Poll

What is the true purpose of this mini?

To explore and solidify their relationship.
To officially split them apart.
Neither, just a fun adventure.

Author Topic: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk  (Read 151785 times)

Offline cajunpirate

• Master Thief
Re: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk
« Reply #780 on: May 10, 2018, 09:21:33 AM »
Happy I wasn't the only one who had the idea in my head. As I said, I don't like the idea either, but the past month or two with the Gambit appearances in books just made me think something was up. Looks like they are a couple again, which is a shame. There was so much potential with Gambit flirting with other female heroes...even X-Factor had him trying with Polaris.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #781 on: May 10, 2018, 09:48:06 AM »
Happy I wasn't the only one who had the idea in my head. As I said, I don't like the idea either, but the past month or two with the Gambit appearances in books just made me think something was up. Looks like they are a couple again, which is a shame. There was so much potential with Gambit flirting with other female heroes...even X-Factor had him trying with Polaris.
Agreed, welcome to the "legion" ... if you haven't checked the other site and the sales thread, apparently it could be speculated the Legion of non-romys or Remy fans didn't support the book thus bad sales. It's easy to put the sales woes somewhere but ... I don't think it was the legion, imo.

http://community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?110950-X-Books-Sales-April

We will pick a Legion Commander .. perhaps a poll for one.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 10:34:33 AM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #782 on: May 10, 2018, 10:36:23 AM »
I too would've loved to see Gambit and Polaris hook up for a little bit before going back to Rogue and Havok. Polaris was actually my favourite choice for Gambit to date after Rogue.
There was that one "date" Gambit had with Hellcat that was hilarious, even though Remy found her a little obnoxious...but I enjoyed the scene.

During Gambit's break from Rogue, he did sleep with other women, but meaningless and forgettable characters really, they all seemed like rebounds. I would've liked a known character, and not Belladonna or Frenzy...someone high profile, like Polaris.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #783 on: May 10, 2018, 11:47:40 AM »
I too would've loved to see Gambit and Polaris hook up for a little bit before going back to Rogue and Havok. Polaris was actually my favourite choice for Gambit to date after Rogue.
There was that one "date" Gambit had with Hellcat that was hilarious, even though Remy found her a little obnoxious...but I enjoyed the scene.

During Gambit's break from Rogue, he did sleep with other women, but meaningless and forgettable characters really, they all seemed like rebounds. I would've liked a known character, and not Belladonna or Frenzy...someone high profile, like Polaris
I also wanted a high profile character for Gambit as well. Polaris - my favorite choice, followed by Sage and Jean ... Though Sage probably isn't as high profile.
Edit:
BTW - all of Rogue's flings during the break up have been high profile characters. Magneto, Torch (I know off panel, what ever), Deadpool or not Deadpool (no clue what is going on with that -whatever again) ... the point being ... Rogue's play  things are not the made for her types who no one cares about. Again, Rogue being treated a tad better than Gambit.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 11:57:26 AM by Nekobaghira »

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #784 on: May 10, 2018, 01:41:21 PM »
Edit:
BTW - all of Rogue's flings during the break up have been high profile characters. Magneto, Torch (I know off panel, what ever), Deadpool or not Deadpool (no clue what is going on with that -whatever again) ... the point being ... Rogue's play  things are not the made for her types who no one cares about. Again, Rogue being treated a tad better than Gambit.

I don't believe Rogue and Deadpool did anything more than kiss, but I haven't actually been reading Avengers. To your second point, I think a lot of those times were cases of writers shipping their favorite characters w/ Rogue bc they have the hots for her, which (as a Rogue fan) kinda grosses me out.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #785 on: May 10, 2018, 02:28:37 PM »

I don't believe Rogue and Deadpool did anything more than kiss, but I haven't actually been reading Avengers. To your second point, I think a lot of those times were cases of writers shipping their favorite characters w/ Rogue bc they have the hots for her, which (as a Rogue fan) kinda grosses me out.
I would agree on the shipping thing, especially with Magneto. However, I didn't find that as horrendous as others did.  :D
I don't know whats going on with Deadpool, which is why I was so vague.

The Torch thing was for story or something, and done off panel for no reason other than not having to put it in a book. Say it for drama and move on. :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 02:33:51 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #786 on: May 10, 2018, 02:56:31 PM »
If the past 25 years haven't told you all enough, Marvel allows Gambit to be a ladies man and romancer only off panel. And if any one you think that in today's climate that would change, you're out of feather plucking minds. But feel free to stay crazy my friends. Keeps life interesting.

I think I was the main voice for mini entitled "Gambit @&#&# the Marvel Universe" (title was a joke) where Gambit goes out on one date but throughout the span of 5 issues ends up on several "encounters" (She Hulk, Maria Hill, Viper, Spider-Woman etc, just all over the place) and in the midst of it all saves the world /universe from destruction. Similarly to the Buffy episode "the Zeppo", where Xander is pushed to the sidelines but goes off on his own adventures ultimately being the main proponent that saves the day and discovers himself.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 02:58:43 PM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nox

• Guild Member
« Reply #787 on: May 10, 2018, 06:57:20 PM »
I also wanted a high profile character for Gambit as well. Polaris - my favorite choice, followed by Sage and Jean ... Though Sage probably isn't as high profile.
Edit:

I agree with your list of potential Gambit girlfriends, post-break up. It's a shame PAD didn't properly develop the Polaris/Gambit relationship. A missed opportunity if you ask me.

I guess one could rationalize Gambit's lack of relationships with A-listers as him having adopted a "don't date a teammate" attitude after Rogue broke his heart...but honestly, I don't think the writers gave it that much thought.

I actually didn't mind Rogue/Deadpool. I found it more believable than Rogue/Magneto. Deadpool's got a great sense of humour and while Magneto makes a good villain, he's otherwise just...well...a bit boring IMHO.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 07:18:01 PM by Nox »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #788 on: May 10, 2018, 10:20:05 PM »
As obvious as the Rogue/ Deadpool thing was, you're right, it did make more sense than Magneto.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #789 on: May 10, 2018, 10:30:05 PM »
I want to ask why ... why is Deadpool more acceptable than Magneto? I am not looking for a character vs character thing - but why?
Or did I miss something ... in the end though ... it is what it is ... but  .... I'm not really understanding this entire issue.
From my pov - Rogue is sowing her oats as it were and Gambit ... is held accountable for doing the same thing.
I don't get it. :)

Offline Paradox Jast

• X-Man Teacher
    • Jasticus on Fanfiction.net
« Reply #790 on: May 10, 2018, 11:25:51 PM »
Deadpool is more mainstream?
Deadpool is more relateable?
Deadpool isn't a on-again, off-again megalomaniac?
The Magneto and Rogue angle had already been done in AoA, so people prefer something different?
Deadpool doesn't suffer from delusions of grandeur? Just regular delusions for him.

Just throwing possibilities out there...

I don't understand the whole 'Rogue can do whatever with whoever' angle either. The most action Gambit gets outside of Rogue (on panel) is a kiss with Jean-bot in the danger room, having his lips assaulted by Sage when he was blind, and a cringy-why-did-it-happen-this-way kiss with Polaris.

Oh yeah, and he got set up to sleep with his boss's wife at Serval. *shrug*

Offline Nox

• Guild Member
« Reply #791 on: May 10, 2018, 11:29:08 PM »
Well, there are a number of reasons why I, personally, dislike the Rogue/Magneto relationship, but the one point I really can't wrap my head around or rationalize is mainly this one: Magneto was the one behind the trial of Gambit. Gambit nearly died in Antarctica. It ruined their relationship and it traumatized both of them (as evidenced in R+G). Plus, let's not forget that Magneto filmed everything.

I mean, I can understand if Rogue had a crush on Magneto way back when, but to have an older more mature version of herself (who knows Magneto was behind it all) just...forgive and forget? I just don't buy it. Lord knows, I like Rogue a lot, but I don't think she's that forgiving. That's why it never made sense to me.  :)

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #792 on: May 11, 2018, 09:56:12 AM »
Deadpool is funnier, basically. When it comes to violence in media, funnier is always more 'acceptable' because it seems less real, and more like a cartoon. And Deadpool's never done bad stuff to her before (like kidnap her and lock her in a cave) they also didn't have bad power dynamic, Deadpool wasn't the her 'boss' nor was he supposed to be more powerful. Whereas mags is always more powerful and always in charge in some way. In legacy he was 'Vice President of uptopia and in AoA he was literal her boss/teacher/foster father. I still don't like Rogue/Deadpool because if it ever did go anywhere, she'd have to give up all of her moral/philosophy ideals to stay with him, which is not good, and he'd be an incredibly annoying boyfriend. But most people still find annoying boyfriends more acceptable than domonieering and frankly, abusive boyfriends.

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #793 on: May 11, 2018, 12:10:30 PM »
Deadpool's a far better choice for Rogue than Magneto. Far less depressing as well...
As much as I HATE seeing Gambit in love-triangles, one that involves Deadpool could actually be half-entertaining if written well. But I really don't have the energy to read something like that ever again to be honest, but I'm sure there's a lot of unimaginative writers at Marvel plotting such garbage.
Though the Joelle triangle was great, because it was actually refreshing to see Rogue act jealous for once and have her chasing Gambit around, especially after she ignored him throughout Legacy while he was chasing her like a pathetic unwanted puppy. Such an embarrassing time to be a Gambit fan.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #794 on: May 11, 2018, 02:51:51 PM »
Man forget all that. In Anarctica ge tortured them, filmed them having sex at least twice and then kept the tape. All just to play mind games that ended with Gambit nearly dieing a slow death. Before that, he spent a lot of the last decade in direct conflict with the X-Men. Nearly killed several of their friends. It's personal.

Deadpool was just a another guy. No reason to really dislike it other than it was another example of a writer sticking Rogue with their favorite character.