Poll

What is the true purpose of this mini?

To explore and solidify their relationship.
To officially split them apart.
Neither, just a fun adventure.

Author Topic: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk  (Read 148561 times)

Offline Nox

• Guild Member
Re: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk
« Reply #810 on: June 07, 2018, 06:21:48 PM »
Couple things I wouldn't mind seeing in a future vol;

I think tackling their relationship from the more Gambit centric side would be interesting. I'd recommend using Laura in a more little sister role. Have her no be completely sold on the idea of Gambit being back with Rogue. Not from a jealousy standpoint, but more like a bratty little sister. For all intents and purposes, Laura has only heard of the two together, never been around with them as a couple. Let her ask the hard questions, but more from protective stance of Gambit. We've had other characters (and creators) do the same for Rogue. Laura can ask Gambit "why are you doing this again?" It could be both rhetorical and real as Laura may not be all that familiar with romantic forgiveness.

Oli and Becca; their son and daughter from the "The End" timeline. We've seen the couple get wrapped up in time travel exploits before. Perhaps bring back that Princess Gem thing. Have them glimpse or briefly visit that future timeline. Get some reactions from them and even tie up Oli's issues with his father. He blamed Gambit for Rogue's death. Give the character some closure and I'd love to have KT write Rogue's reaction to meeting her possible adult children, probably something she never thought she'd have, then given hope, just to have it ripped away again when her powers got scrambled back in UA.

That triple team-up book with Laura would be pretty great, actually. I really like that idea.

I'd love the idea of bringing back something like GeNext (that's what it was called, I think?). I thought it was a great concept. Wasn't totally sold on the roster though...I think a few x-kids had mystery parentage, right? Which I didn't understand. You have a ton of interesting X-couples to pick from, why would CC not capitalize on that?

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #811 on: June 08, 2018, 03:49:36 AM »
Don, it seems someone really liked your idea and asked KT.

Someone on CBR pointed out the fact that Laura would be protective towards Gambit and would act a bit bratty towards Rogue like a little sister that wouldn't completely trust her big brother's girlfriend because of their past issues. I think that would be quite cool to read. What are your thoughts ?

I can see how Laura might not be completely trusting of Rogue, but I also think Laura really respects people’s privacy and their agency. I don’t see her as interfering in whatever choices Remy is going to make. She knows he’s an adult and she knows that only he knows what’s best for him. She’s also not inclined to interfere or be bratty/dramatic. It’s just not who she is.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #812 on: June 08, 2018, 09:04:08 AM »
... well thats weird, someone running off with the idea lol. But yeah, of course, Laura wouldn't go out of her way, but if some reason they were unavoidably stuck together (the 3 of them), then something would be there. Perhaps set it off at the mansion or in the city and have Gambit deliberately bring her along for something after noticing the tension, just to have it blow up in his face, but in the end it's squashed..but that's probably better for a two-issue arc in an ongoing not a 5 part mini.

Eff it. Writing another short story.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 09:07:54 AM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nox

• Guild Member
« Reply #813 on: June 08, 2018, 06:11:15 PM »
Don, it seems someone really liked your idea and asked KT.

Well, it wasn't me! LOL. I still think it's a good story idea though...

Offline Nox

• Guild Member
« Reply #814 on: June 19, 2018, 07:03:33 PM »
KT interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7PFYRtpumY&feature=youtu.be

No real spoilers there, since it was filmed before she was able to talk about Mr & Mrs X.

Offline jpraner

• Mark
« Reply #815 on: June 21, 2018, 11:25:06 PM »
Quote from: Nekobaghira link=topic=5109. msg73448#msg73448 date=1525967260
I also wanted a high profile character for Gambit as well.  Polaris - my favorite choice, followed by Sage and Jean . . .  Though Sage probably isn't as high profile.
Edit:
BTW - all of Rogue's flings during the break up have been high profile characters.  Magneto, Torch (I know off panel, what ever), Deadpool or not Deadpool (no clue what is going on with that -whatever again) . . .  the point being . . .  Rogue's play  things are not the made for her types who no one cares about.  Again, Rogue being treated a tad better than Gambit.

I feel like she has been made into an (o) by the writers.  She might have slept with higher profile characters but it's just added to her terrible reputation.  I'm glad she's being written as more likable recently.  I feel like Remender and others have degraded her personality over time and this may be a return to her 90s earnest-ness. 

Online Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #816 on: June 21, 2018, 11:27:40 PM »
Welcome jpraner to the forum.

There is the thing about writers wanting to insert themselves into the narrative, I don't know if its true. But ... maybe that is the why the treatment of being with the fav of the month would be. :)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #817 on: June 22, 2018, 12:24:06 AM »
...perhaps using a word other than "insert" would be better. ;)

But if you look at whom and how it's done it's hard to ignore. It's nearly always the writers favorite and typically the one that's handling some or all the of the books pov. They can't have Rogue themselves, might as well imagine what it's like via their comic avatar. I will say Deadpool was the tamest example even though unlike the rest, Duggan observed it outside of the book occurred. He sorta carried it over into his Deadpool solo. Wade seemed more taken with Rogue than she was willing to go with him.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Online Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #818 on: June 22, 2018, 12:34:18 AM »
...perhaps using a word other than "insert" would be better. ;)
Its the right word and you know it! LMAO

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #819 on: June 22, 2018, 12:37:25 AM »
Its the right word and you know it! LMAO

Well that would have "narrative" mean something completely different than what Websters explains.

Online Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #820 on: June 22, 2018, 01:15:39 AM »

Well that would have "narrative" mean something completely different than what Websters explains.
Oh c'mon .... "narrative", insert the writer to be apart of a story that they are writing to give them the perspective they want. LOL

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #821 on: June 22, 2018, 09:28:09 AM »
Lol, 'insert' is a completely accurate word for the situation.  ;D

Offline DearMachine

• Journeyman
« Reply #822 on: June 22, 2018, 09:55:04 AM »
Weirdly, I thought KT had a good explanation for Rogue's behavior.  For most of her adult life, she wasn't able to touch anyone, and she had only really dated one person (well, maybe Joseph too, maybe), let alone had serious, long-term relationships.  She's in love with Gambit, but also knows they've had a very complicated, tempestuous relationship, and is scared that she is making a terrible mistake with him out of lack of experience.  So, she plays the field.  She gets with guys who are interested in her, and, after Magneto, maybe goes for people with whom she doesn't have a deep emotional connection, because she wants something uncomplicated.  Torch is pretty.  Deadpool is . . .  fun? Why not? She's single. 

Yeah, I know it's a retcon of some bad male writing, but it's a good retcon.  It makes sense.

Plus, Rogue canonically has terrible taste in men.  She had a serious crush on Longshot, which is all the evidence you need . . .  even if Joseph did not exist, and he does.  She just got lucky with Gambit.  :D

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #823 on: June 23, 2018, 10:22:03 AM »
Not even 'in her adult life', she never had a boyfriend as a teenager either, because of her powers and her crazy mom.  And she didn't even really have that mini ch of an 'emotional connection ' to mags, because it feel apart so fast and there was brainwashing involved . Yes I know the 'real' reason was because it was not a good story, did not take off and did not become the next Scott and Emma, and so other writers didn't stick with it. ;) So yeah, good enough explanation, though even Carey said the fake memories/brainwashing was a factor, I kinda wish KT had gone with that more, but we don't get everything we want.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 04:51:45 PM by anya »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #824 on: June 23, 2018, 08:40:14 PM »
Oh c'mon .... "narrative", insert the writer to be apart of a story that they are writing to give them the perspective they want. LOL

I don't think you caught my joke. It was rather crude anyway.  :-[  but still funny and accurate.