Poll

What is the true purpose of this mini?

To explore and solidify their relationship.
To officially split them apart.
Neither, just a fun adventure.

Author Topic: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk  (Read 148584 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk
« Reply #840 on: July 03, 2018, 06:59:06 PM »
Does Marvel track digital sales or is it just the physical copies sold? I've stopped going to shops, because it's too much of a hassle. I just get the digital copy then buy the trade when it comes out.

Marvel tracks them. They have to. They just don't release the numbers.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nox

• Guild Member
« Reply #841 on: July 03, 2018, 07:10:54 PM »

Marvel tracks them. They have to. They just don't release the numbers.

Right! Thanks. I don't understand why they don't post the numbers.  ???

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #842 on: July 03, 2018, 08:10:23 PM »
No businesses release their sale data, really. Only as much as is required by law, for like shareholders and such. Sales info is considered propriety data, (they don't want competitors to get ahold of that info) if any employee who knew it released it publicly they would be fired and likely sued by Marvel. The numbers that get argued about on forums are not 'released' by marvel, estimates made by comichron, trying to guess the sales. 

Long story short, marvel absolutely tracks digital sales, but they ain't never gonna release those numbers. They'll only talk about them in generalities.

Offline Nox

• Guild Member
« Reply #843 on: July 03, 2018, 08:23:14 PM »
No businesses release their sale data, really. Only as much as is required by law, for like shareholders and such. Sales info is considered propriety data, (they don't want competitors to get ahold of that info) if any employee who knew it released it publicly they would be fired and likely sued by Marvel. The numbers that get argued about on forums are not 'released' by marvel, estimates made by comichron, trying to guess the sales. 

Long story short, marvel absolutely tracks digital sales, but they ain't never gonna release those numbers. They'll only talk about them in generalities.

Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining.  :)

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #844 on: July 03, 2018, 11:40:08 PM »
In regards of comic sales (printed), Gail Simone explains it quite well on the 2nd page of this thread...

http://community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?112541-X-Books-Sales-for-May/page2

I'll just quote her here...

They are estimates of a narrow but significant number. They are valuable mostly in comparison to other numbers estimated the exact same way, ie. month by month for the same title, or in overall comparison to other titles. They can be useful determining market share (though it’s still a guess), but are less valuable in determining dollar share (for which they are pretty much useless).[/size]It’s data, but it’s not hugely useful for the result people most often use it to express. Anyone calling themselves an expert based on these numbers simply doesn’t know the full picture. Retailers know more, publishers know more still, and even creators don;t get a full picture until MUCH later. In some cases, we never really do get the full picture. So we can be completely in the dark for months at a time. There’s no condescension here, it’s just multiple revenue streams and the fact that many purchase outlets are not included in this estimate.It’s odd. And honestly, we are often just as in the dark as anyone. Insider sales knowledge can be hard to come by and very slow to arrive. But when it does arrive, there are a lot of outlets that this estimate doesn’t cover.Hope that makes sense. It’s good information, and on the whole it can be meaningful, but some books are hugely profitable in ways this list doesn’t even cover. The reverse is also true, some sales numbers are inflated and don’t actually get purchased.I wish this stuff was a lot more transparent. Hope that helps![/color]

She was referring to the 70% drop of sales in Domino #2 (according to the public sales charts).

...and that's probably why a book like 'Iceman' got another shot at an ongoing. Even though Iceman's sales numbers towards the end were in just 4-digit numbers (maybe as low as 8,000), but apparently it did well in TPB form (and maybe digitally too?). It also had solid reviews (sometimes quality wins). Perhaps it was the same for 'Rogue & Gambit'. I noticed most of the Tumblr ROMY fans were posting screenshots of their DIGITAL purchase, and it had a big social media response.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #845 on: July 04, 2018, 12:56:09 AM »
Yeah, I read that on CBR to. It's a nice way of saying the numbers that are given to us are not exact and we're not telling. All anyone can do is look at how many books are sold at each shop and try to devise a rough estimate. If that estimate isn't to the creators/publishers liking, then they should just release the daggon numbers and stop fighting critics with phantom figures. Can't have it both ways. Basically telling the public "you don't know, but we kind of do, but won't tell you, so stop making educated guesses".

Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #846 on: July 10, 2018, 05:04:53 PM »
Not fully agree here.
Maybe that sales not full but they give more then enough info.

If you are under 20k and you are not Captain Marvel then you will be cancelled.
Iceman sold a lot as trades so they gave him 2nd chance.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #847 on: July 11, 2018, 02:53:44 PM »
But you see... We don't know what those numbers are. That's the problem lol.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #848 on: July 11, 2018, 03:56:24 PM »
Eh Marvel can say what they want about trade as the numbers are not public.  Did Iceman magically sell more in trade and of so why?  Or is it the case they gave it a second chance because someone at Marvel thinks it fits their agenda. 
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #849 on: July 11, 2018, 04:13:19 PM »
Eh Marvel can say what they want about trade as the numbers are not public.  Did Iceman magically sell more in trade and of so why?  Or is it the case they gave it a second chance because someone at Marvel thinks it fits their agenda.

I agree. They gave first solo only because he became gay.
I am not a fan of writer.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #850 on: July 11, 2018, 04:19:36 PM »

They said it did well in trades. But it's a mini, not an ongoing as they don't make known. If people believe it's a ongoing the sales will be higher, specifically for issue 1.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #851 on: July 11, 2018, 06:54:31 PM »
I know they did.  I am saying without numbers that is subjective.  What is well mean?  I think it entirely possible that other books did better in trade but still got canceled for various reasons.  Unless you see Iceman numbers and can compare it to other books then it did well in trade is a meaningless comment.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline saksiv

• Gambler
« Reply #852 on: July 12, 2018, 04:22:32 AM »
Hello Guys!

When it comes to sales numbers, I think they don`t represent anything at all.  Because today its mostly digital, and thre are more "readers" world wide than "collectors".

Here is my reasoning. [/size]Most ROMY shippers come from XTAS, and XTAS was actually aired around the globe.  So you can imagine how many shippers are out there. And the best part about it is that they are adults (around 30) and adults have money to spend and dont have time to search for scans. I read the mini on bus on my phone with marvell app.  it was greate!I lurk in Russsian internet.  And guess what 40% of X-men fanfiction is Romy.
So its possible that on paper the mini didn`t sell well, but on didgital it could have outsold anybook. I believe that when the first issue of RG mini by KT went to sale. Te Marketing guy who saw the numbers was like: "Exclusive deal to Kelly Thompson!!! Hijack the wedding!!!! RG Ongoing!!!"))
[/color]

Offline saksiv

• Gambler
« Reply #853 on: July 12, 2018, 04:33:52 AM »
Oh and marvell also wont ever reveal those numbers because of work ethics.

Just imagine what a toxic enviorment it would be if the creators knew how much actual money each of them bring to company. 

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #854 on: July 12, 2018, 07:18:18 AM »
I know they did.  I am saying without numbers that is subjective.  What is well mean?  I think it entirely possible that other books did better in trade but still got canceled for various reasons.  Unless you see Iceman numbers and can compare it to other books then it did well in trade is a meaningless comment.

I'm in 100% agreement with you, remydat.
Who Dat