Author Topic: Disney Fox buy out?  (Read 10762 times)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
Disney Fox buy out?
« on: November 10, 2017, 04:41:33 PM »
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 05:01:53 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
Re: Disney Fox buy out?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 05:34:01 PM »

it solves some issues ...

Which issues are you talking about?

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 05:54:32 PM »

Which issues are you talking about?

Complicated to explain - I'm gonna try to boiler plate it down because walls of text stink. LOL

Marvel worked out an arrangement with Fox and Sony - they rented the licensing rights of Xmen to Fox, Spider-Man to Sony. The problem is length of time for these agreements.

Marvel was in a state of bankruptcy at the time of these arrangements. The movie licensing allowed Marvel to stay in business. As long as Fox and Sony made new movies on a regular basis, the contract is good.

Disney bought Marvel.

Marvel has their own movie studio (Marvel Studios) and is able to produce their properties with success. Guardians, Avengers, Thor, etc.

It is believed Marvel want their rights back of the Xmen and Spider-Man.

This has lead to the belief that Marvel is not promoting the Xmen properly because they don't want to support Fox. Marvel wants their licensing back but due to their agreement, they don't have access to the Xmen in the movie realm. Any character deemed in the Xmen world is off limits to Marvel Studios. Thus Marvel's supportive approach to properties like Inhumans, Avengers and all of their other stuff that they have complete control over in all forms.

If Disney buys Fox - the licensing for the Xmen will go back to Marvel as Fox would become a subsidiary of the Disney/Marvel brand.

There is a whole thread on the opinion of all of this at CBR. It's called "The Complex".

Edit: Anyone else have more details or if I've misstated something or what have you, please contribute. :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 06:21:31 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 12:00:48 AM »
Oh, I see what you're saying. Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what will happen. Can't help but think it it does go through we would see a big resurgence for the X-Men in cartoons, action figs, video games, etc

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
another possible buyer
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 07:17:01 PM »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 01:52:07 PM »
Comcast maybe trying to mess up this deal .....

https://www.cbr.com/disney-fox-cash-offer/?utm_content=buffer434f5&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_source=CBR-TW&utm_campaign=CBR-TW

"Trying" I think is the keyword. I don't foresee them being able to outbid Disney

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 01:57:40 PM »
They don't have to outbid Disney, just give a qualifying offer. If Comcast does something like a cash offer over stock options (like what Disney is offering), it'd be grounds for the Federal Government to step in and kind of pressure Fox to take the Comcast offer or possibly be accused of colluding to create a monopoly within the industry. 50B half of it being cash can be seen as better than 60B with a third of which being stocks. These aren't official numbers, just something I'm using to make a point.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 10:30:59 AM »
I would think Comcast would have bigger 'monopoly ' issues

Offline Rakkner

• Journeyman
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 02:10:06 PM »
I think I might jump off my balcony if Comcast acquires the X-men

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 03:13:37 PM »
Fox rejected Comcast last year due to antitrust issues not sure what changed with that ....
Maybe Comcast go rid of some properties to make themselves more viable? I dunno.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/05/30/fox-will-hold-shareholders-meeting-soon-to-determine-disney-sale

Offline Paradox Jast

• X-Man Teacher
    • Jasticus on Fanfiction.net
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 07:53:55 PM »
Who knows if it could really happen in such a way, but it would be awesome if the shareholders in this situation were allowed to say 'Sure, sell to Comcast, but only if Disney gets all the Marvel properties back.' or something like that.

Offline Nox

• Guild Member
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 06:31:02 PM »

Offline Paneo01

• X-Man Mentor
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 03:29:29 PM »
Hopefully this will be decided soon.

Offline Paneo01

• X-Man Mentor