Author Topic: X-Men Red  (Read 41249 times)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
Re: X-Men Red
« Reply #165 on: July 03, 2018, 12:10:01 PM »
I liked Gambit in Liu's AXM. He was strong and confident.

If RED would deliver such Remy then I would be happy.
Will see how he will be written with team.

So far he was just on his own in RED.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #166 on: July 03, 2018, 12:18:55 PM »
Agreed, will have to wait and see how he fares in Red now that he is on his team and what exactly his role will be.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #167 on: July 03, 2018, 12:33:06 PM »
Right... Right, what did he do in Astonishing, again? Just a beat. Because all I can remember him doing was be drawn with the most rectangular shoulders in history and acquiring 3 cats. Think he talked to Bobby about darkness (which was never addressed within him) and drank wine with Cecelia in the beginning. I honestly can't remember if he fought the Marauders or not in that issue...

Wait, I'm remembering something... He threw a card at Iceman's foot.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #168 on: July 03, 2018, 12:59:54 PM »
Right... Right, what did he do in Astonishing, again? Just a beat. Because all I can remember him doing was be drawn with the most rectangular shoulders in history and acquiring 3 cats. Think he talked to Bobby about darkness (which was never addressed within him) and drank wine with Cecelia in the beginning. I honestly can't remember if he fought the Marauders or not in that issue...

He charged giant foot.
I dunno. He wasn't the main character but he was written well always. And his dialogues was important. Not just where we should go or how we can do this type of questions.

Definetely it could be better. But overall I liked it.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #169 on: July 03, 2018, 01:25:08 PM »

He charged giant foot.
I dunno. He wasn't the main character but he was written well always. And his dialogues was important. Not just where we should go or how we can do this type of questions.

Definetely it could be better. But overall I liked it.

hmm... who was the main character in that book.

I find it odd, that you we're singing it's praises but when it was ongoing, we were all in the same opinion of how disappointed we were by Gambit's role, or lack thereof, especially with what the Dark Iceman arc was about (seeing as it should have had more of him in it due to being affected by the death seed himself) and because we were all waiting for this "Gambit Arc" that was promised to us during it's run.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #170 on: July 03, 2018, 01:29:48 PM »
Gambit's role in Astonishing wasn't exactly bad IMO, it was just small and forgettable. I was all excited about it back then because of how well Liu had written him in X-23 (although if I have one complaint about Liu is that her Gambit was a little bit too nice) but it just didn't deliver. He did nothing outstanding or memorable and he wouldn't have to had his development been better. Honestly when I think of it all I remember is his dull relationship with Cecilia Reyes that went nowhere.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #171 on: July 03, 2018, 02:12:39 PM »

He developed relationships with Northstar, Iceman, Karma and Cecelia.  He provided advice to all of them and was respected by his teammates.  He was no longer a pariah or merely Rogue's on again/off again boyfriend. 

I get that for people that only want him to hold Rogue's drink while she does everything that may not mean much but for me I enjoyed reading it.  What did he do in the mini aside from cry about carrying all the baggage while waiting for Rogue to make a decision?  Oh great he was able to beat up powered down versions of himself and Rogue.  And hurt a character who was as threatening as one of his kittens.  Great whoop.  In any event, To each his/her own. 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 02:17:05 PM by remydat »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #172 on: July 03, 2018, 02:22:39 PM »
He developed relationships with Northstar, Iceman, Karma and Cecelia.  He provided advice to all of them and was respected by his teammates.  He was no longer a pariah or merely Rogue's on again/off again boyfriend. 

I get that for people that only want him to hold Rogue's drink while she does everything that may not mean much but for me I enjoyed reading it.  What did he do in the mini aside from cry about carrying all the baggage while waiting for Rogue to make a decision?  Oh great he was able to beat up powered down versions of himself and Rogue.  And hurt a character who was as threatening as one of his kittens.  Great whoop.  In any event, To each his/her own. 

Noone talks about Rogue here. Relax it is not cbr.
It is a polite place for Gambit fans.
Noone wants him just to hold Rogue's drink.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #173 on: July 03, 2018, 02:34:01 PM »

Noone talks about Rogue here. Relax it is not cbr.
It is a polite place for Gambit fans.
Noone wants him just to hold Rogue's drink.

Really?  What has been released by Marvel regarding the new book that was Gambit focused?  That promo art in the other thread was of Gambit wrapped in a blanket?  The NYT times article was about Gambit's POV about the wedding? 

I made a comment about X-men Red not AXM.  Don P brought up AXM by way of comparison and I think it is fair game to point out the biggest draw of AXM and X-men Red is that they do no involve Rogue.  Gambit got to build other relationships. 

So again, to each his her own. We don't have to like the same things and I will defend X-men Red and AXM just like you guys will defend Rogue and her sidekick in that other book.  It is what it is.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 02:35:35 PM by remydat »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #174 on: July 03, 2018, 02:38:45 PM »
Really?  What has been released by Marvel regarding the new book that was Gambit focused?  That promo art in the other thread was of Gambit wrapped in a blanket?  The NYT times article was about Gambit's POV about the wedding? 

I made a comment about X-men Red not AXM.  Don P brought up AXM by way of comparison and I think it is fair game to point out the biggest draw of AXM and X-men Red is that they do no involve Rogue.  Gambit got to build other relationships. 

So again, to each his her own. We don't have to like the same things and I will defend X-men Red and AXM just like you guys will defend Rogue and her sidekick in that other book.  It is what it is.

We are all Gambit fans here. Telling that someone here just want Gambit to hold Rogue' s drinks is ridiculous.
Respect other posters and they will respect you.

Your Rogue hate shouldn't influance on how you speak with other posters.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #175 on: July 03, 2018, 02:40:45 PM »
Gambit was with Storm and X 23 on prevoius monday. This monday we got Rogue pic.

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #176 on: July 03, 2018, 02:56:35 PM »

Why do you have to make everything about Rogue? No one was talking about her here.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #177 on: July 03, 2018, 03:53:53 PM »
...I brought up AXM to compare his usage rate and what he actually did while on that cast. A book where he was barely utilized past being a voice of reason (sometimes). I drew the comparison because of the cast size. If he was barely used there, I can't imagine what's going to happen in a book the size of Red. Saying he developed friendships? I guess that'd be fair if the happenings in that book were even acknowledged past him receiving those cats (Bendis completely invalidated the book's biggest arc with Iceman dealing with his past relationships). Basically, Gambit was in the whole run and didnt do a thing worthy of note past some interactions, as you described. Lui said we were to get a whole arc revolving around him, but that didnt happen. I don't understand why you are getting so worked up over it. I clearly remember you being as unimpressed then. I didn't think it'd irk you, at all. You seem to be taking this as a personal attack? My apologies.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #178 on: July 04, 2018, 12:44:59 AM »

We are all Gambit fans here. Telling that someone here just want Gambit to hold Rogue' s drinks is ridiculous.
Respect other posters and they will respect you.

Your Rogue hate shouldn't influance on how you speak with other posters.

Don P was obviously being dismissive of Gambit's role in the book and so I responded that I would rather he give the team lectures than hold Rogue's drink.  Not sure what there is to get emotional about.  I responded in the manner in which I was engaged.  Shots were fired and I fired back.  Having said that, I don't care that Don P was being flippant as I considered it to be a simple tit for tat exchange.  Ya'll getting all bent outta shape about it as if Rogue is a real person whose feelings will be hurt.

So Astonishing where Gambit populates the background and gives the team lectures and #&#&. Sweet. Good times.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 12:50:57 AM by remydat »

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #179 on: July 04, 2018, 12:56:30 AM »
...I brought up AXM to compare his usage rate and what he actually did while on that cast. A book where he was barely utilized past being a voice of reason (sometimes). I drew the comparison because of the cast size. If he was barely used there, I can't imagine what's going to happen in a book the size of Red. Saying he developed friendships? I guess that'd be fair if the happenings in that book were even acknowledged past him receiving those cats (Bendis completely invalidated the book's biggest arc with Iceman dealing with his past relationships). Basically, Gambit was in the whole run and didnt do a thing worthy of note past some interactions, as you described. Lui said we were to get a whole arc revolving around him, but that didnt happen. I don't understand why you are getting so worked up over it. I clearly remember you being as unimpressed then. I didn't think it'd irk you, at all. You seem to be taking this as a personal attack? My apologies.

I didn't take it as a personal attack.  I simply responded in kind.  For Gambit fans, I think sometimes you guys get a bit too worked up anytime someone says something about Rogue or Romy.  90% of the time I am just messing around with the stuff I say but it is like all the Romy or Rogue fans fly off the handle.

And no you are misrembering, I was always fond of Liu's run and defended it back then as I am now. I enjoyed his relationship with CeCe while most including Neko did not if I recall.  I also enjoyed his relationship with Karma which is why to this day, any put together a team thread, I always include Karma with Gambit.  If I had to rank my favorite Gambit books of the last 10 years, it would have to be X-23, the solo and Liu's AXM in that order.

So I think we just fundamentally disagree on what makes a good Gambit book.  I am not interested in feats or him appearing all the time.  I am interested in relationships and his relationships in that book surpass any of the nonsense with Rogue the past decade including KT's mini.  We just want different things for Gambit which is perfectly fine.

Finally, the fact no other writer picked it up has nothing to do with the value of the story as Marvel sucks.  You have said so many times.  No writer has picked up Gambit as the true king of Thieves so does that mean I shouldn't enjoy the solo?  And let's be real, if nothing ever came of the KT mini, many of you would still have enjoyed it as ya'll said so at the time.  I don't judge stories based on whether a poorly run organization like Marvel continues them in other books.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 01:06:26 AM by remydat »