Author Topic: X-Men Red  (Read 41275 times)

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
Re: X-Men Red
« Reply #195 on: July 05, 2018, 07:36:27 PM »
You said the following,

I'm glad Nightcrawler asked Jean about what she did but her explanation didn't really validate what she did. She did something wrong to prevent something worse.

That is your opinion on it not Taylor's and it is that opinion I don't agree with.  I was fine with NC bringing it up and I was fine with Jean's response for the reasons I stated. 

As for Trinary, you said you can't buy her as a protagonist because she is a cyber terrorist.  My point is that really can't solely be it because you clearly enjoy the X-men and Gambit as protagonists despite them being thieves, criminals, murderers and terrorists.  The point isn't that you approve of their actions.  The point is you still read and enjoyed stories where these things occurred.

No one said the age of Kitty and the O5 make it any better.  My point is you still read the comics did you not?  So again why all of a sudden is it an issue? It is not a question of whether you agree with child soldiers.  It is more so, it never stopped you from reading the comics before.  I don't agree with child soldiers either but I still read the X-men who employ child soldiers all the time because I accept a bit of suspension of disbelief.  Unless their use of child soldiers is so off putting like when they used a mentally unstable Idie.

I never claimed you defended Lavish.  Further I never defended Tchalla and Namor.  In fact, I specifically said I agreed with you.  I simply pointed out that despite agreeing with you, it doesn't bother me that much just like I know you enjoyed the mini despite the incredibly contrived villain Lavish.  The point was not to say you defended Lavish or to disagree with you.  The point was to say how big of a deal these contrived things are to us is entirely down to other factors than the fact it is contrived.    In short, I would argue terrorism, criminal activity, child soldiers, and plot contrivances are a core feature of the X-men books.  So those can't really be reasons you aren't feeling Taylor.  For example, my not liking Lavish is not because I abhor all plot contrivances.  It is because it was done specifically for the benefit of she who shall not be named and rendered Gambit the third wheel in his own supposed relationship.  If not for that, I would have dismissed this plot contrivance like I dismiss many others. 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 07:39:32 PM by remydat »
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #196 on: July 05, 2018, 09:04:39 PM »
You said the following,

I'm glad Nightcrawler asked Jean about what she did but her explanation didn't really validate what she did. She did something wrong to prevent something worse.

That is your opinion on it not Taylor's and it is that opinion I don't agree with.  I was fine with NC bringing it up and I was fine with Jean's response for the reasons I stated. 

As for Trinary, you said you can't buy her as a protagonist because she is a cyber terrorist.  My point is that really can't solely be it because you clearly enjoy the X-men and Gambit as protagonists despite them being thieves, criminals, murderers and terrorists.  The point isn't that you approve of their actions.  The point is you still read and enjoyed stories where these things occurred.

No one said the age of Kitty and the O5 make it any better.  My point is you still read the comics did you not?  So again why all of a sudden is it an issue? It is not a question of whether you agree with child soldiers.  It is more so, it never stopped you from reading the comics before.  I don't agree with child soldiers either but I still read the X-men who employ child soldiers all the time because I accept a bit of suspension of disbelief.  Unless their use of child soldiers is so off putting like when they used a mentally unstable Idie.

I never claimed you defended Lavish.  Further I never defended Tchalla and Namor.  In fact, I specifically said I agreed with you.  I simply pointed out that despite agreeing with you, it doesn't bother me that much just like I know you enjoyed the mini despite the incredibly contrived villain Lavish.  The point was not to say you defended Lavish or to disagree with you.  The point was to say how big of a deal these contrived things are to us is entirely down to other factors than the fact it is contrived.    In short, I would argue terrorism, criminal activity, child soldiers, and plot contrivances are a core feature of the X-men books.  So those can't really be reasons you aren't feeling Taylor.  For example, my not liking Lavish is not because I abhor all plot contrivances.  It is because it was done specifically for the benefit of she who shall not be named and rendered Gambit the third wheel in his own supposed relationship.  If not for that, I would have dismissed this plot contrivance like I dismiss many others. 

So you don't believe my reasons? Wow. Ok. You can have this. And no, I didn't read X-Men when Kitty was in the X-Men title (80s). I'm 34 not 44. And I'm still reading this book, haven't stopped yet. I already said its better than AXM and I admit it's the best of the line at the moment, in terms of the "colored" books (but the bar isn't all that high so...). Just not enough to keep me at this rate, but I'm optimistic, mostly due to the change in artist and this last issue was the best of the series thus far. I bought the book(s), something you haven't done yet by your own admission (trade watching, was it?). So I'm more committed to the series than you, funny enough. I don't have to agree with it and my reasons are valid enough for my tastes and how much I'm willing to hand-wave off. Those are my reasons for not being sold on the book yet. I don't like his scripting or generally his pacing thus far. I think it's pie. You asked me to explain (or implied I hadnt yet), I did. Accept it. or not. Your choice buck-o. Enjoy.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #197 on: July 05, 2018, 10:11:42 PM »
I am saying your stated reasons have existed in the books since the X-men were created so sure it seems odd to be that concerned about it now but you are entitled to your opinion.  Hence why I said to each his own.  My saying I disagree doesn't invalidate your opinion.  It just means I disagree.

And sure you are more committed to the books than me.  Never disputed that.  I don't buy Marvel anymore.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #198 on: July 13, 2018, 04:54:52 AM »
https://www.cbr.com/x-men-red-6/

RED 6 Preview

Sooo, do you think it is Gambit?[/size]On fist page Gambit headshot is the last one. Even after Gentle and Gabby.[/color]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 05:32:13 AM by purplevit »

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #199 on: July 13, 2018, 08:08:04 AM »
Gambit was with the rest of the team in that black and white preview that came out some time ago. 

However, if it were Gambit, one could hope that he is tricking Nova somehow and not being mind controlled like an idiot again... That's probably too much to ask. 

Offline Berry

• [insert something witty]
  • X-Man Leader
« Reply #200 on: July 13, 2018, 08:56:32 AM »
If it’s Gambit, he’s not wearing a wedding ring.

And if this is before he joined, how would Cassandra known Jean Grey and the Red crew would bother to care enough about some protest in New Orleans that they’d stop by and recruit Gambit?  Aren’t protests happening all over?  Like, we see another one in Chicago in Extermination.

Caroline: I know it sounds crazy, but alcohol helps.

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #201 on: July 13, 2018, 09:21:24 AM »
Nova's uber powerful, there's not really any shame, so to speak, in getting controlled by her. Though gambit's has been drawn different hair in red.

Edit:stupid autocorrect...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 01:20:24 PM by anya »

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #202 on: July 13, 2018, 09:47:33 AM »
It might just be the art, but that seems like a kid in the preview, someone way younger than Gambit. But, at the same time, I've also noticed that they've been portraying Gambit as being less muscular than usual.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #203 on: July 13, 2018, 04:41:31 PM »
If it’s Gambit, he’s not wearing a wedding ring.

And if this is before he joined, how would Cassandra known Jean Grey and the Red crew would bother to care enough about some protest in New Orleans that they’d stop by and recruit Gambit?  Aren’t protests happening all over?  Like, we see another one in Chicago in Extermination.

Could be she found out they were going to Nola and that scene is Gambit being dejected that the mutant died and CN caught him at a low point.  That then is the reason why he goes to the hospital because he knows from CN that JG is headed there.  Remember he meets JG and her team at the hospital and no telling how long they have been there. Of course just speculating.

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #204 on: July 13, 2018, 04:53:41 PM »

Could be she found out they were going to Nola and that scene is Gambit being dejected that the mutant died and CN caught him at a low point.  That then is the reason why he goes to the hospital because he knows from CN that JG is headed there.  Remember he meets JG and her team at the hospital and no telling how long they have been there. Of course just speculating.

I still don't get how CN could have known JG and co would be there. I'm not that well-versed on her powers, but would she have been able to known through her telepathy?

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #205 on: July 13, 2018, 05:36:10 PM »
Or she could just have someone tracking them or planted something on Storm.  Any number of ways I suppose.

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #206 on: July 13, 2018, 05:36:59 PM »
Yeah, that would probably make more sense

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #207 on: July 18, 2018, 09:14:46 AM »
So just flipped through Red. 

Jean says she is glad Gambit is there because she needs him to steal something.  She then entrusts him with a team to lead on the mission.  X-23 also gives Gambit's props as one of the best thieves on the planet when she instructs Gabby to listen to him so that she can learn how to be a better thief which I thought was cool moment.  The book ends before they complete their mission so should be more to come.

As for the mutant CN has under her thrall, it is Teen Abomination who was created by Taylor for Superior Iron Man.  See wiki below for those that need his backstory

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teen_Abomination

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #208 on: July 18, 2018, 09:40:09 AM »

Jean says she is glad Gambit is there because she needs him to steal something.  She then entrusts him with a team to lead on the mission.  X-23 also gives Gambit's props as one of the best thieves on the planet when she instructs Gabby to listen to him so that she can learn how to be a better thief which I thought was cool moment.  The book ends before they complete their mission so should be more to come.

As for the mutant CN has under her thrall, it is Teen Abomination who was created by Taylor for Superior Iron Man.  See wiki below for those that need his backstory

That sounds awesome. It's gonna be hard to have to wait to go pick this issue up

Offline Paneo01

• X-Man Mentor
« Reply #209 on: July 18, 2018, 10:53:37 AM »

finally..something promising😀