Author Topic: X-Men Red  (Read 41288 times)

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
Re: X-Men Red
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2018, 12:36:54 PM »
There seems to be some satisfaction in turning male characters into incompetent clowns. Gambit  and Hawkeye come to mind immediately.
Who Dat

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2018, 12:45:41 PM »
Holy cow now I know what you guys were talking about for the costume, that stomach X does not work!

This is the guy that wrote Gambit in that one-shot with X-23 right?  His Gambit was okay but there was a slight suggestion that he was a bit of a doofus. Or maybe it was just me who got that vibe.  Still though I hope he gets some good interaction with Laura and Jean.

No. This is the gut who wrote Gambit in All-New Wolverine.
In first appearence Gambit cmashed the whole floor of building with single card.
Later were stated that he  blowed up brainwashed X-23 into pisces with that explosion.

Oh, I even forgot how badass moment that was :D

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2018, 12:52:18 PM »
As for stomach X it won`t be so bad if it was purple and not red. RED X just don`t fit as the only red part of costume.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2018, 05:06:04 PM »
As for stomach X it won`t be so bad if it was purple and not red. RED X just don`t fit as the only red part of costume.

I agree the red doesn't fit. Looks goofy... I liked issue one more than I did two. It was ok. Nothing blew me away and I was able to breeze through it without caring slow down. I'm still searching for the point of it. Never really been a fan of adults bringing children into battle willingly nor do I look forward to reading their interactions on a long drawn out basis.

I think after the O5 go home they should send Honey Badger to the Champions.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 05:09:26 PM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2018, 05:41:41 PM »
She can come over to Deadpool. She brings out the best in Wade.
Who Dat

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2018, 11:25:21 AM »
Solitics for issue 3 and 4 of X-Men RED

X-Men Red (2018-) #3
WELCOME TO THE X-MEN, TRINARY, HOPE YOU SURVIVE THE EXPERIENCE! The battle rages in India, and the newest X-Men member may be the key to the team's survival. GAMBIT is caught up the intensifying global frenzy of mutant hate. Plus: Could one of JEAN GREY's oldest friends turn foe?

• JEAN GREY and her team of X-Men are trying to save the world…but one mutant could spoil that for everyone.

• When an old friend of Jean’s is corrupted and turned against her, will Jean have to do the unthinkable?

Do you tink Gambit is that old friend that got corrupted?

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2018, 11:46:13 AM »

Do you tink Gambit is that old friend that got corrupted?

Hmm. It could be. But I feel like if that were the case, the solicit would have said something like "a member of the team" instead of "old friend". Could be wrong though. The solicit's pretty vague

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2018, 12:26:07 PM »
How many times are going to have to read "Hope you survive the experience"? we get it... Kitty...yaaahh. They're really pushing this Kitty agenda. They did the same thing when they had Spider-Man too. A character said it to Kitty recently when she was locked-up (which made no sense). And now in a solicit.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2018, 01:07:53 PM »

Hmm. It could be. But I feel like if that were the case, the solicit would have said something like "a member of the team" instead of "old friend". Could be wrong though. The solicit's pretty vague

I think Gambit won't be a memeber of team in 3 and will join only in #4.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 02:08:40 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2018, 01:46:09 PM »

I think Gambit won't be a memeber of team in 3 and will join only in #4.

That's a good point. If he is, I'll be pissed because he was just under the control of the SK. Use someone else as a prop for your plot
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 02:08:59 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2018, 12:59:16 PM »
I think my biggest problem with this book is the roster. The premise isn't too bad, if not a bit on the nose. I think Taylor's heart is in the right place, but it comes off as him approaching something he has no real way of understanding. At least not enough to write a story that makes a whole lot  sense or doesnt come off as cheesy. #3 came off as cheesy to me. The fact that Jean is bringing kids along for the ride isn't that crazy due to how the X-Men function, but the moment Tom Taylor had X-23 cut someones hand to shreds the tone of the book went somewhere I don't think fits Jean's character. There would be no way she'd be ok with that kind of violence, especially if it can be avoided. It was one of her turn-offs with Logan once upon a time. Now she's ok with it coming from kids? (Laura is the same age as Hellion, Mercury, Surge etc, which means shes no older than 19). Not to mention, this isnt the life Wolverine wanted for her, though he didnt really express that until well after Jean's death. So the kid count is up to 3 including; Gabby, Laura and Gentle. That's roughly half her roster not including Trinary who looks pretty young herself and with all that  talk about what her "father" did makes me think she can't be older than 20.

Jean just comes back to life, and the first thing that happens is she constructs a team of children with little to no experience outside of Gabby and Laura being trained sociopath killers? Nightcrawler is the only real person the currently makes any sense. It would have made more sense for her to see the current condition of her closest friends and want to help them; While Iceman seems ok, he should be trying to understand who he is all over again, then you have Archangel struggling with brainwashing and then Beast who's basically an X-Men outcast due to being the cause of a really dumb story line. I could think of at least two versions of this team that would have made more sense. For instance... Namor? I read it, and I still don't get why he'd care more than he already has.

First version aka O5 reunion; Jean, Beast, Iceman, Archangel, Nightcrawler, Storm + Trinary
This one is easy. Probably all her closest and oldest friends. Her teaming up with these make the most sense. Archangel could use the help of an experienced telepath thats not interested in him romantically. Nightcrawler fits anywhere and is the only one of Tom's choices that fit. Storm is probably her closest girl-friend so having her wouldn't need much convincing. Iceman was always like her kid brother and Beast should have a yearning to want to be around his family. Probably being less wanted at the mansion, this would be the best of both worlds. Trinary can still be added as a new character. With her being surrounded by all these vets, there would be tons of space for her character to grow organically.

Second version aka Better X-Men Red: Jean, Nightcrawler, Gambit, Laura, Havok, Frenzy + Trinary
Little more dynamic of a group . Much more room for conflict and character development. In this group, I find it funny that a character like Gambit would be actually considered among the more level-headed alongside Jean and Kurt, if asked I see him joining just to be of use. Besides his access to resources and money would help explain away some of the needs of a team like this. Frenzy has unfinished with Jean, but not in a "I hate you" kind of way. In a lot of ways, Frenzy's journey to becoming a hero started with Jean messing with her during Magneto Wars. I can see her sticking close by and buying into Jean's new ideals, just wanting to be a soldier for good. Havok needs as much help as Warren, plus they have the connection of Cyclops which could lead into several great character developing conversations. Laura could be Jeans connection to a friend she thought lost. I can see Jean taking her under her wing to see to it that she becomes what Wolverine was, but better. Nothing changes for Trinary.

These just make more sense to me.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 02:07:00 PM by DonPriceTag »

Offline belay

• Guild Member
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2018, 01:26:33 PM »
Gambit being treated like garbage in Astonishing X-men has me worried for his role in X-men Red.  The cast is big and not everyone will get enough panel time.  I won't be shocked if Gambit is treated as as wallpaper after a couple of issues similarly to how he was treated in X-men Legacy.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2018, 03:04:11 PM »
Gambit being treated like garbage in Astonishing X-men has me worried for his role in X-men Red.  The cast is big and not everyone will get enough panel time.  I won't be shocked if Gambit is treated as as wallpaper after a couple of issues similarly to how he was treated in X-men Legacy.

I am worried for the same thing. I listened and read all podcasts and interviews with Taylor about RED. He told nothing exciting about Gambit and his role in book. The same way as Soule.

I liked Gambit in ANW and I like Taylor as writer so I still hope for the best. Can't wait for some Gambit related interview for RED #3.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2018, 05:29:56 PM »
You'd think with Rogue and Gambit being out it'd be a good opportunity to cross promote. But this is a company that let's theilet's their employees curse out customers and writers routinely contradict each other.

Offline belay

• Guild Member
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2018, 12:22:25 AM »
Variant Cover of X-men Red issue #3