Author Topic: X-Men Red  (Read 41783 times)

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
Re: X-Men Red
« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2018, 12:40:47 PM »
I thought overall, it read really well. While there was some things I wished could have been different, it doesn't bother me that much because I think the intent in the story telling was consistent.

Some might not like how Gambit came across but I don't think it was horrendous since it showed exactly what the story was trying to say was the issue. It wasn't random, it was calculated story telling.  I liked it.

Edit: And for some reason, the part that is seemly forgotten was the winged girl Cara made a choice to face the mob. Gambit suggested to her to fly away and she refused. No time for discussion in this situation. Story wise, did a good job of bringing the issue closer to "home" as it were based on the circumstances.

I agree Neko. The story was written in a manner that'll push Gambit forward in the series for the better. There's a difference between an unfortunate situation happening in a comic and being made to look incompetent. I definitely think this was the former and didn't make Gambit look terrible.
Who Dat

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2018, 01:58:29 PM »
We must really be Gambit starved. He was on 4 pages... Yeah, he was written fine, nothing special. I mean it was four pages, 12 panels (most just head shots). While it wasn't embarrassing at all, it was hardly worth putting him on the cover. I think we got more dialogue out of Red Skull-Gambit. The fact that he made the cover in this book and was so sparingly used just enforces my concern on how much panel time anyone is going to get with so many characters on the roster. I'm still not swung on this book. It's ok. That's all I can say about this  book that's supposed to be the "grand return of Jean Grey". It's ok. The art is ok, the pacing in this issue was the best out of the 3 so far, but still just ok. For something that is pushed like Flagship title, it should be more than this.

I feel like we've seen the "pet sentinel" before... No, we have seen the pet sentinel before, and it wasn't even all that long ago. Did no one else get a little disturbed by the "intestines" part with Gabby... you know, the child? I get it. She's another mini-Wolverine and it was supposed to be cute and funny, but I'm not seeing that. Hopefully the reason for their being so many characters in this book is so that eventually we get a plot that has several of the members leave... such as the 2+ children. Laura gets a pass due to her experience. She can be on any X-Men team. All that scene did for me was question Jean and Nightcrawler's mindset to have children along for this ride. There's a difference between a book where the kids get into sticky situations (Gen-X, Champions, Avengers Academy etc) that turn to "life and death" and adult characters putting children in levels of danger best left for vets. Wasn't that the ENTIRE cause of Schism and the reason Wolverine kicked Laura off of his X-Force team?

I get the purpose of narration, but after all this time and all the techno-paths the X-Men have encountered, Jean is surprised by Trinary being able to control a Sentinel? Out of anyone on the X-Men, Jean should be the hardest to impress. When I read some of your reactions I was expecting a bit more... but now I'm on the verge of taking this off of my pull-list.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #92 on: April 12, 2018, 03:00:25 PM »
Keep in mind I kept my expectations fairly low, due to knowing that Gambit is in a cast of 9, he's probably not going to play a massive role, he may not even be in half the remaining issues of this entire run. I'll be content with Gambit contributing to the stories in an effective way and mingling with the cast. From the 4 pages I've read Gambit had a solid start, but because his subplot is so self-contained it probably can't go beyond 5 pages, I'm more interested in seeing how it fits in with the rest of the cast.

X-Men: Red is the best of the 3 "coloured" core books, and also better than Astonishing (obviously). However, it's easy to stand-out when all the other core X-Men books have been below par for a number of years. I actually found issue #1 of Red rather boring and sluggish, but it picked up in #2 and #3. On a scale out of 10 thus far, it's between 6.5 to 7.5. It's solid, and moving along nicely, but not as great as the reviewers are making it out to be either, but the potential is there.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2018, 03:55:12 PM »
It's not about high praise ... it was about saying the story was consistent and stayed on point through out the story, and not getting worked up over a guy with a gun. That what was presented actually was within the story narrative. It may not be to everyone's liking but it isn't as horrendous as others are making out to be.

Edit: Actually the one thing I read this month that I found worse than the gun-guy, was crying Gambit in RG4. Crying Gambit bothers me greatly.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 04:15:12 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2018, 04:14:39 PM »
It's not about high praise ... it was about saying the story was consistent and stayed on point through out the story, and not getting worked up over a guy with a gun. That what was presented actually was within the story narrative. It may not be to everyone's liking but it isn't as horrendous as others are making out to be.

Oh no, not horrendous at all, I'm in the camp that liked Gambit's appearance :)
It felt like more of a set-up for Gambit's intro, which is what I expected...and yes it does suit the tone of the narrative, in which Taylor is going for a political approach.
The series almost feels like a Bryan Singer X-Men film. Then again Singer directed 5 films without Gambit, so not a great example lol.   

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2018, 04:33:42 PM »
Will give it this much, it's trending upward. 2 was better than 1 and 3 was better than 2. But better is relevant. It's not hard to be better than other X-Men books out there these days... I mean, have you read gold and blue? No. No you haven't. Which is my point. I personally didn't have a problem with the "gun-guy" scene. The guy was like 20 feet away from him with a gun in arm's reach. Yes, Gambit could have just chucked a card at him when he first pulled, but then he'd risk it going off into the crowd, which I believe is what he was trying to avoid. Once the gun went off, the bullet had to go somewhere and I think Gambit all of a sudden being able to draw his bo-staff, extend it and then deflect the bullet in less than a 1/15 of second, would have been hard to swallow. But I still found the whole thing "meh". If I could critique, I think it would have made more sense for Gambit to be in street cloths, unless he specifically showed up to help with the mob, which is 100% likely. So I guess, I agree with the outcome.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 04:37:05 PM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nox

• Guild Member
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2018, 07:00:32 PM »

Edit: Actually the one thing I read this month that I found worse than the gun-guy, was crying Gambit in RG4. Crying Gambit bothers me greatly.

Yeah, I have to agree. That was the one part that threw me in R+G #4.

Anyway, back to X-men: Red. I agree with DonPriceTag: why are kids on this team?

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2018, 07:17:42 PM »

Yeah, I have to agree. That was the one part that threw me in R+G #4.

I guess I could move those comments to the right thread. I'll consider it or just state it there and move on. We'll see, I'm fickle.

Anyway, back to X-men: Red. I agree with DonPriceTag: why are kids on this team?

I dunno, I think Marvel is still stuck on the school with actual kids theme - that is a school and not a cover. I blame Morrison for that nonsense. LOL
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 08:16:39 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2018, 10:59:31 PM »
@@&$&#$# Morrison...

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2018, 02:25:25 PM »
Here's Travis Charest's cover for the Annual.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 02:55:45 PM by bark_no_byte »

Offline Paneo01

• X-Man Mentor
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2018, 03:14:08 PM »
Can anyone spoil this great gambit entrance a few are mentioning?

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2018, 03:59:20 PM »
Can anyone spoil this great gambit entrance a few are mentioning?

Basically, there's a mob with tiki torches protesting mutants (in NO I wanna say?) and a mutant woman with wings confronts them. A guy in a truck gets out and pulls a gun on her. Gambit steps in (and tells the woman she should leave, but she stays) and Gambit and the guy have a stand off. Gambit tries to talk him down, but the guy fires and Gambit throws his cards. The guy goes down and the bullet misses Gambit, but when he looks back, he sees the woman got hit.

I'm probably missing a couple details, but that's the gist of it

Offline Paneo01

• X-Man Mentor
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2018, 06:23:02 PM »

Basically, there's a mob with tiki torches protesting mutants (in NO I wanna say?) and a mutant woman with wings confronts them. A guy in a truck gets out and pulls a gun on her. Gambit steps in (and tells the woman she should leave, but she stays) and Gambit and the guy have a stand off. Gambit tries to talk him down, but the guy fires and Gambit throws his cards. The guy goes down and the bullet misses Gambit, but when he looks back, he sees the woman got hit.

I'm probably missing a couple details, but that's the gist of it
thanks bark.. What happened to the woman?

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2018, 06:38:36 PM »
Unfortunately, the woman died.

Offline Paneo01

• X-Man Mentor
« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2018, 11:00:30 PM »
Unfortunately, the woman died.

Awwwww darn.