Author Topic: X-Men Red  (Read 41270 times)

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
Re: X-Men Red
« Reply #105 on: April 17, 2018, 08:50:37 AM »
Yes, she should have been wearing a red shirt, just to make it obvious from the start.. ;)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2018, 10:50:53 AM »
Yes, she should have been wearing a red shirt, just to make it obvious from the start.. ;)

Hah! Star Trek.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 08:48:23 AM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2018, 01:43:40 PM »
Despite my many concerns with this book...
Amount of characters
Roster composition
Weird (weak) Character Connection
Shakey premise
Child Combatant (s)
Artwork
Dialogue
Not too subtle political satire

This book does visually look better with Storm being part of it... Have to admit that. Her presence at least addresses a couple of my aforementioned concerns. Taylor has yet to sell me on this yet. It's a visual medium that visually isn't impressive. To me anyway. Not for a flagship title.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Paradox Jast

• X-Man Teacher
    • Jasticus on Fanfiction.net
« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2018, 04:15:20 PM »
I won't be spending a dime on comics again unless Gambit is a lead or a main... or if there is a book that multiple people here say is definitely worth it.

So business as usual again, I guess.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #109 on: May 22, 2018, 06:47:40 PM »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #110 on: May 22, 2018, 06:48:19 PM »
Storm is officially joining Xmen Red, I got this from Tom Taylor's tweet.

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2018, 06:49:02 PM »
That is a gorgeous cover. Glad Storm's joining. Always liked her dynamic with Gambit

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2018, 08:10:43 PM »
The new costumes are fine... but why did they have to place that "X" on their stomachs like that?, because Jean's classic costume did?

Offline Berry

• [insert something witty]
  • X-Man Leader
« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2018, 08:34:03 PM »
Storm looks absolutely stunning. Love the dynamic Jean, Gambit, Storm, Nightcrawler & Laura bring and excited to see them all interacting.  Gabby is fun in a Molly from Runaways vibe and hopefully keeps the series from drowning in too much doom and gloom (which, I love the political angle. But there needs some lightness to balance some really heavy tones). 

Caroline: I know it sounds crazy, but alcohol helps.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #114 on: May 23, 2018, 03:47:58 AM »
Really cool costume for Storm.
Excited to see Gambit interact with Ororo and Laura.

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #115 on: May 23, 2018, 10:01:46 AM »
The new costumes are fine... but why did they have to place that "X" on their stomachs like that?, because Jean's classic costume did?

I'm not a fan of the X placement either. It's like my mind wants it to be a little lower, like on a belt or higher up on the chest

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #116 on: May 25, 2018, 03:17:06 PM »
Just had the chance to read X-Men Red 4... Still more bearable than the other titles I've read I'm yet to see how this issue is "better" than any other before it. The art is still very sloppy and rushed. Jean talks like a robot. Tom Taylor has gone from pay gap issues to Facebook's potential interference in the election. The dialogue is clunky and has an unnatural, artificial flow. The pacing, is ok, but again, the transition from one action panel to the next isn't great.

Still don't understand why there are children on this team for a very dangerous mission. It would make for a good subplot if someone had exceptions and needs to either be vindicated or won over. But we just have everyone being ok with it...

It was an ok read. I didn't read any of Tom Taylor before this and I'm not won over by his work thus far. It's mediocre.

Story (premise)- 2 (what does she mean by "Nation"?)
Art- 3 (dark, and sketchy)
Dialogue- 2 (robotic with attempts at humor)
Pacing- 4 (things do move forward successfully, but perhaps too fast?)

2.8 price tags out of 5.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #117 on: May 25, 2018, 03:23:13 PM »
Agree. It is just ok for me too.
I hope next issue will change situation. Also I mostly like team. It is too big but will see what will happen next.

I think issue 1 was mymy favourite so far.

It is not great but better then other X team books right now.
Also it seems that RED is gathering more an army then a team. Roster is Huge.

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #118 on: May 25, 2018, 03:51:18 PM »

It was an ok read. I didn't read any of Tom Taylor before this and I'm not won over by his work thus far. It's mediocre.

I haven't read this issue yet, but Tom Taylor is usually a pretty solid writer. I know a lot of people (including myself) enjoyed his work on All New Wolverine. He's also usually pretty good with larger casts because he's also done well with the Injustice comics.

I'm not sure what it is about this series so far, though. Something just isn't clicking for me yet.

It is not great but better then other X team books right now.

Agreed (although I do like Astonishing). I was reading Gold off and on but don't really care of Guggenheim and I never tried out Blue, but I heard it's been getting worse and worse.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #119 on: May 28, 2018, 09:44:34 AM »
I hear that his runs at DC have been great. But since he's been on Marvel the quality of his work has not been the same. I'd attribute that to the quality of the editors and how much control they have at DC compared to Marvel which are obviously more liberal and less controlling (and talented as many don't have any prior experience).