Author Topic: Star Wars: The Last Jedi  (Read 1332 times)

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2017, 12:34:28 PM »
My own 2 cents: I didn't love it and I didn't hate it. I really liked some parts: the fight scene with the royal guards, Holdo's kamikaze scene, Kylo's character progression, the Yoda scene. And I really disliked some parts: Leia flying through space, the Poe/Finn/Rose story line being pretty much pointless, Snoke being killed so quickly after being built up so much in the last movie .

I will say I think TFA was a better movie but I did like that TLJ at least took some risks. I'd give it a 6 or 7/10.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2017, 05:44:17 PM »
I agree that story for Poe/Rose/Finn was pointless. It was the only real stupid moment for me.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 11:48:50 AM »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 12:49:49 PM »
That meme is hilarious!!! Thanks Purp.

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2017, 08:15:08 PM »
Well, since I appear to be the only one here who intensely disliked this film here, let me chime in.

I don't like that meme and find it to be incorrect. Here are a few points.

1. I don't think people find this version of Luke a betrayal of the character because he makes a mistake and runs away. It's the actions of the character throughout the movie and told in flashback that everyone really has the problem with.

2. Obi-wan doesn't just run and hide. After the sith destroyed the Jedi, they sent Luke off to a hidden location to hide him from Darth Vader and the dark side and Obi-wan followed to watch over him and make sure nothing happened from a distance.

3. The Yoda one is simple. Just because the prequels have really bad writing doesn't mean we should except it for The Last Jedi. Again, the Sith destroyed the Jedi so there wasn't much for them to do. Palpatine rising to power right under the Jedi's noses is just dumb.

4. And with all that said, when it came time for Obi-wan and Yoda to spring in to action, they did. Luke on the other hand...

5. In the Force Awakens it is implied Luke leaves that map pointing to him in case he is ever needed. In this one he is found and refuses to help Rey, his sister, or the cause. He tells Rey he only came there to die. Shows up at the last moments of the movie to save about 10 rebels and has one of the most anticlimactic deaths in movie history. He basically does nothing the entire  movie and it is revealed that he created Kylo Ren because for a moment he came close to killing him in his sleep when he was a student because he sensed "something dark in his future". This is the same Luke who refused to kill his father Darth Vader because he sensed a shred of good still in him. Willing to give up his own life, the jedi way, and the rebellion for this belief and saw it through to the redemption of Darth Vader.  But in this movie he apparently was ready to kill his nephew, his sister and Han's son because he "sensed" the dark side. This is more the type of stuff people see as a betrayal of the character. Not simply because he went into hiding.

And there is so much more. The rest of the characters in this movie are pointless and it certainly doesn't get us to fall more in love with them or give us any excitement for them in the next movie. This is part two of a trilogy and they killed of a bunch of characters. And we know Carrie Fisher died so she can't be in the next one either. This movie needed to do a much better job with the newer characters that we will see going forward. No real character progression for anyone going into the last film in the trilogy.

I'll stop there before I go on and on.  ::)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2017, 08:52:11 PM »
Well, this is just a meme :)

As for Luke in Episode 8. Everything is about balance. He has turned off his powers in hope that if there will be no super powered Jedi then there will be no super powered Sith.

If Luke has no power then it is kinda logical that Rey was overpowered in Episode 7 from the start. There were no Jedies so all power came tp her.

When Snoke died, it seems Kylo became stronger becuse he went toe toe with Rey who kicked his ass in previous episode without troubles.

As for Luke `s death I think it was great. He just moved to other place like Obi-Wan in Episode 4.

I don`t argue about movie. Maybe I am not such a huge fan of Star Wars. But it is logical that new trilogy is not a story of Han or Luke. We have new Trinity.