Author Topic: Black Widow Movie  (Read 505 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Black Widow Movie
« on: January 11, 2018, 10:37:01 AM »
https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/10/16876218/marvel-black-widow-standalone-movie-screenwriter

I keep reading the word "finally" when talking about this movie. Is that warranted? I mean I think a spy movie would be cool, perhaps something with her and Hawkeye (Jeremy R) with Agent 13, but have the fans been clamoring for a Black Widow movie? Is it more Scarlet Johanson is getting a Marvel movie rather than Black Widow is getting a standalone film? I mean the character is fine and I think Marvel can make just about anything work at this point. But who exactly has been holding their breathe enough to use the word "finally"? I think this may have more to do with the lack of female leads in Marvel movies more than "finally giving a Black Widow a movie."
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
Re: Black Widow Movie
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 10:58:30 AM »
Yeah. Female lead movie.

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 12:00:44 PM »
I honestly couldn't care less about this movie (no offense to anyone who is excited for it). I just don't really care for Scarlett Johansson or Black Widow. I think you're right about Marvel wanting to do more female led movies, but if that's the case, there are so many female heroes I'd rather see get a movie than BW.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 12:28:19 PM »
And how much of this is because DC finally did something right ... and Wonder Woman killed at the box office.

So, no I don't think anyone was clamoring for a BW film but we can't have DC getting all the kudos and accolades for a strong female lead film, right? LOL

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 12:56:14 PM »
Well I've said for a long time that the only reason it's taken so long for Marvel/Disney to invest in characters outside of what we've gotten is because they weren't certain their demographic would come out to support a black lead or a female lead. But now that they know for sure that they can do just about anything; it's all up for grabs. Marvel Studios demographic is everyone. In a way they've cultured an audience to give something new a chance, so they've brought down barriers of "I'm not really into that". I can use this mindset to question their choice of doing something called "Black Panther and the Crew", which was horrid idea IMO. I get what they are trying to do, but that demograph is not buying comic books, much less reading anything outside of social media posts. It's like Marvel Comics has no idea who is reading their books.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 02:24:59 PM »
It's like Marvel Comics has no idea who is reading their books.

They're trying to cater too much imo, between titles like that and some (not all) of the new characters they've been introducing. Take America, for example. I haven't read her stuff, to be honest, but she's been a pretty popular character in the past. However, a lot of her fans hate her current book because they've been trying to make her appeal to a specific crowd (I guess the female/feminist community?) by having her say stuff like "Holy Menstruation" and other things that scream "Hey, I'm a feminist".

In relation, one of the reasons MCU Black Widow hasn't done much for me is they've been trying to portray her as this bad ass with a sense of humor (the "I don't see how that's a party" line in Avengers still makes me cringe) and she doesn't feel like the Russian Spy from the comics. It's like they found the formula with Iron Man and Deadpool where the main character is a bad ass that cracks jokes and then decided to apply that to everyone. Makes it so the characters don't really have very distinct personalities from one another.

Anyways, just my two cents. I'd love to be proven wrong about this movie, but I'm not holding out hope.