Author Topic: Write away a past less than favorable moment...  (Read 745 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Write away a past less than favorable moment...
« on: April 19, 2018, 05:05:19 PM »
Had this idea to... Over the past decade or so, we've seen Gambit in a few less than favorable situations. Typically during a cameo. If you had the opportunity to explain away an instance, what situation would you chose and how would you explain it? I don't mean write it out of existence, but in the spirit of continuity, if Gambit were revisiting the memory or someone was asking about it, how would you tackle it so that it makes some kind of sense?

For instance; my most hated instance with Gambit is his appearance in X-Men as an attendee of Burning Man. It's just out of character and doesnt fit who he is. This is how I'd quickly address it and put it to bed.

Nightcrawler: Have you ever been more embarrassed, Gambit?

Gambit: Well, there was that one time I lost a bet and had to go to Burning Man wearing these ridiculous over-sized playing card theme pants.

Nightcrawler: Why in the world would you do that?

Gambit: For one, I always pay bets... besides, wasn't the worst part. I had to walk around offering people massages. Not my finest hour, Fuzzy. But, hey, if I wasn't there, the world probably would have ended so... there's that.

Doesn't have to be in script form or anything, but that worked best for me.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Miss Misery

• X-Man Teacher
Re: Write away a past less than favorable moment...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 05:45:11 PM »
That was the first thing I thought of. What a forking nightmare that was. And to top it off, Wilson's whole "research" and statements made me furious.

I like your explanation though--it's the only thing that really makes sense.
“Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 06:41:30 PM »
What really peeved me off about Wilson's "research", was a comment globally made either here or the other place, blaming Gambit fans for suggesting a specific type of massage. Well, I can say I checked through the thread and none of those who suggested were in "our" realm of Gambit fandom. Maybe it was a fan of his, certainly not ones we know well. I suspected it was other fans wanted to throw shade, and thought it hilarious (like they did when the whole Iceman gay thing was going on, because it was all such a funny joke.) pfft!

I'm pretty sure ... there was some f***ery going on there with that nonsense. To assume that anything said on twitter or any other social media is completely true is tomfoolery. LOL

Sorry, that needled me a little back then and still bugs me mildly.

I do like your idea Don.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 06:43:56 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Berry

• [insert something witty]
  • X-Man Leader
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 08:17:55 PM »
Okay, I have to ask - why does everyone hate Gambit at Burning Man so much?

As someone who both loved Gambit & attends the burn every year, I’m cracking up at all this! 

Caroline: I know it sounds crazy, but alcohol helps.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 08:29:59 PM »

As someone who both loved Gambit & attends the burn every year, I’m cracking up at all this!

It isn't about Burning Man or Gambit individually. Gambit being there isn't actually an issue. It was how he was portrayed in the issue that rubbed fans the wrong way.

He came across as less than charming as it were. He was "creepy" -  chasing women who said no -  him still offering "rubs".

If I'm not remembering correctly, correct me.

He was in clown pants, long baggy shorts with cards on them, it looked ridiculous.

Not sure what else to say ... other than .... I had hoped for a better portrayal. IMO
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 09:23:22 AM by Nekobaghira »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 08:58:52 PM »

Yeah, it definitely isn't the festival, it's how he was portrayed while there. It was pathetic. Gambit chilling a Burning Man might actually be fitting, but not the take that was given to us.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony