Author Topic: Guild stuff  (Read 2646 times)

Offline GambtGrl

• Gambler
Guild stuff
« on: August 15, 2018, 12:40:29 AM »
So I have been going through some old issues to explore Remy's history and I have noticed a few things. 

First, the whole tilling ritual seems inconsistent.    In Gambit (1999) #6, it indicates that Etienne Marceaux marks his tilling at age 12 and that Remy, who will chaperone him, did his around the same age.    The tilling marks passage into adulthood and allows the thief to become part of the Guild.    So what then, is Remy doing at 17 in X-Men #33 in Paris when he meets Sabretooth?  Henri talks about how he's there as a sponsor and that Remy must 'take his place among the elites'.    It seems like stealing the pendant from Genevieve is a test like the tilling.    Henri mentions the 'tracts of passage'.    Maybe there is a series of 'tilling' rituals where a thief must prove their worth.    Given the religious fanaticism of the Guild, it makes sense for their to be many rites of passage, sort of like the Holy Sacraments. 

Also, in Gambit (1999) #13, it indicates the Jean-Luc was forced to kill Belize Marceaux around 1931 (40 years after 1891, where Remy went back to the past).   So, how can he be Theoren & Etienne's father?  Online I've seen where he is said to be their father.    Theoren I could see, if Theoren had the Elixir.    But Etienne is 12 when Remy is 15, and he wouldn't have had the Elixir.    I guess there must be another generation in there and Belize must be Theoren & Etienne's grandfather?

Also, I noticed that in X-Men #33, Creed says he hasn't "run inta any of [Remy's] clan in years", which made me curious about how he knew anything about the Guild and when he'd run in to them before.   

I am also curious to know more about how Genard Alouette and Claude Potier fit in to the clans.    And what clan Mercy LeBeau, Henri's widow, came from. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 01:10:50 AM by GambtGrl »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Guild stuff
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 08:16:17 AM »
So I have been going through some old issues to explore Remy's history and I have noticed a few things. 

First, the whole tilling ritual seems inconsistent.    In Gambit (1999) #6, it indicates that Etienne Marceaux marks his tilling at age 12 and that Remy, who will chaperone him, did his around the same age.    The tilling marks passage into adulthood and allows the thief to become part of the Guild.    So what then, is Remy doing at 17 in X-Men #33 in Paris when he meets Sabretooth?  Henri talks about how he's there as a sponsor and that Remy must 'take his place among the elites'.    It seems like stealing the pendant from Genevieve is a test like the tilling.    Henri mentions the 'tracts of passage'.    Maybe there is a series of 'tilling' rituals where a thief must prove their worth.    Given the religious fanaticism of the Guild, it makes sense for their to be many rites of passage, sort of like the Holy Sacraments. 

Also, in Gambit (1999) #13, it indicates the Jean-Luc was forced to kill Belize Marceaux around 1931 (40 years after 1891, where Remy went back to the past).   So, how can he be Theoren & Etienne's father?  Online I've seen where he is said to be their father.    Theoren I could see, if Theoren had the Elixir.    But Etienne is 12 when Remy is 15, and he wouldn't have had the Elixir.    I guess there must be another generation in there and Belize must be Theoren & Etienne's grandfather?

Also, I noticed that in X-Men #33, Creed says he hasn't "run inta any of [Remy's] clan in years", which made me curious about how he knew anything about the Guild and when he'd run in to them before.   

I am also curious to know more about how Genard Alouette and Claude Potier fit in to the clans.    And what clan Mercy LeBeau, Henri's widow, came from.

Wow you've been diving! Probably Dantay territory but a lot of what you're talking about is probably due to writer's not keeping up with the last person involved. It's the job of editorial to catch these, but rarely do they pay that much attention to characters outside of Wolverine.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 08:35:24 AM »
Huge post. We definetely need Dantay for this.

As for Sabretooth and Guilds I think it was somwhere a panel from past when 3 Guilders with bo stuffs were fighting Creed.
Like Creed is steel angry about what happend then or smth like this.

Offline GambtGrl

• Gambler
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 10:17:26 AM »
Quote from: DonPriceTag link=topic=5183. msg74957#msg74957 date=1534335377

Wow you've been diving! Probably Dantay territory but a lot of what you're talking about is probably due to writer's not keeping up with the last person involved.  It's the job of editorial to catch these, but rarely do they pay that much attention to characters outside of Wolverine.

Yeah, it's mostly just Marvel not paying attention to continuity.

But I did think it would be interesting to get everyone's perspectives and see if there were other things they'd noticed.

Plus, I sometimes like to reconcile gaps in continuity when it's possible.   Otherwise I usually ignore and go with whatever I think fits best, because it's just not worth the headache.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 11:45:59 AM »
Even though she has her detractors here, writers like KT, people who are continuity junkies are the ones that would need to address this. I love stores where writers go back and try to make messy stories work within the established universe. KT did a lot of this during the R&G mini. I think Asmus was into this, though he kept being told "no" to a lot of his ideas.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony