Author Topic: What Greater MU Characters Would in/with the Thieves Guild?  (Read 3516 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
What Greater MU Characters Would in/with the Thieves Guild?
« on: August 27, 2018, 02:40:21 PM »

By now, everyone that read the Asmus series and some of the ANXF series knows what the ITG is about. It's essentially a network of outlaws and unsavory types. Of course they are thieves, but chances are they also are involved in a number of other types of activities such as espionage (spying, information selling etc.), sabotage, weapons sales and I wouldn't put it past them to wrapped up in human trafficking. All my thoughts, I'll welcome discussion on this. What characters in the larger Marvel Universe do you think would have official/unofficial ties with the Guild?
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: What Greater MU Characters Would in/with the Thieves Guild?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 02:51:13 PM »
Personally, the ITG led by Gambit would be the ultimate "gray area" type of organization. I don't think Gambit would allow many of the activities that would undoubtedly be happening prior to his arrival. With that, before and after he's the head, I can see certain characters, yes even hero-types, using arms of the organization for a means to an end.

Misty Knight- Misty is definitely something of an information broker. She has to have multiple sources to function as a private-eye. Of course I don't think she'd have anything to do with the Guild's more illicit activities but they'd would more than likely have information and connections that she could exploit. Especially after she realizes any changes to the organization that would make them more palatable.

Maria Hill/SHIELD- SHIELD, like Misty, operates based on information. Having a world-wide black-market network being headed up by a hero-type like Gambit would be a great asset to the organization, even more so because Gambit probably owes them a chip or two by popping in and off their radar. I'd love to see Maria and/or Mockingbird and Gambit to have some sort of ongoing working relationship. Favor for a favor type of deal. I could see them telling Gambit; Here's the deal... clean up your house, and we'll try not to haul you in every times something goes missing in the world.

Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 10:02:35 PM »

Always thought if the Gambit solo continued, that would be the angle I would have taken.  Having people trying to challenge Gambit for power from different factions.

If you think about it having the overall Guild Head be from LA seems like something the New York, London or Paris Guilds would challenge.

So having say Black Cat as head of the New York guild, Fanto in charge of London with a rivalry not only with Gambit but trying to also trying to wrest control from Candra in Paris would be interesting.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 12:25:16 AM »
Always thought if the Gambit solo continued, that would be the angle I would have taken.  Having people trying to challenge Gambit for power from different factions.

If you think about it having the overall Guild Head be from LA seems like something the New York, London or Paris Guilds would challenge.

So having say Black Cat as head of the New York guild, Fanto in charge of London with a rivalry not only with Gambit but trying to also trying to wrest control from Candra in Paris would be interesting.

I absolutely love this idea. That is a terrific story line for a Gambit solo or mini. Or perhaps even an ongoing team-up book where Gambit could possibly be allowed to be front and center for a bit. :coolsmiley:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 12:27:57 AM by wantutosigh »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 09:12:55 AM »

Interesting. I always figured if the series continued that they'd (Black Cat and Fantomex) would eventually be pressured to operate under the umbrella of the guild in some capacity, if not only to stay clear of certain things without getting permission. But that's a cool idea. I look at it as the NY and LA branches answering the ITG and NOLA guilds by obtaining a superhuman (they'd probably consider them freaks behind their backs) of their own that could contest for the seat as leader. Like an arms race. From a story standpoint, both branches could have the intentions of using them as puppets, but knowing Black Cat and Fantomex's levels of ambition, the plan would probably backfire and the two would end up completely taking over their respective guilds.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 07:56:02 PM »
Yeah that is what I would be thinking.  Rival Guilds trying to acquire Mutants to gain control.  Or you can even have Fanto involved with an Assassin's Guild as well and bring them into the conflict since he doesn't have qualms about murder.  Fanto would make for a great foil and rival to Gambit whether it be the TG, AG or both.  So maybe Fanto is trying to consolidate the TG and AG into one massive criminal organization and Gambit has to navigate alliances with Black Cat who like him doesn't like the unsavoury aspects of the TG as well as Bella who wants to prevent Fanto from taking control of the AG.  Gambit would be handicapped a bit because he won't go as far as Fanto in terms of murder.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 07:58:33 PM by remydat »
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 11:06:41 PM »
There's a lot of lore to create and mine. Such as, how do the lower guilds measure up to each other? In respect do they answer to the ITG? Is it really as democratic as we saw?

IMO the only thing that can bring prestige to a guild over another are contracts. They must be competing over them and the wealthier, more prestigious guilds are the ones with most obtained and completed contracts. And you can't get good contracts without an established reputation. None of this is possible without a viable market which is why LA and NY are the biggest threats.

Fantomex would most likely start his campaign by absorbing lesser guilds from smaller cities (promising more money and better life if they side with him; probably killing most of the heads), thus increasing their contract flow. Maybe one smaller Assassin's Guild and turn them into his private hit-squad. Id assume this would increase tithing to the ITG and bring attention where we could see the first big showdown between Fantomex and Gambit. Not alone, because I'd assume court would be called with all the Cardinals and heads of all the major guilds. Gambit and his cabinet would get the first glimpse of what LA and NY are up to. Fantomex uses the opportunity to make contact with my outside guilds and officially starts his open hostile takeover. Perhaps, as you said, NY (Black Cat) refuses and stands with Gambit's party.

The end result, Fantomex losses and is put away in SHIELD or something. The guilds that stood with him are dissolved. The world-wide guilds (in US anyway) are severely shrunk but it's also depleted of much it's corruption which allows Gambit to mold the organization into something else.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 11:11:43 PM by DonPriceTag »