Author Topic: MMX #4 Thread  (Read 9242 times)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
MMX #4 Thread
« on: October 17, 2018, 12:38:20 PM »
MMX 4 was fine. I think I was so hyped and expected too much from it so I was a little bit dissapointed. Escape was my favourite part. Discussion about powers was fine but wasn't deep enough for me.Last fight was too messy and DPS was unnecessary. More panels with characters fighting would be much better. Didn't like ending. Maybe because Gambit was just screaming Rogue and Rogue was screaming Remy all the time. At first I thought it was Xandra's thing to show explosion.But everyone was kinda threw away with it so maybe it was real in some way.P. S. Funny but I missed Deadpool here. His jokes were much needed this issue. I think #4 is the weakest for me so far.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 01:45:26 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
Re: MMX #4 Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 12:51:33 PM »
I really liked the first half, especially that escape scene from the preview pages, which was the best scene of the issue (maybe of the entire arc). Some good emotional scenes as well in the middle.
Just felt a bit rushed at the end there, the action in the previous issue was a lot better, I suppose it was a tough act to follow with that awesome Gambit/Deadpool team-up. Though the cliffhanger at the end makes me anticipate the next issue, so I guess the final pages did its job.

EDIT: From a Rogue perspective, I like the idea of her trying to figure out her powers on her own rather than have Xavier (or in this case Xandra) try to fix it again. I hope KT will continue to tackle this.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 01:46:47 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 01:18:46 PM »
So, not my favorite issue so far. Having said that, I did love the beginning. I just love seeing Gambit being stealthy, agile, and making escapes. On the other hand, the last pages were just fine, a bit rushed, much like the fist issue. But KT writes great cliffhangers, and this one didn't fail to get me excited for the next issue.

On the negative side, I rolled my eyes at the “your body, your decisions” line because to me it read like feminist bs. Maybe if it had been phrased differently, but having Gambit say exactly the words “it’s obviously about you, it’s your body, your powers, your decision” annoyed me on many levels. They’re married now, like it or not, individual decisions affect one another more than ever. And although I do understand Rogue’s motivations for not wanting to have her powers fixed for her again (I actually think she’s right, it has to be earned by her) I’m just not interested enough in her character and that’s probably why I think she was being selfish… again. It’s hypocritical of her to say that it’s always been hard on her, after all the times Gambit was there for her, and he had to apologize again for complaining about things never being easy on them. That alone put me off of what should’ve been an otherwise emotional scene.

Except for the first awesome pages, Gambit did nothing else that I'd consider exciting.   
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 01:47:07 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 01:30:24 PM »
I was wondering where the promised big changes in this issue were and then I saw KT confirmed on her tumblr that Xandra and Rogue are actually dead.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 01:47:18 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 01:30:33 PM »
Just flipped through the Romy book. Ok issue at the start that became a bit of a mess at the end. Given all the characters involved, the fight was kind of lame and after all the acrobatics against scrubs, Gambit gets taken out quite easily by a named character. Some things never change. As for Rogue's speech about her powers, I totally get what she is saying and I agree. However, I simply don't care. This speech would have been perfect like 10 years ago. Now it is just annoying for me because I am tired of Rogue and her power issues. It is literally my least favorite thing about the character so while I agree with her once again, I am just so over it. When will it ever end?Probably the worst issue by far IMO.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 01:47:32 PM by Nekobaghira »
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 01:31:16 PM »
I was wondering where the promised big changes in this issue were and then I saw KT confirmed on her tumblr that Xandra and Rogue are actually dead.

Too bad they won't stay that way  ::)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 01:47:43 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 01:34:49 PM »

Too bad they won't stay that way  ::)

Precisely why it didn't cross my mind that that was the so-called change.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 01:47:55 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 01:50:32 PM »
Moved the topic of the issue to its own thread from Gambit Watch. :)

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 02:53:56 PM »
Precisely why it didn't cross my mind that that was the so-called change.

Jokes aside, if you are going to kill someone, I would prefer it stick for a while not get resolved in 1 issue which is where this looks like is headed.  A Gambit story akin to Orpheus where he goes to the underworld to bring Rogue back from the dead would be interesting but don't think anyone would want to write such a story these days.

Offline RomeoSvengali

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 04:26:08 PM »
I liked it, I don't need very issue to be filled with non-stop action and jokes everywhere. Seeing Gambit in blonde hair reminded me a little bit of the alternate reality Remy from Earth-6706. Rogue was right about her powers, I would rather she and Gambit be flawed characters, they're not perfect, there's too much Mary Sues/Gary Stu's these days.

Also, the reference to X-Men Legacy #244, I've never understood why that issue always ends up in a top G&R list, yes she was able to touch, but it didn't come from her, it didn't develop their characters or their relationship like it did in X-Treme X-Men and it didn't help that it was written by some pathetic disgusting hack who had other ideas. So unfortunately Rogue's powers needs to be brought up again and dealt with by a much better writer like Kelly... and I still don't miss DP.
https://vimeo.com/49613968
-Romeo Svengali (Monican swordsman)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 05:40:36 PM »
Issue was ok. The beginning was better than the end. 4 issues in and we have Rogue disappearing again. I too found the "my choice" thing a bit off putting. KT had Rogue overreacting with the whole "you can walk out whenever you want" that's something a really young wife would say during an argument. I wouldn't expect it from someone Rogue's age. The moment you say "I do" both partners give up the right to make unilateral life changing decisions with consultation of the other. It was fair to discuss. Don't see why she got her panties in a twist over it. No their lives together havent been easy.

I got really excited when I saw the Star Jammers. I'm really hoping we get some Space scoundrelling. I could have lived with so more action sequences from the Jammers and more dialogue from Coursair. I think he and Gambit could play off of each other well. So that was a let down. The fight scene as a total could have been better. It felt like the only reason the Jammers were present was to make that splash page work.

Gambit getting hit by the spear was kind of weird. He sees her coming and is still hit? The man has dodged bullets and cpu trained lasers. So the dismount wasn't all that great but again, the start was very good... 3/5.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 06:14:19 PM »
Issue was ok. The beginning was better than the end. 4 issues in and we have Rogue disappearing again. I too found the "my choice" thing a bit off putting. KT had Rogue overreacting with the whole "you can walk out whenever you want" that's something a really young wife would say during an argument. I wouldn't expect it from someone Rogue's age. The moment you say "I do" both partners give up the right to make unilateral life changing decisions with consultation of the other. It was fair to discuss. Don't see why she got her panties in a twist over it. No their lives together havent been easy.

I got really excited when I saw the Star Jammers. I'm really hoping we get some Space scoundrelling. I could have lived with so more action sequences from the Jammers and more dialogue from Coursair. I think he and Gambit could play off of each other well. So that was a let down. The fight scene as a total could have been better. It felt like the only reason the Jammers were present was to make that splash page work.

Gambit getting hit by the spear was kind of weird. He sees her coming and is still hit? The man has dodged bullets and cpu trained lasers. So the dismount wasn't all that great but again, the start was very good... 3/5.

Agree. "You can walk out whenever you want" was silly and spear was the worst moment for me. It wasn't even thrown from behind.
Dissapointed because escape at the beginning is amazing.

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 11:33:36 AM »
I liked it. The escape scene was the best part I not really sure if I'd say he was 'taken out' because he's still conscious and talking (wasn't even bleeding, lol) and it was clearly done for a dramatic, raising the stakes type moment and then Rogue was blown up right after. So it wasn't a get the support characters out of the way, so the star can save the day.

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 12:08:05 PM »
So, not my favorite issue so far. Having said that, I did love the beginning. I just love seeing Gambit being stealthy, agile, and making escapes. On the other hand, the last pages were just fine, a bit rushed, much like the fist issue. But KT writes great cliffhangers, and this one didn't fail to get me excited for the next issue.

On the negative side, I rolled my eyes at the “your body, your decisions” line because to me it read like feminist bs. Maybe if it had been phrased differently, but having Gambit say exactly the words “it’s obviously about you, it’s your body, your powers, your decision” annoyed me on many levels. They’re married now, like it or not, individual decisions affect one another more than ever. And although I do understand Rogue’s motivations for not wanting to have her powers fixed for her again (I actually think she’s right, it has to be earned by her) I’m just not interested enough in her character and that’s probably why I think she was being selfish… again. It’s hypocritical of her to say that it’s always been hard on her, after all the times Gambit was there for her, and he had to apologize again for complaining about things never being easy on them. That alone put me off of what should’ve been an otherwise emotional scene.

Except for the first awesome pages, Gambit did nothing else that I'd consider exciting.

PREACH!!
\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 12:10:04 PM »
I liked it. The escape scene was the best part I not really sure if I'd say he was 'taken out' because he's still conscious and talking (wasn't even bleeding, lol) and it was clearly done for a dramatic, raising the stakes type moment and then Rogue was blown up right after. So it wasn't a get the support characters out of the way, so the star can save the day.

It was still lame as the dude had been dodging all sorts of bullets and crap and gets injured by a slow moving spear as he is looking right at Deathbird.  Very definition of PIS.  Also this response from KT was posted on CBR so sounds like editorial screwed things up.

Quote from: Kalternativa
From KT Tumblr:[/size]
Anon: "Given Remy's supposed agility, shouldn't he have been able to dodge Deathbird's spear? It's not like she caught him by surprise as he was already looking at her and it's not like it's a gunshot. It just seems a little frustrating these days (and for the past couple years) that Gambit is only allowed to take down no name thugs/guards who have no super powers, unless of course somebody else (like the Shadow King) is controlling his body."

KT: "It’s actually hilarious you asked this.
I wrote for him to get skewered from behind. When the art came in I thought we should ask for a tweak because I thought it made Remy look less skilled/slower/less acrobatic than he is. Editorial disagreed. And it’s a gorgeous panel as is, so we left it as is.
Guess there are some folks that agree with me. Or at least one! 😂
Comics are compromise. And they’re never perfect. Is what it is!"
[/size]
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 12:22:44 PM by remydat »