Author Topic: Mr and Mrs X #5  (Read 13610 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Mr and Mrs X #5
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2018, 08:49:36 AM »
I haven't made it to the comic book store in two weeks .I've got no clue whats going on...
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2018, 12:52:46 PM »

Damn it I am upset I didnt think of the pooped on line.  Good one!
heh heh, I have my moments. TBH - I'm surprised you missed the pun too.  LOL

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2018, 07:18:07 PM »
Issue was iiight. Nothing to rave about. The illusion didn't make much h sense and I don't think it should have worked on people that have seen the things theyve seen. I liked how Gambit made light work of the Imperial Guard. Not sure if anyone else caught the rerun of Gambit flipping Warstar. He did the same thing to him in the Animated Series but didn't attach the card that time.

Liked the point remydat used. I too wished that after Gambit saw his wife die, and not know how, that we saw him wig out and go darkside. Maybe harken back to the Asmus' solo, mention something he' been hiding and start to exihit that issue with his powers possibly being amped but stops... Or doesn't. It would change the story, but Im not opposed to it. This did again turn into the Rogue-show and I would have liked to see Gambit get  more development.

Some of the dialogue could have been refined. I don't think she had some of the characters talking like people more than pretentious students trying to impress a language arts teacher. I think a lot of this story depends on the idea of future arcs, which I hope it gets.

Art was great, except Oscar continuing to draw all the women with the same face. Again, it was ight.

Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2018, 08:19:22 PM »
Yeah at this point, I would almost prefer Gambit go back to being a villain as this version of Gambit is just so soft and not menacing at all.  Of course, he is a hero but the Gambit I grew up with was a hero that didn't mind getting his hands dirty or doing the morally grey thing for the greater good.  This version of Gambit is worried about getting the ship back to Carol and seems like he would freak out if he got caught jaywalking.

The dude makes s*** explode and there is never a sense that anyone is worried about him actually hurting them.  As if they all know that Gambit's explosions are more a nuisance than a danger.  Might as well call him Firecracker Gambit.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 08:21:16 PM by remydat »
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline Paneo01

• X-Man Mentor
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2018, 06:50:13 AM »
Heartbreaking what's been done to him. He's so watered down and PC he's hardly recognizable anymore. Somebody mentioned its a great time to be a gambit fan because there is so much of him now. But Quantity is not quality...and the quality is utter crap.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 06:52:46 AM by Paneo01 »

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2018, 10:52:50 AM »
Nothing's worse than early 00’s Gambit. If now he is a shadow of what he used to be, he was a completely different character under Austen and Milligan (and obviously Carey, likely the worst out of the three, because at least the other two were clueless; Carey, on the other hand, showed in interviews that he got Gambit but that never reflected on page cause, you know, he could never project himself in a character like Gambit).

That’s why I don’t think Gambit is at his all-time low now. He isn’t a different character just cause now he’s married to Rogue. Blaming this book for what he’s become is not objective. It goes way back, Gambit hasn’t been the same in years, with a few exceptions. Even Asmus tried to modernize him, even made fun of his old costume.

I love 90’s Gambit the most, he is the character I fell in love with as a child, he is the real Gambit. I’d love to see this Gambit make a comeback, I just don’t know how he could be fully in this boring politically correct world we live in now. For now, even with all this nostalgia vibe going on, it seems there is no interest in writing him as he was in the 90’s.

I know that to expect characters never to change is naïve but I’ll never get over the fact that this is not the Gambit I want to read, even if I don’t hate this version. It’s not ideal but there had been darker moments than this. Overall, I wouldn’t trade this Gambit for Austen’s, Milligan’s, much less Carey’s versions, those were not Gambit at all. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 11:29:05 AM by andresa »

Offline killphil

• Master Thief
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2018, 11:39:24 AM »
I'm surprised at the amount of negativity in this thread. I am thoroughly enjoying this book. To each their own, I guess. I came here hoping to find more positivity towards this book since I have been seeing so many people enjoying this series everywhere else.

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2018, 12:43:10 PM »
I'm surprised at the amount of negativity in this thread. I am thoroughly enjoying this book. To each their own, I guess. I came here hoping to find more positivity towards this book since I have been seeing so many people enjoying this series everywhere else.

Eh, it's just the people with negative opinions have more to say than the people with positive. Not that that's a bad thing. I love the book. I just don't really have much to say about it that I haven't already said and I don't really feel like debating it with anyone

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2018, 02:06:34 PM »

The dude makes s*** explode and there is never a sense that anyone is worried about him actually hurting them.  As if they all know that Gambit's explosions are more a nuisance than a danger.  Might as well call him Firecracker Gambit.

MMX 3

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2018, 02:18:56 PM »
This scene with almost depowered Gambit from R&G 4 fits here good too.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2018, 02:28:55 PM »
And RED 5.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2018, 03:48:01 PM »
I'm going to tell you folks a story. One from this place, years of running it, you see many things. Attached is the cover to Gambit solo by Asmus and Mann its for the third issue.

The solo was announce in April of 2012, the book didn't hit shelves until August of 2012. Covers had been released to add excitement. For almost four months, there was almost nothing but complaints because of this cover. The solo was being judged by a cover because there was no words to have been read at that time, no pages to flip through. No teases to have been seen, it was all based on this cover.

I can tell you for a fact, that the "negativity" that seems so extreme is practically nil and tame compared to that time period. In that 2012 time period it was over a cover and no words read. At least we're actually trying to discuss the likes and dislikes of MMX. I'm sensing, discussion is not wanted and that is fine too. Best to know it now before the board goes up in flames and I have to do something.

Realistically, how many don't like it? They're outnumbered, what does it matter. You enjoy it, buy it. Nobody here should sway in either direction. Nor the buyer should allow it.

None of the negative stuff with Asmus solo stopped me from buying it, nor ANXF or X23 or Astonishing Xmen under Liu (yeah, there was some serious amount of negativity for several of the books listed and far worse that what has been said here recently about MMX). Is it being stated that MMX can't stand up to complaint or criticism?

Tell you what, if you want is for everyone to say how great it is and not discuss it, I'll work something out with the dissenters.Whatever is best will work.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 05:11:47 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2018, 05:21:30 PM »
C'mon, Neko. Noone told here that want everyone to say how book is great and not discuss it.

That negativity for Asmus cover was here?

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2018, 06:24:20 PM »
C'mon, Neko. Noone told here that want everyone to say how book is great and not discuss it.

That negativity for Asmus cover was here?
It may not have been said, but there is a whiff of unhappiness and I don't want that for those enjoying the book. I don't want people getting uptight over this book, if that means putting some qualifiers on it, so be it. The goal being -  be happy, and enjoy the book. I'd rather find a compromise.

As for the cover, yes. Here. One of many over the top things that have happened - Here.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 06:39:40 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Mateo3000

• Journeyman
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2018, 06:59:17 PM »
I've been busy with life so I haven't been able to post in forums in a while and therefore haven't posted in here in a  long minute. But I love Gambit (he's my favorite Marvel character) and I love this place (the Guild). Everyone should be able to post whatever opinion they have here. If you wanna be positive and post how much you love a comic (Mr & Mrs X or whatever other comic Gambit is in), go for it. If you wanna be negative and post how much you hate a comic go for it. There are things I really like about Mr & Mrs. X and things I despise about the comic. I like reading whatever opinions other Gambit-fans have on the book and I'm enough of an adult to not get offended by any of it. I would hope that others are mature enough and aware that forums will always both sides of the spectrum (competing opinions) when it comes to forums, and hopefully don't get offended by forum posts.

So please Neko, and others, don't feel the need to censor this board and please don't push an agenda to cater to whatever side of the spectrum (positive fans or negative fans). I have always felt more comfortable in this forum than in any other forum and I love that we don't have to deal with the strict draconian mods of CBR (I still like CBR, but they're mods go overboard sometimes). So please everybody else that sees this, feel free to post whatever it is you wanna post. As long as you're not harassing others or clearly trolling, there should be no issues.

PS. Looking at that cover of Asmus's 3rd issue of Gambit's solo and thinking about Joelle, they do look good as a couple together. And I do wonder where they could've gone together as a couple if Marvel had pushed forward with them instead of having Joelle die. I enjoyed reading their interactions and her character even if it only lasted one arc.