Author Topic: Mr and Mrs X #5  (Read 13615 times)

Offline killphil

• Master Thief
Re: Mr and Mrs X #5
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2018, 02:58:04 PM »
I`m sorry but your pessimism seems way to overwhelming)) Kind of like, if Marvel took Valerie Jones fanfic as a cannon, you would still complain about it, just because Rogue was in there)

Sorry, not bashing on you or anything.  I know where you comming from.

BTW: Are you Canemancar from marvel boards?
Are those boards still up? I thought they were taken down years ago. I remember Canemancer. One of the top posters in the Gambit thread back then.

Offline X-fan73

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2018, 03:03:20 PM »
Think Carey broke Canemacar or was it when Gage took over? Some time when Racky Lebeau was a fresh meme.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2018, 08:52:52 PM »
Most boards are gone now. Marvel boards have been gone for a long time. I remember Cane, I even made an avatar for him (coat rack Gambit), that he used on the CBR site.
There are a lot of people gone now. Be that due to the books or boredom or loss of interest or not wanting to keep up with the hobby anymore. Hard to tell.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 09:08:12 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2018, 09:38:01 PM »
I`m sorry but your pessimism seems way to overwhelming)) Kind of like, if Marvel took Valerie Jones fanfic as a cannon, you would still complain about it, just because Rogue was in there)

Sorry, not bashing on you or anything.  I know where you comming from.

BTW: Are you Canemancar from marvel boards?

No need to apologize. It is what it is.  I don't read this book for Rogue.  And no, I am not Canemancar.  Have always used Remydat on message boards.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2018, 09:44:24 PM »
Most boards are gone now. Marvel boards have been gone for a long time. I remember Cane, I even made an avatar for him (coat rack Gambit), that he used on the CBR site.
There are a lot of people gone now. Be that due to the books or boredom or loss of interest or not wanting to keep up with the hobby anymore. Hard to tell.

Yeah I remember him now that you mention the the Racky LeBeau meme.  It is sad how many Gambit fans just gave up on him and sadly not much reason to come back to him at this point.  Good buddy of mine asked me the other day if I still follow comics and when I gave him an update on Gambit (used to be his favorite), he pretty much spit up his drink when I told him, Gambit married Rogue despite the Rogueneto stuff. 

I can't even repeat the words he used to describe Gambit and he pretty much said dude was dead to him.  Slowly but surely, his fan base is going to be slowly eroded.  By the time I have kids, it will just be Rogue and Romy fans left with Gambit known as Rogue's annoying spouse or Ex at that point.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline killphil

• Master Thief
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2018, 09:54:26 PM »
Comics, in general, are dying. Interest in all things X-men are pretty low due to the focus on the MCU and the X-Men, up till now, having no part in it.
Who knows, all that could change with the Disney/Fox acquisition, but I believe a resurgence in X-Men popularity can only come from movies. Movies made by Marvel Studios. The comics can no longer make or break these characters at this point.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2018, 10:18:58 PM »
I think the medium has been dying for a long time. You only get 20 pages of content. The other pages that fill a 32 page book are ads and letters page or something.

I think Marvel Studios knows their property better than Fox ever did. I think that will be good for the Xmen in general on the small or big screen. I don't think it mean a thing with comic books.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 10:20:35 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2018, 02:19:36 PM »
Comics, in general, are dying. Interest in all things X-men are pretty low due to the focus on the MCU and the X-Men, up till now, having no part in it.
Who knows, all that could change with the Disney/Fox acquisition, but I believe a resurgence in X-Men popularity can only come from movies. Movies made by Marvel Studios. The comics can no longer make or break these characters at this point.

Well a sure fire way to kill any action adventure franchise that needs young fans to keep it alive as older ones phase out is take it away from kids for years. No viable toys, clothes or merchandise, kid centered TV... I mean what else would happen?
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline killphil

• Master Thief
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2018, 10:11:44 PM »

Well a sure fire way to kill any action adventure franchise that needs young fans to keep it alive as older ones phase out is take it away from kids for years. No viable toys, clothes or merchandise, kid centered TV... I mean what else would happen?
I wouldnt go as far as saying it was taken away, it just wasnt marketable in the face of competition. There was an X-Men cartoon 8-9 years ago, but was cancelled. Movies mismanaged and poorly directed doesnt help either.

But the X-men have been visible in media. They have been playable characters in every relevant marvel video game to this day, plus action figures by Hasbro. I play Marvel Contest of Champions, one of the most successful mobile games on the market right now, and there has never been a shortage of X-Men in the game.
Edit: just wanted to add, the only video game in recent history, Marvel vs Capcom Infinity released last year, tanked because the developers didnt listen to the fans and refused to add X-Men characters to the game. It tanked so bad that it has already been abandoned by Capcom. Rumor is the game will be rebranded and relaunched with the X-Men included.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 10:19:39 PM by killphil »

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2018, 12:27:08 AM »
Ah, the compleX. I wonder how that ‘worked out’, from Disney/marvel’s business perspective? If they thought it was successful or not?

On an only slightly related note, another weird thing about Carey’s creepy/ sexist ‘love’ story. That was about the time marvel was trying to get more new readers, particularly more female readers and that was a story that got approved? Did they really think female readers would like ‘he does terrible things to her and her friends, but she shouldn’t think about it so much...’ And gambit was a character that was already ‘proven’ to be fairly popular with female readers, so they thought it was good idea to squash him? *smdh*

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2018, 12:52:27 PM »
Ahhh Racky LeBeau. I am glad I was able to participate in that lampoon
\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"