Author Topic: Mr and Mrs X #5  (Read 13616 times)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
Re: Mr and Mrs X #5
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2018, 07:28:16 PM »
Great post Mateo3000.
I don't plan on censorship, at all. More of let the "good times roll" for a bit and then when ready, talk about it. If that means letting a few weeks go bye, then lets let a few weeks go bye.

I do like that we can talk here. Most impressive we can run through a variety of topics.
I am recognizing there is a book "high" and that sometimes it can be a downer to visit a place you like and not continue that euphoria. I've been there and done that and get that. Maybe, we just chill and enjoy the book for a bit before trying to break it down into pieces. Bask in the glory? 

It's fatiguing when you are constantly battling, and I get that. I could tell another story but darn those stories take time. My compromise is, "let it roll" for a bit and then when all has calmed down, we talk about the books. (The band the Cars, how many references can I put in.)
My proposal, unless something so catastrophic happens, enjoy the MMX book, state all the positives. Images and all that. We know the attachments work! LOL

RE: Asmus'book and Joelle
The thing with the Joelle is Asmus killed her off. It was sad. I liked her but it was his character, the book was ending so ... it is what it is.

Edit: Thanks, as a group needed to talked about this and helped in what I hope is a good solution. :)

« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 08:36:07 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2018, 10:44:25 PM »
Purp,

Would be so much better if Deathbird didn't make Gambit her b**ch by spearing him despite him looking right at her.

Also don't care about Gambit jumping around some no name Shiar.  Or fighting a comedy act like Deadpool where we all know he heals.

As for the mini.  Dude plants a card in someone's neck and she not only survives, she is no worse for wear in the next issue where Rogue has to defeat Lavish.  No joke you throw a firecracker in someone's face and it would do more lasting damage.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 10:48:06 PM by remydat »
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2018, 10:56:54 PM »
Eh KT was uber critical of the Asmus solo when she was a critic so gotta be able to take as well as you give.

Looking back at her complaints and reading her book and she has done jack s*** to develop a character that is suppose to he sharing 50% of the spotlight.

Offline killphil

• Master Thief
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2018, 11:33:49 PM »
I find the book fun. Reminds me of the old Claremont adventures. I like the interaction. Feels natural and in character. Kinda like re-uiniting with old friends you havent seen or heard from in years. Gives me a sense of nostalgia.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2018, 11:51:51 PM »
Eh KT was uber critical of the Asmus solo when she was a critic so gotta be able to take as well as you give.

Looking back at her complaints and reading her book and she has done jack s*** to develop a character that is suppose to he sharing 50% of the spotlight.
This will always be a thing won't it? She was a jerk in reviews of Asmus book but her book is some grand thing - up to interpretation - IMO
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 01:14:02 AM by Nekobaghira »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2018, 02:33:55 AM »
Purp,

Would be so much better if Deathbird didn't make Gambit her b**ch by spearing him despite him looking right at her.

Also don't care about Gambit jumping around some no name Shiar.  Or fighting a comedy act like Deadpool where we all know he heals.

As for the mini.  Dude plants a card in someone's neck and she not only survives, she is no worse for wear in the next issue where Rogue has to defeat Lavish.  No joke you throw a firecracker in someone's face and it would do more lasting damage.

Him getting speared by Deathbird is a different story.
You told that noone is afraid of his explosions and that they are not dangerous. I showed you with scans that it is not true.

Of course speared scene is lame.

Enough of that no name characters. Gambit hadn`t defeat anyone with name character in Asmus solo either. Everyone would love for Gambit to fight A list characters. At least I hope we will have Gambit vs Spiral in MMX 8. His fights in MMX is better then in any other Gambit book in last 10 years.

You are not right. Gambit was almost depowered and charged her with kick. Lavish was hurt bad and used a healer to heal her.
Next issue it was only her golems. True lavish escaped after Gambit blew up her neck.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 07:05:33 AM by purplevit »

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2018, 12:29:09 PM »
Deathbird was not afraid of him as is obvious because she taunted and speared him.  That scene is rendered quite meaningless when she clear defeated him one on one.

Gambit sparred with several characters in the solo with names including Cich's cybernetically enhanced goon Remlik.  What is that Shiar's name?  Bozo?

Yes if a firecracker goes off in your face, you would need medical attention too.  Doesn't charge the fact it was a firecracker.  It is a weak explosion in a critical area.  We know it is weak because an actual real explosion would blow someone's face off.  Does she survive if the explosion was as strong as a single stick of dynamite?  Of course not.

It is fine if you are excited by firecrackers in the face but Taylor had the dude blowing X-23 to bits and taking out a floor.  Asmus had him using his powers in unique ways and incinerating Cich.  So by contrast, dude is weak as f*** here.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 12:31:49 PM by remydat »

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2018, 12:35:28 PM »
This will always be a thing won't it? She was a jerk in reviews of Asmus book but her book is some grand thing - up to interpretation - IMO

It has to be.  She was complaining about the plot and his powers and yet after 10 issues, Gambit has done nothing of consequence.  There isn't a single use of his powers remotely close to the cool things Asmus had him do.

There is nothing here by way of character development.  If anything his character is regressing into a whiny dude who can't protect his wife and just cries when people hurt her.

Rogue is basically the man in this relationship.  She is the one Gambit has to ask to deal with Deadpool, she is the one that gets rid of Deadpool, and you can be damn sure if she thought someone killed Gambit she would have gone apes***.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 12:37:32 PM by remydat »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2018, 01:41:20 PM »
Deathbird was not afraid of him as is obvious because she taunted and speared him.  That scene is rendered quite meaningless when she clear defeated him one on one.

Gambit sparred with several characters in the solo with names including Cich's cybernetically enhanced goon Remlik.  What is that Shiar's name?  Bozo?

Yes if a firecracker goes off in your face, you would need medical attention too.  Doesn't charge the fact it was a firecracker.  It is a weak explosion in a critical area.  We know it is weak because an actual real explosion would blow someone's face off.  Does she survive if the explosion was as strong as a single stick of dynamite?  Of course not.

It is fine if you are excited by firecrackers in the face but Taylor had the dude blowing X-23 to bits and taking out a floor.  Asmus had him using his powers in unique ways and incinerating Cich.  So by contrast, dude is weak as f*** here.

Lol, if Deathbird wasn't afraid of him then she won't tell the ship to stop fireing and won't run away alowing Gambit to blow up command center. It is ridiculous that we are speaking about scan of issue 3 and you are continuing to use scene from issue 5. You just have no real arguments here and you know it. [size=78%] So Deathbird scene in MMX 3 is lame because she hurted Remy in issue 5 but fight with Remlik and Cich is cool? Remlik was kicking Gambit in issue 17 before his friends arrived and Gambit did nothing. Also Cich killed him with front shot. Well, at least Gambit repayed him with bullet, but shot still was lame as hell. [/size]

Gambit in R&G 4 was depowered on limited powers. Already told you that.

Oh, also you should reread A+X 3 when Remy couldn't stop a frog with 52 cards.

You can continue to hate as much as you want. I am not interested to continue thia conversation.

My scans are great prove. Now I just can't see your posts as serious.

Good luck.

I respect Admus and want hin to write Gambit again.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2018, 06:48:59 PM »
Deathbird wasn't afraid of him.  She made a tactical decision and told him it wasn't over yet.  She then came after him despite Gambit warning her not to and speared him.  There is a difference between being afraid and making a smart decision when someone has the drop on you.  If she were truly afraid, she would not have returned and speared him.  Or as KT originally planned, she would spear him from behind not wanting to confront him head on.  Instead what we got is Deathbird announcing herself to him (unlike Gambit who got the drop on her before) and then proceeding to take him out like she was spearing fish.

The Remlik fight is in issue 7 where he outsmarts them and steals the device controlling his ankle bomb and then takes down Remlik who is cybernetically enhanced one on one.  Issue 17 is when Cich sends the whole prison after him not just Remlik and yes he calls in support since it is a whole prison of people with enhanced powers.  However, one on one he took Remlik down unlike Deathbird. 

Also, I have said before Cich shooting him was plot induced stupidity so unlike you I can admit when something was lame even if I liked it overall.  The Cich gun shot was clearly lame but it was lame with the goal of having Faiza resurrect him so he can get a power upgrade.  So in the end, it was done to serve the character. 

There is no benefit to him getting speared.  It was done to serve not his story but give Rogue a reason to go with Xandra's plan.  Gambit failing is one of the reasons they decide to make the illusion so it just illustrates that his wife had no faith in him and thus had to trick him and their enemies which goes back to the point he can't adequately protect his wife. 

As for R&G 4, yes I am aware he was depowered which just explains the reason why his firecracker did minimal damage.  It doesn't suddenly make this some massive explosion because it wasn't.  Why would I care about a depowered Gambit throwing a firecracker at someone?

Not sure why you bringing up A+X 3 as I never claimed that was a great power display by Gambit.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 06:54:57 PM by remydat »

Offline Mateo3000

• Journeyman
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2018, 08:22:02 PM »
I will say that I do agree with both Remydat and Purp here. Yes, Gambit has really only defeated no name thugs recently, he damaged Lavish but didn't really play a role in her defeat. But I do agree that action sequences that Remy has appeared in (both R&G and MMX) have been very well done and dynamic. In fact these are the best action panels that Remy's has appeared in, in years. Do I wish Gambit fought battles (and won) with actual named villains/other superheroes, YES. Do I wish Remy used his powers in more creative, efficient, and destructive ways; YES. That's why I have really liked how Thompson has him use his bo staff and while I like his trademark cards, I feel that there is so much more he could do with his powers without turning into an overpowered behemoth (which is what Rogue practically is). I (and the rest of us) have to live with what we get of Gambit in comics, because unfortunately Marvel clearly never meant the character to become as popular as he did in the 90s and really didn't care to maintain his popularity. In fact they nearly killed it by having writers who either hate the character or had no idea how to write him, and by not featuring him for years. So I am going to enjoy whatever I can read of him in comics, which fortunately Thompson has done a decent enough job. Sure Thompson's no Nicieza, Claremont, or Liu; but it could be much worse. We could be dealing with more trash like Milligan, Carey, or Layman.

And I do have to give Thompson props because she did acknowledge that she was tough on Asmus back then because she hadn't gotten into writing comics yet and hadn't realized just how much of a b***h it can be to work with editorial. But granted as much as I hate editorial for things like Carey, Milligan, and a million other examples of s***ty writing. I still have to give editorial props for shooting down Asmus when he wanted to make Gambit bisexual and date guys.  I will forever be grateful to whichever editor shot down that idea because knowing Marvel it would've been as poorly written and would've made even less sense than when they wrote Iceman gay in the span of a few pages.

The only thing I'm kind of worried about in Mr & Mrs. X is that if it only lasts 12 issues then Rogue (and her development) will have clearly been the focus of 9 out of 12 issues. I find that troubling no matter how well Thompson is writing him because it seems like his role is just to be Rogue's support (or a background character like he was in MMX #2).

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2018, 10:58:00 PM »
9 out 12?  Try 12 out of 12.  Rest assured the Thieves Guild arc will still be about Rogue.  It will be about how everyone is so happy Gambit found such a great wife and how it makes him a better person blah blah blah!  Then Rogue will do something to help the Guild and everyone will say how great she is.

Offline saksiv

• Gambler
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2018, 06:48:38 AM »
Rogue has an long term arc about her powers fnd Gambit is a support character in it.  Im ok with this.  My problem is that Gambit dosent have his own story/goal/development, now that "ROMY angst" is done (Thank God!).  Ironically it is exactly what KT accused Asmus in her review (with which I agree).  )))

P/S: It was really great to lurk on this forum, had a greate time guys! See you on the internet!

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2018, 12:24:41 PM »
Well I think what KT missed in the solo was that the purpose of the solo was in fact to give him a story/goal/development.  The whole premise of it was that Gambit was a bit lost in terms of his direction and the solo was him finding that direction which he clearly did by the end of it.  Namely that he could be both a thief and a hero.

I guess this book will shows us that Gambit can be both a whiny husband and a sidekick as that seems to be the only development here.

Offline saksiv

• Gambler
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2018, 08:51:53 PM »
I`m sorry but your pessimism seems way to overwhelming)) Kind of like, if Marvel took Valerie Jones fanfic as a cannon, you would still complain about it, just because Rogue was in there)

Sorry, not bashing on you or anything.  I know where you comming from.

BTW: Are you Canemancar from marvel boards?