Author Topic: Mr and Mrs X #6  (Read 16212 times)

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
Re: Mr and Mrs X #6
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2018, 11:48:58 AM »
\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2018, 06:26:24 PM »
Well it makes sense I guess.  Rogue did get off on hearing how Mags murdered Nazis so I guess murder turns her on.
I was really giving this book a try, and I didn't totally hate this issue, but that One Scene has me livid and it overshadows the little I did enjoy.
Just a thought - but if Gambit actually had more with other books, it would be easier to handle some of the "treatment" in this book.

How is it ... that the writer .. didn't know, that Magneto was a trigger for fans. Why was it needed to have Magneto there ...  I don't understand. There is no balance in this book, its all about Rogue, IMO.

Taylor might not do much with Gambit in Red due to a large cast but the image that was posted in Gambit watch wasn't so bad.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 09:03:28 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline RomeoSvengali

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2018, 09:12:48 PM »
I guess I was expecting too much from Kelly to give Rogue any real morals or common sense of right and wrong, that she's grown past from being this naive... well, my mistake, I know better now. But according to Thompson, she's a flawed character, Mag is just complex and it's all canon, nothing she can do about it... but isn't it canon that the very first person Rogue ever slept with was Sentry? Is that going to be mention or will Kelly just cherry pick what she likes as canon and doesn't? I can see that the G&R fan base is a little annoyed by this, but don't really care, looks more like desperation.

But it wasn't just that, this was crammed with too many subplots, nearly everyone is a Looney Tunes cartoon character and the artwork is just not good.

I'll just read this series off one of those websites where you can read comics for free, this isn't going to get anymore of my money, I won't even waste space on my computer to save the images.
https://vimeo.com/49613968
-Romeo Svengali (Monican swordsman)

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2018, 08:22:12 AM »
KT claims to respect continuity, and to be fair, she does it for the most part but she also chooses what to use. That's the primary reason I absolutely hate that cameo. While it is canon, it is also optional. He didn't need to be there at all. She also (re)established that Rogue's first time was in Antarctica. To be honest, though, that Sentry retcon was such a fiasco. It was only implied and made so little sense that can be easily dismissed.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2018, 02:55:17 PM »
KT is like any other writer.  She only uses the continuity that suits the story she wants to tell.  Only guillable people fall for writers claiming they have to respect continuity.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2018, 03:37:48 PM »
As for picking and choosing goes, she might have done herself a favor and left Magneto out of the picture. It wasn't well received with Carey and its not well received now.

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2018, 05:26:15 PM »
KT is like any other writer.  She only uses the continuity that suits the story she wants to tell.  Only guillable people fall for writers claiming they have to respect continuity.

She hasn’t omitted nor distorted continuity for self-fulfillment like Carey did.

As for picking and choosing goes, she might have done herself a favor and left Magneto out of the picture. It wasn't well received with Carey and its not well received now.

Exactly. There were a thousand ways that Rogue scene could’ve played out, she could’ve talked to anyone. The only purpose Magneto’s presence served was triggering the fans. 

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2018, 08:48:41 PM »
JUST got around to reading MMX6. With the new hours/location and writing I can't get to my lcs on Wednesdays. Let me catch up, haven't read a bit of the thread yet... But I will say this was one of my more favorite issues. Even though it was filler, it's one of the most engaging in between chapters I've read of a run. The art did it's job and fit the vibe. Absolutely loved the interactions between the Exs. I'm pretty sure what some folk may not have liked in this but I don't have much at all to complain about here.

Into the thread, I go!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 08:54:32 PM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2018, 09:05:27 PM »
Ah @&#& guys. C'mon, man... This was hands down one of the better written issues in the series. I was as annoyed as anyone else with Gambit-spear, but we just going to hold onto that? Gambit never finished a single fight in all of Asmus' run, but we don't stamp our feet in the ground and do this.

Hey, each his own and all that. I didn't see a huge problem here. KT used a pre established trope (good or bad) to wrap up what would have otherwise been a lengthy conflict while setting up another arc. It was done well. If we can't accept that powerwise Rogue is and has always been in a different league than Gambit (by choice mind you) then we aren't any better than those Rogue nuts over at CBR. I don't even post there anymore.

Buck up.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline X-fan73

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2018, 03:58:48 PM »
Pretty good for a stand alone story. Was anticipating more banter with the party. Been six years since Gambit has been "king" of Thieves guild. Will be cool to finally have a story about it.
Magneto scene didn't bother me at all. Magneto showed up on his own accord at that moment. Rogue wanted to speak to Magneto about the wedding to close the book officially on her romantic feelings for Mags.
. If this was a pro Roguneto scene. The scene would have played out differently. Another writer could bring it back, but it will be pretty unbelievable.

This is the best X-book going in 2018!
Oh and Gambit in the latest issue of Red is basically how I would like him to be utilized. He was wallpaper for most of the run, sure he didn't have the biggest role, but being effective and making a difference is a start.

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2018, 05:14:52 PM »
see problem is Rogue/Magneto fans were asking her about him appearing in the book same as Gambit fans were asking about the guilds reaction to his marriage, while we Gambit fans didn't like it there are other fans out there who were asking for that meeting

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2018, 08:20:35 PM »

I'm something of a continuity junky. It happened, and if she ignored it because some people hated it (me included) it'd make her less of a writer in my opinion. If it happened, it happened. This wasnt Rogue and Magneto pinning for one another it was a woman apologizing to a friend for the way he must have heard the news. Should have been pretty sudden. I wish we could have seen the reaction actually lol.

I've been there. But on the other side. I didn't tell a friend of mine that I had started dating someone else and it hurt her. I also had a ex text me a picture of her new engagement ring, just to make sure she told me first because we broke up but we were still close. It's not that unheard of.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2018, 01:19:59 AM »
Just a while ago, I recall us debating being in the same room with ex's and how awkward we would feel but now all of a sudden it is ok for Rogue to be sneaking around with her ex?  I seriously doubt anyone here would be cool with their wife/husband doing what Rogue did here.  Imagine if someone had caught them and blabbed to Gambit and his new wife is upstairs talking to Mags and then he finds out she specifically invited him there.  SMH!

Further, KT's premise here is bulls***.  The canon is Rogue f***ed Mag's brains out shortly after the harbor speech and for years she had yet to directly apologize to Gambit for it or apologized for how he might have found out about it.  Someone respecting continuity may have wondered how it would look that Rogue refused for years to even discuss Magneto with Gambit on panel but is inviting Mags to apologize but alas disrespecting Gambit is the norm now so no one bats an eye.

I love how much she respects Mags ie a dude she was with for a few months while she completely disrespects Gambit ie a guy who stood by her for years by not even discussing with him her relationship with Mags.  Instead we got a few s***ty thought bubbles in the mini and a blanket apology years after the fact. 

"But oh no, Mags must be hurting having to hear about my marriage, let me go sneak out of my party and go tell the cold bolded murderer I am sorry while spilling personal details I won't share with my husband." 

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2018, 02:01:29 AM »

Ah @&#& guys. C'mon, man... This was hands down one of the better written issues in the series. I was as annoyed as anyone else with Gambit-spear, but we just going to hold onto that? Gambit never finished a single fight in all of Asmus' run, but we don't stamp our feet in the ground and do this.

Hey, each his own and all that. I didn't see a huge problem here. KT used a pre established trope (good or bad) to wrap up what would have otherwise been a lengthy conflict while setting up another arc. It was done well. If we can't accept that powerwise Rogue is and has always been in a different league than Gambit (by choice mind you) then we aren't any better than those Rogue nuts over at CBR. I don't even post there anymore.

Buck up.
KT is the writer.  She can write any scene that she wanted.  The conflict could have been written for Gambit to end it but she wrote it for Rogue to end it.  Just like Rogue ends everything of importance in KT's writing.  Going all the way back to the mini when the villain was obviously created for Rogue and Rogue alone to work through her issues and she ended it there as well.

Rogue will always be the one to end it because KT will specifically write the story in a way for her to end it. That is the point.

I've been there. But on the other side. I didn't tell a friend of mine that I had started dating someone else and it hurt her. I also had a ex text me a picture of her new engagement ring, just to make sure she told me first because we broke up but we were still close. It's not that unheard of.

Did you then go around your current GF's back and meet with your ex to apologize?

Did your ex invite you to the engagement party then sneak out and meet you upstairs alone?

If not then your situations are not comparable.  I would have no problem with my GF wanting to tell her ex about us.  I would be livid if she went behind my back to do it.  I would also be livid if I found out she shared details that she should be sharing with me.  Finally, I would probably break up with her if she went out of her way to apologize to a dude when she refused to apologize to me for f***ing that same dude like 30 minutes before I pledged my eternal love to her.  That is simply not someone you can fully trust.  She makes accommodations for another dude that she never made for me.  Nah homie don't play that.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 02:09:12 AM by remydat »

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2018, 08:57:42 AM »
Still didn’t like the scene but she wasn’t exactly sneaking around. She invited him to the party, with everyone and didn’t sneak out to meet him. He showed up right after she dropped those guys in the river and was trying to ‘calm down’