Author Topic: Mr and Mrs X #7 Thread  (Read 20244 times)

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
Re: Mr and Mrs X #7 Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2019, 07:22:02 PM »

I think that a lot of people are still upset with Legacy or see it as an unavoidable blemish currently because it had a huge impact on Rogue and Gambit's relationship which is at the forefront of their ongoing. Mr & Mrs. X is literally a comic focused solely on their marriage (relationship). While yes you can label it as buffoonery and bad writing, it is still canon. And while Gambit has suffered from much of this crappy writing/buffoonery we know the reasons why he made many of his nimrod choices from the past. Whether it was Deathbit, his role in the Marauders, the Racky Lebeau stuff, and some of the more recent things. Sure you find his reasoning unsatisfactory but at least we know why. Had these moments been written better I would actually be fine with them and wouldn't hate those stories as much because it makes Gambit's character seem more human and multi-faceted instead of just a goody good spotless super hero like Clark Kent.

Many people still hold a grudge over Rogneto because we don't much about Rogue's reasoning for pursuing a relationship with Magneto and the little bit that has been written in the comics on this is very vague in explaining her reasons. Rogneto literally unfolded by having Rogue go to Magneto's room at night to sleep with him, she promised him only one night but then all of a sudden a few issues later they're in a full blown relationship and are shown in bed together post-coital before deciding to have more sex. We only have two instances where Rogue explains her reasoning for pursuing Magneto, yes she explicitly pursued this relationship (this is clear in Legacy). The first is in Legacy #248 where she recites the part of Gambit harbor speech where Remy says the reasons for and reasons against love don't matter anymore when you love somebody, to explain why she's about to make love to Magneto. That's all we got from Legacy because after that they were in a relationship. The second instance is in R&G #3 when she tells Remy she couldn't be with him when she had control of her powers because she had to try someone else first, that's all we got from that.

We never found out how Rogue was able to come to terms with Magneto's past, something she had a lot of trouble doing with Gambit. As Kelly Thompson has said herself in a podcast, we never found out how she was able to come to terms with things like Antarctica where she herself accused Magneto of mentally violating her on panel and how this caused her to leave Gambit to freeze/starve to death in Antarctica. Not to mention the other stuff Mags has done, like mass murder. You can infer from what we do have in the comics is that Rogue just loved Magneto that much that she just looked past those things without a care to address them when pursuing a relationship with Erik after not having interacted with him in years and even now she feels more comfortable discussing her relationship with Gambit to Magneto than with anybody else , this is a level of affection and sentimentality she has never shown towards Gambit.

This doesn't reflect well on Rogue when you factor in that in MMX where Gambit is seen as being more supportive and devoted than ever (this is a good thing in my opinion) but she still continues to put up walls towards and tries to run at the first instance hence why he has to remind her of the vows she made during their wedding in issue 5. Hell I'm under the impression that Rogue would've never even cared to try to fix her powers on her own had they not gone all bonkers. She would've been fine with the marriage to Remy despite all the constraints due to her powers and the collar.

Yep the fact is KT had a chance to address Rogneto properly but bailed on that opportunity.  That is the biggest frustration.  She claims she respects continuity but she has dealt with Gambit's issues as superficially as possible.  Instead of exploring that hurt and betrayal we getting another stupid story about Rogue's powers.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2019, 12:13:30 AM »

Yep the fact is KT had a chance to address Rogneto properly but bailed on that opportunity.  That is the biggest frustration.  She claims she respects continuity but she has dealt with Gambit's issues as superficially as possible.  Instead of exploring that hurt and betrayal we getting another stupid story about Rogue's powers.
This book is too Rogue heavy and too Gambit lite. Its not balanced (yeah, I know broken record but its all we've had for far too many issues.) The only character being written in this book is Rogue - and that is all on KT. Her choice of story telling.

edit: guess I'll sputter from time to time. :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 12:16:54 AM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2019, 06:34:21 AM »
maybe its because i dont necessarily like the character but is the development Rogue is getting in this book good? i mean imo its s***e she's more broken and overbearing reading back on issue 6 her dialog is terrible like some bad fan fic   

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2019, 11:26:56 AM »
maybe its because i dont necessarily like the character but is the development Rogue is getting in this book good? i mean imo its s***e she's more broken and overbearing reading back on issue 6 her dialog is terrible like some bad fan fic
Its an interesting question. I don't know if her characterization is good, its just too much. LOL

Rogue's hardcore fans aren't talking about this book. Currently, they seem to be MIA at the other place.

I'm thinking the only support its really getting is from romys who have their goggles on because of the marriage. And they aren't really saying much other than "its great" which isn't really saying anything.

edit: I guess this group likes to dissect stuff more.  :D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 11:30:50 AM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Mateo3000

• Journeyman
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2019, 12:11:03 PM »

The Legacy story was Mike Carey finding out Marvel wasn't renewing his contract for the amount he wanted or possibly at all. He accelerated his story following the end of AoX. We didn't get to see Rogue's "reasons" because according to him it was worked out "off panel". To be honest, my concern wasn't so much with Rogue, Magneto, or Gambit after the initial shock of discovering their relationship wore off (this event made me come back to reading comics BTW. I had quite after Gambit blinded himself). My disgust was with the rest of the X-Men. Like they did with being OK that Gambit was left to die years earlier, apparently, no one had a single concern about Rogue's choice in romantic partnering. Probably none of their business, but people like Storm and Wolverine who don't much care about hurt feelings, had nothing to say? Not a word? A comment? Nothing? I found it crazy that the same person that wrote the "harbor speech" everyone loves quoting, is the same person that did the very thing the same people (including me) renounced. It was more proof to me that the whole thing was just a product of Carey's wet dream that he wanted fulfilled before walking out the door.

That's always been a gripe of mine too and one that I know will never be addressed. The other X-men have treated Gambit worse than Sinister has. I honestly don't like the harbor speech, and I've grown to hate it over the years because every writer since has used it as an excuse to base nearly everything Gambit does and all of his development on Rogue. It eternally tied him down to Rogue and he hasn't seen any development outside of Rogue since then and he hasn't even developed from other interactions with other characters.

Offline Mateo3000

• Journeyman
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2019, 12:15:15 PM »
Its an interesting question. I don't know if her characterization is good, its just too much. LOL

Rogue's hardcore fans aren't talking about this book. Currently, they seem to be MIA at the other place.

I'm thinking the only support its really getting is from romys who have their goggles on because of the marriage. And they aren't really saying much other than "its great" which isn't really saying anything.

edit: I guess this group likes to dissect stuff more.  :D

Hardcore Romy fans are the people who are buying this comic and what's keeping it afloat. I don't now how long they can make it last but fans that lean more towards Gambit or Rogue aren't supporting it anywhere near as much. I really think Marvel chose to release this book about 15 years too late. This would be much more popular had it come out about 15 years ago when the Romy fandom was at it's peak. Hell it would probably sell better if it had the word "X-men" somewhere in its title.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2019, 01:23:52 PM »

That's always been a gripe of mine too and one that I know will never be addressed. The other X-men have treated Gambit worse than Sinister has. I honestly don't like the harbor speech, and I've grown to hate it over the years because every writer since has used it as an excuse to base nearly everything Gambit does and all of his development on Rogue. It eternally tied him down to Rogue and he hasn't seen any development outside of Rogue since then and he hasn't even developed from other interactions with other characters.

Sinister is his best friend.
I still think that Essex is sad that Remy didn't invite him to his mareiage.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2019, 05:49:21 PM »
Yes can we get a Gambit and Sinister due book.  Would be much better than this Rogue solo designed as a Romy book.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2019, 10:05:49 PM »

“Better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all.”
Whether you like Rogue's development or not, it is clear KT is trying to do something with the character.  There is no indication she gives a s*** about Gambit beyond the fact he is Rogue's preferred Johnson.  Gambit is not being treated like an equal participant in this point.  He is being treated like Rogue's love interest. 

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2019, 11:09:38 PM »

Hardcore Romy fans are the people who are buying this comic and what's keeping it afloat. I don't now how long they can make it last but fans that lean more towards Gambit or Rogue aren't supporting it anywhere near as much. I really think Marvel chose to release this book about 15 years too late. This would be much more popular had it come out about 15 years ago when the Romy fandom was at it's peak. Hell it would probably sell better if it had the word "X-men" somewhere in its title.
Agreed. The sales numbers show the lack of support from the hardcore factions verses the pairing group. It's not a sales burner and I agree the Xmen name should have been on the book somewhere.

I also agree and think this book is too late to capitalize on the fanbase that it is geared toward.

Having said that, the problem may be more than the concept being late. If the hardcore fan isn't getting what they had hoped or wanted out of the book. Fans bailed.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 11:56:52 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Greens

• Horseman
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2019, 10:02:14 AM »
Wow, haven't been here in a while. Sad to see the rogue/mags craziness still around, though, in hindsight, I suppose it would be until someone has the guts to fix it.

Anyway, I saw a posterr mentioned , all we got about 'rpgneto' were two things but honestly, one glaring omission was the actual mechanism/cause used to get rogue to Mags, i.e. using AoX Legacy's memories of love for him on Rogue. It was stated in the comic itself and also by Craey in interviews. So, we mustn't forget that too in what went down.

That doesn't excuse what he wrote but to be accurate, we mustn't leave that out either. And it doesn't mean we love/excuse Rogue or 'romy' if we state it also.

As evidence--- i used to LOVE Rogue but now I can't stand her. I should say, pre-Carey, I loved her but post-Carey, I just couldn't. I stopped comics. I thought about staying for Gambit but let's face it, spending money on what he gets to do in a month isn't worth it to me.

KT seems to like Carey's work which was a red signal for me so I'm not surprised she is writing such nonsense which is baffling considering she identifies as a 'feminist' on her tumblr. Not sure what feninist is okay with 'brainwashing a woman into sex' but, she seems to want to ignore what she wants.

I think Marvel needs to spend some money on actual writers (maybe from another medium... TV or so) and get some professionals in there.

BTW, I believe Marvel stood by Carey back then. He decided to leave. Thank God there are new people in charge now.

I'm sorry for all og the typos.  I'm only passing through to do a post for Neko and saw this and wanted to mention the omission so I'm not going to bother to fix the typos. Just ignore my post if it suits you.

To more important, real life matters--- I wish you all and yours a very Happy 2019.

Take care

Offline Mateo3000

• Journeyman
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2019, 11:32:00 AM »
Wow, haven't been here in a while. Sad to see the rogue/mags craziness still around, though, in hindsight, I suppose it would be until someone has the guts to fix it.

Anyway, I saw a posterr mentioned , all we got about 'rpgneto' were two things but honestly, one glaring omission was the actual mechanism/cause used to get rogue to Mags, i.e. using AoX Legacy's memories of love for him on Rogue. It was stated in the comic itself and also by Craey in interviews. So, we mustn't forget that too in what went down.

That doesn't excuse what he wrote but to be accurate, we mustn't leave that out either. And it doesn't mean we love/excuse Rogue or 'romy' if we state it also.

As evidence--- i used to LOVE Rogue but now I can't stand her. I should say, pre-Carey, I loved her but post-Carey, I just couldn't. I stopped comics. I thought about staying for Gambit but let's face it, spending money on what he gets to do in a month isn't worth it to me.

KT seems to like Carey's work which was a red signal for me so I'm not surprised she is writing such nonsense which is baffling considering she identifies as a 'feminist' on her tumblr. Not sure what feninist is okay with 'brainwashing a woman into sex' but, she seems to want to ignore what she wants.

I think Marvel needs to spend some money on actual writers (maybe from another medium... TV or so) and get some professionals in there.

BTW, I believe Marvel stood by Carey back then. He decided to leave. Thank God there are new people in charge now.

I'm sorry for all og the typos.  I'm only passing through to do a post for Neko and saw this and wanted to mention the omission so I'm not going to bother to fix the typos. Just ignore my post if it suits you.

To more important, real life matters--- I wish you all and yours a very Happy 2019.

Take care

Alright so that prick Mike Carey hasn't been very clear on this and his writing doesn't necessarily match what he's said in interviews. In this interview: [/size]https://www.cbr.com/x-position-mike-...f-x-aftermath/[/color][/size] Carey say's in the first question after he's asked about Legacy's memories, "That's a question she's probably asking herself, Xerox-Kitty. I'm sure those memories are still in the mix and I think it's for that reason that Magneto suddenly back-pedaled and tried to warn her off. It's similar to what happened in issue #234 when she kissed him under the influence of the psi-powers she'd borrowed from the Cuckoos. He refused to take advantage of the situation then, wanting her to come to him of her own free will and similarly, here, he does his best to remind her of what she might be getting into. But taking all these things into account, Rogue is still very much her own woman and she made the decision that felt right to her. I think it's important to stress that. She might be experiencing psychic echoes, but her feelings are her own and her life is her own. So in answer to your second question, I'd say, emphatically, yes -- whatever else is going on in her mind, the attraction is genuine." [/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size]However Carey has Rogue say this to Magneto in X-men Legacy #248, "Ah don't want to be around you. Ah can't sort out mah own thoughts from Legacy's. She loved you, loved the General. He was the thing she clung to, when she felt like she was drowning." That's on page 20 of that issue. [/color][/size]Carey clearly wants us to interpret all of this as Rogue loving Magneto of her own free will (with some of Legacy's mind in there). Basically that prick used Legacy's memories as a device/excuse to push them together because he was too lazy of a writer to actually develop Rogneto but he wants us to know that Rogue making the final push to pursue a relationship with Magneto was all on her. So now we're stuck with this and we have to acknowledge that it's what Rogue wanted. And nothing written to elaborate on this since proves the contrary. [/color]

Offline X-fan73

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2019, 11:41:00 AM »
Respectfully, I think some of you are holding onto that Roguneto scene from issue #6 like a dog would with a bone. Let’s be realistic, hasn’t Kelly Thompson said that she isn’t a fan of Roguneto to but it did happen in the comics so you have to deal with it. I don’t think she is going to take a dump on Mike Carey. Roguneto is dead, Gage killed it in Legacy. Plus it is not as if the scene in #6 was really a pro Roguneto scene.

At some point out of courtesy Rogue wanted to talk to Magneto to talk about accepting Gambit’s wedding proposal after rejecting his not too long ago. Then Magneto showed up on his own accord. She said what she needed. Then said he could go.If this was a pro Roguneto. We would have had a lot worse than this. If there is a pro Roguneto scene I’ll be the first to complain. If there is a pro Storm/ Magneto scene, a pro Jean/Magneto scene, etc in a x-book. I’ll be the first to complain, Magneto is a gross romantic companion for anyone.

I am enjoying this series, I am not judging based on some 50/50 scale. This has been a story about both of them together. I know that if you are not a Romy fan that will not likely entertain you. But this is the best X-Book going. Have you read Uncanny? What a mess. Gambit fans should feel more positive today and should be hopeful of the future. Instead, not that I begrudge you being able to do so,some are complaining so passionately you would think it was 2006 with Milligan writting a lobotomied Gambit that can’t see through Mystique’s obvious b.s.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2019, 01:59:47 PM »
Respectfully, I think some of you are holding onto that Roguneto scene from issue #6 like a dog would with a bone. Let’s be realistic, hasn’t Kelly Thompson said that she isn’t a fan of Roguneto to but it did happen in the comics so you have to deal with it. I don’t think she is going to take a dump on Mike Carey. Roguneto is dead, Gage killed it in Legacy. Plus it is not as if the scene in #6 was really a pro Roguneto scene.

At some point out of courtesy Rogue wanted to talk to Magneto to talk about accepting Gambit’s wedding proposal after rejecting his not too long ago. Then Magneto showed up on his own accord. She said what she needed. Then said he could go.If this was a pro Roguneto. We would have had a lot worse than this. If there is a pro Roguneto scene I’ll be the first to complain. If there is a pro Storm/ Magneto scene, a pro Jean/Magneto scene, etc in a x-book. I’ll be the first to complain, Magneto is a gross romantic companion for anyone.

I am enjoying this series, I am not judging based on some 50/50 scale. This has been a story about both of them together. I know that if you are not a Romy fan that will not likely entertain you. But this is the best X-Book going. Have you read Uncanny? What a mess. Gambit fans should feel more positive today and should be hopeful of the future. Instead, not that I begrudge you being able to do so,some are complaining so passionately you would think it was 2006 with Milligan writting a lobotomied Gambit that can’t see through Mystique’s obvious b.s.

KT likes Rogneto. She is a huge fan of AOA. I don't know, really about Legacy. Maybe she is not a fan of Legacy but she likes Rogue and Magneto.

KT also likes Rogue and Deadpool. Rogue just kissed Wade. Nothing more. It never were used in other books.
KT made from single kiss sutiation that Rogue was making out with Wade. She used it in R&G, MMX and even made X-23 talking with Kate Bishop about it in Hawkeye solo.

She likes all that romances for Rogue. Just Romy is her favourite.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 02:25:12 PM by purplevit »

Offline Mateo3000

• Journeyman
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2019, 02:39:29 PM »

KT likes Rogneto. She is a huge fan of AOA. I don't know, really about Legacy. Maybe she is not a fan of Legacy but she likes Rogue and Magneto.

KT also likes Rogue and Deadpool. Rogue just kissed Wade. Nothing more. It never were used in other books.
KT made from single kiss sutiation that Rogue was making out with Wade. She used it in R&G, MMX and even made X-23 talking with Kate Bishop about it in Hawkeye solo.

She likes all that romances for Rogue. Just Romy is her favourite.

Yup, this is all true. She has voiced her fondness of Rogneto (both AOA and Legacy) in the Xplain the Xmen podcast and she is a fan of what happened between Deadpool and Rogue.