Author Topic: MMX 8  (Read 19219 times)

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
Re: MMX 8
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2019, 08:18:15 AM »
Cool sequence there for Gambit ruined by the fact that he is fighting another dude for Rogue's affection. Dust hasn't even settled on the marriage and he has already had to compete for Rogue with Deadpool, Mags and now Longshot. Yawn! Wonder who Rogue will make out with next. Is Sentry or Human Torch available?

why do you even read the previews or look at anything to do with this book? all you do is complain about it, and say stuff which is not true like i highlighted, to Compete for Rogue would suggest that Rogue was interested in the others and that Gambit was competing for her affection, which if you read the book is clear she isn't cause you know the whole marriage thing, they both give Deadpool hell (Rogue has no interest in him), Rogue chats with Mags which will come up (again she has no interest romantically with him), as for Longshot he's not an ex but someone she had a crush on, also its in the Mojoverse where everything is being manipulated and while Rogue is a damsel who needs rescuing, Gambit remains badass.

It's not un-noticed that it's a Rogue boyfriend tour ... while married to Gambit. All that matters is that Gambit is married to Rogue. Rogue can do whatever.
Does Gambit matter to her at all ... oh wait .. he doesn't.

When is enough a enough. How low can Gambit be demeaned so harshly at the expense of a story, because it had to be all about Rogue.

You know what ... How about Gambit having meaning .. oh wait ... we can't have that. It's all about Rogue.

I'm angry .. KT writes the worst Gambit and I don't want him married to a character who gives more s***s to other guys than the one who was suppose to be her "soulmate".  Clearly he is not. My goodness ... do we have to re-live all of her crap. NO.

I'm annoyed, like it or don't. I've had enough.
ok so this is just.....
  • Gambit has just as much panel time as Rogue while she gets more focus here character comes out of it worse than Gambit
  • The whole boyfriend tour, Deadpool was just brought in to boost sales did he really do anything for the story other than show Rogue has no interest in him, he annoys them both and Gambit like blowing him up, Mags was a stupid move but its just a conversation, so thats 2 Ex boyfriends to Gambits 1 Ex wife......thats a crap ex boyfriend tour if you ask me.
  • Rogue can do whatever? please elaborate i don't understand what your trying to say with this, what has she done?. How is Gambit being demeaned? seriously?
  • As long as all the s*** stuff happens to Rogue you should be happy Gambit gets no "meaning"
  • KT is not a good writer and the last point is your opinion about her Gambit although i'd say shes better than Austin,Milligan,Carey, Gage ,McNiven  . How though has Rogue given more of a s*** to anyone over Gambit in the book? again Deadpool she's trying to get rid of or shut up, Mags she talks about being afraid of losing Remy and the preview shows that Mojo has created a love triangle, literally created it, so she has fake/ forced feelings for Longshot her old crush
im not a fan of the marriage, im not a fan of Mary Sue i mean Rogue but im not hating the book and it's really not how you two describe it to be. Not getting the Gambit you want is frustrating which is understandable, the writings not good i agree but the way you describe it is biased.
sorry to be a dick but you guys dont like the book, just don't read it, don't buy it stay away from previews, don't go on the thread, if this is how it makes you feel, sales are declining so the book wont last past 12 issues
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 08:25:16 AM by Dantay »

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2019, 08:46:03 AM »
Dantay,

You don't find it odd that in a Romy book, 3 of Rogue's love interests have appeared?  It is like KT has nothing interesting to say about Romy or Gambit beyond playing the relationship and Gambit off of Rogue's previous flings or crushes.

And the implication here is look how lucky Gambit is.  Rogue can have any dude she wants but she chose him.  I keep reading the previews because I keep waiting for a story about Romy or Gambit.

I already gave KT credit for Gambit being badass.  The fight scene is great.  The issue is the underlying pretext here is ultimately all about Rogue.  This would be like a car dealership giving you a free cell phone to distract from the fact the actual car they sold you is s***.  The Romy and Gambit development is s***.  I am not fooled by KT dangling a good fight scene in front of me.  Are you?

Finally I am a Gambit fan.  I am not going to shut up.  Sorry.  You are free to just ignore my posts but people are free to say they dislike something just as much as you are free to say you like something.  Not going to let KT's biased writing chase me away.  I will see this through hopefully to its cancellation.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 08:55:21 AM by remydat »
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2019, 09:02:20 AM »
Dantay,

You don't find it odd that in a Romy book, 3 of Rogue's love interests have appeared?  It is like KT has nothing interesting to say about Romy or Gambit beyond playing thw relationship and Gambit off of Rogue's previous flings or crushes.

And the implication here is look how lucky Gambit is.  Rogue can have any dude she wants but she chose him.  I keep reading the previews because I keep waiting for a story about Romy or Gambit.

Finally, I already gave KT credit for Gambit being badass.  The fight scene is great.  The issue is the underlying pretext here is ultimately all about Rogue.  Why should a Gambit fine want to see a story about Deadpool, Mags or Longshot? They have jack s*** to do with Gambit and.they are only there.because of Rogue.
we both just look at it differently, Deadpool to me was funny but also soooo shoehorned in just for sales, the Mags thing was the more i look back very odd, more his voice which is the writing , like him saying how Remy feels about her. Like this dude put him on trial, but i blame Carey moreso for that than anything else, im still waiting for it to play out, and i know it was fan service as she had been asked to have the two meet at some point by Rogueneto fans. Longshot was a crush and its mojo so it doesnt really get a reaction either way for me. I'm just happ she is focusing on rogue more due to how crappy Rogue is coming off this book is so negative for her , like theres no evolution for the character, she is stuck in an endless cycle, of boo who i cant touch, when ever a writer tries to "fix" her they or some-other writer will set her back to factory settings only this time KT has made her op and worse off. Gambit has been the same for years now although he is getting better moments as in Red and in this book, all he has are moments otherwise he is the same which is better than Rogue. Its not ideal but its way better than what we had, It will be interesting in the next arc with the Guilds to see what happens

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2019, 09:10:01 AM »
I think you are debating from an in story perspective whereas I am debating from a meta perspective.  KT could have written any story she wanted but chose to focus her story on Rogue and her relationships.  This is not Mr and Mrs Smith.  This is Mrs Smith and all her loves.

I believe KT once said she actually was a fan of multiple Rogue ships with Romy being her favorite and this reads like a 15 year old girl's fanfic where all the boys are after the lead female because she is so great.  If this were manga, this would be in the shojo section ie manga catered to a female audience as the storyline here is very similar to storylines in shojo.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 09:12:32 AM by remydat »

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2019, 12:41:44 PM »
I think you are debating from an in story perspective whereas I am debating from a meta perspective.  KT could have written any story she wanted but chose to focus her story on Rogue and her relationships.  This is not Mr and Mrs Smith.  This is Mrs Smith and all her loves.

I believe KT once said she actually was a fan of multiple Rogue ships with Romy being her favorite and this reads like a 15 year old girl's fanfic where all the boys are after the lead female because she is so great.  If this were manga, this would be in the shojo section ie manga catered to a female audience as the storyline here is very similar to storylines in shojo.
She favours Rogue for sure and i really wish she didnt have them marry, cause it was so fast given they have 20+ year history, one mini to fix their problems doesnt make it ok for them to marry and it will not end well, sorry ranting there
the whole lovers thing though, Deadpool was just a kiss which nothing really came from, Mags yes was a lover but Longshot was a crush/flit for her (which im not 100% on its before my time, just from what i read).

Bella showed up for Remy (which was done so much better) and really for him who else is there ? he has kissed Polaris & Storm so they would be Deadpool equivalent, he has'nt had any lovers apart from Bella, and in continuity since Rogue he has only had one night stands with  Lili Penrose (shes not showing up ,also think he cheated on Rogue that time) Angela Snow (she's out) Sister Katrina (she's out) then theres the "may have slept with" people, Joelle (she dead) and Mystique (he didn't, we'd know for sure by now) then theres the coulda happened and did in a weird timeline Marrow, oh also Candra but none of them showing up would make sense , whereas Rogues past is more recent.

On a side note i cant really comment but are the Ladies here happy with Rogue's portrayal at all, are her fans happy with it?

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2019, 02:49:09 PM »
Hard to tell if Rogue's fans are happy. There are some who aren't but I have to base that on the newly created Rogue thread at the other place.

I do know I'm not the only female who isn't thrilled with this book.

The only complaints I'm seeing is the power issue. And the making fun of Gambit fans because its so more important for the power issue to cleared up than Gambit having any story. *shrug*

Offline killphil

• Master Thief
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2019, 04:46:11 PM »
I find it ironic (and kind of amusing) that the only people Ive seen who have issues with a Rogue and Gambit book are Rogue and Gambit fans. Everyone else who is reading and reviewing the books seem to be loving it.

Edited to say: please don't take this as a personal attack. Just an observation from a very small sample size of the books consumers.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 04:55:51 PM by killphil »

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2019, 06:14:38 PM »
She favours Rogue for sure and i really wish she didnt have them marry, cause it was so fast given they have 20+ year history, one mini to fix their problems doesnt make it ok for them to marry and it will not end well, sorry ranting there
the whole lovers thing though, Deadpool was just a kiss which nothing really came from, Mags yes was a lover but Longshot was a crush/flit for her (which im not 100% on its before my time, just from what i read).

Bella showed up for Remy (which was done so much better) and really for him who else is there ? he has kissed Polaris & Storm so they would be Deadpool equivalent, he has'nt had any lovers apart from Bella, and in continuity since Rogue he has only had one night stands with  Lili Penrose (shes not showing up ,also think he cheated on Rogue that time) Angela Snow (she's out) Sister Katrina (she's out) then theres the "may have slept with" people, Joelle (she dead) and Mystique (he didn't, we'd know for sure by now) then theres the coulda happened and did in a weird timeline Marrow, oh also Candra but none of them showing up would make sense , whereas Rogues past is more recent.

On a side note i cant really comment but are the Ladies here happy with Rogue's portrayal at all, are her fans happy with it?

But why do former lover interests or crushes have to show up qt all?  I am not asking that Gambit's former lovers show up.  I am saying the panel time would have been better spent on their relationship not past flings.

We are 8 issues in and still no closer to any meaningful Romy development.  I do not think people bought the book for Deadpool, Bella, Mags or Longshot.  It is all one big sleight of hand to distract from the fact KT' apparently doesn't know what to do with Romy.

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2019, 07:19:34 PM »

But why do former lover interests or crushes have to show up qt all?  I am not asking that Gambit's former lovers show up.  I am saying the panel time would have been better spent on their relationship not past flings.

We are 8 issues in and still no closer to any meaningful Romy development.  I do not think people bought the book for Deadpool, Bella, Mags or Longshot.  It is all one big sleight of hand to distract from the fact KT' apparently doesn't know what to do with Romy.
agree with Bella and Mags but people definitely bought for Deadpool, as for Longshot he's part of Mojo world he was bound to show up, i think the story is trying to stop them from spending time on their relationship , like when they return from space theres that awkward moment before they decide to throw a party, unfortunately fans who don't like the direction the story is taking is at the mercy of the writer and this seems to be the story KT wants to tell, next arc is supposed to focus more on Gambit and im more worried about that seeing how badly she handles Rogue, god knows what she will do with the guilds, so far while i dont think she's very good i am enjoying the book maybe because she hasn't damaged Gambit the way she has Rogue.
I find it ironic (and kind of amusing) that the only people Ive seen who have issues with a Rogue and Gambit book are Rogue and Gambit fans. Everyone else who is reading and reviewing the books seem to be loving it.

Edited to say: please don't take this as a personal attack. Just an observation from a very small sample size of the books consumers.

not at all dude , its a fair point, but you should know fans are never happy lol

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2019, 08:53:10 PM »
At first I didn't get what you meant with Rogue and Gambit fans. I'm guessing the Rogue only and Gambit only groups. They've been divided for a long time.

It's the romys who must support the book because they're happy no matter what happens. It's the concept for them, not so much the rest of it. IMO. I could be wrong.

No big deal. We all observe things. Never a bad thing to point it out. :)

Offline albahan888

• Master Thief
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2019, 02:01:30 AM »
At first I didn't get what you meant with Rogue and Gambit fans. I'm guessing the Rogue only and Gambit only groups. They've been divided for a long time.

It's the romys who must support the book because they're happy no matter what happens. It's the concept for them, not so much the rest of it. IMO. I could be wrong.
No big deal. We all observe things. Never a bad thing to point it out. :)

I disagree with you because as much as I love Romy and am really happy to see it not get treated like a smelly poo over in the corner that gets ignored and then treated like the poo Marvel seemed to think it was before all of this when it did get brought up I still don't think they've done enough to make Romy work currently. I'm not buying Mr and Mrs X and nothing I've heard is enough for me to break my Marvel boycott again for it. I think it just comes down to this weird unwillingness or inability to take this opportunity and use it to actually hash out and really dig into all of the weird rotten garbage that's been piled up on this relationship since Milligan's run.

I mean I do think that sometimes people just go into this book looking to hate it and find things to make them correct about that which are maybe more innocent than they're being taken or are being interpreted a bit too extremely in a negative slant but that's also true of people who want to love it they just point their filter in a positive direction. I am pretty disappointed in what I've heard from Kelly Thompson just not at all or not very well dealing with anything from Milligan or Carey or Gage or Rogue's Avengers stuff. Fortunately/unfortunately Gambit has barely done anything for years now so there isn't as much on his side to deal with in regards to Romy which also doesn't help the character balance since Rogue is the one who has the most work to do on the relationship since Gambit has pretty much always just loved Rogue at least in my estimation.

From what I've heard though Gambit mostly handles himself just fine and this is the most active he's been in forever so regardless of the negative or positive slants on the matter I think that's a good thing that he's a co-lead in a book and he gets to fight and not always get punked out and suck at stealing things despite being the best thief. I do think Rogue's other 'relationships' showing up is a little bad especially in the case of that old terrorist doing so because he was invited and then Rogue confiding in him because Kelly Thompson apparently didn't get any feedback about that or maybe she likes that awful pairing even if she likes Romy more... blech.

I mean seriously that awful old man can't be 'exploring' and not matter and a long time villain who caused the worst thing to ever happen to you and your now husband the same current husband whose words you used to justify doing that old terrorist when you did (barf). Then you invite that same awful old meaningless exploring old terrorist man to your housewarming party and spill your guts to him and also apologize of all things... no... that's terrible... terrible. Mystique would be equally gross in a different way but make more sense or... an actually a good person friend. Does Rogue not have any of those? I mean there's no reason to bring this up here other than it's been in my head lately for God only knows why but that 'relationship' is and was just gross... it led to one of the weirdest conversations I've read in an X-Man comic between Rogue and Toad. Look it up. Anyway... rant over. Sorry. It's just definitely weird that a Romy book would bring that monstrosity up at all much less treat it nicely because I doubt I'm the only fan even just of either character who dislikes that 'relationship'. I mean if you care about continuity I guess you can't ignore it but if you're gonna handwave it away then you should. It doesn't need to ever come back and that old terrorist sure doesn't deserve an invitation to anything involving Rogue and/or Gambit much less an apology for not getting one to a thing that became a thing and then happened within a few hours of that.

Still I also think Longshot makes sense to show up because it's Mojo and he was just a crush. I don't think it's always bad and context matters. I also don't know who would show up on the Gambit side just because I don't know who he's really been with in the comics outside of Belladonna and Rogue. Frenzy? I don't remember because I'm definitely biased to Romy and I don't think any relationship or otherwise (other than whoever it was forcing in a Gambit slept with Mystique when she was disguised as... whatever it was that's also gross) has been as out of character and badly done as Rogue and that old terrorist. I'm also probably in the minority on this but I don't feel like Gambit's ladies' man moniker and charm mean he's necessarily as promiscuous as some fans seem to think he is or want him to be or at least not since he's been with the X-Men.

Basically I think it just boils down to this book having a weird feel to it and if you're opposed to or generally negative towards Romy you're probably never going to like it and if you just love Romy and don't get hung up on some things like I do you'll probably really like it and hopefully it converts some new fans so Romy won't just die off again. However, keep in mind that Rogue & Gambit was originally going to kill Romy (the relationship) off 'for good' (sure...) so I unfortunately wouldn't count on them being together for too long. So if you hate that just wait until the series is done and see what happens. I would like to see them also appear in more things whether it's together or not as long as they're treated respectfully. I think that would also help things a lot having other books to have different interactions with other characters in. Hopefully that wasn't too much of a ramble. Just some stuff I thought I'd bring up as an not so outside observer.

Offline Spoonz

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2019, 03:56:22 AM »
Just want to add my opinion here.  I'm pretty much on the same boat as Neko and Remydat. As a Gambit fan - not Romy, not Rogue, only Gambit - who has a soft spot for the relationship because of the 90's, this book isn't doing it for me.  Yes, Gambit has cool moments.  Yes, he's shown as a competent fighter.  BUT when you dig into the story,  well, he is the sidekick.  I can't really get into the argument like you guys can because a lot has been said already and I'd be re-treading, but just take the Thieves Guild fight for example.  Why did Rogue go onto the roof with Gambit?  Why?  Why did SHE need to finish the fight?  Could Gambit not have finished the fight in some badass way because his wife was telling him to get his but back inside and look after the guests?  After all, it was HIS fight. 

It feels like the compass points to Rogue each time.  It felt like that in the space story.  It feels like that now.  It's her development.  Gambit, as always, is along for the ride.  So yeah, I care not for this book and I'm bitterly disappointed by it :(
I can't fault anybody for enjoying it though, and I'm glad that you are!

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2019, 08:37:26 AM »
  just take the Thieves Guild fight for example.  Why did Rogue go onto the roof with Gambit?  Why?  Why did SHE need to finish the fight?  Could Gambit not have finished the fight in some badass way because his wife was telling him to get his but back inside and look after the guests?  After all, it was HIS fight. 

It feels like the compass points to Rogue each time.  It felt like that in the space story.  It feels like that now.  It's her development.  Gambit, as always, is along for the ride.  So yeah, I care not for this book and I'm bitterly disappointed by it :(
I can't fault anybody for enjoying it though, and I'm glad that you are!
Hi  >:D , no arguments just debates , i kinda agree/disagree with Rogue getting involved in the fight, yes its Gambits fight and he is fighting normal people so no big deal, he's handling himself pretty well, he actually looks to be having fun and he even saves Rogue as she is being strangled, theres no doubt that Gambit by himself would have handled it
Rogue getting involved is annoying but its her husband she's going to have his back, she is going to get involved, its kinda a characteristic of hers , the she gets impatient and goes nuclear to end it quick as she can, they have guests coming and don't want the party ruined,

as a Gambit fans we tend to look at how this is a negative for Gambit, ive stopped doing that and instead i focused on how bad this looks for Rogue, she has to get involved in a fight she knows Remy can handle, she's no good really, she has to wear a dampener and when she becomes a damsel she gets impatient and rips the thing off because she cant handle it,
I dont think there is a win in this situation, Rogue gets involved some fans aren't happy others are ok with it, Rogue doesn't get involved fans get mad because she didn't back up her man, better to have her support him then. Also her getting involved is probably going to be addressed in the Guild arc
Ok so remember X23 this is what the book reminds me of except not was well written, granted it was Lauras book Remy was on 90% of its run, there was no development for him but he was consistently written, now Mr & Mrs X he gets just as much panel time but story wise like you said "It feels like the compass points to Rogue each time" i for one am happy with this because if KT focuses on Remy like she did Rogue no Gambit fan will be happy

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2019, 10:47:01 AM »
Gambit got development in X-23 though.  He developed a relationship with Laura that still exists today.  He also was shown as a mature mentor to her which pror to Li was pretty much non-existent since Lil Storm.

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2019, 11:29:06 AM »
Gambit got development in X-23 though.  He developed a relationship with Laura that still exists today.  He also was shown as a mature mentor to her which pror to Li was pretty much non-existent since Lil Storm.
ok  the relationship building is development for both characters and he developed a relationship further with Cecilia so building friends for Remy. However Remy had been seen as a mentor figure before or mentioned as one ala Pixi in Hellbound saying how he thought her to pick locks, so its not a development really, its nothing new to the character, he under the writer will be a teacher or mentor figure to students, granted Laura was more akin to lil Storm.  So even with me disagreeing with you on one point i will agree Remy still had more development in X23