Author Topic: MMX 8  (Read 19237 times)

Offline belay

• Guild Member
Re: MMX 8
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2019, 12:35:29 AM »
I really really enjoyed this issue. It was a fun entertaining book with a very clever plot. KT really used Gambit in a very smart way against Longshot and Spiral. Gambit have never seen/been in the real mojoverse so it will be really interesting on how he handles himself in an unknown place and steal the object for Spiral.

Offline RomeoSvengali

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2019, 03:38:07 AM »
I know that Rogue was under control, but that kiss scene wasn't necessary, but because Rogue and Longshot kissed each other a long time ago, that scene has to be recreated again in some way... meh. I guess since they didn't explore their own romance and sparks didn't fly, Blair Marnell at Marcvel.com will be very disappointed with this issue (what a dumbass)... I'm glad that the pop culture references didn't go on and on. If it was the other way around with Gambit kissing someone else, I can't see how he would get off the hook, he would mostly likely get accused of cheating, adultery, etc (he's accused of that all the time), no way could he use the excuse of being his mind being wiped or under control.

As for Gambit's fight with Longshot, that was pretty good... but is his defeat any real victory for Gambit? Does that go up there when he fought Wolverine, Gladiator, Daredevil, Blade, or War Machine? I mean I know that Longshot is skilled and deadly in his own right, but he doesn't come across as a big name character for Gambit to get some sort of recognition for. Does beating him really count in the Mojo universe? It was nice to see Rogue in her classic 90s costume again instead of that all puke green outfit that she's been wearing for far too long. I guess we'll see Gambit actually doing something on his own in the next issue... but we'll see how long that'll last since the cover to issue #9 doesn't really get me excited.

Romy fans have become mindless sheep, every issue is perfect and according to them, Rogue doesn't have to say "I love you", she does that through her actions... how convenient, there's always an excuse for her piss poor behavior.
https://vimeo.com/49613968
-Romeo Svengali (Monican swordsman)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2019, 04:44:11 AM »
C`mon guys. At first you don`t like that Gambit fights only no name characters. Now he defeated Longshot in a cool way and it is again not enough?

There are a lot of mindless hate in this thread where people just hate every issue the same way hard Romy fans enjoy every issue.

Gambit threads here are not healthy. And it started a long time ago. It is really sad when smart people ignore all good things and are trying to turn everything into bad. It is not normal and not the way it should be. At least here. It is not freaking CBR.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 05:07:32 AM by purplevit »

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2019, 06:45:43 AM »
C`mon guys. At first you don`t like that Gambit fights only no name characters. Now he defeated Longshot in a cool way and it is again not enough?

There are a lot of mindless hate in this thread where people just hate every issue the same way hard Romy fans enjoy every issue.

Gambit threads here are not healthy. And it started a long time ago. It is really sad when smart people ignore all good things and are trying to turn everything into bad. It is not normal and not the way it should be. At least here. It is not freaking CBR.
i know right, to be fair though its not mindless hate, everyone has different opinions just some of the negativity is saying things thats not true and just twisting things to fill their own narrative imo, it is hard though i have to re read some of the issues to get a positive view on them,
X-Treme was probably the last time she actually told Gambit she loved him too. Unless someone knows of a more recent moment, that's pretty sad.

Anyway, another former crush/flame for Rogue, check. How many are left now? I thought I read somewhere that the Sentry thing was explained away, so that just leaves the flame brain, right?

Yawn.

It's Mojo world dude , Longshot was bound to show up, it's kinda his gig , So far we've had Deadpool (for sales) Magneto (fan service for Rogueneto fans, KT was asked for this by fans) and Longshot who again was gonna show up its Mojo world itd be weird if he didnt

as for the last time Rogue said i love you, this is interesting, XM 187 she say's to Deathbit "we love eachother" and later to Gus/Pulse "the love of mah life" but last i remember it was XXM 18 now she may have said it since that but i dont remember and if she said it to someone else that she loved Gambit i didnt read it because Gambit probably was'nt in it,

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2019, 06:51:45 AM »
I liked this issue a lot especially because I found the previous two very mediocre. Loved all the references squeezed in (the nod to the snappening was fun). Gambit was great throughout. Spiral scheming to get him there was more than I was expecting. Rogue locking lips with Longshot was unnecessary, though.

Also I admit I’m kinda relieved. I thought all that Gambit was going to do in this issue was steal something (cause, you know, that’s what he does) and the next would be 20 pages of Rogue going through her mental journey. Now I think we will follow both characters on separate journeys (though we know which one is getting developed). 

It’s probably wishful thinking on my part but Remy going for a drink and wanting to be alone might be his finally realizing that he is too devoted to Rogue while she doesn’t show him the same affection. Rogue’s lines in the documentary were… interesting. It might point to her acknowledging that she has to prove she wants to be with him but since I doubt KT thinks there’s anything wrong with perfect little Rogue, I’m skeptical.

Both love and hate for this book are disproportional. Some fans are so in love with it just because it’s romy that they are blinded to its flaws; while others loathe its premise so much that they’ll keep on hating it no matter what. It's ridiculous how some people distort facts and think they're being clever.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 07:00:17 AM by andresa »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2019, 07:24:26 AM »
It’s probably wishful thinking on my part but Remy going for a drink and wanting to be alone might be his finally realizing that he is too devoted to Rogue while she doesn’t show him the same affection. Rogue’s lines in the documentary were… interesting. It might point to her acknowledging that she has to prove she wants to be with him but since I doubt KT thinks there’s anything wrong with perfect little Rogue, I’m skeptical.

I thought the same. I like Romy but right now their relationship in MMX is not healthy. I think it will be brought that Gambit gives more then receives.
Also I think next issue Gambit will must to do smth bad to steal that thing. So he will have a dilemma if he really must or wants to do that bad thing to save Rogue.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2019, 07:28:40 AM »

as for the last time Rogue said i love you, this is interesting, XM 187 she say's to Deathbit "we love eachother" and later to Gus/Pulse "the love of mah life" but last i remember it was XXM 18 now she may have said it since that but i dont remember and if she said it to someone else that she loved Gambit i didnt read it because Gambit probably was'nt in it,

I think the last time was in Asmus solo in snow with Joelle. Or something like this.

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2019, 08:50:22 AM »

I think the last time was in Asmus solo in snow with Joelle. Or something like this.
nope she never said i love you, Gambit #11 Rogue say's she came to help, she doesnt want to see Remy drive off a cliff, he replies he's doing the same for Joelle, she say's "your going through all this because you love her?" the he replies did you just say? and they are interrupted. So she didn't actually say i love you

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2019, 09:30:33 AM »
nope she never said i love you, Gambit #11 Rogue say's she came to help, she doesnt want to see Remy drive off a cliff, he replies he's doing the same for Joelle, she say's "your going through all this because you love her?" the he replies did you just say? and they are interrupted. So she didn't actually say i love you

Yeah, no direct I love you. But that was the closest thing that I could remeber.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2019, 12:27:36 PM »
This post is NOT directed at anyone but I think at this point needs to be said - disclaimer done.

In case it was missed … most posts started with it was a good issue, best one in the series.  It's in bold for a reason. Re-read that a few times, please for my sake because it is deemed all dislike when in fact, the book has been stated as a good read or this issue is best one thus far but there are nuances that are not liked or a general feel.  LOL

Re: critique/story issues-
The dislike feels like a long time because we've had 13 months so far with another 2 to go of the same stuff and allegedly 2 where the direction should be different but no guarantees that it will not be the same stuff. The same stuff over and over and over and ... and as many overs as you need to see it. This book and its mini has been very Rogue-centric.

What is being pointed out is nuance in story telling.  We are dissecting as usual.

For example when some were enjoying ANXF through thick and thin even to the bitter end, those who didn't like it, stated it and the site rolled on.  Are we picking and choosing which books to critique/discuss and which ones can not be?

This place has always been a spot where you can discuss as deeply or lightly as wished or just read and not say anything. Participation is on the user.

Thanks for reading. Carry on.  :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 12:46:44 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2019, 02:08:24 PM »

I think we listed multiple issues with the book.  His fighting was just one of them and everyone I have seen acknowledges it was a good showing for Gambit.  That has nothing to do with the other issues with the book.

If I complain about the food and service at a restaurant and the next time I go the food was good but the service was still s***, am I suppose to ignore the s***ty service because they fixed one of the problems?

Further you noted similar issues.  The only difference is you wish to focus on the glass being half full while we are focused on the glass being half empty.  To that I say, to each his/her own.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 02:15:42 PM by remydat »
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2019, 02:09:49 PM »
Since, I stalled the thread. Lets see.

I know that Rogue was under control, but that kiss scene wasn't necessary, but because Rogue and Longshot kissed each other a long time ago, that scene has to be recreated again in some way... meh. I guess since they didn't explore their own romance and sparks didn't fly, Blair Marnell at Marcvel.com will be very disappointed with this issue (what a dumbass)... I'm glad that the pop culture references didn't go on and on. If it was the other way around with Gambit kissing someone else, I can't see how he would get off the hook, he would mostly likely get accused of cheating, adultery, etc (he's accused of that all the time), no way could he use the excuse of being his mind being wiped or under control.

And the fans wouldn't let it go either. LMAO Gambit would get roasted.

As for Gambit's fight with Longshot, that was pretty good... but is his defeat any real victory for Gambit? Does that go up there when he fought Wolverine, Gladiator, Daredevil, Blade, or War Machine? I mean I know that Longshot is skilled and deadly in his own right, but he doesn't come across as a big name character for Gambit to get some sort of recognition for. Does beating him really count in the Mojo universe? It was nice to see Rogue in her classic 90s costume again instead of that all puke green outfit that she's been wearing for far too long. I guess we'll see Gambit actually doing something on his own in the next issue... but we'll see how long that'll last since the cover to issue #9 doesn't really get me excited.

LOL – lots of Rogue on the cover.

Romy fans have become mindless sheep, every issue is perfect and according to them, Rogue doesn't have to say "I love you", she does that through her actions... how convenient, there's always an excuse for her piss poor behavior.

She does no wrong. LOL  The “I love you” thing seems a tad disconcerting. Makes you wonder why she married Gambit.

@Remydat - regarding Torch and Sentry. The narrative would be "new" because didn't both of these happen off panel. Thus the writer could do whatever she wanted.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2019, 02:12:44 PM »
i know right, to be fair though its not mindless hate, everyone has different opinions just some of the negativity is saying things thats not true and just twisting things to fill their own narrative imo, it is hard though i have to re read some of the issues to get a positive view on them,It's Mojo world dude , Longshot was bound to show up, it's kinda his gig , So far we've had Deadpool (for sales) Magneto (fan service for Rogueneto fans, KT was asked for this by fans) and Longshot who again was gonna show up its Mojo world itd be weird if he didnt

It is mojo world most likely because the writer wanted Longshot to appear so she created a narrative that allows that.  All of what you said are just rationalizations for the writer to bring Rogue's ex's in the book.

There is no logical reason in a book about Romy to give a s*** about Rogueneto fans.  KT only cares about them because she is also a Rogueneto fan so she is just living out her fanfic fantasies.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 02:16:22 PM by remydat »
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2019, 03:39:02 PM »

I think we listed multiple issues with the book.  His fighting was just one of them and everyone I have seen acknowledges it was a good showing for Gambit.  That has nothing to do with the other issues with the book.

If I complain about the food and service at a restaurant and the next time I go the food was good but the service was still s***, am I suppose to ignore the s***ty service because they fixed one of the problems?

Further you noted similar issues.  The only difference is you wish to focus on the glass being half full while we are focused on the glass being half empty.  To that I say, to each his/her own.

Nah, you are wrong. I always write what I like in book and why I like it and then what I hate in it and why I hate it.

And you are just moaning. Every time.

You will write some wrong s***. I will show you with facts that you are wrong. You will tell that you don't care and can write whatever you want.

It repits every time.

It is sad because you can do better.

Offline Mateo3000

• Journeyman
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2019, 04:50:11 PM »
Neko made a great point. This forum is a place for all Gambit fans (and even non-fans too) to voice their opinions on comics. Whether you hate something unconditionally or love something unconditionally doesn't matter. The only thing that I think is important is that everyone is respectful and mindful of other's opinions. If you hate it feel free to post it and if you love it post about it too, but I think it's important that we are tolerant of other's opinions and nobody should be harassed. The guild is a great place to post your opinions on Gambit comics where you don't have to censor yourself and don't have to worry about draconian mods who will delete your posts/block you at the first sign of something they don't like (I'm looking at you CBR).

Now onto my thoughts on Issue 8 of Mr & Mrs. X:

I liked it and I think it was probably the best issue so far in the series in my opinion. The action bits with Gambit and Longshot, and with Spiral, were great. It's great to see Remy be both effective and ingenious in a battle. Both brawn and smarts were present in Remy. The dialogue read very well to me too and was believable, both from Rogue and Gambit. I liked the art, it wasn't great but I think it's solid enough, and the coloring is A-level. As a Gambit this is the most fun I've had reading Gambit in this entire series. I'm interested to see what exactly he's going to be stealing in the Mojoworld and I love the Blade Runner aesthetics of it all. The main gripe I have, and pretty much the main gripe I've had this whole series, is that I wish Remy's love for Rogue wasn't the only thing that defined his character. Thompson seems to be driving the point across, according to the last page, that Remy's love for Rogue is seemingly the only point of development he's had worth noting. While this love is important, I think that there's more to Remy than just his love for Rogue and this isn't the only thing that has driven his development. This is true for Rogue as well, however maybe Thompson disagrees with me and that's why she really hasn't given Remy any actual character development outside of being supportive towards Rogue (which he's been since at least Legacy in 2011). Overall though Issue 8 was solid and I think the pay off is gonna make or break this series.This issue really was the most fun to read as a Gambit fan, and the best he's looked while being written by Kelly Thompson. Both his dialogue and fight scenes were a blast. Hopefully the future issues hold up and hopefully he gets more development as well.

As to where Thompson is going with MMX, LegoLiz from CBR suggested that there must be some sort of pay-off that she is aiming towards. And that to me will basically make or break the series, especially for fans who lean more towards Gambit or Rogue. It's exhausting reading the same formula for the last 10+ years now of Rogue being unsure about Remy and Remy trying to find ways to prove himself. I thought maybe Thompson was moving past this in the mini, albeit in a very convenient way that ignored some of the biggest issues many fans had with the relationship, but then MMX has felt like retread for me with Rogue taking steps back. I understand Rogue lost control of her powers but she handled it the same way she would have before she got back together with Remy (and married him) as if the development she got from the mini just went out the window. Hopefully Thompson is working towards some sort of pay-off as LegoLiz mentioned. Whether it's Rogue finally being sure of Remy's love and learning to be just as supportive. Or with Rogue finally figuring it out that maybe she just doesn't love him and that she shouldn't keep leading Remy on by making him think that their love is mutual. Either would reflect growth in my book and I would be fine with either.

I also want to mention that whatever the pay-off is from this arc for Rogue, that Gambit hopefully develops from this as well. Like if Rogue finally admits that Remy's love is enough and that she needs to be just as supportive, then Remy will finally see that he can be more confident in himself (like he used to be) and no longer has insecurities about self-worth. Like he'll fully realize that he's enough and doesn't have to take s*** from anyone who doubts his trustworthiness. Or if Rogue comes out and finally admits that she doesn't actually love Remy, then Remy can fully realize that their love wasn't meant to be and that he should move on from Rogue onto different & better things.

But at the end of the day issue 8 was the most solid issue so far and probably the best Gambit has been portrayed by Thompson so far.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 04:59:45 PM by Mateo3000 »