Author Topic: MMX 9  (Read 9100 times)

Offline belay

• Guild Member
Re: MMX 9
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2019, 10:30:17 PM »
Preview: https://www.superherohype.com/comics/440349-exclusive-preview-mr-and-mrs-9-put-gambit-in-a-new-heist?slideshow=11703#/slide/1

The artwork and the concept look amazing. I loved how Gambit was written here and the entire panel looked so freaking beautiful.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2019, 01:17:35 AM »
Good preview. I like it!

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2019, 08:12:09 AM »
preview in a non-gallery format
[/size][/color]
[/size]http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2019/03/22/marvel-preview-mr-and-mrs-x-9/[/color]

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2019, 10:47:26 AM »
First an egg that turned out to be a kid and now an actual baby. That's how you troll a newlywed couple.

Looking forward to reading this.

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2019, 12:59:59 PM »
the hood is so odd

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2019, 04:32:40 PM »
 #9 was fine. Gambit was cool. Rogue`s journey wasn`t exciting or shocking. Expected more. But overall this issue was fine.

Will see how arc will end in #10. Can`t wait for Guilds!!!

« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 05:19:24 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2019, 05:39:57 PM »
aprt from not having a handle on Remys voice this issue was fun

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2019, 08:25:31 AM »
Thought it was all right. Rogue's finding the core of the problem with her powers was oversimplified in my opinion but whatever I don't really care for her. 

The art was a little bit inconsistent. Gambit's characterization didn't bother me, though. I like that he committed to helping those people in the middle of his mission.   

The cut between the arc panel and him holding a baby was oddly abrupt. I have no idea what’s up with that baby since it's clear that only Gambit is seeing a baby and I don’t want to assume that’s what he wants to see. 

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2019, 11:25:55 AM »
Couldn't be bothered to flip through it yesterday but flipped through it today and it was yet another Rogue controlling her powers story with a few cool moments mixed in.  It fell completely flat for me not only because it is an old tired story but because the solution was so utterly predictable and simple.  If you are going to rehash a story over and over, I was hoping KT actually had something insightful and unique to bring to that story but sadly she did not. 

The fact we waited 9 issues for such a disappointing resolution is amazing to me.  Should have just dealt with it in the Mini or early on in the comic and found something else to write about.  This series as a whole gives me the feeling of moving around chairs on the deck of the Titanic.  The chairs are nicely arranged and provides a good visual but at the end of the day the ship still has a gaping hole in it and is going to sink.  The sad thing is KT is a good writer but the stuff she chooses to focus on is just so uninspiring.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 11:32:20 AM by remydat »
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline RomeoSvengali

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2019, 01:41:45 PM »
It felt like a wasted opportunity for Thompson to really go into Rogue's past, such as the Genosha event, but I wonder if Marvel even allow that to be told in detail? But at least her memories in this story actually had some meaning to them, some self-reflection, since unlike in Legacy, that showed quick meaningless events, it was a instant fix with no explanation as to why she couldn't control her powers or how Xavier did it and what to do if she loses control of them again, but of course that was a talentless disgusting hack who wrote that. While "fear" makes it simplistic, at least it was an answer and that it's something that she'll always have to struggle with. Also, Rogue did admit that most of the problems between her and Gambit came from her, not because of her powers, that's no surprise to any Gambit fan, but nevertheless she did admit that.

It's crazy that this has gone on for so long, but this is the result of decades of one writer after the other not really bothering to do anything about Rogue's abilities. Whatever problems someone created it's the whole, oh it's the next person's problem, not mine.
https://vimeo.com/49613968
-Romeo Svengali (Monican swordsman)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2019, 04:28:43 PM »
I haven't read it ... haven't even been to the shop ..... so, just another issue all about Rogue and her powers ....  huh? *sigh* Thats too bad, there has to be some burn out somewhere. IMO.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 05:57:15 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2019, 07:08:10 PM »
It's crazy that this has gone on for so long, but this is the result of decades of one writer after the other not really bothering to do anything about Rogue's abilities. Whatever problems someone created it's the whole, oh it's the next person's problem, not mine.

Don't know that there was anything to really do though.  She is probably better off with limits which is why writers inevitably go back to her not being able to touch.  And this story does nothing to solve that because it has an instant out.  Anyone who wants Rogue to struggle with control will simply note that KT wrote that it is something that she will always have to deal with.  Thus, she can be written as losing control again and the reason why is already explained.  So in the end, this solves nothing.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2019, 10:58:53 AM »
Well there's only 3 issues left then they're off to join a new team of sorts, whether it has an "X" in it or not, time will tell.

I'm in that camp that enjoys the book. Though in the last 2 issues, the Gambit parts have been far more interesting than the Rogue parts. Her part will divide many people, my criticism is that we've been here before with the flashbacks, which is tedious, but part of that blame is what happened in Remender's UA where he pulled Rogue back into that status to force this sort of story again...however I do prefer Rogue solving that problem on her own rather than Xavier's "quick fix" in Legacy...so I was content with that resolution, the "fear" makes it more manageable rather than something overly complex. Not the most interesting read, but that's fine.

Though the thing is with Rogue's uncertainty with her relationship with Gambit, is that this story needed to be written BEFORE X-Men Gold's shock wedding issue. The angst is overplayed, especially now that they're married. Wishy-Washy Rogue isn't doing her character any favours, that part needs to stop and I'd be disappointed if Rogue is judgemental over Gambit's role in the Thieves Guild while it's okay for Magneto and Deadpool to go off on their killing sprees (one of them being genocidal). Not saying KT''s Rogue is overly judgemental towards Gambit, it's mainly other writers that have written her that way...but Gambit does have that insecurity about it in this series (and the mini before it). In other words, Rogue needs to get over this uncertainty and maybe the end of this issue solves a lot of things.

But I really did enjoy the Gambit parts in this issue, he was in his element. I like the rope-gun (whatever they're called), very "Batman".

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2019, 01:59:31 PM »
Well there's only 3 issues left then they're off to join a new team of sorts, whether it has an "X" in it or not, time will tell.

It hasn't been canceled yet, it may keep going