Author Topic: What would be the perfect utilization for Gambit in the MCU?  (Read 5844 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
What would be the perfect utilization for Gambit in the MCU?
« on: March 08, 2019, 10:22:56 AM »
Ok. The Gambit movie is dead (DEAD, purp!). It's been DOA for quite some time. I've been a proponent for the idea tht Simon has been leading the fans on just to keep his Dark Phoenix and New Mutants projects alive.

So I've been thinking... The X-Men intro into the mcu is inevitable. With that said, how you like Gambit introduced and then utilized from that point on? The mcu already has it's "heist" niche covered in Ant-Man. If Gambit is going to be who he is, does it conflict? Do they play the characters off one another? So they just ignore each other?

Now all this is keeping in mind we don't know how the concept of Mutants will be brought in, much less how the X-Men will be introduced.

Personally, I think he needs to be recruited into the X-Men in a sequel. The only other way in my opinion is to go the route we saw with XTAS where we are introduced to the X-Men through the eyes of a newcomer. Have them already in existence and Gambit is already there. My key is that he shouldn't be a founding member. It doesn't fit him. Someone like him should fall into a group like this, not part of their initial foundation.

What's your thoughts?
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
Re: What would be the perfect utilization for Gambit in the MCU?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 04:23:31 PM »
Yeah, of course it is dead.

As for MCU I want Gambit movie or Disney + series that will show his Thieves World with Guilds, traditions and mystery. Kinda in the same way as John Wick movie created world of Assassins with it own branches, hotels, money, rules, etc. It is what makes Gambit unique and must be shown.

Never liked AntMen movies. Probably the worst MCU movies. Totally for kids.

But I won't be surprised if Tatum will become Gambit in MCU. Maybe he will be able to sell his vision of Gambit as character to Feige.

Gambit may be with X-Men from start. Won't be surprised if MCU's X-Men will already have dead Jean and more fresh characters.

Offline Spoonz

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 06:39:04 AM »
I've thought about this for a while and, well...I'm crap at movie ideas.  But humour me. 

Honestly, I'd like him to be a bad guy to start.  So, mutant massacre? Marauders are the bad guys and Gambit's one of them but he's doing it because he owes Sinister and then after the fight, X-Men lose and get their butts kicked, but Gambit also got badly injured by Creed because he tried to stop the whole thing, just like in the comics.  But then you have Gambit left behind for dead along with all the wounded X-Men so they take him in to heal him/keep him prisoner but he ends up helping them to defeat the Marauders because he knows them.  Then you have Sinister as the lurking bad guy for a sequel. 

Anyway, that's very specific a wish, ain't it?  Obviously it'll never go down that way because I'm not related to Hollywood movies in any way  ;D

Otherwise I reckon, if Gambit did have a central role in Marvel movies, be it a solo or team book, I honestly think his vibe should be creepy voodoo swamp shenanigans.  Like, really go for that Cajun background, you know?  I reckon True Blood type stuff. 

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 01:34:38 PM »
I've thought about this for a while and, well...I'm crap at movie ideas.  But humour me. 

Honestly, I'd like him to be a bad guy to start.  So, mutant massacre? Marauders are the bad guys and Gambit's one of them but he's doing it because he owes Sinister and then after the fight, X-Men lose and get their butts kicked, but Gambit also got badly injured by Creed because he tried to stop the whole thing, just like in the comics.  But then you have Gambit left behind for dead along with all the wounded X-Men so they take him in to heal him/keep him prisoner but he ends up helping them to defeat the Marauders because he knows them.  Then you have Sinister as the lurking bad guy for a sequel. 

Anyway, that's very specific a wish, ain't it?  Obviously it'll never go down that way because I'm not related to Hollywood movies in any way  ;D

Otherwise I reckon, if Gambit did have a central role in Marvel movies, be it a solo or team book, I honestly think his vibe should be creepy voodoo swamp shenanigans.  Like, really go for that Cajun background, you know?  I reckon True Blood type stuff.
i like 80% nearly wrote the same thing, If Gambit is taken prisoner he should just escape from his cell and leave a note saying lol noobs, Gambit should be like the Loki of the X-men corner of the MCU, where you dont know if you can trust him or not, he's the thief with a heart of gold, Starts with the bad guys and then seeks redemption

Offline killphil

• Master Thief
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 01:21:45 AM »
I would just like him to be in the initial team when they eventually roll out the MCU X-Men movies. I would not want to see him get much focus. Mostly background but have a few cool moments when his specific skill set is needed. Kinda like the whole taking a spike in the leg only to use it to escape and free the team in X Tinction Agenda. Not saying that scene in particular, but just something in that vein. Have him and Rogue have their eyes on each other in the way they did in the early X-Men stories.  Flirtatious but never sappy or overdone.

Keep him mysterious, but without a whole lot of focus. What I think would be especially cool, would be after a couple X-Men movies, Gambit could show up in another MCU movie down the line for a "featured appearance". Like Hulk in Thor Ragnorok, or Spiderman in Captain America Civil War. Maybe in a movie where his skill set could come into play but his motives never fully trusted or known.
To me, that would capture the essence of what made him appealing when he initially debuted in the comics and people would want to see and know more about him.
Things I'd stay away from: Guilds, Mutant massacre, Beladonna, Marauders, New Son, X-traitor, Channing Tatum, or too much of his backstory revealed at all.

Offline RomeoSvengali

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 06:20:53 PM »
Like the 90 animated series, have Gambit already be apart of the team, where every character gets there moment to shine and it doesn't focus on only one character (I'm looking at you Wolverine!). Give hints of Gambit and Rogue having a thing for each other such as they fight together, they look at each other, a wink or two, a compliment here or there, she leans her head on his shoulder, subtlety can go a long way. His trust and loyalty to the team should be without question, I mean it was bad enough that was questioned or in-debate throughout the 90s and into the 2000s in the comics, the 90s animated series tried to do that when Bishop showed up, but it didn't work.

It wasn't a question here, but it when it comes to their costumes, especially for Gambit, no hat, no tight black leather, but maybe a mix between customized civilian and military clothing. I guess you could call this tactical Gambit when Marco Checchetto drew him, I like those pouches for him to store his cards and hostlers for his staff.
http://www.lediableblanc.com/Wallpaper/09.jpg

Any kind of background should of course be saved for a miniseries, not everything from the comics will be in a adaptation and the mutant massacre should be one of them since that was just done to ruin the character. Maybe his days with the Thieves Guild would be like in the films Thief (1981), Heat (1995) and The Score (2001), top professional thieves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEvomyYkIPY
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 06:13:01 PM by RomeoSvengali »
https://vimeo.com/49613968
-Romeo Svengali (Monican swordsman)

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 09:58:48 AM »

Personally, I would like Gambit to debut in an 'X-Men' film, working secretively for Xavier (or Magneto, Sinister or perhaps someone like Gyrich) as a double agent maybe? I want that unpredictable element from the 90's comics implemented in the films. The "traitor" (Bishop's accusation) plot was a huge part of his character, and one of the most iconic. Keep the audience guessing.

What concerns me is a large cast. I think the MCU should split the teams (Blue and Gold), that way there's room for the fan-favourites to breathe...
Gold: Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Wolverine, Iceman, Colossus and Kitty
Blue: Storm, Rogue, Nightcrawler, Gambit, Psylocke, Angel, Jubilee.

Then both Gold and Blue teams will eventually work together (just like Infinity War)

Back to Gambit, after his 'X-Men' debut, THEN we can get to his solo movies.

Offline Meliorist

• Guild Scholar
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 06:09:57 PM »
The mystery of early Gambit was a huge draw, as it is with many surprise favorite characters. It lets fans fill in the gaps.
I wouldn't mind if Remy gets a cameo in something like the Black Widow movie. Maybe just the tail end of a phone call where she says 'Thanks for the info, Gambit'
Then in the X-Men movie, we can get a bit of that traitor drama when the X-Men learn that someone is selling information to the Avengers. The audience has the obvious lead and the X-Men assume that a thief is the most likely person to put themselves before the dream. Gambit gets exonerated when its discovered to be Mystique/Morph or a student/prime sentinel that Stark helped design. I like the second option because it continues the 'road to hell is paved with good intentions' trend that Stark has going.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 06:10:57 PM »
But all this relies on how Marvel will introduce the idea of mutants into their continuity. There's a rumor that Mysterio from the upcoming Spiderman movie may be from a different reality. That would formally introduce the idea of a multiverse. It was hinted at in Doc Strange, but this would be huge. It'd allow a pre-existing history so backstories could be implied. Otherwise, they'd have to start from scratch and that would take a decades worth of movies (4 to 5 if there will only be ' X-Men' titled movies) to just get the ball rolling.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Meliorist

• Guild Scholar
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 06:19:32 PM »
That is true and would curtail the standard 'where were they when...' conversations. Just BAM! Alternate reality. It would come with it's own complications (of course), but it opens up to some novel solutions. Like the X-Men appearing could be a result of reversing Thanos' wish; they could be a group of X-Men that died in their reality or an 'if' that became real or a different take on the Exiles

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 07:22:52 PM »
Wild speculation time;

When the snap is undone it creates complications. Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Wasp, Ant-Man and newly introduced Spectrum form the Ultimates. Their adventures take them into the negative zone and they battle Annihilus. The battle results in tears reality that allows passage between MCU (Earth-1) and Earth-2 "villains" come through. A misunderstanding occurs between a group of heroes and the alternate reality aliens (X-Men) kicking off a series of hostile encounters before they discover that they are being manipulated by... I don't know... Doctor Doom....

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 02:25:48 AM »
I thought Marvel are making Eternals movie so they can add X-Men characters to MCU.

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 10:33:23 AM »
Heard rumors, though all of it is blantant speculation, that maybe they’ll use the ‘snap’ or the undoing of the snap, to trigger the mostly dormant ‘x-gene’ to get mutants. So maybe before the snap there were mutants but very, very few of them, so any mutant power stuff were strange isolated incidents that were random and unexplained (or explained as something else.)

The only x-characters that need to be ‘old’ and have history or Xavier wolverine and magneto. Xavier and wolverine, it would be easy to believe they were just laying low, living their lives, helping occasionally when they could but alone couldn’t do much. Like if wolverine’s in the army in Afghanistan when New York is attacked, he can’t get there to help in time. And all of their powers are nerfed at the time (which would explain magneto laying low, he can’t attack army bases by himself, he has to be more subtle.)

Gambit could still be street kid, ends up with the guilds (which would be more a gang/ crime syndicate) maybe he still has the black eyes but no powers, so his still kinda freaky/outsider but relies on his thief skills. After the snap, he gets his powers ( maybe that’s how he accidentally kills julien and ends up leaving New Orleans) So the snap triggers a bunch of mutants (exististing mutants get a boost of some kind). Gambit’s flexible enough that he could start out on the X-men or as a free agent or even the brotherhood and switch.  Sinister could also be a pre existing mutant, so he could recruit gambit too.

Either way, first movie should start a few months  or maybe year after the snap, so mutants have been popping up, the general public is freaking out over the wierd-ness, the avengers are trying to get a handle on the whole situation (but they don’t really know what’s happing and Xavier has started his secret school/sanutary.) The new mutants (;p) don’t have to be all kids/teenagers, it will settle down into that eventually but the initial snap would jump start adults as well.

Anyway that is my rambling, probably wrong speculation, lol.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 05:49:30 PM »
I thought Marvel are making Eternals movie so they can add X-Men characters to MCU.

I dunno, are they? What do the eternals have to do with mutants?

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 06:45:15 PM »

I dunno, are they? What do the eternals have to do with mutants?

Probably Eternals will mess up with Celestials and create X Gene.