Author Topic: Jonathan Hickman’s House of X and Powers of X  (Read 112203 times)

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
Re: Jonathan Hickman’s House of X and Powers of X
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2019, 10:55:11 PM »
Didn’t hate the sinister issue, but did think Hickman went more campy then Gillen and ...that wasn’t needed. The series is getting weirder, too.  It’s still interesting, but i’m not in the loving it camp either.

Offline Icefanatic

• Master Thief
    • A Better Place - A Fandom Community Forum
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2019, 08:54:46 AM »
I started off liking it a lot, but it's fading fast.  I like the mystery aspect and the big/epic scale of things, but it' s obviously not 'our' version of those characters(I have argued in other places that we have not been reading about the main-616 characters for a few years now). 

I find Xavier and Magneto creepy if not outright evil.  I thought the resurrection scene was something straight out of a cult.

I thought the Sinister issue made Sinister look like a clown/joke.

There is no one for me to really latch onto and like and root for.  It's a reality I'm just waiting to see end.  No interest in seeing the story continue into the ongoing series as announced. .

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2019, 11:53:04 AM »
its convoluted bs

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2019, 11:36:08 AM »
There's parts that I really like (the Krakoa concept mostly), but also parts that I have problems with. And if you dare criticise, even in the slightest, Hickman's fanatics will pounce on you (I've noticed this...and they're actually very annoying).
I'll wait until it's over until I fully analyse it, but things that annoy me in comics are alternate realities colliding, pointless deaths/resurrections and clones, and even though people are saying that they're "not clones" or "not alternate versions of characters"...it kind of reads that way. I'm also having trouble buying into a reformed Apocalypse, and the characters not acting like themselves.
Krakoa is the standout, I genuinely love what Hickman's done here. The art is at a high standard, and the stories are engaging...but now I'm hearing comments such as "This is the best X-Men story of all time!"... I mean, let's not get carried away here.

Offline Icefanatic

• Master Thief
    • A Better Place - A Fandom Community Forum
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2019, 04:08:56 PM »
There's parts that I really like (the Krakoa concept mostly), but also parts that I have problems with. And if you dare criticise, even in the slightest, Hickman's fanatics will pounce on you (I've noticed this...and they're actually very annoying).
I'll wait until it's over until I fully analyse it, but things that annoy me in comics are alternate realities colliding, pointless deaths/resurrections and clones, and even though people are saying that they're "not clones" or "not alternate versions of characters"...it kind of reads that way. I'm also having trouble buying into a reformed Apocalypse, and the characters not acting like themselves.
Krakoa is the standout, I genuinely love what Hickman's done here. The art is at a high standard, and the stories are engaging...but now I'm hearing comments such as "This is the best X-Men story of all time!"... I mean, let's not get carried away here.

I know I was saying around the start of the series that I was enjoying it more than I had most X-Men stories in quite awhile. It had new concepts, an actual direction, big epic-scale stuff... But it's missing the X-Men. For the people who like to argue about Magneto/Cyclops was right, like Xavier as creepy/evil, are obsessed with the possibility of Jean/Scott/Logan/Emma hookups or whether character X briefly appeared and appeared to have 'agency'(the stuff of CBR debates) great for them, but so far the story and characters have no heart, and heart is what the X-Men are all about. They are a family, not a personality cult.

The X-Line has been treading water for years, an occasional bright spot but mostly outright bad to just 'meh'. I'm remided of a discussion about Mad Men years ago, and people were arguing about when Don remarried was he going forward or backwards. I argued neither, that he was going sideways, and thought he was going forward because the view was changing.

The X-Books are going sideways with this, it might look like forward progress to some, but it's not.