Re: MMX 12
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2019, 10:31:48 AM »
It was a good ending. :)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2019, 10:47:52 AM »
It was a good ending. :)

Yes. Usually KT has problems with endings but this one is really great.

Offline X-fan73

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2019, 05:23:22 PM »
Good end to a good series. I know people wanted to see Gambit in main books while this was going on but the main titles continues to be meh(IMO), so I don’t care that much. Going to be interesting when the get picked up again post relaunch.

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2019, 05:40:10 PM »
I liked it, and I'm not usually a fan of Guild stories, but I liked seeing Tante Mattie after all these years and Candra, a lot of nods to the first Gambit mini. I'm glad Bella's wasn't all-villain which I was a little concerned about at first, she's an anti-hero. Now that they're set out to look for the X-Men, maybe they'll show up in Uncanny to join up with Scott and Logan? A rare Uncanny appearance for Gambit (or even Rogue)? That isn't wallpaper?

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2019, 08:07:42 PM »
The series had its ups and downs but it managed to improve along the way, and ended on a high note. I was somewhat afraid Gambit would step down as King but am relieved that this won’t change (although I’d love if they actually did something with it). Absolutely loved his speech about deserving to be the King, how he earned it. This last issue was the best of the series (says a biased Gambit fan). That’s the smart, cunning, badass Gambit I’d wanted from the start. I'll miss having a book to look forward to. Sad to see it end.   

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2019, 06:07:11 PM »
Build a bridge my good people...

The issue was solid. I agree KT typically stumbles on the end and I loved this issue, but I would have liked it more had it been towards the middle instead of the end. I think seeing them actually deal with the supposed death of the X-Men and perhaps had Cyclops and co. cameo in it to really embrace the idea of the a shared universe would have been good. Besides that, there's the condition of the rest of the world. They are currently in a place where they are being wiped out. I think seeing them come to terms with that and the people around them would have been a better way to call off the whole series. For instance, Gambit's current situation with the guilds could have allowed him to help the less fortunate mutants like Chamber and the Morlocks (before he died anyway).
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2019, 09:28:12 PM »
I loved this final issue. It was my favorite of the run. The series had a few ups and downs but was mostly up for me and ended on a high note. It's a shame it has to end right here just as Gambit returns to the form most of us love. Being smart, cunning, strong, and confident. I want this Gambit to continue. Love the two last issues being told from Gambit's perspective and I thought KT did an excellent job getting in Gambit's head. I really expected Gambit to step down as the king of thieves by the end of this but man, was I pleasantly surprised to see the exact opposite. Capped off by a terrific speech asserting his dominance. I too, hope they do more with this in the future. Tante Matte at the end was the icing on the cake. Hate it or love it but over the last year and a half, KT has brought these two as a couple back to respectability. I'm really curious what the future has in store.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2019, 02:03:28 AM »

After 17 issues, I got one really good issue of Gambit and 16 issues of largely forgettable Gambit.  This issue made me feel like it is not the case that KT doesn't get Gambit.  It is the case that she didn't care to explore much of anything related to him until the end.  In that regard reminded me of Mike Carey albeit with a better end to her run than his.

Some of the highlights were his diverse use of powers and the fact he actually had this planned out with Bella, Jean-Luc and Rogue in advance.  I was was wondering what they were going to do with Bella but see the trio work together was refreshing.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2019, 05:15:53 PM »

Lego's post in the appreciation thread got me thinking about whether this represented evolution for Gambit in terms of his he was both an X-men and thief and didn't need to prove himself to the Guild or Rogue and it reminded me of Asmus' ending so thought I would post my thoughts from that thread here as well re evolution.

It is weird, I sort of had an opposite reaction to this at felt eerily similar to how Asmus ended his Gambit run ie Gambit assuming the role as X-man, teacher and KoT while telling Rogue he was basically done trying to prove himself to her.  So rather than this being evolution, it is pretty much putting him back to where he was at the end of Asmus run as subsequent writers had seemingly ignored it.

With Gambit, a character I loved as a teenager but have struggled with as an adult, the overplayed "cool" factor has always been a problem. There is a cool badass somewhere inside of Gambit, but he wasn't in this series, and least of all in this final issue.

The end reveal of "Gambit" #17 should leave readers curious and excited about what's next, but the storytelling is so unclear, it's difficult to determine what's happened. Readers are left with the idea that Gambit is willing to play the fool that nobody expects much of for his role as both an X-Man and as a teacher at the Jean Grey School, so that he can be the leader of the Thieves Guild behind the scenes, but it all just left me cold. Both of those things seem unworthy of the character he has always had the potential to be. The door has been left open for Gambit's future to go in a myriad of directions, and that's nice enough, but he's less likable after this series than he was before -- not a ringing endorsement.[/I]

https://www.cbr.com/gambit-17/

What made KT's echoing of Asmus all the more weird is she was very critical of Asmus' run in particular it seems his assuming that dual role of X-man and KoT.  I know she has in the past remarked how in hindsight she felt she was overly harsh regarding Asmus' run and perhaps this is proof of that.

Having said that, it really was the best issue and Gambit of the series for me with my only lament that I wish it had come to fruition sooner.  This is the first time Gambit really felt like Gambit quite frankly since Asmus and I am grateful that at a minimum Gambit is back where he was at the end of Asmus' run and hopefully this time someone actually does something with it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 01:15:48 AM by DonPriceTag »
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Online Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2019, 09:43:23 AM »
I've got a lot I want to say but will wait til I've actually read it. I hope to get it today, if not tomorrow.
After reading comments here, and at CBR, in the review thread, appreciation threads and the like.

What I'm taking away from everyone's opinion, is after 16 issues (5 are the mini), there was finally an issue where Gambit shined with story and art. ONE. He was half the book but mostly or always in art.

Anyway, til later, certainly lots to think about with the above views of the last issue.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 10:07:15 AM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2019, 12:42:14 PM »

Having said that, it really was the best issue and Gambit of the series for me with my only lament that I wish it had come to fruition sooner.  This is the first time Gambit really felt like Gambit quite frankly since Asmus and I am grateful that at a minimum Gambit is back where he was at the end of Asmus' run and hopefully this time someone actually does something with it.

It depends on where he ends up in this Hickman era too, theories are going around that mutants will evacuate to another planet (where they originally were from?), which could mean he'll have to leave the Guilds if that's the case...and that nice apartment too. Anyway, I haven't looked deep into what Hickman has planned, so this might not be the case and maybe I'm misinterpreting these theories as well.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2019, 06:16:51 PM »

It depends on where he ends up in this Hickman era too, theories are going around that mutants will evacuate to another planet (where they originally were from?), which could mean he'll have to leave the Guilds if that's the case...and that nice apartment too. Anyway, I haven't looked deep into what Hickman has planned, so this might not be the case and maybe I'm misinterpreting these theories as well.

He hasn't revealed much other than he's looking at Giant-Sized X-Men, X-Men (91), Age of Apocalypse, and New X-Men as inspiration or at least, he's cited them as point of interest for his story.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2019, 02:10:55 PM »
I don’t even know what to think of Hickman. He seems to have rep of a good writer, but half the stuff I hear just sounds weird. :/