Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2020  (Read 95782 times)

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
Re: Gambit Watch 2020
« Reply #555 on: September 02, 2020, 05:17:06 PM »
And apparently we're all just gonna forget about the thousands and thousands of tweets he deleted about "tasty little boys" and whatever other disturbing sh* he said. Fantomex is basically them trying to combine Gambit and Deadpool and not doing a good job with either. Hate that character. Luckily he won't be doing an X-Men movie.

I honestly think there are a bunch of writers who don't really know how to write Gambit and aren't good at that type of character so because they're insecure they just say they "don't like" or even "hate" him so they don't have to be burdened with writing a character they can't handle. It's pretty pathetic.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 05:21:01 PM by wantutosigh »

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #556 on: September 02, 2020, 05:53:45 PM »
And apparently we're all just gonna forget about the thousands and thousands of tweets he deleted about "tasty little boys" and whatever other disturbing sh* he said. Fantomex is basically them trying to combine Gambit and Deadpool and not doing a good job with either. Hate that character. Luckily he won't be doing an X-Men movie.

I honestly think there are a bunch of writers who don't really know how to write Gambit and aren't good at that type of character so because they're insecure they just say they "don't like" or even "hate" him so they don't have to be burdened with writing a character they can't handle. It's pretty pathetic.

Total cowardice. A writer with talent would relish the opportunity to write a character like that, as it's a challenge and opportunity to grow.
\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #557 on: September 03, 2020, 08:28:05 PM »
The mental gymnastics involved to like Fantomex but hate on Gambit astounds me. It's like watching an olympic floor routine. It's truly amazing. Fantomex has no distinguishable character trait that wouldn't be mistaken for Gambit other than having a weird three-way in which 2/3 consisted of himself. The only interesting part about him is how he came to be. Otherwise, he's cut and paste wiki facts that could have easily been two or three other characters if he didn't exist.

What boggles my mind is how their similarities haven't been brought up in the books. How does that not get poked fun at? As for Gambit and the current talent - I get it. Everyone doesn't have the like him, but for those that do, why not give them the gig?
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline andrei

• Guild Member
« Reply #558 on: September 04, 2020, 08:00:10 AM »
You know, what really makes me sad is this word: writers. Every story is an attempt to answer a question.... And for me if you call yourself a writer, when you sit to do your work, you should be able to look for questions that bring people onboard with you. Not liking a character doesn't say much, you know... it feels like you do your work throught your ego. And if you have a big mind changing point of view, fine!, put your energy into a personal work, cuz bashing a character doesn't qualify you as writer at all. Quite the apposite... 

Offline Meliorist

• Guild Scholar
« Reply #559 on: September 04, 2020, 04:27:36 PM »
Especially in situations like comic books, where they are earning a paycheck by telling a story with established 'company product'. You'd think some degree of professionalism would keep them from actively damaging or harming the interests of the people that help pay their bills. Even if they hate Gambit, he is still a Marvel product (now Disney, I guess...?) and that should keep a professional from trying to tank his character.
Who knows how many people would have stuck with Excalibur if it was at least decent? Instead of... whatever it is

Offline andrei

• Guild Member
« Reply #560 on: September 04, 2020, 06:08:58 PM »
Bingo! And let's jus remember, there's a LOT of decisions, bad plots with Spiderman, Wolverine, Dardevil,... so on... Wanna do a good Gambit, make him a "Constantine" guy, more of a Gambler. 

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #561 on: September 06, 2020, 09:58:59 PM »
I say it again - he's wasted in Excalibur. His roots and overall characterization would function and make more sense in the other titles. As for his MCU debut - let's hope that the rumors of his getting solo series are true. We'll know before everyone else because all of a sudden Marvel Comics will remember he exists and oversaturate the landscape with him.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #562 on: September 16, 2020, 07:09:12 PM »
https://www.cbr.com/marvel-chris-claremont-anniversary-special/

Seems like Gambit will be featured. Not totally sure how I feel about this.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #563 on: September 17, 2020, 02:57:41 AM »

Cool! Ireally hope it has old school badass  best Claremont's Gambit!

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #564 on: September 17, 2020, 12:32:40 PM »

Cool! Ireally hope it has old school badass  best Claremont's Gambit!

I'm not sure either, Claremont is hit or miss but there are issues he's written with Gambit that I have enjoyed.

I don't like that cover art, Gambit doesn't look at that good, I hope the interior handled better. Gambit's frown is too long, imo.

I might buy this ... not sure yet. Might go the digital route. :)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 12:35:09 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #565 on: September 17, 2020, 12:40:33 PM »
I'm not sure either, Claremont is hit or miss but there are issues he's written with Gambit that I have enjoyed.

I don't like that cover art, Gambit doesn't look at that good, I hope the interior handled better. Gambit's frown is too long, imo.

I might buy this ... not sure yet. Might go the digital route. :)

Agreed. Claremont is hit or miss in modern times. He also seems to always want to change Gambit in some way. Listen Chris, all the fans that are still here 30 years after you've created this character, don't want him changed. We just want him written well. A smooth badass with impressive abilities.
Is that lil' Ro with Gambit in the artwork?

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #566 on: September 17, 2020, 04:27:35 PM »

Agreed. Claremont is hit or miss in modern times. He also seems to always want to change Gambit in some way. Listen Chris, all the fans that are still here 30 years after you've created this character, don't want him changed. We just want him written well. A smooth badass with impressive abilities.
Is that lil' Ro with Gambit in the artwork?

Agreed. And yes, that is lil' Ro, which means Claremont could working with his original stories where he created Gambit. That is kind of fun ideology wise.
Edit: yes, it is lil' Ro
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 04:43:30 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #567 on: September 18, 2020, 01:26:39 AM »
Has anyone else noticed Gambit is the only male in tbe image?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 01:28:41 AM by wantutosigh »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #568 on: September 19, 2020, 11:24:40 AM »
Has anyone else noticed Gambit is the only male in tbe image?
I had not noticed that until it was pointed out, interesting.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #569 on: September 20, 2020, 05:01:52 AM »
Probably they just needed Storm and was just near.
It is a one shot. Don't expect a lot but hope to see a few cool things for Remy in it.