Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2020  (Read 95874 times)

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
Re: Gambit Watch 2020
« Reply #225 on: March 19, 2020, 01:39:45 AM »
Read the issue, it was fine, much better than that awful Warwolves 2-parter. The team bonded and To's art is quite good, and some nice character moments added.
While Gambit was still a little grouchy in parts, he was tolerable. The test is next issue where he'll have to fight, where he's previous showing was woeful. While To draws nicely, he's doesn't draw action/fight sequences very well either I've noticed in the first arc.

Again, while To draws pretty figures and scenery, I actually don't like his Gambit much, I don't like the costume, too thin and prettyboyish...and he looks short in parts. Compared to Mann who made him pretty but also strong and formidable at the same time? If anyone gets what I mean? I have trouble taking To's Gambit seriously.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #226 on: March 19, 2020, 03:18:10 AM »
Nah, Excalibur is lame again. Liu`s Gambit from that Frozen AXM arc would be digusted by that Excalibur Gambit.[/size]If Tini wants to write so much about Braddocks and other stuff that are not her team then she must put that Braddocks and others on cover instead of her real team to try sell books.[/color]

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #227 on: March 19, 2020, 01:18:14 PM »
Read the issue, it was fine, much better than that awful Warwolves 2-parter. The team bonded and To's art is quite good, and some nice character moments added.
While Gambit was still a little grouchy in parts, he was tolerable. The test is next issue where he'll have to fight, where he's previous showing was woeful. While To draws nicely, he's doesn't draw action/fight sequences very well either I've noticed in the first arc.

Again, while To draws pretty figures and scenery, I actually don't like his Gambit much, I don't like the costume, too thin and prettyboyish...and he looks short in parts. Compared to Mann who made him pretty but also strong and formidable at the same time? If anyone gets what I mean? I have trouble taking To's Gambit seriously.
He's absolutely drawn effeminately. But then, that's a marvel mandate these days.
\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #228 on: March 19, 2020, 10:27:55 PM »
He's absolutely drawn effeminately. But then, that's a marvel mandate these days.
The writer identifies with a different letter of the alphabet. I can't be the only one who sees this. If I am, well, apologies. She doesn't get the male/female or if you feel better -  the female/male relationship.

It's not a big deal with what she identifies with but in her work, she should be able to handle all situations. IMO.
The writer tells the artist what to show - Gambit is shown the way he is because the writer can't relate to him.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 10:29:29 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #229 on: March 20, 2020, 03:55:19 AM »
At this point it is possible that Tini hates Gambit because he is a straight male on her team. She loves Rictor and Apoc.

You can don`t get a character. But smth bad happens to him almost every issue. His cards even just didn`t explode twice in one issue. I am sure she just hates him or trolling fans.

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #230 on: March 20, 2020, 08:36:55 AM »
Although I prefer pretty boy Gambit to ugly Gambit, I do agree To draws him too pretty. Gambit should be handsome, like Lee and Mann drew him.   

Howard doesn’t hate Gambit, she’s just completely, utterly, altogether incompetent. A lot of Marvel writers have shown various degrees of incompetence but Howard is unbelievably bad. She can’t tell a coherent story and none of the characters in Excalibur is written well (even Apocalypse sounds off).

I'll never get the idea that in order to enjoy a character you have to relate to this character. And if Howard, as a writer, can’t see world views other than her own, she’s inept and unqualified to be a writer.       

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #231 on: March 20, 2020, 09:12:41 AM »
But that's modern Marvel for you. Talent as a storyteller is not a concern...how you identify is. Marvel proudly hires extreme progressives based off their identities, not talents (or lack thereof).

I'm sure everyone's already seen, for example, the new New Warriors?

Offline Icefanatic

• Master Thief
    • A Better Place - A Fandom Community Forum
« Reply #232 on: March 20, 2020, 10:23:57 AM »
But that's modern Marvel for you. Talent as a storyteller is not a concern...how you identify is. Marvel proudly hires extreme progressives based off their identities, not talents (or lack thereof).

I'm sure everyone's already seen, for example, the new New Warriors?

When I first saw the teaser stuff, I thought it was an elaborate joke that someone had cooked up, but no, it's real. For anyone who hasn't seen it...

https://www.superherohype.com/comics/479295-marvels-relaunched-new-warriors-lineup-sparks-fan-backlash

Yesterday, Marvel unveiled the first look at their upcoming New Warriors series, which will also introduce a handful of new heroes, including psychic twins Snowflake and Safespace. In addition, there’s the “meme-obsessed” Screentime, whose brain gets connected to the internet after an accident involving “experimental internet gas;” B-Negative, a young vampire who was exposed to Michael Morbius’ blood as a child; and Trailblazer, who possesses a “magic backpack” that also functions as a dimensional gateway.

So far, the response to these heroes has been…less than enthusiastic, particularly when it comes to Snowflake and Safespace. Obviously, those words carry some weight. Those words have become go-to pejoratives used by right-wingers to attack anyone they perceive as overly sensitive. It also doesn’t help that the creators chose to give the “Snowflake”name to a character who identifies as non-binary. Kibblesmith himself has acknowledged the words’ connotations and also insists that the characters wear those names “like badges of honor.” Unfortunately, his explanation isn’t going over well on social media.

You can't make this s*** up.  :idiot2:

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #233 on: March 20, 2020, 11:51:20 AM »
Oh for pity's sake

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #234 on: March 20, 2020, 11:55:18 AM »
It's madness, and it's being lambasted by EVERYONE. I mean Marvel's been pushing WOKE stuff for years but this was SO bad it was universally assumed to be parody or satire, and then, ROASTED when everyone realized it was real.

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #235 on: March 20, 2020, 12:00:12 PM »
It's madness, and it's being lambasted by EVERYONE. I mean Marvel's been pushing WOKE stuff for years but this was SO bad it was universally assumed to be parody or satire, and then, ROASTED when everyone realized it was real.

I enjoy the irony.

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #236 on: March 20, 2020, 12:22:35 PM »
Same. God, I'd love to write or illustrate this title for comedic reasons, but I have a feeling that the lack of self awareness of those trying genuinely will be funnier than anything I could ever try and come up with.

Offline malachi

• Guild Royalty
« Reply #237 on: March 20, 2020, 01:00:39 PM »
When I first saw the teaser stuff, I thought it was an elaborate joke that someone had cooked up, but no, it's real. For anyone who hasn't seen it...

https://www.superherohype.com/comics/479295-marvels-relaunched-new-warriors-lineup-sparks-fan-backlash

You can't make this s*** up.  :idiot2:

It reminds me of She-ra on Netflix. The main male character there (Bow)is drawn in the same androgynous way. Speculation if he is trans is widespread.

In general that show is well done but not for me. I'm glad it exists.

I will look at this the same way. For some people it might be extremly important and therefore I'm glad for thier sake. The problem with comics being how crowded it is. I have long given up on that. In the best of worlds this would just be a bonus that enrichens the stories. In reality it will certainly impact some other title. Like how Captain Marvel and Thor effectivly seems to block other energy manipulators from Avengers.

Offline Icefanatic

• Master Thief
    • A Better Place - A Fandom Community Forum
« Reply #238 on: March 20, 2020, 01:59:15 PM »
It reminds me of She-ra on Netflix. The main male character there (Bow)is drawn in the same androgynous way. Speculation if he is trans is widespread.

In general that show is well done but not for me. I'm glad it exists.

I will look at this the same way. For some people it might be extremly important and therefore I'm glad for thier sake. The problem with comics being how crowded it is. I have long given up on that. In the best of worlds this would just be a bonus that enrichens the stories. In reality it will certainly impact some other title. Like how Captain Marvel and Thor effectivly seems to block other energy manipulators from Avengers.

My gripe is the more 'woke' stuff gets the more it feels like parody instead of something real. I don't buy into it. It's not the diversity and representation that is the problem, it's the farcical quality of it all. Combine that with bad writing in general and I'm increasingly finding characters, teams, franchises... even entire fictional universes that seem bogus to me. I read around characters, around books. Eventually it becomes too much and I just check out entirely. I've been struggling with dropping Marvel off-and-on the past few years, and I'm a lifelong fan. There's always a title or two that seems to buck the tide that keeps me hanging on by a thread... But most days half the characters I use to know and love now feel more like strangers I have little to no interest in.

Offline malachi

• Guild Royalty
« Reply #239 on: March 20, 2020, 03:19:25 PM »
My gripe is the more 'woke' stuff gets the more it feels like parody instead of something real. I don't buy into it. It's not the diversity and representation that is the problem, it's the farcical quality of it all. Combine that with bad writing in general and I'm increasingly finding characters, teams, franchises... even entire fictional universes that seem bogus to me. I read around characters, around books. Eventually it becomes too much and I just check out entirely. I've been struggling with dropping Marvel off-and-on the past few years, and I'm a lifelong fan. There's always a title or two that seems to buck the tide that keeps me hanging on by a thread... But most days half the characters I use to know and love now feel more like strangers I have little to no interest in.

I'm in the same spot as you. The only comic I follow is Excalibur and that is more to witness how bad it can get. I download it btw.

I'm just astonished of how they take something so easy and make it look hard. Fans today seems so disfranchised that even what used to pass as mediocre is now  lauded as masterpieces. None of the X-men characters are that hard to write to a mediocre level. Every character comes with a short list of things the fans want from them to be satisfied. To not even attempt to pull that off is bizarre for me. It's just common sense.

On subjects like Snowflake and Safespace I know so very little. I'm just thinking of how beloved She-ra is and how I probably can't fully understand the appeal of it. So I'm just happy if it makes people happy. If it does that is.