Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2020  (Read 95822 times)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
Re: Gambit Watch 2020
« Reply #420 on: June 27, 2020, 06:00:40 AM »
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 08:31:00 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #421 on: June 27, 2020, 11:35:16 AM »
Thanks for posting that purp. That was actually pretty awesome. Guy is a true fan. I loved the portrayal of Gambit's combat abilities. Almost perfect. Even though it must be a low production value, it looks great. I would watch a series done like this lol. Though I don't love this guys look for Gambit, I appreciate his love for the character.

Offline Varia

• Journeyman
« Reply #422 on: June 27, 2020, 02:47:38 PM »
This is great! Thanks for posting, purplevit!

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #423 on: June 28, 2020, 01:08:25 PM »
This is a post to all the people who are members of this site and read through these forums... You all need to click on the link purplevit posted and watch this high quality fan film Nick Bateman has made. While it's obviously a very low budget and a bit hammy, it really has the right spirit. There are little things done well and is clearly made by a true fan. There is a lot to break down in this short film.

I ask fellow guild members to talk about their opinions of it. What they like and maybe what they didn't like. This is like a little glimpse into what an mcu Gambit movie or show could eventually look something like. Considering it's production and care put into it, this video could wind up being very popular and actually make some waves and could go a long way to show how much potential there is for Gambit in the mcu. I mean think about it, this is now officially the best live action version of Gambit.

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #424 on: June 28, 2020, 02:42:40 PM »
Everyone just check this awesome stuff!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NegUHlzn_qs&feature=youtu.be

https://youtu.be/NegUHlzn_qs

That is awesome. Love it. It got Gambit’s personality right and he looks cool. I overlook the cheesy parts because it isn’t a big budget movie, it's made by fans and the passion comes through. It’s great considering its limitations. Just wish there was more action. Bateman’s bo skills are sick. Although I don’t think he has the perfect look for Gambit, he’s got the moves and personality down. And he has also improved a lot since that last short movie (no more weird pauses). His dynamic with Rogue was great too. My only complaint is how Magik was out of character but her look was cool. Also, what’s up with Eric Roberts being part of every low budget production out there? LOL

Offline Meliorist

• Guild Scholar
« Reply #425 on: June 28, 2020, 08:36:10 PM »
So, I get to be the first dissenter here? Cool >.>
Over all it was a mix of interesting and sigh inducing. It did start off with one of my pet peeves for Master Thief Gambit; blowing up the building. I get that it was shown for 'rule of cool' and maybe to also demonstrate the power available to Remy... but if that were the case, I would have liked a little bit of his energy signature shown. Though this part might not have irritated me so much if not for the Gambit and Rictor mission in Excalibur.

Blowing up the building made me skeptical from the start because Gambit is (will be...? Timeline dependent...?) a Master Thief and didn't need to turn a, seemingly, successful job into a smash and grab. Though, if Remy gets introduced to us as a young adult, freshly banished from New Orleans, earning his Master rank could serve as an emotional climax to one of the seasons. Which could be cool frame work to use if Remy starts off in a tv show, "Use the first three seasons to show Gambit going from Journeyman Thief to Master Thief" (Sorry, side tracked)

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #426 on: June 28, 2020, 10:21:44 PM »
They just needed a simple introduction of Gambit with some flare so it's fine. I'm sure we all want to see Gambit with his black and red eyes but I did enjoy how they used his eyes glowing to represent how his superhuman reactions/reflexes. Like for instance right in the beginning he's driving the car and sees something in front of him and his eyes glow and they follow the kinetic energy through his body to his foot when he jams on the breaks(even though they screwed up and showed him hit the gas pedal ;D ) to represent how his reaction time works. I really like that stuff and thought it was clever.

Offline Meliorist

• Guild Scholar
« Reply #427 on: June 29, 2020, 02:24:32 AM »
And then the cheeky nod to Channing Tatum with the People's Magazine.Yeah, the team behind it did some major work

Offline Varia

• Journeyman
« Reply #428 on: June 29, 2020, 03:09:53 PM »
Quote from: wantutosigh link=topic=5271.  msg78041#msg78041 date=1593364105
I ask fellow guild members to talk about their opinions of it.   What they like and maybe what they didn't like.   This is like a little glimpse into what an mcu Gambit movie or show could eventually look something like.   Considering it's production and care put into it, this video could wind up being very popular and actually make some waves and could go a long way to show how much potential there is for Gambit in the mcu.   I mean think about it, this is now officially the best live action version of Gambit. 

With the budget they had, they didn't NEED to do or show a lot of the things they did, but they did anyway and it was richer because of it.   There were some awkward moments, and at times I had difficulty making out some of the dialogue, but, all in all, this was encouraging and a lot of fun!

Of course, I also loved the inclusion of Rogue.   It was a breath of fresh air to see her acting in character again.   It's been a while   ::)  . 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 03:12:11 PM by Varia »

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #429 on: June 30, 2020, 10:48:22 AM »
There are people in the comments of this video saying how they think Nick Bateman should officially play Gambit in the mcu now. Listen, I respect him for being such a big fan and for bringing the best piece of live action Gambit to us all but, I definitely don't want him playing Gambit in a high production high quality mcu movie or show. I don't think he has a great look for the character and he really is not much of an actor. No knock to him, we would just need a high quality actor.

I wouldn't mind Eric Roberts playing a bad guy for him in the mcu. He is just so natural at this point playing a sleazy villain.

The woman who played Rogue was good but really not sure how good of an actress she is overall either. She was better in this tiny role than Anna Paquin has ever been as Rogue. :coolsmiley:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 10:58:16 AM by wantutosigh »

Offline Varia

• Journeyman
« Reply #430 on: June 30, 2020, 03:24:31 PM »
I think without the time or the budget it's difficult to really gage someone's true acting potential.   As to looks, that can be easily changed or altered to better fit the character depending on what angle they're going for and how much they're willing to put in.   Physically, Nick Bateman is attractive and checks a lot of the boxes for Gambit.   All in all, I wouldn't completely dismiss him.   You can tell he put a lot into the role and, for the most part, I thought he did really good job of conveying Gambit's devil-may-care attitude.  There were times where I thought it felt a bit forced, but perhaps with getting used to the character's attitude and vernacular his acting style might relax further into the role and sound a bit more comfortable. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 03:27:20 PM by Varia »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #431 on: June 30, 2020, 03:46:10 PM »
Not bad. I mean it was the best Gambit fan-project Ive ever seen. A couple perversions of Magic's powers, and it was more gore-y and vulgar than it will ever actually be. But I enjoyed it. Bateman sold the part nicely and I really liked the actress that played Rogue - even if it was more of a Carey-era version. Neither really hammed it up too much - but after reading the 2015 script, I'm kind of spoiled lol. Overall, I really liked it. That was an interesting way of using Gambit's powers. Increasing the kinetic charge of the brakes, thus forcing them to apply more friction to the rotors.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #432 on: June 30, 2020, 04:20:34 PM »
https://screenrant.com/gambit-movie-rogue-magik-fan-made-video/

Media outlets are starting to pick up on this and it's been positive feedback so far.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 10:22:13 AM by DonPriceTag »

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #433 on: June 30, 2020, 04:26:13 PM »
Don't know why that post has shrunken down so small. :(

Offline hairlesscat

• Master Thief
« Reply #434 on: July 01, 2020, 06:58:55 AM »
I thoroughly enjoyed it. I love how cunning and agile he is. I thought the way he freed Rogue was genius. And his interactions with her are fun. Rogue here is also 1000x better than Anna Paquin's Rogue. I do agree that it was more gory than any Gambit movie or TV show ever needs to be.

Overall, I really don't have any serious complaints except this one: In 2020, can we please finally do away with the tired trope of "black people always die first/are expendable"? It's quite racist and the film industry in general needs to stop doing it.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 07:00:32 AM by hairlesscat »