Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2020  (Read 95837 times)

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
Re: Gambit Watch 2020
« Reply #480 on: July 30, 2020, 09:19:05 AM »
So then, should we consider the possibility they WANT Gambit to fail?

If so, reasons?

1.) Fanboys of pre-existing characters (*cough*Wolverine fangirls *cough*) that resented Gambit's popularity? (this was clearly the case in the early 2000's, and the writer of Ultimate X-Men even outright stated as much)

2.) He's a problematic, cis-gendered heterosexual, handsome white male? (not exactly en vogue at modern Marvel)

3.) He's too tied to (the more popular among writers) Rogue, and constricts her usage.

4.) He's relegated to a mid-carder who still has hype to get new characters over. (All due respect to Liu, but, his inclusion in X-23 is an example).
\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #481 on: July 30, 2020, 09:45:13 AM »
I doubt that they want him to fail. Probably just don`t care and are not interested to push.

They know that he has fans that want to read him. So they will use him in Excalibur and other books to support main characters that they want to push.
So Gambit can be called a ladder now. Ladder Gambit can show how badass are other characters cause they will save poor Remy from falling into cave with catching every cliff on his way or from lame Warvolfes because he is too stupid and his charged cards can`t do any damage and now can`t even explode for some reason.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 09:48:19 AM by purplevit »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #482 on: July 30, 2020, 11:01:14 AM »

Definitely! Variants are the easiest way to raise sales.
Variants would help but Marvel's model for incentive programs at retailers is flawed. And the variants general benefit a different book and not the one intended.

I know this via my LCS owner who tells me what he has to order for a variant and which books and based on the order requirement, he has to up the price of the variant to cover the amount of books that will sit on the shelf for too long.
Variants is a nice idea but in the past, none of them were to boost Gambit's sales, it was usually some other X-book.

Offline Varia

• Journeyman
« Reply #483 on: July 30, 2020, 02:22:19 PM »
So Gambit can be called a ladder now. Ladder Gambit can show how badass are other characters cause they will save poor Remy from falling into cave with catching every cliff on his way or from lame Warvolfes because he is too stupid and his charged cards can`t do any damage and now can`t even explode for some reason.

Sooo, he's basically become a dumb@ss-in-distress?

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #484 on: July 31, 2020, 05:41:15 AM »

Sooo, he's basically become a dumb@ss-in-distress?

Unfortunatelly yes.

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #485 on: July 31, 2020, 10:10:29 AM »
Regulated to jobber. Effing sad.

Offline hairlesscat

• Master Thief
« Reply #486 on: July 31, 2020, 12:02:09 PM »
I honestly haven't cared much what they did to comic Gambit since his last solo ended. *shrugs* Gambit is going to be a big deal in the MCU (I strongly suspect) and that will force them to start writing good stories about him again. Whether they want to or not. But until then? Nah, count me out.

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #487 on: August 01, 2020, 12:30:28 AM »
https://comicbook.com/movies/news/x-men-original-movie-gambit-beast-danger-room-nightcrawler/

So now we know Gambit was supposed to be in the first X-Men movie. Which makes sense. I'm sure we can thank the scumbag Brian Singer for the
lack of Gambit in the movies.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 12:33:44 AM by wantutosigh »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #488 on: August 01, 2020, 02:29:37 AM »
https://comicbook.com/movies/news/x-men-original-movie-gambit-beast-danger-room-nightcrawler/

So now we know Gambit was supposed to be in the first X-Men movie. Which makes sense. I'm sure we can thank the scumbag Brian Singer for the
lack of Gambit in the movies.

What surprises me more is how many good actors were casted as Gambit for fox era and we only get only lame cameo.

Sawyer from lost would be a great Gambit.

Offline RomeoSvengali

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #489 on: August 01, 2020, 04:01:41 AM »
Didn't Singer say that he didn't include Gambit in the film because he would be too similar to Wolverine? Which is just bulls**t, anyone who's read the comic or even watched the cartoon (it's also said that Singer just watched the animated series and didn't read the comic) could perfectly see that they have completely different personalities. If true, it seems more like Singer didn't want Gambit taking the spotlight away from Wolverine.
https://vimeo.com/49613968
-Romeo Svengali (Monican swordsman)

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #490 on: August 01, 2020, 03:02:38 PM »
I honestly haven't cared much what they did to comic Gambit since his last solo ended. *shrugs* Gambit is going to be a big deal in the MCU (I strongly suspect) and that will force them to start writing good stories about him again. Whether they want to or not. But until then? Nah, count me out.

Agreed. I just hope that the changes they’ll make in order to adapt Gambit don’t make him unrecognizable to us. Since the movies are now the gateway to many future fans, changes will rub off on the comics. 

So now we know Gambit was supposed to be in the first X-Men movie. Which makes sense. I'm sure we can thank the scumbag Brian Singer for the lack of Gambit in the movies.

Singer’s excuses for not including Gambit were always pathetic and unconvincing. One could tell he had no interest in the character.

Sawyer from lost would be a great Gambit.

I was never sold on Holloway being the perfect choice for Gambit. Although I think he had the face and the charm to play Gambit, he was also too bulky and too old, already mid 30s when Lost first aired, which was years after the first X-Men movie. Also Sawyer and Gambit were so alike that it might’ve translated as Sawyer with superpowers.

Didn't Singer say that he didn't include Gambit in the film because he would be too similar to Wolverine? Which is just bulls**t, anyone who's read the comic or even watched the cartoon (it's also said that Singer just watched the animated series and didn't read the comic) could perfectly see that they have completely different personalities. If true, it seems more like Singer didn't want Gambit taking the spotlight away from Wolverine.

When you turn Wolverine into a tall, handsome, flirtatious (towards Jean), you start to see a resemblance.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 03:05:58 PM by andresa »

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #491 on: August 03, 2020, 10:12:28 AM »

Other than being a popular bad ass, they're very different. But, you're right...I think Gambit is often sabotaged because he does syphon some of Wolverine's "cool". And lets face it, the first 3 X-Men movies were "Wolverine and supporting cast". Cyclops had, what, 20 minutes in X2? He was killed off early X3. Halley Berry in her prime (damn!) barely having anything to do. Creepy boy Singer just wanted to wank off to Jackman's wolverine.

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #492 on: August 03, 2020, 12:16:45 PM »
Yeah, they were never very alike, but singer was clearly focused on wolverine. Which is ironic, considering,  after the marvel movies blew up, singer was doing and interview and was asked (politely ;) ) why the X-men movies didn’t do as well as marvel’s. And singer said something like, of course marvel does better, they have iron man! It’s like really? You had wolverine, who was ten times more popular than iron and all the popular characters, like gambit, rogue, Storm, you completely squandered. *smdh*
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 05:27:28 PM by anya »

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #493 on: August 03, 2020, 12:57:01 PM »

Other than being a popular bad ass, they're very different. But, you're right...I think Gambit is often sabotaged because he does syphon some of Wolverine's "cool". And lets face it, the first 3 X-Men movies were "Wolverine and supporting cast". Cyclops had, what, 20 minutes in X2? He was killed off early X3. Halley Berry in her prime (damn!) barely having anything to do. Creepy boy Singer just wanted to wank off to Jackman's wolverine.

20 minutes? More like 20 seconds. He disappeared for about an hour after he got smacked by Lady Deathstrike. A lot of people liked X2, I thought it was overrated (it's NOT the X-Men), the 7.4 score on IMDB is accurate, it's no 8/10 film or higher. It was a Wolverine movie with a bunch of random X-Men with very little to do. Jean was probably the second most prominent character, and she was an object of desire for Logan more than anything. Oh and Magneto was the conflicted antagonist (which dragged on for 7 movies btw...). X2 was solid, but by that stage I already had Wolverine-fatigue, so I wasn't feeling it like a lot of people were at the time. At one point I even pretended to love the movie because I felt like the odd man out for being underwhelmed by it.

Gambit would've been a great addition for those films, you look the MCU Avengers and there's a LOT of similar personalities that banter and play off each other very well, and the audience loved it. Not to mention a BALANCE of screen time.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #494 on: August 03, 2020, 07:08:12 PM »
Amaya bros show off their CGC Gambit collection.

https://youtu.be/jP3lx6jKpMI
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony