Author Topic: Straight Speculatin': What Could a Gambit Solo Look Like Today?  (Read 9203 times)

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
Re: Straight Speculatin': What Could a Gambit Solo Look Like Today?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2020, 09:33:27 AM »
A bit late to the game but it's been a bit hectic with Covid.  In any event here would be my ideas.

My sense of the real Gambit I grew up with is that he would not agree with what's happening on Krakoa.  I think he would view himself as a mutant and a human and oppose the more militant and nationalistic approach that seems to be going on with Krakoa.  I think he would use the ITG and the Assassin's Guild to launch a secret rebellion against the Krakoa leadership.  On the surface he would offer the ITG services to Krakoa but then use the AG as a means to foil their plans feigning that he and Belladonna are in conflict.

Eventually though the X-men find out and Gambit finds himself in open conflict with Krakoa.  Rogue would not have known about this and thus will feel betrayed as she believes in Krakoa more than Gambit and so Gambit and Rogue will find themselves on opposite sides of the conflict and will have a very public blow up where they fight to a stalemate.  Gambit then finds himself in an an uneasy alliance with Mystique and in open conflict with Krakoa.

So I am picturing sort of a GoTs style conflict with all the attendant politics where you have the Krakoa Kingdom, the various human governments, Mystique's faction, and Gambit as the Bandit King so to speak.  All vying for power and their own vision of the world.

The final arc of all this will reveal that Rogue knew and agreed with Gambit's opposition the whole time and they had the public fight as a means for Rogue to gain credibility with Krakoa nation so she could serve as a double agent.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2020, 02:48:19 PM »
I like that, though it would require Hickman to send too much time on ‘street level’ stuff, so couldn’t happen...

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2020, 05:29:52 PM »
A bit late to the game but it's been a bit hectic with Covid.  In any event here would be my ideas.

My sense of the real Gambit I grew up with is that he would not agree with what's happening on Krakoa.  I think he would view himself as a mutant and a human and oppose the more militant and nationalistic approach that seems to be going on with Krakoa.  I think he would use the ITG and the Assassin's Guild to launch a secret rebellion against the Krakoa leadership.  On the surface he would offer the ITG services to Krakoa but then use the AG as a means to foil their plans feigning that he and Belladonna are in conflict.

Eventually though the X-men find out and Gambit finds himself in open conflict with Krakoa.  Rogue would not have known about this and thus will feel betrayed as she believes in Krakoa more than Gambit and so Gambit and Rogue will find themselves on opposite sides of the conflict and will have a very public blow up where they fight to a stalemate.  Gambit then finds himself in an an uneasy alliance with Mystique and in open conflict with Krakoa.

So I am picturing sort of a GoTs style conflict with all the attendant politics where you have the Krakoa Kingdom, the various human governments, Mystique's faction, and Gambit as the Bandit King so to speak.  All vying for power and their own vision of the world.

The final arc of all this will reveal that Rogue knew and agreed with Gambit's opposition the whole time and they had the public fight as a means for Rogue to gain credibility with Krakoa nation so she could serve as a double agent.

Would love that. Perfect for current status quo and it feels very organic.
It seems most Gambit fans are ready for Gambit to become rebel against Krakoa.

Offline bigbarda

• Survivor
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2020, 09:40:08 AM »
I like that, though it would require Hickman to send too much time on ‘street level’ stuff, so couldn’t happen...

You've just reminded me how much I miss street-level X-men stories.

That said, I do think Gambit would be uncomfortable with how cut-off Krakoa is from the non-mutant world but he's not instinctively radical enough to actively stand against it, rather than passively (? not the really the right word) ignoring the core Krakoan dictats and doing what he wants to (stealing stuff etc). If someone else (Mystique) were to rebel against the Quiet Council and the general concept of Krakoa, he'd probably join them.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2020, 01:36:05 PM »
Yeah that is why I said secret rebellion.  So basically violating the rules on the sly and eventually he would be found out.

So working more as neutral party that is not opposed to going against Krakoa if he feels it is the right thing to do.

Perhaps rebellion is too strong a word as the initial aim is not to overthrow Krakoa but to simple refuse to give in to everything Krakoa says.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2020, 08:54:32 AM »

Dope twist. It's a reveal I could see happening on the last page of a book with the necessary "to be continued" or something at the bottom of the page. That'd be a great little story twist. Reminds me of his "fight" with Angel.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 08:59:41 AM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2020, 11:09:31 AM »
While I think a solo is far-fetched - there are new X-Men books on the horizon. I don't think a bunch but at least 2 more atop of SWORD is supposedly.

What's been hinted at outright;
Legion with Si Spurrier as suggested by him on Twitter
X-Corp as stated by Hickman himself
Children of the Atom

There's also a rumor of Scott and Jean getting their own team as Jean left the Council and X-Force and I'm not sure if Cyclops is still a Captain - but he probably is. We all know that Gambit is acquainted with both X-Men and if they are making a team - as long as Tini isn't pulling some kind of dibs on him - Gambit could be on a short list. I just hope Rosenberg isn't writing.

So there are at least two chances for Gambit to make an exit from Excalibur. Though I'm sure the reason for him and Rogue being there is squarely about star power. Take them out and... Well I don't know any fans of either character thats actually enjoying the book. So, their use there is what it is. I'm still of the mindset that they don't have to be in the same book just because they are married. That's a dumb reason.

X-Corp might be an option as the group as typically been about international dealings of the X-Men family. It's being suggested that it'll include Angel and M - addressing their dual personality issues. I think that'd be interesting for Gambit as well. He does have his X-Men persona and then Underworld Crime Syndicate life. Even from the standpoint of Rogue it's a subject that should be addressed. Rogue gives him a wide birth and has even shown a willingness to participate - but I'd imagine to a point.

If Spurrier is indeed getting Legion back, then that flash of Shadow King is probably going to be his territory. Gambits had no dealings with Legion - but does have some history with Shadow King. This is a long shot. I doubt this is an option.

Let's not speak Children of the Atom into existence more than it already is. If it's not an elseworld story about the Chimera, then I don't want any part of it.

Your thoughts on possible exits for Gambit...
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline cajunpirate

• Master Thief
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2020, 11:32:17 AM »
Some event leaves Rogue without her memories. Gambit sees how happy she is, and decides to let her be, and leave Kraoka. Psylocke (Kwannon) decides to join him.

Gambit forms a team, much likes Heroes for Hire, but called Thieves for Hire. Juggernaut, Black Cat and Ant-Man join. No place is off limits...Doom's castle, S.H.I.E.L.D, Kraoka, the Collector's den...

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2020, 12:20:09 PM »
Since we're just making things up. Yay!!!
I'd want a black ops type team lead by Gambit.

I like thieves for hire idea cajunpirate.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2020, 03:50:36 PM »
X-Corps probably will be about Hickman's favorites like M, Magic and Sunspot. Probably Angel will be there too.

Spurrier will use Fanto instead of Gambit if he will need a thief for a team.

I don't want Children of Atom and it will be only a mini. Ayala told that Gambit is in her top 3 but I don't trust her writing. She is a fine writer but males in her book usually are not shining a lot.

We will get nothing new for Gambit till Excalibur is alive and Howards is writing him.

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2020, 01:55:12 PM »
I’m just so uninterested in the X-Men current state. With Hickman’s era lasting ten more years or so, I have absolutely so hope that Gambit’s situation will change any time soon (unless he debuts in the MCU before long. Before long meaning 3-4 years from now). Argh, I’m so tired of hoping against hope that things will change. Writers come, writers go, and nothing changes.  

Spurrier will use Fanto instead of Gambit if he will need a thief for a team.

Why use an outdated character like Gambit when you have the amazing Fantomex at your disposal? 

Ayala told that Gambit is in her top 3 but I don't trust her writing.

Exactly.