Author Topic: Ruby Rose leaves Batwoman  (Read 2963 times)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
Ruby Rose leaves Batwoman
« on: May 19, 2020, 08:00:09 PM »
The CW TV show "Batwoman" main actress Ruby Rose leaves the title role.

https://www.etonline.com/ruby-rose-quits-batwoman-after-one-season-in-shocking-exit-146871

CBR, TVGuide and other sources have stories too.

https://www.newsarama.com/50275-batwoman-will-be-recast-for-season-2-as-ruby-rose-exits.html

The plan is to recast the role.  I have watched a few episodes and it wasn't all that good. CW and its angstville is annoying.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 08:06:04 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
Re: Ruby Rose leaves Batwoman
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 10:15:10 AM »
I haven’t been watching it either because of CW angst-iness. But that is unexpected

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 12:23:31 PM »
It was a rocky road for the actress anyway. She had to quit social media when she was first cast due to harassment from fans.

The show runners/writers spent too much time on her sexuality and not enough on what the Bat fam does which is vigilante crime solving. IMO.

Offline Icefanatic

• Master Thief
    • A Better Place - A Fandom Community Forum
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 01:22:32 AM »
I'm at least a season behind on all the CW shows so I hadn't caught it yet. I wasn't really planning on watching it except for the Crisis tie-in episode.

I know before it aired the show-runner was saying in interviews that "if you are a straight-white-male, this isn't a show for you." which needlessly alienated the largest demographic for consuming superhero entertainment. Then you had a lot of women who identify as straight saying they would 'go gay for Ruby Rose', which offended a lot of gay activists that waged war on women saying that on social media, even though Rose herself commented...

that, while she thought it was brilliant and was not expecting it, some of her friends found the public affection toward her inappropriate: "They personally are offended by it, [and are] saying like, 'You can't just choose to be gay. You should say something about all these women that are saying [they're] turning gay.'" Rose stated that she is more neutral on the topic, and believes people are being complimentary when making such comments rather than trying to be derogatory or diminish the coming out process. She compared today's society to how society was in the past, saying that people would probably watch someone onscreen that they were attracted to, but not be able to joke about it "because that would be so frowned upon." She said that people should not nitpick who can or cannot identify as genderqueer, gender-neutral, bisexual or trans, or tell them how to live their lives, adding that people should let others say what they want to about their sexuality, and that this is a message the LGBT community should be supporting.

Rose also had gay activists attacking her, as she explained...

in Entertainment Weekly's 2019 LGBTQ special issue, Rose again discussed her gender identity, and the backlash to her casting as the title character of the television series Batwoman She stated that the opportunity to audition for Orange Is the New Black came about because the show wanted to have a gender-neutral character, but that she has also received criticism because of her genderfluid identity, adding, "When I got cast as a lesbian in Batwoman, I didn't know that being a gender-fluid woman meant that I couldn't be a lesbian because I'm not a woman — not considered lesbian enough." She said that while her initial response was dismissive, she later considered if there was a way to remedy the situation so that others would not be offended by her identity, stating, "That's when I sort of said, 'I'm a woman that identifies as a woman. I'm not trans. But if being gender-fluid means that I can't identify as a woman at any point, then I guess I can't be that." She pondered making up a term that does not offend people and would indicate that she is "fluid in [her] gender, but also a lesbian."

I think she just got tired of all the s***, especially with the activist left either attacking her, attacking fans of hers, or trying to get her to attack her own fans. It had to be exhausting.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 12:31:35 PM »
I also think she got tired of the s***, certainly there are other reasons listed, for example people say she wasn't used a schedule of a main character for the show and that she didn't like Toronto. I think this is stated to deflect some of the other things.

I have found that I can't watch too many of CW's shows. I did try to watch Crisis but kept forgetting when it was on and only saw a couple of episodes.

All the angst in practically all of their shows drives me away, pretty quickly since it seems to be a staple element in just about all of their shows. I tried to like Riverdale, Arrow (I was gone after season2, Oliver was too broody for me.), Nancy Drew (there shouldn't be angst in this show but there is), Batwoman (went right to the angst well in episode 1), Supergirl (I stopped with Kara/Jimmy Olson drama). I could go on but, you get the idea.

It's like they took the Smallville thing and try to re-create that thing but upped the angst.

Offline Icefanatic

• Master Thief
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 06:45:52 PM »
I think the angst and some other stuff is a large part of why I am so far behind watching. It makes the shows a chore to watch instead of a joy.

Don't get me started on Nancy Drew. I couldn't make it through the first episode. I knew being the CW it wasn't going to be in line with the 'wholesome' Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys stuff I grew up with, but when she was banging some dude like less than ten minutes into the first episode and it looked like just a hookup, it felt like they were trying WAY to hard to show, see this isn't your parents Nancy Drew, our Nancy bangs. She's all cool and modern and progressive and s***.

Uggh.

I saw a poll online where they were trying to guess which would happen first on the show. Nancy smokes weed, has sex with a girl, has a threesome, or has an abortion. The people doing the poll were in favor of all four things happening. That seems to be the audience the CW is increasingly trying to attract.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 12:41:15 PM »
Yeah, I wasn't expecting Nancy doing a hook up in first ten minutes but I thought whatever.

George was the only likable character but holy crap was she mean.
Bess' chaotic and neurotic behavior with everything got old so fast, I would walk away and wait for the scene to end.
The other problem with Nancy Drew - the show doesn't know what it wants to be, is a mystery or a ghost/horror story with angst.

I swear if you work for that network, the ability to write angst must be on the resume.

Offline Icefanatic

• Master Thief
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 02:51:24 PM »
The CW has some major problems. As bad a it apparently is, Batwoman is their fourth highest-rated show. The Flash in number one, Arrow is second and it just ended, and Supernatural is third and it's in it's final season and would have ended if not for the outbreak. Most of their shows are around or over/under a half million viewers total, and only 100,000-200,000 in the all-important 18-49 demographic. The ratings decline on their shows year-to-year has them losing a quarter to a third of their audience each year. You could argue that because their audience generally may be young than other networks some of that audience is moving more to streaming, but still most of their shows would be cancelled on any other network.

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/cw-2019-20-season-ratings/

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 05:12:30 PM »
I think the angst and some other stuff is a large part of why I am so far behind watching. It makes the shows a chore to watch instead of a joy.

Agreed, I know I use this word a lot but its more than a chore, its fatiguing.  As soon as I see the 'triangle', I get annoyed. This happened with Nancy Drew. Apparently, communication in relationships is completely lacking for the sake of angst/drama.

Offline Icefanatic

• Master Thief
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 12:26:01 AM »
Agreed, I know I use this word a lot but its more than a chore, its fatiguing.  As soon as I see the 'triangle', I get annoyed. This happened with Nancy Drew. Apparently, communication in relationships is completely lacking for the sake of angst/drama.

I don't mind some angst when it's organic, but too often they just make the characters into idiots to facilitate the appearance of drama.

I'm reminded of how extroverts are said to gain energy in social settings while introverts expend energy. It feels like a lot of the genre entertainment... Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, Superheros... that use to energize me now just exhausts me or makes me miserable.

I guess it could be worse. The TV shows Buffy and Angel... I stared off loving them but by the end I actually hated both shows. I watched as they destroyed the characters that I loved and the shows increasingly made me miserable. I started to dread when they came on and dropped both in their final seasons. Most of the shows of those genres out now I don't care that much for in the first place so I never even get that invested.

It's not like I'm hurting for entertainment. There's more stuff I want to watch and read than I have time to do it, its just less and less the type of stuff I would naturally most strongly gravitate to.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 01:04:22 AM by Icefanatic »