Author Topic: Why is Gambit in Excalibur, again?  (Read 25349 times)

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
Re: Why is Gambit in Excalibur, again?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2020, 09:24:40 AM »
To many third/fourth wave feminists (I put third/fourth because I've ben chastised for getting it wrong online, in both directions, so I'm covering my ass), any sexual advancement by a male is "toxic masculinity". So, I'm not surprised Gambit's 1992-1995 flirting is now considered "problematic".  How dare he be the one who pursues? When she initially rejected his advancements he should have respected her opinions and backed off! Being suggestive, lewd, or aggressive is RAAAAAAAPE!
\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2020, 02:44:23 PM »
It's crazy too because one thing they should take note of is the fact that of all the X-Men, Gambit has one of the biggest female followings in the fandom. Outside of feminists and virtue signalers on twitter and such, normal people are fine with it and female fans enjoy his style.

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2020, 05:58:17 PM »
It's crazy too because one thing they should take note of is the fact that of all the X-Men, Gambit has one of the biggest female followings in the fandom. Outside of feminists and virtue signalers on twitter and such, normal people are fine with it and female fans enjoy his style.

EXACTLY!!!! I'd say Gambit's got more female fans than male fans, and that's partially responsible for his extreme (and continued) popularity, and part of that appeal was he was the handsome, sexy, ladies man, dashing, flirty scoundrel. He was a fantasy character. His last name is The beautiful ffs.
\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"

Offline RomeoSvengali

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2020, 11:40:28 PM »
I've seen this compliant several times, that Gambit flirts (oh how dare he) even when he's with Rogue, but as always, they never go into details on this, they can't list a single title, vol. or issue number, no quotes or show any images proving any of it. Asking for details and you'll either get none or just barely a handful of pitiful examples with no context. It's just all this vague talk or their lying there asses off, many of these websites are written by people (mostly males) who've never had a girlfriend or even been out on a date in there life, inadequate self-conscious losers, but they want to act like experts on such things. If one actually takes the time to read the comics, you'll see that Gambit is one of the best things to ever happen to Rogue. Nobody really cares for CBR anymore, they only make those kinds of articles for clicks, don't give them any.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 12:10:23 AM by RomeoSvengali »
https://vimeo.com/49613968
-Romeo Svengali (Monican swordsman)

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2020, 11:58:44 AM »
Yeah, some of those articles look for things to be upset about. Wolverine was even more ‘problemic’ with Jean and that was never an obstacle for the movies, etc...

So back on the original topic, of another book. ‘On paper’ Mauraders would be the best. But in reality, it’s written by Dugan (who is not  a fan) and although it’s supposed to be about the smuggling, etc, that’s merely a thin backdrop for a hellfire club book. Something that could still work, but again Dugan is writing, so won’t happen.

Offline Varia

• Journeyman
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2020, 01:04:46 PM »
Quote from: wantutosigh link=topic=5289. msg78109#msg78109 date=1594940539

Someone just put out one of their articles that's "5 reasons Rogue and Gambit are the best Marvel couple and 5 reasons their terrible".  One of the numbers is about how Gambit is not a good guy and how the way he flirted is not "okay" today and wasn't "okay " back then either. 

Was that the same list that said they "almost never like each other" (  ::)  ) or was that a different one?

I can't speak for how everyone feels towards Gambit.  Personally, as a self-identifying Feminist and someone whose been through a fair share of harassment, Gambit has never bothered me even at his most flirtatious (yes, even when he was implied to have pinched Rogue's @$$).  Not even in a "Gee, looking back that was SO messed up!" way.  If anything, I always had a sense that I'd be safer with him than a lot of other people.  The reasons for this are complicated, personal, and difficult to put into words so I'm not even going to try here.

However, I think it has something to do at least partially, with the fact that his deep respect and admiration for women, whether romantic or not, was never in doubt.  He never saw them as just sexual conquests or pieces of meat, but recognized them as individuals, even when an attraction was there.  He seemed to have an innate understanding of how far was far enough.  People are welcome to feel about this how they want, of course.  It just added to why I liked him.  Gambit loves women, plain and simple.  In a sexual way or not. It wasn't a feeling I got from every guy in the media (heck, even in the X-Men themselves) even at their most "respectful".  Come to think of it, he actually felt way ahead of the times in some ways.

Ugh, I said I wasn't going to try to explain it, yet here I am.

Bottom Line: Not all of my childhood crushes have aged well.  But, Gambit? He's a keeper.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 01:06:33 PM by Varia »

Offline Varia

• Journeyman
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2020, 02:07:08 PM »
*Cough* As to the actual topic of this thread, I don't really have any more input than what's already been said.

Offline Meliorist

• Guild Scholar
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2020, 05:04:54 PM »
I haven't bothered to read any of the new books besides Excalibur and I've given up on that one, so my opinion is based on team line-up more than anything concrete.Fallen Angels and (new/newish) Hellions are the books that seem/ed the most interesting for Gambit to be involved in. Especially now with Hellions, he has ties to a lot of the roster with Psylocke, Sinister, Scalphunter, Nanny, and Orphanmaker. The interactions of all of them with Gambit could be fun and it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for Gambit to be able to be a foil for the others but the Sinister, Scalphunter, Gambit interactions seem the most entertaining.
That is just based on team line-up. I know nothing of the creative team or their views on Gambit or willingness to research.

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2020, 11:37:52 AM »
From what I heard, hellions is supposed to a a sort of rehab/therapy team for mutants whose powers make them act badly and the team is supposed to be an outlet. Though I don’t think any of those characters ever actually had that problems, lol,  I think some have been retconned.

Offline Meliorist

• Guild Scholar
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2020, 03:09:26 PM »
Rehab as lead by Sinister? Ah... nevermind...
I want another Gambit and the X-Ternals then

Offline cajunpirate

• Master Thief
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2020, 03:12:35 PM »
I don't thin X of Swords is going to win over any new fans, quite possibly the opposite. Still, I wouldn't mind just one panel where Gambit charges his sword, throws it at some huge bad guy, and...kaboom, bad guy pieces everywhere.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2020, 05:49:28 PM »
I don't thin X of Swords is going to win over any new fans, quite possibly the opposite. Still, I wouldn't mind just one panel where Gambit charges his sword, throws it at some huge bad guy, and...kaboom, bad guy pieces everywhere.

I would buy book just for your panel.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2020, 09:45:39 AM »
I haven't bothered to read any of the new books besides Excalibur and I've given up on that one, so my opinion is based on team line-up more than anything concrete.Fallen Angels and (new/newish) Hellions are the books that seem/ed the most interesting for Gambit to be involved in. Especially now with Hellions, he has ties to a lot of the roster with Psylocke, Sinister, Scalphunter, Nanny, and Orphanmaker. The interactions of all of them with Gambit could be fun and it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for Gambit to be able to be a foil for the others but the Sinister, Scalphunter, Gambit interactions seem the most entertaining.
That is just based on team line-up. I know nothing of the creative team or their views on Gambit or willingness to research.

I forgot about Hellions. He does have a lot of connections there. I was talking with a YouTuber and he said something along the lines that everyone is where they are for a reason. I think that's a cute and politically correct way to look at comics. That's not always true. I can cite several instances where characters were in books but served no real purpose outside of their introduction. Gambit hasnt served any real purpose while being on Excalibur which goes back to "he's only there because he's married to Rogue". If that's the case it's an infantile reason. Being married to someone doesnt mean you're constantly together. That's nigh been the case within X-Men books. Couples are rarely on the same time - which in reality is a good reason not to be. Your presence of your significant other can put others at risk because it skews someone's objectivity.

Like the mansion served in the past, Krakoa is homebase for everyone. All the teams do go out on adventures but always come home. Like a job. Worked for Scott and Jean for years. Could even help the books as they'd be able to guest star in each other's books that would certainly result in issue boosts. Gambit's usefulness is Excalibur is pretty invisible so far but he seems more accessible in just about every other title.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2020, 10:16:29 AM »
I don`t agree. Excalibur is Apoc and Braddocks show. Others don`t matter. Both Gambit and Rogue have no reason to be there.

They were added to book just to add some star power to it. Gambit`s main plot is not that he married but that he don`t trust Apoc. This is probably  the only plot reason why he is there.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2020, 01:04:17 PM »
I don`t agree. Excalibur is Apoc and Braddocks show. Others don`t matter. Both Gambit and Rogue have no reason to be there.

They were added to book just to add some star power to it. Gambit`s main plot is not that he married but that he don`t trust Apoc. This is probably  the only plot reason why he is there.

That's not a good reason either. No one should trust Apocalypse. What he put Gambit through in becoming a horseman wasnt exclusive to him. He transformed a dozen or so X-Men over the years. You can easily replace Gambit with any number of characters and there would be no difference.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony