Author Topic: Why is Gambit in Excalibur, again?  (Read 26120 times)

Online Toadman005

• Horseman
Re: Why is Gambit in Excalibur, again?
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2020, 02:11:29 PM »
What I find as amusing, is the sentiment that Liu was soft in regards to Gambit -
Love interest? And a few cool action sequences. -

Doesn't that sound familiar? *cough* Thompson *cough* Same thing.

Excalibur just amplifies the horrible treatment of Gambit. IMO

edit: the difference between Liu and Thompson, Gambit did get some story with Liu. He was looked up to, he mentored and was actually a useful member of the team. Not just support.

edit again: Liu would have used Rogue, but wasn't allowed. She wrote a romy story that was published in a collection of Xmen stories. She had a far better handle on the relationship than one would think.

really? Can you give a synopsis of the story, or do you know the title name and issue #? I'd be curious to see Liu's take on Romy, because I liked how she wrote Logan and Remy.
\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"

Online Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2020, 02:26:30 PM »

Didn't Liu say she didn't like Gambit's relationship with Rogue or I'm remembering wrong? There wasn't enough Gambit in that book, and he was vocal about loving Rogue. Wasn't a fan.
Not sure, but I thought in one of those question things, that she was asked if she would write Rogue and I thought she said, she didn't have access to her.  At the time Mike Carey had the exclusive to Rogue.

She might have not liked the relationship, I don't know. I don't recall, its been a long time.

really? Can you give a synopsis of the story, or do you know the title name and issue #? I'd be curious to see Liu's take on Romy, because I liked how she wrote Logan and Remy.
Yeah, I'll have to look it up. Or find the book in my hobby room. I can tell you the title was "Dark Mirror" 2005 is when it was published.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 02:35:17 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2020, 02:32:23 PM »
I am surprised. I thought that Liu never liked Romy.

Online Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2020, 02:36:42 PM »
Maybe she doesn't or changed her mind. Or because she had access to Gambit, and she was fond of Cece. I don't know. It's been ages.
Okay, not much Gambit in Dark Mirror, I'll look for the short story.  But in Dark Mirror she did write Rogue.
I'm probably remembering wrong. It's an age thing.  :crazy2:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 02:53:39 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2020, 02:55:13 PM »
Don't remeber issue. It was just a panel or two.
Remy told that he remembered people that he loved and suddenly it was enough to put Deathbit back so Iceman should try the same. Orsmt like that.

It was rifgt before Iceman arrived and Gambit refused to fight him.

Thanks, I'll look it up.

It's a novel. Gambit and Jubilee are supporting characters. It involves body swap with people an in asylum or something.

I am surprised. I thought that Liu never liked Romy.

I think so too.     

Online Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2020, 04:00:11 PM »
Not sure, but I thought in one of those question things, that she was asked if she would write Rogue and I thought she said, she didn't have access to her.  At the time Mike Carey had the exclusive to Rogue.

She might have not liked the relationship, I don't know. I don't recall, its been a long time.
Yeah, I'll have to look it up. Or find the book in my hobby room. I can tell you the title was "Dark Mirror" 2005 is when it was published.

2005...God, I am old. 15 years feels like yesterday to me.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2020, 02:50:39 AM »
That page

Online Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2020, 09:55:20 AM »
Thanks!

See, for me, Liu has a great grasp on the character, actually knows his history...and presents him pretty favorably.

1.) He's being a gentleman, carrying Warbird, and rejecting the coat offer.
2.) Being a bad ass, handling the freezing temperatures without complaint.
3.) Being noble, protecting Rogue's honor, politely.
4.) Showing strength of character, overcoming the Death persona.
5.) Defending Bobby's honor/character (at his own expense)
6.) Showing bad assert awareness of surroundings by revealing he was aware of Bobby's presence all along
7.) Stylish and cool shirt and tie.
8.) A ting of mysteriousness, and innate cool.

Don't like he admitted he couldn't beat Bobby, but, could be a feign.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2020, 10:44:21 AM »
I love that page. Gambit clearly explained how he defeated Death and what Iceman should do. It is his inner fight that he must struggle.

Liu`s Gambit was confident. He knew what to say and when. When to support, when to calm down someone and when to advice.
Also he was taking leader responsibilities all the time when Logan wasn`t near. It was his plan how to defeat villains in first arc (Karma`s family or smth like that) and in frozen arc he was leading team too when Logan got frozen.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2020, 11:40:03 AM »
Always viewed Gambit as a flirt, and a man that COULD pull any chick he wanted, but, didn't...as in he was very exclusive. Which makes him better than say, Tony Stark. s***, Wolverine's had more confirmed sexual partners than Gambit.

Iceman, Cyclops, Angel, and Colossus have more confirmed partners than Gambit. Just about everyone, actually....
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2020, 12:11:29 PM »
You guys keep saying Gambit was "good" in Astonishing... I mean, he wasnt bad. I read the same run as you guys... We've done this before. Tell me... what did Gambit do in that entire run? Maybe he did some fighting when the Marauders blew up his apartment? Don't remember. I think he threw a card at Iceman's foot? Being looked up to and making a couple poignant speeches in an action comic isn't really "doing" all that much, in my opinion. Her Gambit was fine... but not much different than what we got from Carey (not a bad thing, despite his dismount, Carey wrote a pretty decent Gambit), except with less explosions. So, from a guy that makes things blow up... ya know, less.  And as you all mentioned, got manhandled by Mystique.

Again, not a bad run. He wasn't written poorly at all... It was just #@$#% boring. He didnt do anything. And I really disliked the box-y art. What makes it a bit more annoying is that she promised us a Gambit arc but it never happened. Guess she ran out of time. We all appreciate different aspects of storytelling. I enjoy Gambit being the guy that Nick Fury praised as one of the best hand-to-hand fighters as well exploring his character, background, build lore, etc. Lui's Gambit was more introspective. Slow. Thoughtful. Nothing wrong with that - Gambit is all those things as well, he hides it under his brashness. It's just that is all we got from her version.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 12:15:54 PM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Online Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2020, 02:54:04 PM »
You guys keep saying Gambit was "good" in Astonishing... I mean, he wasnt bad. I read the same run as you guys... We've done this before. Tell me... what did Gambit do in that entire run? Maybe he did some fighting when the Marauders blew up his apartment? Don't remember. I think he threw a card at Iceman's foot? Being looked up to and making a couple poignant speeches in an action comic isn't really "doing" all that much, in my opinion. Her Gambit was fine... but not much different than what we got from Carey (not a bad thing, despite his dismount, Carey wrote a pretty decent Gambit), except with less explosions. So, from a guy that makes things blow up... ya know, less.  And as you all mentioned, got manhandled by Mystique.

Again, not a bad run. He wasn't written poorly at all... It was just #@$#% boring. He didnt do anything. And I really disliked the box-y art. What makes it a bit more annoying is that she promised us a Gambit arc but it never happened. Guess she ran out of time. We all appreciate different aspects of storytelling. I enjoy Gambit being the guy that Nick Fury praised as one of the best hand-to-hand fighters as well exploring his character, background, build lore, etc. Lui's Gambit was more introspective. Slow. Thoughtful. Nothing wrong with that - Gambit is all those things as well, he hides it under his brashness. It's just that is all we got from her version.

Well, despite my earlier praise I can agree with most of this. Her run was boring. Gambit did next to no fighting, no action...and the art sucked. Like you, I want 90's style jumping, flipping, high kicking, ass kicking, acrobatic bad assery action Gambit with a dangerous edge to him. But, I suppose I like Liu's run as she handled him so, so much better than most handled him prior to, or after, and while he did little, at least he was (save losing to Mystique) never handled embarrassingly (incompetent, whiney, b***hy, constantly embarrassed, literally cucked, always beaten, sketchy, sleazy, etc), so it makes her run seem better. Also, he was cool in X23 (his destroying of Daken's arm was probably his gnarliest feat since the late 90's), so maybe it helps me view her run more favorably.

That, and as I say I used to tweet with her and she was nice.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2020, 03:06:02 PM »
Well, I agree with Don, overall.

Damn, that Fury quote. I see it a lot on the net but noone knows where it came from. Not even Dantay could tell.

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2020, 03:21:35 PM »

I agree. That run was boring and forgettable, so much so that the only thing that stuck was Gambit adopting cats.

Online Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2020, 03:33:20 PM »
Well, I agree with Don, overall.

Damn, that Fury quote. I see it a lot on the net but noone knows where it came from. Not even Dantay could tell.

I know exactly where it comes from.

X-Men Adventures (the comic based on X-Men the Animated Series episodes) #9, featured a 14 page preview of things to come, and contained the Nick Fury files quote. Also, I think it was in the Maximum Anniversay X-Perience, a sorta...spiral style book that laid out the mansion, danger room, blackbird details, etc. It showed off Gambit's bedroom I recall haha.