Author Topic: Why is Gambit in Excalibur, again?  (Read 25337 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Why is Gambit in Excalibur, again?
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2020, 03:51:06 PM »
Well, I agree with Don, overall.

Damn, that Fury quote. I see it a lot on the net but noone knows where it came from. Not even Dantay could tell.

Pretty sure I have the book upstairs... I'll have to look at it. I think it was a narration box.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2020, 04:01:44 PM »

I know exactly where it comes from.

X-Men Adventures (the comic based on X-Men the Animated Series episodes) #9, featured a 14 page preview of things to come, and contained the Nick Fury files quote. Also, I think it was in the Maximum Anniversay X-Perience, a sorta...spiral style book that laid out the mansion, danger room, blackbird details, etc. It showed off Gambit's bedroom I recall haha.

Even without the quote, that era of Gambit is the one that made me a fan. "bang you dead" deflecting bullets with a stick, picking locks with a spike in his leg, french kissing a Jean-bot, Taco Bell dating, Blackcat chillin', Sabretooth abusing, chain smoking (hey, the X-Men are immortal now, right ?  ;) ), Harley riding, gumbo stewing, Bishop chest jabbin', Batmobile stealing, tortured soul, devil may care, Ragin Cajun that can do more than be saved and lectured.

I look at what he is now and even in X-Factor and wonder what the @#@$ did Marvel pay James Asmus for? Ok, I get it, everyone has their favorites, but there are actual writers Marvel employs that want to write the character. He has fans - I just dont get the point of sticking him with creators that obviously have no interest or respect for the character. His and Rogue's usage in Excalibur is so obviously just for attention its maddening. Gambit's a running joke and Rogue wasnt in the book for half the run. And I'll say it again - they dont have to be in a book together.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2020, 04:13:43 PM »

Even without the quote, that era of Gambit is the one that made me a fan. "bang you dead" deflecting bullets with a stick, picking locks with a spike in his leg, french kissing a Jean-bot, Taco Bell dating, Blackcat chillin', Sabretooth abusing, chain smoking (hey, the X-Men are immortal now, right ?  ;) ), Harley riding, gumbo stewing, Bishop chest jabbin', Batmobile stealing, tortured soul, devil may care, Ragin Cajun that can do more than be saved and lectured.

This, word for word.
\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2020, 04:19:16 PM »

I know exactly where it comes from.

X-Men Adventures (the comic based on X-Men the Animated Series episodes) #9, featured a 14 page preview of things to come, and contained the Nick Fury files quote. Also, I think it was in the Maximum Anniversay X-Perience, a sorta...spiral style book that laid out the mansion, danger room, blackbird details, etc. It showed off Gambit's bedroom I recall haha.

X-Men Adventures has only info and sketches of Gambit about his first series by Howard and Weeks.

Maybe you has some scans of that Maximum issue? It is probably hard to find it.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2020, 04:23:23 PM »

I look at what he is now and even in X-Factor and wonder what the @#@$ did Marvel pay James Asmus for? Ok, I get it, everyone has their favorites, but there are actual writers Marvel employs that want to write the character. He has fans - I just dont get the point of sticking him with creators that obviously have no interest or respect for the character. His and Rogue's usage in Excalibur is so obviously just for attention its maddening. Gambit's a running joke and Rogue wasnt in the book for half the run. And I'll say it again - they dont have to be in a book together.

I feel you. May sound like absurd but I won't be surprised if Howard hates him. Writer can write some characters bad if don't know them but in issue 7 his cards don't even explode twice. It just feels like evil trolling.

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2020, 05:09:10 PM »

X-Men Adventures has only info and sketches of Gambit about his first series by Howard and Weeks.

Maybe you has some scans of that Maximum issue? It is probably hard to find it.

You're right,I just saw that online (like, a free copy of XMA#9)...maybe it was on the back of a card...I have a copy of the Maximum but it's at my parents house inter attic...can't really access it.

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2020, 05:34:20 PM »
Okay, apparently the quote's not in either of the comics I ould have put money on it was in, or the trading cards.

Now, I'm really frustrated.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2020, 05:13:51 AM »
Okay, apparently the quote's not in either of the comics I ould have put money on it was in, or the trading cards.

Now, I'm really frustrated.

Don`t worry. I think we will find it sooner or later ;)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2020, 11:42:47 AM »
It truly saddens and frustrates me how often writers get Gambit wrong. The Gambit that is routinely featured in the main X-Men books is often a facade. The carefree playboy doesn't really exist - as we all know, historically he's got less of romantic history than most of his peers - including Iceman, who apparently doesn't even like girls. Heck, he's beaten Gambit again racking up two more since coming out!

I get it. Outside of a literal handful of X-Men issues - most of his character development is done within the pages of his mini's and ongoings. Chances are, if your not a fan, you're probably not reading those much. That's ok for fans. For writers, however, that's unacceptable. If you're going to commit yourself to writing a character you owe it to that subject to at least skim his reference materials.

Well, not just Gambit - the flesh and blood people that wrote the character. They are owed the consideration of having their work respectfully taken into account. But this is all stuff editors used to enforce with their writers - or at least make sure it wasn't egregiously ignored. If a writer portrays the character based simply on what they've seen of him in the main X-Men books (assuming they've read any he's been a normal part of) or the by how he behaved in any of the animated series' - they don't understand the character at all.

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2020, 04:42:19 PM »
It truly saddens and frustrates me how often writers get Gambit wrong. The Gambit that is routinely featured in the main X-Men books is often a facade. The carefree playboy doesn't really exist - as we all know, historically he's got less of romantic history than most of his peers - including Iceman, who apparently doesn't even like girls. Heck, he's beaten Gambit again racking up two more since coming out!

I get it. Outside of a literal handful of X-Men issues - most of his character development is done within the pages of his mini's and ongoings. Chances are, if your not a fan, you're probably not reading those much. That's ok for fans. For writers, however, that's unacceptable. If you're going to commit yourself to writing a character you owe it to that subject to at least skim his reference materials.

Well, not just Gambit - the flesh and blood people that wrote the character. They are owed the consideration of having their work respectfully taken into account. But this is all stuff editors used to enforce with their writers - or at least make sure it wasn't egregiously ignored. If a writer portrays the character based simply on what they've seen of him in the main X-Men books (assuming they've read any he's been a normal part of) or the by how he behaved in any of the animated series' - they don't understand the character at all.

Amen. Lack of continuity or adherence to a character's personality have ruined so many comics. "Writers" ignorant of anything other than a general outline of a character basically just pen whatever, and it gets put to print.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2020, 05:04:29 PM »
When we were actually enjoying books, it was all character driven, the story showcasing traits or character growth.
Now, its all story driven and character be damned. Its awful.

NicoPony

« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2020, 07:59:54 PM »
Srsly, bring back the telenovella aspect, Claremont was all Soap opera back in the day. Lots of catching people kissing, misunderstandings, human interaction.

Post Claremont,

I reread the Thanksgiving issue where Jean proposes to Scott the other day and cried like a baby.

Reread the first Gambit solo ish where JL sends G back to the past to rescue his kid self from Candra, and realized there is a panel where JL actually has TEARS bc he knows his kid self with betray his son and IT’S ALL THE FEELS.

Wtf happened to all that!? All Totally unrelatable garbage now!

When we were actually enjoying books, it was all character driven, the story showcasing traits or character growth.

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2020, 01:39:13 PM »
Srsly, bring back the telenovella aspect, Claremont was all Soap opera back in the day. Lots of catching people kissing, misunderstandings, human interaction.

Post Claremont,

I reread the Thanksgiving issue where Jean proposes to Scott the other day and cried like a baby.

Reread the first Gambit solo ish where JL sends G back to the past to rescue his kid self from Candra, and realized there is a panel where JL actually has TEARS bc he knows his kid self with betray his son and IT’S ALL THE FEELS.

Wtf happened to all that!? All Totally unrelatable garbage now!

Love that issue. My second most heartfelt X-Men moment after the post Onslaught pancake scene.

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2020, 01:46:38 PM »

Agreed. You could read Claremont word bibles without the art and know who's talking based on personality, attitude and yes, accent. Nowadays everyone is the same, and often just standing around in panels.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2020, 06:03:30 PM »
One of my biggest pet peeves in today's style of comics. Walls of text. I'm a fan of Leah Williams - but I'm set to drop X-Factor from issue one. Issue two was even worse. The only thing stopping me is my desire to continue supporting my LCS... But I'm pretty sure I'm done with it. Her issue of X of Swords wasn't bad - but it also suffered the same avalanche of text - just not as severe.