Author Topic: Why is Gambit in Excalibur, again?  (Read 25378 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Why is Gambit in Excalibur, again?
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2020, 06:28:53 PM »
I may not have it in me to write a book - but I think I can whip up a treatment and set-up better than most. I'm expecting to see the books scrambled up a bit after this ridiculously long crossover. I came up with a concept I'd like explored through a revamp of Fallen Angels.

Fallen Angels vol. 3

Nightcrawler, Gambit, Frenzy, Husk, Hellion, Tempo

Think Burn Notice in terms of function. The team helps people while exploring a large arc(s). All mission are off-isle and assigned by a Krakoa council liaison, in this case it's Mystique. Magneto and Xavier hope to use this position to distract her. on behalf of a long list of requests from Krakoa citizens. Krakoans are safe to leave the island - but it's not recommended due to the hostile political climate. Kurt, being a council member himself, is pointman for the team. Mystique being the curator of their assignments - she chooses where the team's focus should be. Unbeknownst to them, many of the errands she sends them on are actually to help her achieve her own goals.

Frenzy is drafted but would have gladly volunteered. She just wants to get off the isle and mix it up. Tempo seeks redemption for a wasted past. She also wishes to reconnect with estranged family that she discovers has fallen in with anti-Krakoa extremist. Hellion has been stirring up trouble - mostly since Laura's disappearance into the vault. He blames the council for sending her. As a form of penance or probation he's placed on the squad to focus his emotions. He wants to be here the least but latches onto Gambit as a mentor, of sorts. Gambit uses the opportunity to look into his own affairs with the Guild.

There've been disturbances in his absence. Secretly, he's also been tapped by the Hell Fire Club to assist in exporting the Krakoan drugs within circles of the black market that even they cannot reach without starting an international incident. Mystique, of course, is aware and uses this as well. Husk, like Frenzy seeks adventure and also wants to do right by the Guthrie family name in Sam's extraterrestrial absence. She's the most trustworthy and upbeat of the group - but still morally flexible enough to allow the team to function.

At first, Nightcrawler will struggle to manage the group's dynamic. He unexpectedly finds himself leaning on Gambit, his brother-in-law, for help in this aspect. Out of all the team members he clashes with Frenzy most often. He's optimistic and easy going - she's stubborn and short-tempered. Perhaps they protest too much? The team tackles everything from missing family members, asset recovery, corporate espionage to investigating violence against mutants abroad.

What are your thoughts on my dream set up within the current climate?
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2020, 05:05:24 PM »
 I really like their dynamic here. Always happy to see Gambit as mentor and always glad to see more Gambit/Frenzy.Don't care about Hellion but mentor plot can be good.

Would change Hust and Tempo for any other characters.
Would be glad to change them to Onyxx that is probably the last one in line for ressurection.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2020, 10:36:00 PM »
I really like their dynamic here. Always happy to see Gambit as mentor and always glad to see more Gambit/Frenzy.Don't care about Hellion but mentor plot can be good.

Would change Hust and Tempo for any other characters.
Would be glad to change them to Onyxx that is probably the last one in line for ressurection.

lol Onyx has too much past conflict with Mystique, who would be a big part of the story. Or did you forget his whole thing with Foxx?
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2020, 06:21:23 AM »

lol Onyx has too much past conflict with Mystique, who would be a big part of the story. Or did you forget his whole thing with Foxx?

He is just a kid that wanted to be loved :)
X-Men always were a soap opera.

Offline cajunpirate

• Master Thief
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2020, 05:06:09 PM »
I have to say....X of Swords is about as exciting as watching paint dry. What the hell were they thinking?

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2020, 11:00:26 AM »
It's interesting purely from a world-building standpoint... but most of it doesnt make sense. Like at all. Not the conflict, not the character origins, not the way the Krakoans (X-Men) are reacting to impending doom - I'm not even sure what the motivations are. It seems that Akkara (?) and other "dark realms" are trying to dominate other worlds and for some reason they are being stopped by this Emma Frost- looking woman (Saturnyne) to battle in a Mortal Kombat-esk fighting tournament? I'm assuming they want to take over all of Earth's realm, not just Krakoa... which would cause a whole other issue with the rest of the universe, right? Marvel's Universe extends beyond just Earth. I think all the other beings would have a problem with this.

There's so much to sort through... like the idea that Apocalypse ruled an ancient Krakoa populated by thousands of ultra-powerful mutants - but we never heard of it? I'm just supposed to accept that? There's a lot of retconning going on and they aren't even bothering to explain most of it. I'm not reading that 40pg companion book just to understand the comic book series I've been reading for more than a year. Seriously - the @#@% were they thinking with all this?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 11:02:59 AM by DonPriceTag »

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2020, 03:58:18 PM »
It's interesting purely from a world-building standpoint... but most of it doesnt make sense. Like at all. Not the conflict, not the character origins, not the way the Krakoans (X-Men) are reacting to impending doom - I'm not even sure what the motivations are. It seems that Akkara (?) and other "dark realms" are trying to dominate other worlds and for some reason they are being stopped by this Emma Frost- looking woman (Saturnyne) to battle in a Mortal Kombat-esk fighting tournament? I'm assuming they want to take over all of Earth's realm, not just Krakoa... which would cause a whole other issue with the rest of the universe, right? Marvel's Universe extends beyond just Earth. I think all the other beings would have a problem with this.

There's so much to sort through... like the idea that Apocalypse ruled an ancient Krakoa populated by thousands of ultra-powerful mutants - but we never heard of it? I'm just supposed to accept that? There's a lot of retconning going on and they aren't even bothering to explain most of it. I'm not reading that 40pg companion book just to understand the comic book series I've been reading for more than a year. Seriously - the @#@% were they thinking with all this?

I don't think they were. Someone came up with a dumb idea, without doing any research or adherence to continuity or logic, and it was rubber stamped with some positive affirmation, and sent to print, without a decent editor even saying, "What, uhm, hold up."
\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2020, 09:10:59 AM »
At first, I was a bit annoyed by Gambit, again, being left out of another X-Men event - but seeing what X of Swords has devolved into, I cant help but feel a bit relieved. Tini's obsession with the occult I thought would only go as far as it could with an event involving swordplay - but somehow it's more about silly magic and parlor tricks than anything else. The event is truly more about the symbolism of swords as they have to do with tarot cards. I could imagine what type of buffoonery she and the other writers would have lined up for Gambit - assuming he'd survive it without being twisted after an embarrassing death - as we saw with Rockslide. Rockslide is a minor character, at best. I'm sure his fate was simply foreshadowing, as death has become with the X-Men, his was a tool or plot device - someone else is going to die and be reborn dramatically altered, just as Santos was at the beginning of this crossover. Glad it wont be Gambit... could you imagine the butchering of his character at the hands of these hacks?

Offline killphil

• Master Thief
« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2020, 08:58:32 AM »
Okay, apparently the quote's not in either of the comics I ould have put money on it was in, or the trading cards.

Now, I'm really frustrated.
I can tell you exactly where that quote came from. "One of the best fighters I've ever seen"-Nick Fury. It came from one of those official strategy guides from Brady Games. It was for a game called Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2. Every character bio has a dossier "written" by Nick Fury. Much in the same vein as these:

It was this book

Don't have a copy, and can't find the specific page on Gambit online, but these are the general gist of every character.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 09:03:48 AM by killphil »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2020, 10:07:51 AM »
Cool! Now I need to find that magazine.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2020, 10:09:45 AM »
At first, I was a bit annoyed by Gambit, again, being left out of another X-Men event - but seeing what X of Swords has devolved into, I cant help but feel a bit relieved. Tini's obsession with the occult I thought would only go as far as it could with an event involving swordplay - but somehow it's more about silly magic and parlor tricks than anything else. The event is truly more about the symbolism of swords as they have to do with tarot cards. I could imagine what type of buffoonery she and the other writers would have lined up for Gambit - assuming he'd survive it without being twisted after an embarrassing death - as we saw with Rockslide. Rockslide is a minor character, at best. I'm sure his fate was simply foreshadowing, as death has become with the X-Men, his was a tool or plot device - someone else is going to die and be reborn dramatically altered, just as Santos was at the beginning of this crossover. Glad it wont be Gambit... could you imagine the butchering of his character at the hands of these hacks?

We had an event about Tarot cards and the only X character that are using cards as weapons were not used in it. They hate him.

Offline killphil

• Master Thief
« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2020, 11:09:01 AM »
And as you all mentioned, got manhandled by Mystique.
When did this happen?

I enjoy Gambit being the guy that Nick Fury praised as one of the best hand-to-hand fighters as well exploring his character, background, build lore, etc. Lui's Gambit was more introspective. Slow. Thoughtful. Nothing wrong with that - Gambit is all those things as well, he hides it under his brashness. It's just that is all we got from her version.
So which run is this? Are you talking about Majorie Lui's run on X-23 where he co-starred, or did she write something else with Gambit? I'm out of the loop. But wasn't there just a Gambit/Rogue limited series and then Mr & Mrs X recently? He seemed written perfectly in character in those books and had alot of great fight scenes, dialogue, and the way the writer had Gambit and Rogue interact and resolve their differences felt so genuine and perfectly in character. Felt like I was reading the same Gambit & Rogue I used to watch every Sat morning and read every month in the 90's.

Offline RomeoSvengali

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2020, 11:56:58 PM »
The first image is from X-Men Adventures (1992) #9 on page 31.
https://www.comicextra.com/x-men-adventures-1992/chapter-9/31
https://vimeo.com/49613968
-Romeo Svengali (Monican swordsman)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2020, 12:18:03 AM »
When did this happen?
So which run is this? Are you talking about Majorie Lui's run on X-23 where he co-starred, or did she write something else with Gambit? I'm out of the loop. But wasn't there just a Gambit/Rogue limited series and then Mr & Mrs X recently? He seemed written perfectly in character in those books and had alot of great fight scenes, dialogue, and the way the writer had Gambit and Rogue interact and resolve their differences felt so genuine and perfectly in character. Felt like I was reading the same Gambit & Rogue I used to watch every Sat morning and read every month in the 90's.

Yes Lui's Astonishing X-Men when Mystique went all octo-future mother in law on him. Same issue he got the cats.

Offline killphil

• Master Thief
« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2020, 10:53:46 AM »

Yes Lui's Astonishing X-Men when Mystique went all octo-future mother in law on him. Same issue he got the cats.
Just looked that issue up on Readallcomics.com. #63? I wouldn't exactly call that manhandling. He fought her rather well, even if he did get compromised.