Author Topic: Why is Gambit in Excalibur, again?  (Read 25382 times)

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
Re: Why is Gambit in Excalibur, again?
« Reply #150 on: January 21, 2021, 10:17:36 AM »

Oh, I'd love a Gambit "crew" of Fence and Courier! Especially in a Burn Notice type of deal. Not general "super hero" fair (though it of course would be) but like the show "I have a friend, that was a problem Rem'". Then we get to watch Gambit and co. run jobs against King Pin, Tombstone, remnants of the NYC assassin's guild, running a job for Pete Wisdom, etc. while also dealing with Guild matters and the usual X-Men spillover crises'.

Maybe I am unrealistic and hope for too much, but I'd love a comic where a A lister like Spider-man or the Avengers come to Gambit to break into an A-list villains base and steal something. Imagine Gambit invading Norman Osborne's company or even Doctor Doom's stronghold.
\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #151 on: January 21, 2021, 10:39:51 AM »
Purp! How much for a piece like this?! LOL

Mocked up a the title for them to step over  ;D
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #152 on: January 21, 2021, 10:50:28 AM »

Maybe I am unrealistic and hope for too much, but I'd love a comic where a A lister like Spider-man or the Avengers come to Gambit to break into an A-list villains base and steal something. Imagine Gambit invading Norman Osborne's company or even Doctor Doom's stronghold.

I'd love that too - if the rest of the world was making nice with Krakoa! But I think that'd make sense. In the pantheon of professional *ahem* acquisitions - would these hero types trust Black Cat or Gambit? Gambit would do it for fun - not profit. Felicia would disappear with whatever they sent her for lol.

To stay within continuity - if the X-Men are really doing this "mutant-first" agenda - send Gambit in to steal something from Osborn, Doom, or hey, The Avengers mansion or Stark.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #153 on: January 22, 2021, 02:16:56 PM »

I'd love that too - if the rest of the world was making nice with Krakoa! But I think that'd make sense. In the pantheon of professional *ahem* acquisitions - would these hero types trust Black Cat or Gambit? Gambit would do it for fun - not profit. Felicia would disappear with whatever they sent her for lol.

To stay within continuity - if the X-Men are really doing this "mutant-first" agenda - send Gambit in to steal something from Osborn, Doom, or hey, The Avengers mansion or Stark.

I'd love Gambit getting the better of Stark.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #154 on: January 22, 2021, 04:00:55 PM »

Oh, I'd love a Gambit "crew" of Fence and Courier! Especially in a Burn Notice type of deal. Not general "super hero" fair (though it of course would be) but like the show "I have a friend, that was a problem Rem'". Then we get to watch Gambit and co. run jobs against King Pin, Tombstone, remnants of the NYC assassin's guild, running a job for Pete Wisdom, etc. while also dealing with Guild matters and the usual X-Men spillover crises'.

That is why I loved Channing script so much. It had everything: solo adventures, team work, work forhire, love interest team up with great action. Everything were smart and with style.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 05:25:08 PM by purplevit »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #155 on: January 22, 2021, 05:26:13 PM »
Purp! How much for a piece like this?! LOL

Cool! If only we had good X editors again.

Offline Icefanatic

• Master Thief
    • A Better Place - A Fandom Community Forum
« Reply #156 on: January 23, 2021, 05:22:44 PM »

Great idea!

Sounds a bit like Leverage, too. Damn, I miss both those shows.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #157 on: January 23, 2021, 10:14:54 PM »
So, good people - who are we adding to the crew? How about we keep it to what were seeing on the graphic? 5 including Gambit and a series regular, so 3 main characters besides Gambit, and one regular guest spot.

Curious to see what you guys got... I mean c'mon, we don't have anything else going for us.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #158 on: January 23, 2021, 10:47:18 PM »
Think I'll go with...
Gambit
Courier (still as Jackie)
Fence
Hellion
w/ Cecelia as the recurring character. I think it allows the story to get messier knowing the book can fall back on someone to patch them up. Could be a running gag for them to end or start out in the Healing Grotto.

NicoPony

« Reply #159 on: January 25, 2021, 12:50:36 PM »
Think I'll go with...
Gambit
Courier (still as Jackie)
Fence
Hellion
w/ Cecelia as the recurring character. I think it allows the story to get messier knowing the book can fall back on someone to patch them up. Could be a running gag for them to end or start out in the Healing Grotto.

I like your team. I don't know who Hellion is really, but a low-level telepath is a good fit. I think I'd switch him out for another female, someone with a more street level fighting style. I just don't know who! Someone else sneaky - can we get 1990s era Psylocke back? Hell, we've got two variations already, why not time-travel Betsy? In lieu of a telepath, how about Lila Cheney? Need a mode of transportation, right? Or...Spiral. She can get them places and have magic. No wait, Fatale. That's random. But she's an assassin, sneaky, and can teleport. Okay, I'm going to Fatale. Final Answer.

I wonder about  Jackie/Jake. The character might be kryptonite now. The original plotline was partly handled for comedic effect. Now that there's a more open discussion about gender versus sex, I would hope they would handle it more appropriately. Just because Jake was stuck in a woman's body wouldn't change who he was internally, he's still a man. Unless Jake secretly felt he was a woman and liked Gambit in that way and it was his subconscious that made him into a woman? I'll just assume it was okay, since Jackie didn't get too upset about Gambit kissing him/her. But of course, you have to take it in the context and the time at which it was written. It would just have to handled a lot differently now if Jake's ever going to come back. If Marvel did actually care about representation and social issues, maybe they wouldn't just white wash characters and make them PC (or give them new powers or personalities) overnight and instead...I don't know - DEVELOP them? But that would actually take someone who could write worth a damn.

Gambit
Courier
Fence
Fatale
Cecelia
Danger (she and Fence can make electronic eyes at each other)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #160 on: January 25, 2021, 04:53:29 PM »
Cool ideas.

My team:

Gambit :gambit:
Bella
Fence
Nil the Technomancer
Zoe Ishihara from the Tokyo Thieves Guild

I think this team would have a cool dynamic.

NicoPony

« Reply #161 on: January 25, 2021, 05:14:58 PM »
Cool ideas.

My team:

Gambit :gambit:
Bella
Fence
Nil the Technomancer
Zoe Ishihara from the Tokyo Thieves Guild

I think this team would have a cool dynamic.

Zoe would be sweet! And Nil a good foil.

There’s always room for more Belle in my life.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #162 on: January 25, 2021, 05:17:31 PM »

Zoe would be sweet! And Nil a good foil.

There’s always room for more Belle in my life.

Me too. I think this team has a lot of strong charactets that would provide explosive dynamic and different motives.

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #163 on: January 26, 2021, 11:24:26 AM »
Gonna go a bit odd here....

Gambit (obviously)
Bishop
Black Cat
Marrow
Laura

Would love to have more Gambit and Bishop be "buddy cop" types, with Bishop annoyed with Remy, Remy's laid back aloofness clashing with Bishop's seriousness.
Black Cat obviously for flirtatious will they/won't they sex appeal (I mean, assuming he and Rogue ever divorce which, lets face it, given it's Marvel, that's inevitable),
and Marrow and Laura given he kinda tutored both in a sense, and I'd love them to be sorta semi jealous of one another, and rivals. Could make for a wacky dynamic.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #164 on: January 26, 2021, 05:17:50 PM »

I like your team. I don't know who Hellion is really, but a low-level telepath is a good fit. I think I'd switch him out for another female, someone with a more street level fighting style. I just don't know who! Someone else sneaky - can we get 1990s era Psylocke back? Hell, we've got two variations already, why not time-travel Betsy? In lieu of a telepath, how about Lila Cheney? Need a mode of transportation, right? Or...Spiral. She can get them places and have magic. No wait, Fatale. That's random. But she's an assassin, sneaky, and can teleport. Okay, I'm going to Fatale. Final Answer.

I wonder about  Jackie/Jake. The character might be kryptonite now. The original plotline was partly handled for comedic effect. Now that there's a more open discussion about gender versus sex, I would hope they would handle it more appropriately. Just because Jake was stuck in a woman's body wouldn't change who he was internally, he's still a man. Unless Jake secretly felt he was a woman and liked Gambit in that way and it was his subconscious that made him into a woman? I'll just assume it was okay, since Jackie didn't get too upset about Gambit kissing him/her. But of course, you have to take it in the context and the time at which it was written. It would just have to handled a lot differently now if Jake's ever going to come back. If Marvel did actually care about representation and social issues, maybe they wouldn't just white wash characters and make them PC (or give them new powers or personalities) overnight and instead...I don't know - DEVELOP them? But that would actually take someone who could write worth a damn.

Gambit
Courier
Fence
Fatale
Cecelia
Danger (she and Fence can make electronic eyes at each other)

I originally thought about using Gabby but she's been written with such a cutey role I didn't want to bother. Also Jake is a metamorph not shapeshifter. What he turns into, he is inside and out. So much so, Sinister didn't even know the difference when he broke his DNA down to bits and analyzed it. Which is why when he reverted him to solid, it was to a woman because that how he found him. It's was pretty funny because Sinister had this "oh well" type of air about him.

It doesn't mean Jake can't turn into a man or even his old self. It just means his base form is a woman. Any other form would be him forcing his body to change.

Oh and Hellion is a newer character from New X-Men / Academy X. He's a high level telekinetic skilled enough to reassemble matter at the molecular level. He is Laura's ex that thinks Gambit is cool but more over got checked by him while he was dating Laura. He's an upstart I could see getting a kick out of running around Gambits underworld.

Psylocke (Qwannon) leads the Hellions under Sinister. Lila Cheney is part of SWORD and I don't think her powers work on a single planet. If I understand her powers correctly it has to be a great distance, like between planets. I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 05:31:55 PM by DonPriceTag »