Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2021  (Read 61834 times)

Offline andresa

• Survivor
Gambit Watch 2021
« on: December 31, 2020, 04:03:20 PM »

Is his charming ability and resistance to telepathy still a thing?

These abilities have been forgotten. 

Is his charming ability and resistance to telepathy still a thing? Also his second manifestation of Death had him with totally different abilities. Something like turning others into death zombies or something?

There was this:

And this:

Offline andresa

• Survivor
Re: Gambit Watch 2021
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 04:05:36 PM »

And these:

Then it was also forgotten.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 08:45:29 PM »
I can't begin to understand the precog thing, but if you want to go into theoretical physics... If his powers are actually New Sun's powers but watered down - then peering into possible timelines and alternate dimensions wouldn't be outrageous or beyond his power set... Assuming he'd have access to those powers again. He was meant to be a conduit to bring about the end of the world - if I recall correctly.

That Deathbit stuff.... That wasn't his power set. It was implanted in him or had his genes altered by the celestial machine - which if we're going by the nonsense that happened in DoX - isn't a thing anymore and isn't necessary to make horsemen. Horsemen apparently are just born godlike.

Leaning into either of these would have made more sense, but both would require Tini to actually know the character.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 08:47:37 PM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 06:28:09 PM »
Soooo.... Apparently they changed Gambits powers. Something about manipulating "mutant energy" or magical energy... Interesting but hardly has anything to do with Gambits powers. Anyone else think this revelation won't survive outside of this run?
All the mutant magic this book was supposed to about was pretty much apocalypse stealing magic to make portals. Now the mutant magic is about combining and channeling ‘mutant energy’, which apparently gambit can do the same way he can kinetic energy. The concept of mutant energy seems dumb and probably won’t last. I guess at least it’s not a power downgrade.

Offline killphil

• Master Thief
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 10:41:59 PM »

And these:

Then it was also forgotten.
Yeah, Gambit's powers as Death were all over the place and pretty Vague. Not exactly sure what all those abilities even were.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 01:18:52 PM »
All of that deathbit coming out to play and doing whatever based on Gambit's emotions was all Mike Carey. Can you believe it?! It was one of the few interesting things he did with the character and then dropped all ideas for Magneto and Rogue to hook up. pfft.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 04:01:57 PM »
All of that deathbit coming out to play and doing whatever based on Gambit's emotions was all Mike Carey. Can you believe it?! It was one of the few interesting things he did with the character and then dropped all ideas for Magneto and Rogue to hook up. pfft.

#&#&## Rogueneto! Man, Magneto is one of my favorite characters and he really made me annoyed with that. Can't believe he retconned his own story... Hey, it is what got me back into reading comics. Randomly hearing that Rogue and him slept together.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 11:52:58 AM »
Is his charming ability and resistance to telepathy still a thing? Also his second manifestation of Death had him with totally different abilities. Something like turning others into death zombies or something?

I think the charm thing was dropped because it's too #MeToo open for criticism. "GaMbiT's a MANipuLatOr!!!! REE!"
\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 03:29:55 PM »

I think the charm thing was dropped because it's too #MeToo open for criticism. "GaMbiT's a MANipuLatOr!!!! REE!"
And yet all of the telepaths in the Marvel Universe are 'fine' with their intrusive powers via editorial or whomever is writing the telepath of the month. LOL

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 04:32:03 PM »
And yet all of the telepaths in the Marvel Universe are 'fine' with their intrusive powers via editorial or whomever is writing the telepath of the month. LOL

Haha yep!

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 06:03:26 PM »

Said by sad people inside their echo chambers who create issues in retrospect and deem everything problematic.   

Yet only Gambit has rape powers and is called sleazy.

Offline hairlesscat

• Master Thief
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2021, 07:17:49 PM »
I honestly don't think that is it. I think it has more to do with the fact that writers at the X-office don't seem to know diddly crap about Gambit or his powers/abilities and so they just get left out. See also: Gambit's resistance to telepathy. It's what happens when you hire shoddy writers that don't care about quality or continuity.

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2021, 08:59:08 AM »
writers at the X-office don't seem to know diddly crap about Gambit or his powers/abilities and so they just get left out. See also: Gambit's resistance to telepathy. It's what happens when you hire shoddy writers that don't care about quality or continuity.

I agree with this. But it doesn't explain why Gambit is the only one called a creep and sleazy while popular characters are excused for much worse. You frequently see his TAS scenes and random old comic panels being taken out of context to "prove" Gambit's a creep and to justify writers' lack of interest in him when, in reality, what they're proving is their own incompetence. Editors don't do their jobs, either.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 09:05:23 AM by andresa »

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2021, 11:50:22 AM »

I agree with this. But it doesn't explain why Gambit is the only one called a creep and sleazy while popular characters are excused for much worse. You frequently see his TAS scenes and random old comic panels being taken out of context to "prove" Gambit's a creep and to justify writers' lack of interest in him when, in reality, what they're proving is their own incompetence. Editors don't do their jobs, either.

I'm convinced there hasn't been a proper editor at Marvel since the late 90s.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2021, 05:13:07 PM »
When I ask "comic fans" what they don't like about Gambit they always refer to something that either didn't happen or some sort of headcanon implanted in their heads from watching the show. Gambit "the lady's man" never really existed in the books. The only glimpses we see of that incarnation are through flashbacks within his solos, so you know they aren't talking about that - cause they don't read his solos. Cyclops is 10x the sleaze. Wolverine would have died from some sort of STD years ago if it weren't for his healing factor, and Iceman is almost as "bad", now he's an equal offender having been with at least 3 dudes since coming out only a handful of years ago. Beast and Professor X have more of a dating history than Gambit at this point. But both are perceived as jerks these days, anyway.