Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2021  (Read 61851 times)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
Re: Gambit Watch 2021
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2021, 02:20:15 PM »
Future fight is a mobile game. Gambit had only classic costume in it.

Now he will have also Excalibur look and new skills with it.
Characters on poster will get updates too.

Offline Varia

• Journeyman
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2021, 01:52:47 PM »

And poor Belle, set up to get killed and then they bring her back just to make her into a trope. Insane jealous ex-girlfriend. I was glad to see her in Mr. & Mrs. X as not being a total psycho.

Totally agree with this comment. Belle has so much potential as an awesome character but has been largely under-used and underdeveloped to play the psycho ex who can't just move on. When she tries, it turns out the guy's a traitor and/or she likes the guy purely because he reminds her of Gambit. She deserves much better, imo, and I was also happy to see Mr. & Mrs. X moving towards a more nuanced approach.

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2021, 02:50:40 PM »

Totally agree with this comment. Belle has so much potential as an awesome character but has been largely under-used and underdeveloped to play the psycho ex who can't just move on. When she tries, it turns out the guy's a traitor and/or she likes the guy purely because he reminds her of Gambit. She deserves much better, imo, and I was also happy to see Mr. & Mrs. X moving towards a more nuanced approach.

It's a shame. Right where Mr. and Mrs. X ended is where I wish it began. It was a great set up for another story line.

Offline Varia

• Journeyman
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2021, 03:05:52 PM »
Very much so. Hopefully, they'll delve deeper into it in the future.

I feel that written well, Belle could easily carry her own on-going series.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2021, 09:51:05 AM »
Very much so. Hopefully, they'll delve deeper into it in the future.

Uhhmmm... I don't think she has enough fan-recognition to carry a mini-series, much less than ongoing. Anything is possible and if Disney/Marvel moves forward with a Gambit-based TV show and let's say the character builds a following - then, yeah. I agree it'd be possible. Though I still doubt it'd do better than Ms. Marvel, Iron Heart, and the like. At the moment, the only people that would recognize the name "Bella Donna" are hardcore X-Men readers and maybe a couple of diehard New Warriors fans that remember her involvement with Night Thrasher.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline hairlesscat

• Master Thief
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2021, 12:09:30 PM »
I mean, I guess she technically could. But I think some characters are meant to just be amazing secondary characters and there's nothing wrong with that. I think she is one of those. I'm not really interested in seeing her as anything else tbh. Not everyone needs a spinoff.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 12:20:51 PM by hairlesscat »

Offline Varia

• Journeyman
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2021, 02:24:29 PM »
Yeah, I definitely agree that right now there's not enough of a base to make it successful. I was talking, specifically, about if she was given that build-up. There's a lot they could do with her role in the Guilds and everything surrounding that. It's about the potential that's there. I didn't mean they should just whip out her own solo title immediately. I can see how that wasn't clear. Sorry about that.

I also agree that not every character needs their own title. However, I do think that there could be enough to validate it for Belle, if done right.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 02:37:41 PM by Varia »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2021, 07:48:55 AM »
Just my fanart that I created for Gambit and Rogue week Celebration.
Have a nice day All! :gambit:

Offline winterwolfen

• X-Man Mentor
  • Winterwolfen greets you
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2021, 05:59:13 PM »
My God that fanart is crazy good purplevit  :smitten:
What's up with this gg forum, too many talanted artists puts my skill to shame, yhea my human anatomy skills suck 😂

Offline Varia

• Journeyman
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2021, 01:00:03 AM »
Love it, purplevit!  ;D

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2021, 03:18:43 AM »
Thank you, friends! Happy that you liked :gambit:

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2021, 03:48:00 PM »
I need to do a new Gambit piece.

In the meantime, my most recent crossover fan art...technically has Gambit in it.

https://imgur.com/gallery/7jasMl7
\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2021, 08:09:41 PM »
Just catching up on this thread as haven't been paying attention lately.  As far as Gambit romances, wanted to chime in a bit.  Gambit and Frenzy seemed like a perfect rebound relationship that sadly Carey and Gage did not explore because they wanted Gambit to remain a chump for Rogue.  She was the blowing off steam type and if Carey had any actual interest in Gambit, it probably would have made more sense for Frenzy and Gambit to be a thing during the Age of X storyline instead of Frenzy and Cyclops.  That would have made the connection with Gambit stronger and a bit more natural given they did in fact have a past.

I am probably in the minority of liking Liu's Gambit and Gambit and Cece.  After the disaster that was Romy, I found it a nice change of pace.  I can see why some found it boring but quite frankly boring is good coming off of a hugely toxic relationship.  So I thought that whole phase in Gambit's story arc made sense as someone trying to gain a bit of normalcy after such a tumultuous relationship not just with she who shall not be named but the X-men as a whole. Having said that, in my headcanon, Gambit and Cece eventually decide to end it and remain friends as Cece and Gambit realize that a nice normal life simply isn't in the cards for him.

Gambit and Polaris would have made sense to me coming off of Cece.  She being more of a free spirit, a touch crazy and pretty much Gambit's type.  I would have loved to see what could have developed if X-factor had continued and especially with Quicksilver's reaction to the relationship.  Sadly as with most Gambit writers, PAD never really went all on on the character.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

NicoPony

« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2021, 09:21:30 PM »

it probably would have made more sense for Frenzy and Gambit to be a thing during the Age of X storyline instead of Frenzy and Cyclops.  That would have made the connection with Gambit stronger and a bit more natural given they did in fact have a past.

The sad thing is that having a romance with Frenzy is the ONLY interesting thing Cyclops has ever done. Let's not rob the man of the high point of his life. But yes, all for some rebound action for our man and Frenzy.

Having said that, in my headcanon, Gambit and Cece eventually decide to end it and remain friends as Cece and Gambit realize that a nice normal life simply isn't in the cards for him.

This is my head-canon as well. God forbid Gambit be with someone who doesn't abuse him. I liked seeing her at the engagement party. She is def Team Gambit. She made him feel respected, he made her feel sexy.

Gambit and Polaris would have made sense to me coming off of Cece.  She being more of a free spirit, a touch crazy and pretty much Gambit's type.  I would have loved to see what could have developed if X-factor had continued and especially with Quicksilver's reaction to the relationship.  Sadly as with most Gambit writers, PAD never really went all on on the character.

Other than PAD's misstep writing that Gambit wouldn't care about a kid if she weren't a mutant (Georgia, snore), he treated his characters well. I liked the human-ness of that book, the weird sex situations, and Gambit was almost always in a state of undress. Polaris was learning from her teammates, listening to them. Gambit was the voice of reason. Pietro was acting like a person (unlike his father) and it was leading to a respect between Gambit/Quicksilver. Sad it just got cut off. Gambolaris could have totally been a thing. Still on board with Danger/Gambit too. He gave her all the feels.