Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2021  (Read 61818 times)

Offline hairlesscat

• Master Thief
Re: Gambit Watch 2021
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2021, 03:17:36 AM »
I feel like a lot of Gambit fans during that time had an "anyone but Rogue" mentality. Which I get on some level. But I just didn't think that would be the basis of sound storytelling or an interesting relationship. Which reminds me of my biggest problem with current books: I miss the days when the X-writers did research about characters. I miss when they cared about continuity. Now it seems like they just throw things to a wall to see what sticks.  :(

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2021, 01:22:09 PM »
I feel like a lot of Gambit fans during that time had an "anyone but Rogue" mentality. Which I get on some level. But I just didn't think that would be the basis of sound storytelling or an interesting relationship. Which reminds me of my biggest problem with current books: I miss the days when the X-writers did research about characters. I miss when they cared about continuity. Now it seems like they just throw things to a wall to see what sticks.  :(

A big gripe of mine. Writers who aren't even fans who don't know characters, their history, interpersonal relationships, "voices", personalities, etc, who write whatever they want after doing a cursory WIKI search on a character. One reason X-Men were so awesome back in the day was Claremont wrote them for nearly 2 decades....ONE person who could make sure continuity was maintained, and characters acted well, in character. I remember this one comic where Gambit is walking through the halls among students, and Wolverine just out of nowhere calls him out for being a member of the Marauders, and all but accuses him of being a cowardly, traitorous piece of s***...this, after years of them working together and being allies, during Liu's road trip run as well if I recall (in a separate title). It was clear the author had NO concept of their interpersonal dynamic, just read "Gambit, bad, lead mutant massacre party, m'kay, GOT IT!" Ugh. Such hot garbage.
\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2021, 01:36:26 PM »
I think the mishandling of characters with large amount of built history is the problem with today's books. The current crop don't care what the history is, only the story they want to tell. It doesn't matter that it doesn't work for the characters.

Even back in the day when there were more pages, some missteps took place, my example would the total lack of reaction from Rogue when leaving Gambit to die in Antarctica. It wasn't address til the fans complained, then only a panel of two devoted because even back then 1990's, writers just wanted to use the characters for the story and not deal with the history. It was a start to the decline of character driving stories.

Fabian, Claremont and maybe a few others understood the history and respected it and worked with it while telling a story. That is what is lacking now. IMO.

My favorite things with Wolverine and Gambit is they had a rapport, I never understood fans who thought the only characters who had anything in relationship wise to Gambit was Rogue and Storm. What? That doesn't even make sense based on the history.

Wolverine and Gambit have gone on trips before, how is it possible to get the bromance between them so wrong. They've stolen the batmobile together for eff sakes. They went a trip to Madripoor and while dubious in trust, they still had each others back. Even PAD handled it better than most and he was terrible with Gambit.

It's so sad, I used to love this hobby so much.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 01:38:50 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2021, 02:09:11 AM »

It is less about anyone but Rogue and more about after dating a certain type for so long, some people do end up going in a different direction even if only briefly.  So Gambit tends to fall for really headstrong, powerful and dangerous women.  Not just Rogue but Bella, Candra, Lili, Frenzy, etc.  Even if he strayed from that path it was normally because he represented the bad boy for someone else like say the Nun in his solo series.  Cece was completely different because she was not his type and she wasnt interested in him because he was the bad boy.  Made him feel less an archtype and more like a real person that wanted a break from all the drama that had been his life up to that point.

In my headcanon, Gambit seeing that he could have a normal drama free relationship with someone provided the basis for him to find his way back to Rogue and develop a bit of normalcy with her to balance the drama.  More importantly CeCe showed him he had worth beyond just being the bad boy or someone's guilty pleasure which allowed him to demand Rogue see beyond his faults.  Previously it always felt like he didnt think he was worthy of more.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 02:23:26 AM by remydat »
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2021, 05:28:37 PM »
I think the mishandling of characters with large amount of built history is the problem with today's books. The current crop don't care what the history is, only the story they want to tell. It doesn't matter that it doesn't work for the characters.

Even back in the day when there were more pages, some missteps took place, my example would the total lack of reaction from Rogue when leaving Gambit to die in Antarctica. It wasn't address til the fans complained, then only a panel of two devoted because even back then 1990's, writers just wanted to use the characters for the story and not deal with the history. It was a start to the decline of character driving stories.

Fabian, Claremont and maybe a few others understood the history and respected it and worked with it while telling a story. That is what is lacking now. IMO.

My favorite things with Wolverine and Gambit is they had a rapport, I never understood fans who thought the only characters who had anything in relationship wise to Gambit was Rogue and Storm. What? That doesn't even make sense based on the history.

Wolverine and Gambit have gone on trips before, how is it possible to get the bromance between them so wrong. They've stolen the batmobile together for eff sakes. They went a trip to Madripoor and while dubious in trust, they still had each others back. Even PAD handled it better than most and he was terrible with Gambit.

Amen!

Gambit and Wolverine has a great bromance.

Gambit has varying degrees of chemistry/history/rapport with

X23
Beast
Psylocke
Marrow
Iceman
Bishop
Xavier
Banshee
and Cannonball.

He's hardly "just Rogue and Storm".
\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"

Offline Icefanatic

• Master Thief
    • A Better Place - A Fandom Community Forum
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2021, 02:08:45 PM »

They want to ignore or actively rewrite the past, to create a different present, for a future no one is going to care about.

There were always mistakes made by even by otherwise good writers, and writers who didn't know the substance of the characters they were writing. It usually happened during a fill-in arc or a guest appearance, and even then you'd have editors trying to massage it or other writers quickly moving to fix it. That doesn't happen much anymore because the ones that don't know or don't care - or both - are now in the majority. And those writers are often given lengthy runs so their failings become the new norm for the characters.

I'm currently reading four monthlies from Marvel: Thor, Immortal Hulk, Daredevil and X-Men Legends(and for Minis the Iron Fist - Heart of the Dragon mini). I'd recommend them all.  I'm on-and-of with Fantastic Four. That's the most Marvel I have read in years yet I still find most of their line outright unreadable including most of the X-Books. The X-Books I'd most like to be enjoying, Excalibur and Marauders, are generally crap. I've heard good things about some books like Kid Cable but I don't really care that much for the kid version and the book was just cancelled anyway so... I am just over the Hickman reinvention of the X-Men and their history. I feel like the X-Men are stuck in some alternate reality that keeps being passed off as the real thing. Too much feels wrong and the bad thing is it's not even good wrong but crap wrong. It's sad that the only X-Book I care about is rehashing stories from the 80's and 90's.

Sigh.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2021, 05:07:53 PM »
It's all about culture. It starts from the top of the pile and leaks down. The current Head editor came from Star Wars by way of internal restructure - it's not like he asked for the change. He also came in just the X-Men were getting out from under the Inhumans, Death of X, etc. Books aren't pitched anymore. A group of editors (most like-minded) get together come up with some nonsense and assign/ask someone to write. I just today found out that Children of the Atom foolishness isn't even Vita Ayala's brain-child. A could editors (not writers) cooked up most of it and just put her on the project. For the life of me, I still don't know what the book is about!

At Marvel, it's 'story above continuity'. They are afraid of scaring off potential new readers (lol) by having their universe steeped in years of lore... you know, like how comic books have worked since the 60s. So, this is what you get. A bunch of new writers that aren't tasked with thoroughly researching their subjects beyond the last run or two. Since most of the new writers of the past 5 years are all basically the same flavor - the characters behave differently than they have until the point their new personality is the new norm. Which means they all sound and act the same, or how their most popular iteration from movies or TV do. It's how we ended up clumsy Gambit, clown Sinister, good-guy Daken, anti-hero Apocalypse, whacky Pyro, or X-Men that are somehow cool with being called Marauders...
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2021, 03:28:26 PM »
Hey Don,
NicoPony wanted me to move her comments to the Xmen Reboot thread, its on page 1 but she had quoted you from here.
Anyway - heads up.

FYI All, the site uses the date method for threads.
Back to your regularly scheduled thread.   :gambit:

Offline winterwolfen

• X-Man Mentor
  • Winterwolfen greets you
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2021, 06:20:54 PM »
As someone that's not into comics, I haven't been this invested into it since I discovered they made Apocalypse an anti-hero so not all is bad, it's not like he was a developed character to begin with. But I wish they could make a good gambit story

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2021, 03:57:21 PM »
Don't we all.  :gambit:

But I wish they could make a good gambit story
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 03:59:02 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline hairlesscat

• Master Thief
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2021, 08:42:48 PM »
You know... love 'em or hate 'em, I think we can all agree it's ridiculous that we still haven't seen Romy on screen even after 20 years of X-movies. They are easily one of the most popular pairings in the X-Men universe and the Marvel Comic Universe in general.

It is truly mind-boggling to me how much we didn't get to see in these movies. It really shows the general lack of respect Fox had for the source material. They just kinda took the characters and did whatever they wanted with them.

Sorry for the random rant. Just re-watched X3 and had to get that off my chest.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 09:05:00 PM by hairlesscat »

Offline RomeoSvengali

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2021, 11:42:27 PM »
https://vimeo.com/49613968
-Romeo Svengali (Monican swordsman)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2021, 05:08:11 AM »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2021, 09:22:09 AM »

Probably not true but just sharing it.

Channing Tatum Reportedly Eyed To Play Multiverse Gambit In MCU

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/channing-tatum-reportedly-eyed-play-multiverse-gambit-mcu/

Tatum could yet gets his chance to throw some superpowered playing cards.

According to our intel, one idea being discussed behind the scenes at Marvel is to have Gambit show up in one of the upcoming multiversal blockbusters, in what would presumably be a combination of fan service and laying more groundwork for the X-Men. Technically, seeing as the actor hasn’t yet played the character, Feige could also realistically hold off for a couple of years and have Tatum as the canonical Gambit whenever mutants are integrated into the mythology instead. But for now, we’ll have to wait and see what happens.

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2021, 10:30:25 AM »
Anthony Mackie is a fan of Gambit

https://www.reddit.com/r/xmen/comments/mgd5er/anthony_mackie_is_an_xmen_stan/

During an interview for a movie Mackie did with Jamie Dornan, he said that Dornan looks like Gambit and should play the character. So nice to know he is an actual Gambit fan. 

As to the rumor, it's very unlikely (the source isn't reliable, either). Still, it’s cool to see Gambit coming up in rumors again.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 10:31:59 AM by andresa »