Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2021  (Read 61829 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Gambit Watch 2021
« Reply #150 on: April 28, 2021, 05:28:03 PM »
Again. It was just a rumor Rictor was getting a solo using the title. And then this image came out. You can see it under "Classified"

"THE DR" are clear at the top.

Not a definite, but it's something to look at.

Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

NicoPony

« Reply #151 on: April 28, 2021, 06:07:49 PM »
I thought it said “The Trial” under Classified?

Both are stupid names, lol.

What’s under the question mark? Is there a reason the artist would give it away?

Don, where did you get info about Rictor solo book? I can't find it anywhere.

I hope Excalibur will end soon but it probably won't end till issue 25 or 27 that will be October or December.

Don't care for Gala but Gambit's look is boring. Probably just a wallpaper look for a wallpaper character that won't have even a line in a main story.

The best we can hope for is for Gambit to not look stupid, so in that case, the new ‘fit is a success.

Colossus tho...his ensemble went over in a big, big way. If ya catch my drift. Kate isnt the only kitty to sit up and say: prrmeow?

Is MODOK a rip off of Krang from TMNT, or the other way around? I’d love more animated Marvel, bc if I have to watch the Teen Titans Go series again with my daughter, imma lose my damn mind. MODOK isn’t going to interest her. Looking for Groot to draw her in.

Also this just popped upon Marvels official podcast: https://open.spotify.com/episode/7KdMYN9ofeqMT6E3yMeDVA?si=7s6G2n-KTF-A1YoDN1D3_w
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 06:47:39 PM by NicoPony »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #152 on: April 29, 2021, 07:00:46 AM »
First letter is not D. Probably T or E. The Trial fits better then The Druid. But it still can end up a Rictor solo just with a different name.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #153 on: April 29, 2021, 09:17:16 AM »
"The Trial" does fit better. I agree.

But I hope it does spell the end of the Excalibur book seeing as Howard is moving onto X-Corp. She could be doing two books but I wouldn't understand why with so many writers I'm sure are interested in writing Marvel's newest pet project. I have the same hopes for Duggan. Currently he's writing Marauders and Cable. Cable is ending - and while there's been no news about Marauders, we know he's writing X-Men.

My hope is that Gambit is moved to Marauders and the book gets a new creative team. I don't know if the above are books being added to the line, or taking over what's already there. If it's the former, then what? 3 or 4 writers will have 2 books each in one franchise?

For me, it's move Gambit or limbo. I agree with you guys and I've said as much before. Gambit would work better in Hellions or X-Force but I don't want him turned into a running death gag under a writer that will undoubtedly take advantage of it.

However, I doubt his death would be as simple as those on the Hellions who either don't have a lot of people concerned about them or have family that have 100% bought into the Resurrection protocols.

Rogue, hasn't seemed to buy in yet, neither has Gambit just with how they've carried themselves in conversations about Krakoa and it's future. Either one of them dying would have huge implications for the other spouse even with resurrection I don't think any writer wants to deal with. And I don't think anyone want to read more than once.

Similar to the idea of Rogue getting pregnant. It works as a conversation within a subplot, but it actually being a "thing"... Sounds like a lot to deal with in an action comic at this point.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #154 on: April 29, 2021, 10:34:55 AM »

Is MODOK a rip off of Krang from TMNT, or the other way around?

MODOK was created in 1967 by Lee/Kirby. I don't know much about Krang's history, but TMNT were around since the 80s, so I'd say MODOK's got a good 20 years ahead of him.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #155 on: April 29, 2021, 10:35:05 AM »
March Sales Estimates
10) Demon Days X-Men 1
21) Children of the Atom 1
23) X-Men 19
35) X-Force 18
37) Deadpool Nerdy 30 (one-shot)
40) X-Men Legends 2
43) Wolverine Black White Blood 4
61) SWORD 4
67) Hellions 10
75) Excalibur 19
84) X-Factor 8
88) Cable 9

Cable is cancelled already with #12. Not sure if X-Factor is cancelled but it is not solicited for July.
Excalibur is next X book with the worst sales so hopefully #22 on July will start it`s last arc and after it we would never see Howard writing Gambit again.

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #156 on: April 29, 2021, 10:47:11 AM »
March Sales Estimates
10) Demon Days X-Men 1
21) Children of the Atom 1
23) X-Men 19
35) X-Force 18
37) Deadpool Nerdy 30 (one-shot)
40) X-Men Legends 2
43) Wolverine Black White Blood 4
61) SWORD 4
67) Hellions 10
75) Excalibur 19
84) X-Factor 8
88) Cable 9

Cable is cancelled already with #12. Not sure if X-Factor is cancelled but it is not solicited for July.
Excalibur is next X book with the worst sales so hopefully #22 on July will start it`s last arc and after it we would never see Howard writing Gambit again.

So they're pretty much back to the same old numbers as pre-HOX-POX.

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #157 on: April 29, 2021, 11:04:19 AM »
"The Trial" does fit better. I agree.

But I hope it does spell the end of the Excalibur book seeing as Howard is moving onto X-Corp. She could be doing two books but I wouldn't understand why with so many writers I'm sure are interested in writing Marvel's newest pet project. I have the same hopes for Duggan. Currently he's writing Marauders and Cable. Cable is ending - and while there's been no news about Marauders, we know he's writing X-Men.

My hope is that Gambit is moved to Marauders and the book gets a new creative team. I don't know if the above are books being added to the line, or taking over what's already there. If it's the former, then what? 3 or 4 writers will have 2 books each in one franchise?

For me, it's move Gambit or limbo. I agree with you guys and I've said as much before. Gambit would work better in Hellions or X-Force but I don't want him turned into a running death gag under a writer that will undoubtedly take advantage of it.

However, I doubt his death would be as simple as those on the Hellions who either don't have a lot of people concerned about them or have family that have 100% bought into the Resurrection protocols.

Rogue, hasn't seemed to buy in yet, neither has Gambit just with how they've carried themselves in conversations about Krakoa and it's future. Either one of them dying would have huge implications for the other spouse even with resurrection I don't think any writer wants to deal with. And I don't think anyone want to read more than once.

Similar to the idea of Rogue getting pregnant. It works as a conversation within a subplot, but it actually being a "thing"... Sounds like a lot to deal with in an action comic at this point.

'Marauders' as a concept suits Gambit best, but Duggan won't write him, like you said, it'll have to be under a new creative team. That said, Marauders' sales aren't great, so if Duggan leaves that book, it'll probably end with him.

With Gambit remaining in Excalibur post-Gala, I have absolutely no idea what his purpose is.

Personally, they should do something with Gambit and Sinister, but that's far too much to hope for. Gambit to me is the Black Widow/Hawkeye of the X-Universe, espionage is more his setting, not fantasy.

NicoPony

« Reply #158 on: April 29, 2021, 12:03:13 PM »

Would Gambit getting resurrected return him to his original factory settings? If so, please go ahead and Egg him. New Sun nuke Krakoa.

[/size]

Rogue won’t get pregnant once she realizes she is gay for Polaris. When Gambit says: WTF, wife?  They can say he’s a white cis male homophobe and send him packing as an bigoted dinosaur. Or if he asks if he can play too, they’ll say he’s a perv.

Egg him I say! Have Cerebro glitch, and Gambit wakes up with no memory of Rogue, Apocalypse, or Clown Pants.

Personally, they should do something with Gambit and Sinister, but that's far too much to hope for. Gambit to me is the Black Widow/Hawkeye of the X-Universe, espionage is more his setting, not fantasy.

Has Gambit met the crazy new Sinister yet? I am dying to know his take. My theory is that Sinister is like Michael Keaton’s character Number Four in Multiplicity. He’s a copy of a copy of a copy.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #159 on: April 29, 2021, 03:06:01 PM »

Would Gambit getting resurrected return him to his original factory settings? If so, please go ahead and Egg him. New Sun nuke Krakoa.

Rogue won’t get pregnant once she realizes she is gay for Polaris. When Gambit says: WTF, wife?  They can say he’s a white cis male homophobe and send him packing as an bigoted dinosaur. Or if he asks if he can play too, they’ll say he’s a perv.

Egg him I say! Have Cerebro glitch, and Gambit wakes up with no memory of Rogue, Apocalypse, or Clown Pants.

Has Gambit met the crazy new Sinister yet? I am dying to know his take. My theory is that Sinister is like Michael Keaton’s character Number Four in Multiplicity. He’s a copy of a copy of a copy.

That was an excellent post... however, I haven't thought, about clown pants in years. Thanks for that...

I don't know how a rebirthed Gambit would work... Cyclops has been resurrected at least once, but perhaps twice, and still doesn't have control over his optic blast.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #160 on: April 29, 2021, 03:10:59 PM »
Just FYI of who's writing what, if those books don't end

Ayala - Children of the Atom & New Mutants
Duggan - Cable, Mauraders, & X-Men
Williams - X-Factor & "The ??? "
Howard -Excalibur & X-Corp
Percy - Wolverine & X-Force

Hickman - ???
Spurrier - Way of X
Wells - Hellions
Ewing - SWORD

What is that clown White (X-Men Group Editor) doing over there?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 03:12:50 PM by DonPriceTag »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #161 on: April 29, 2021, 05:12:29 PM »
I forgot about the clown pants too. It actually took me a few minutes to remember the issue. Oh man, that was a horrible story. That writer clearly did not like Gambit or he would not come across as perv.
I'll take a reset for Gambit. His character has been assassinated, nobody recognizes the character.
I don't know what J.White is doing. How is TH allowed to write the tripe she does.

I'm so done with writer dislike of the character.

NicoPony

« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2021, 06:05:56 PM »

That was an excellent post... however, I haven't thought, about clown pants in years. Thanks for that...

I don't know how a rebirthed Gambit would work... Cyclops has been resurrected at least once, but perhaps twice, and still doesn't have control over his optic blast.

This just confirms what I’ve always believed and that Cyclops was born brain damaged.

Offline andrei

• Guild Member
« Reply #163 on: May 03, 2021, 09:56:14 AM »
Problabily wont go further, but I reached Donny Crates about making a Gambit book. I still have things to do after Birthright but wanted him to know we could do it

Offline andrei

• Guild Member
« Reply #164 on: May 03, 2021, 01:15:17 PM »
And I get the idea of making him sort of spy, but... it seens it aint working for him either. I remember of hearing Kirkman saying spies never do really well in comics. So, my bet would be to move Gambit from Mutants for some time. Realyy would like see him more in touch with Sons of Midnight or any Magic team on the corner... X writers hate him and maybe giving him a new home, something like a Devil May Cry could work better and leave Mutants for years. Damn I would like to see him into new things, even a romance with Wanda feels better if take the point of being an outcast among the outcasts(xmen)