Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2021  (Read 61841 times)

NicoPony

Re: Gambit Watch 2021
« Reply #285 on: July 01, 2021, 10:24:48 AM »
Got no evidence bit Wells seems the type of writer that would use Gambit very well. But despite his misuse, I think Gambit is still protected to a point. They can humiliate the character and annoy us all they like but I think they'll only go so far - as we saw in Deadpool V Gambit. As bad of a story as it was, it could have been worse.

So I didn't realize this was a thing. I have a high tolerance for painful reading (I *almost* made it to the end of the second Stephanie Meyers book, after all). Now I'll have something to read. Pray for me.

What else did I miss?

I don’t hate krakoa, but I don’t really like it either. I was more than done with the extinction stories, so change of pace isn’t bad. Don’t like the whole ‘humans are supposed to go extinct and mutants are unquestioned next step in evolution (because that’s never been a science thing, the ‘next step in evolution) and the magic plants… how do mutants have so much more power/control now? Magic plants, that make medicine and food and houses and computers and more land and they teleport too…

SO MANY QUESTIONS. Most of them are: Hunh? What? and when it comes to Gambit, "WHY???"

Does Gambit have a place on Fantasy Island, Mutant Edition? They threw Sabretooth in The Pit because they didn't have a reason to write a remorseless psychopath serial murderer on Krakoa. They threw Gambit into a marriage with cats because they don't need a street-savvy King of Thieves. Hey, good news for Gambit though. If he still has a raging case of baby-rabies, he can go pick up a floor-baby from Stacy X. There are magic flower babies over in Way of X. Krakoa Provides. And now it has it's very own version of Cabbage Patch Kids.

Magneto has in fact been recognized as a Saint now. Here he is as the blessed Virgin Mary, based on Michelangelo's Peita.
 Ave Magneta. 
Spoiler image:
https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1410335662369345542/photo/1

Wanda died for their sins. Her boobs are still perky as ever though.

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #286 on: July 02, 2021, 11:52:31 AM »
Well, if you remember he terribleLegacy cover a few years back, where Magneto was literally god, Marvel restraining themselves here. He’s only a saint  and Wanda is the lord and savior.. of perkiness. ;)

Edit: stupid autocorrect changed saint to staging. Why autocorrect, just why?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 11:15:41 AM by anya »

Offline Varia

• Journeyman
« Reply #287 on: July 02, 2021, 03:05:14 PM »

Magneto has in fact been recognized as a Saint now. Here he is as the blessed Virgin Mary, based on Michelangelo's Peita.
 Ave Magneta. 
Spoiler image:
https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1410335662369345542/photo/1

I have no clue what needs to be put under a spoiler tag or not! So, please let me know if I need to edit this or just... edit it accordingly.

*Facepalm* Holy mother of... nevermind...

It's not even "evocative" of the pieta, because that would imply they were going for any sense of nuance or artistic subtlety. It's just straight up copying.

Also... aside from Wanda's amazing support, is that a frilly lining around the crotch and legs of Wanda's costume or is that just some weirdly drawn musculature? Either way glad to know that being a corpse doesn't mean you can't grace the cover of an '80s Romance.

Otherwise, the technical skill is good.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 04:15:10 PM by Varia »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #288 on: July 02, 2021, 03:53:15 PM »
I think its fine. That image has been floating at the regular 'comic' sites.
In other news, Xmen #1 will have 24+ covers.

https://www.gamesradar.com/x-men-1-2021/

NicoPony

« Reply #289 on: July 03, 2021, 09:39:59 AM »

Also... aside from Wanda's amazing support, is that a frilly lining around the crotch and legs of Wanda's costume or is that just some weirdly drawn musculature? Either way glad to know that being a corpse doesn't mean you can't grace the cover of an '80s Romance.

Otherwise, the technical skill is good.

;D ;D ;D

It’s either her panties or she needs a bikini wax. What it is evocative of are those photos of Ivanka Trump sitting on her father’s lap. I cannot unsee it.

In other news, Xmen #1 will have 24+ covers.

I think they said there will be a page with Gambit on it. The question is, will he be packing Rogue a lunch for her day at work? Doing the dishes? Taking cute photos of his cats for his Insta feed? Place your bets, folks.

I will likely buy it. I have to know what Polaris is up to. Whatever the default digital comic cover is, that’ll be my version.

A more accurate depiction of Magneto as the humorless stuck-up stick in the mud who makes everything about himself, as opposed to the fanfic Magneto we’ve been getting since Carey’s run:
https://twitter.com/akira1love/status/1410908003201658885?s=20
The hat, the expression, Lorna blowing him off, it’s hilarious.

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #290 on: July 04, 2021, 11:17:27 AM »
That is much better. ;). And I think it’s more like forty covers, it’s ridiculous.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #291 on: July 04, 2021, 01:48:17 PM »
That is much better. ;) . And I think it’s more like forty covers, it’s ridiculous.
They have to be doing a 1:1 ratio. Order the books and get what you get as it were.  Gambit might be on one of them.  :D

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #292 on: July 04, 2021, 02:46:27 PM »
Rumor has it that AiPT article all confirms that Jonathan Hickman isn't steering the X-Men boat and hasn't been for a long while now... Which makes a lot of sense with what we've been given.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

NicoPony

« Reply #293 on: July 05, 2021, 07:15:53 PM »
I’m not entirely sure what it means that Hickman isn’t at the helm. Did he dictate story beats and then the rest of the x-office follows a general outline?

Today’s AIPT just seems to confirm that Excalibur is just a throw-away inconsequential book orbiting the greater storyline. They have a whole new planet now, why would anyone care about the UK Brexit-ing Krakoa? They should have just given the UK delegation peace fingers and been like, aight, later. Until Rictor goes and unilaterally creates an act of war and annexes part of England. Repercussions being what, now? Oh no, there goes Xavier’s chances of replacing Putin to recreate the G8. What a pointless book. The interviewee could barely muster the energy to mention that Pete Wisdom was murdered. He was all: oh yeah, that guy. Characters are sent to Excalibur to die slow painful deaths. Wisdom got off easy.

Well, saw a spoiler image of Mystique approaching Daken. I hope she starts recruiting people to her cause. With Gabby’s death, Daken would have cause to get her resurrected, despite the No Clones resurrection rule. Maybe she’ll approach Gambit with some kind of ‘work with me for Rogue’ incentive. Like, help me get Rogue’s mommy Destiny back.

Or it’ll be about Doctor Doom now, with Gambit saying: we can’t trust him, no one listening to him, Rictor whining about Apocalypse, aimlessly following a useless Betsy, and for… reasons…? A Baby Dragon. Jubilee will…exist.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #294 on: July 06, 2021, 08:28:33 AM »
I’m not entirely sure what it means that Hickman isn’t at the helm. Did he dictate story beats and then the rest of the x-office follows a general outline?

Actually, yeah. He got the Claremont deal where he directed (not write) all the stories starting with HoX/PoX. Even called the "Head of X". I was one of the people wondering why they were wandering away from the original story. Now I know why. The guy put in charge wasn't in charge which is probably why X of Swords got so many sweeping changes or why Planet Sized X-Men was obviously pasted into Hellfire Gala. If you look at Planet Sized you'll notice characters that are supposed to be at the Gala in completely different clothes and acting like they've been there for fours - yet are active at the party at the same time.

Look at how this started in 2019 to where it all is now. Doesnt make much sense. The only books following the narrative is his X-Men title, the New Mutants when he was writing, and SWORD.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 08:32:11 AM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

NicoPony

« Reply #295 on: July 08, 2021, 02:19:56 PM »
YOU GUYS!!! GAMBIT IS ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING!!

https://comic-watch.com/news/sneak-peek-exclusive-preview-of-marvels-excalibur-22

Catching a bullet? Blowing it up? Stealing something from Otherworld??

Offline andrei

• Guild Member
« Reply #296 on: July 08, 2021, 03:22:30 PM »
Okay... now he is talking third person too?!! oh damn...

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #297 on: July 08, 2021, 04:11:43 PM »
Interesting. Gambit talking third person though is a huge turn off for me. I'm not buying books now anyway, I guess it doesn't matter. LOL  :crazy2:

edits: At least he's doing something.  :gambit:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 04:17:01 PM by Nekobaghira »

NicoPony

« Reply #298 on: July 08, 2021, 06:02:08 PM »

Okay... now he is talking third person too?!! oh damn...

mebbe he's having an out of body experience. re: DEATH.

or mebbe the only place you can find Gambit not speaking in third person is in fanfic. we've come full circle.

Offline andrei

• Guild Member
« Reply #299 on: July 09, 2021, 12:43:31 PM »
well... this is pretty curious... lets see how it turns out. I was about to say kind of the same, if lead us to some charcater development with a hidden/supressed persona, could work having a third person line