Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2021  (Read 61891 times)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
Re: Gambit Watch 2021
« Reply #375 on: July 30, 2021, 01:39:51 AM »
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 08:27:28 AM by NicoPony »

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #376 on: July 30, 2021, 03:02:01 AM »
Gambit in X-Men 2 preview.

https://www.superherohype.com/comics/502089-exclusive-preview-x-men-2#2

Damn, that small description of events has me nervous.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 09:07:45 AM by Nekobaghira »

NicoPony

« Reply #377 on: July 30, 2021, 08:34:27 AM »

Damn, that small description of events has me nervous.

I think I fixed the font-size problem...

Sadly, that's not the first time I've seen people liking and deafening statutory rape pairings, especially these days. I don't see that many people referencing Evolution, at least to the places I go to, and the fact that the writers wanted to kill off Jean and force Scott and Rogue together, despite the fact the two had next to no real connection or similarities, really showed the god awful writing that show had.

Different strokes...I do think Evolution was the best depiction of Rogue I've ever seen, and the only one I like.

Speaking of...so the preview.

Rogue can't risk her flawless reputation, other than her porking the Master of Magnetism (on trial) and her rubbing of mouth-holes with Wade Wilson (murderer 1000x over), by letting it be known her card-sharp husband is gambling in the basement. But we hold Gambit to higher standards because he is that much more of a man.

Please let them send him off to GameWorld. He would fit in so well there!

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #378 on: July 30, 2021, 12:40:47 PM »
Gambit is playing poker with a villain, grey character and hero. It feets his characterization perfectly.It seems his A+X story where he was playing poker with Thing is not forgotten.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 01:44:41 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Varia

• Journeyman
« Reply #379 on: July 30, 2021, 12:46:14 PM »

Different strokes...I do think Evolution was the best depiction of Rogue I've ever seen, and the only one I like.

Different strokes, indeed; I also really enjoyed Evolution's take on Rogue.

However, I wasn't a fan of the whole Rogue/Scott/Jean triangle to begin with. It felt too cliched, what with the loner Goth girl frustrated and envious over the popular guy pining after the popular girl. At most, I felt like Rogue attached to Scott because he was nice to her in a way she hadn't really experienced much in her life before. Then there are the projected insecurities onto Jean... And the many layers go on and on from there.

The crush seemed to kind of fade as she matured, found her footing on the team and developed more stable relationships. IMHO, that kind of growth made Evolution a much more complex show than the usual. Them likely ending up together in the epilogue felt like it undermined that arc a bit and was more of a personal fantasy-pairing for the creators than it was a natural conclusion.
Rogue can't risk her flawless reputation, other than her porking the Master of Magnetism (on trial) and her rubbing of mouth-holes with Wade Wilson (murderer 1000x over), by letting it be known her card-sharp husband is gambling in the basement. But we hold Gambit to higher standards because he is that much more of a man.

Yes to this whole thing.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 12:50:23 AM by Varia »

Offline hairlesscat

• Master Thief
« Reply #380 on: August 02, 2021, 06:18:04 PM »
I enjoyed Evolution Rogue as well. But TAS Rogue will probably always be my ideal media depiction of Rogue.

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #381 on: August 03, 2021, 01:11:45 PM »
Gambit in X-Men 2 preview.

https://www.superherohype.com/comics/502089-exclusive-preview-x-men-2#2

That'll be probably be the only page he'll be in for this issue, and I guess that's fine considering that he's not part of the main cast, so I understand that. But Duggan's got his voice right, he's pretty much in character here.

NicoPony

« Reply #382 on: August 03, 2021, 06:16:55 PM »

That'll be probably be the only page he'll be in for this issue, and I guess that's fine considering that he's not part of the main cast, so I understand that. But Duggan's got his voice right, he's pretty much in character here.

I know, thank god, no third person. I also love how he’s dressed. Two panels of Gambit in X-Men and he’s more in character than 20 issues of Excalibur.

I enjoyed Evolution Rogue as well. But TAS Rogue will probably always be my ideal media depiction of Rogue.

But the screaming… I couldn’t deal with the screaming. Hoping to intro my kid to X-men via Evolution, bc the female characters aren’t always falling down and fainting.

Re: love triangles. Any teen drama is going to have them. At least Rogue/Scott is different. And the Wolverine/Jean angle wouldn’t work bc …gross. Evo Wolvie is like the Keeper of the Keys at Xavier’s. It’d be like Hermione making out with Hagrid.

Evo suffers from lack of Gambit, that’s my complaint.

Is Wolverine and the X-men worth watching?

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #383 on: August 03, 2021, 07:38:27 PM »
RE: XTAS
It wasn't just Rogue screaming, Jean did a lot of that as well. It was annoying.

RE: Xmen 2
Nice nod to continuity ... Thing and Gambit playing cards. Rogue chewing at Gambit ... bleh.

Offline Varia

• Journeyman
« Reply #384 on: August 03, 2021, 07:47:06 PM »

Re: love triangles. Any teen drama is going to have them. At least Rogue/Scott is different. And the Wolverine/Jean angle wouldn’t work bc …gross. Evo Wolvie is like the Keeper of the Keys at Xavier’s. It’d be like Hermione making out with Hagrid.

Love triangles aren't inherently bad. As with most storybuilding tools, it's how they're used. It was the nature of that triangle that struck me as cliche. But, as you said previously; different strokes  :) . I still love the show and its representation of Rogue is one of the best. I love the XTAS one, too, for different reasons.

Wolverine/Jean would have been extremely weird in that show. It was kind of nice to not have to deal with it in general...

Obviously agreed about the lack of Gambit.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 08:41:49 PM by Varia »

Offline Varia

• Journeyman
« Reply #385 on: August 03, 2021, 07:50:54 PM »
RE: XTAS
It wasn't just Rogue screaming, Jean did a lot of that as well. It was annoying.

*Cough* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzc5VHL1bPM

Don't necessarily agree with the title that she was useless, but this video sums up one of the major reasons I could never really get into her on that show and preferred Rogue.

edit: formatting, content intact.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 01:11:44 AM by Nekobaghira »

NicoPony

« Reply #386 on: August 03, 2021, 09:07:22 PM »
Jean got done dirty, following in the footsteps of token female characters in the 80s shows that came before. Do you know how annoying it was as a child to pretend to be Cheetara and faint repeatedly while all my friends got to be Panthro and kick ass with nunchucks? Jean = New Cheetara. Her costume was also an abomination. But as a girl, take what you can get. Batman TAS was the superior show when it came to female characters. Cyke kinda got beat with the jerk-stick, setting up years of fans believing him to be a prissy stuck-up dick. If you’re going to hate him, hate him for leaving his wife and kid, cheating on his second wife, and having sex on her grave with Emma Frost. Wolverine wasn’t so much a rebel as just a freakin’ mean person. Seriously, so mean.

I think I internalized the XTAS Gambit/Jean cooking scene where they both annoy one another and that’s why I like them so much together.

Offline Varia

• Journeyman
« Reply #387 on: August 03, 2021, 09:12:13 PM »
I think I internalized the XTAS Gambit/Jean cooking scene where they both annoy one another and that’s why I like them so much together.

LOL! That was a great scene.

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #388 on: August 04, 2021, 12:24:41 AM »
Jean got done dirty, following in the footsteps of token female characters in the 80s shows that came before. Do you know how annoying it was as a child to pretend to be Cheetara and faint repeatedly while all my friends got to be Panthro and kick ass with nunchucks? Jean = New Cheetara. Her costume was also an abomination. But as a girl, take what you can get. Batman TAS was the superior show when it came to female characters. Cyke kinda got beat with the jerk-stick, setting up years of fans believing him to be a prissy stuck-up dick. If you’re going to hate him, hate him for leaving his wife and kid, cheating on his second wife, and having sex on her grave with Emma Frost. Wolverine wasn’t so much a rebel as just a freakin’ mean person. Seriously, so mean.

I'm going to disagree a bit here. Cheetara was certainly not the only Thundercat to often become compromised. Tigra was also compromised alot and even Panthro found himself in those positions. Not to mention Wily Kit, Wily Kat, and Snarf. The idea was to have Lion-o have to deal with his responsibilities and grow into being Lord of the Thundercats. He has to be as good as all of them combined and be the leader. That's pretty much the whole idea of the show.

As far as XMTAS goes, it was typically the most powerful mutants and the psychics that would lose control of their powers and/or their mind. Jean screams and faints a lot but it's typically when her mind is overwhelmed. It happens a lot to Xavier too. Rogue screams and struggles with her powers a lot as well but, like I said it's usually due to her overwhelmed psyche or her her powers being torn between the person she absorbed and herself. Sometimes, because of her durability she is physically being pushed to her breaking point. These are completely legitimate reasons to scream in my opinion and I've never seen an issue with that. Storm sometimes struggles but come on, she is immensely powerful and can control the weather. I would expect things to become erratic when she is pushing her powers. All stuff that I loved about the show.

My favorite Rogue is easily the one from XTAS. First off, Lenore Zann has an amazing voice.  But I love this version of Rogue. She's one of the physically strongest members of the team and also one of the most empathic and sensitive. And her not being able to touch anyone brings it's usual drama but in this show it's juxtaposed to her outgoing personality and charm. That comes off as a bit of a wall she's put up. We see there is a touch of melancholy and a sense of longing with her. Gambit is the character that simply penetrates that wall. These two were just a perfect match for each other at this time. It was true in the comics and this show. And you just root for the two of them. But it's not even like that's all she's about. She has a few of her own interesting stories and has a ton of her own great moments on this show. So counting all the cartoons/shows and the movies, XTAS is by far my favorite Rogue. This version of Rogue is the most endearing and exciting in my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 12:31:36 AM by wantutosigh »

NicoPony

« Reply #389 on: August 04, 2021, 08:20:40 AM »
I won’t argue with my of that, my friend. Tigra was always first to get hypnotized, drugged, what have you. It became a bit ridiculous. Panthro is still the awesomest, I will not be swayed.

XTAS brought me to the comics (for better or worse) so it will always hold a special place in my heart. The groan-worthy scenes are part of its charm. My criticism, as always, comes from a place of affection. (Unless you’re magneto, in which case, f that guy).

Btw, there’s a Buzzfeed test on which XTAS character you are. I got Rogue…and now I need to go to therapy and revisit all my life choices. Pity my poor husband.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ladym12/which-xman-are-you-a2rsswqay8?fbclid=IwAR2Qxy_SMbak6ZqP5FBn6qOkLy5F4YAZfmha9YlemzgZ_g9xHWIK1iKdiKM

Got the next X-Men this morning. I need to re-read it, but I’m happy enough to go along for the ride. There isn’t anything more than what we saw of Gambit in the preview, except Synch synching with Jean’s powers and saying he can hear Gambit and Rogue arguing in the basement.  :P
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 08:23:05 AM by NicoPony »