Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2021  (Read 61794 times)

NicoPony

Re: Gambit Watch 2021
« Reply #450 on: August 31, 2021, 07:46:11 PM »
you can tell the hickman era is over if they're launching events that don't focus solely on magneto and emma frost. i'm actually glad for wolverine, he's done jack-crap for two years (something about fighting plant people). over-saturation has made me hate some of these characters sucking up all the oxygen of every book they're in.

the nice thing about solo titles is that they are easily ignored. not like crossover events which is just me committing to being confused for a couple months because i refuse to buy any other book except the one i want to buy. like, i still don't know what happened in messiah complex. or x-cutioner's song for that matter. you think i'm gonna buy x-force? screw that.

hopeful that if there is a gambit book it is taking place in the present. maybe these are his "plans" he mentioned in excalibur. if he's putzing about NYC as we saw in x-men, then he's not traipsing around krakoa. i did figure out it says "cut to them detonating bomb" in cc's script. unclear who "they" are, could be gambit and his companion. plus we have the deadpool issue coming out next week, and he's at a pool party. fun!

i think i finally figured out how to make sense of excalibur. just pretend gambit is brian braddock, rogue is meggan, jubliee/shogo combined are their creepily precocious elf baby. i can't explain rictor tho. his existence is still a mystery to me.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #451 on: August 31, 2021, 08:39:20 PM »
2 new event books announced for January 2022.
X of lives of Wolverine and X of deathes of Wolverine.

Not a joke. I thought it was a joke first.

It will be a weekly series written by Percy like House of X and Powers of X.

So it seems that new #1 titles will start on March and April.

Nothing about those titles interest me. Coming from a wolverine fan and die hard overall X-Men fan. We've seen this. How is that going to be interesting. I know what they thought. "Everyone likes Wolverine! Let's make a whole @$$ event around him! Yeah they'll buy that!"
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #452 on: August 31, 2021, 08:44:05 PM »
you can tell the hickman era is over if they're launching events that don't focus solely on magneto and emma frost. i'm actually glad for wolverine, he's done jack-crap for two years (something about fighting plant people). over-saturation has made me hate some of these characters sucking up all the oxygen of every book they're in.

the nice thing about solo titles is that they are easily ignored. not like crossover events which is just me committing to being confused for a couple months because i refuse to buy any other book except the one i want to buy. like, i still don't know what happened in messiah complex. or x-cutioner's song for that matter. you think i'm gonna buy x-force? screw that.

hopeful that if there is a gambit book it is taking place in the present. maybe these are his "plans" he mentioned in excalibur. if he's putzing about NYC as we saw in x-men, then he's not traipsing around krakoa. i did figure out it says "cut to them detonating bomb" in cc's script. unclear who "they" are, could be gambit and his companion. plus we have the deadpool issue coming out next week, and he's at a pool party. fun!

i think i finally figured out how to make sense of excalibur. just pretend gambit is brian braddock, rogue is meggan, jubliee/shogo combined are their creepily precocious elf baby. i can't explain rictor tho. his existence is still a mystery to me.

Rumor has it that Hickman's era ended some time ago. They'd moved on and started developing their own ideas which how Hellfire Gala became a thing and why Planet Sized read like it existed all on its own (characters out of place, dressed differently, not referencing thing that just happened at the party etc). You can tell Hickman guided Duggan through the story and even what parts of X of Swords was his. I think it's obvious that whole event was reworked halfway through. The promo art had zero to do with what happened. They scrubbed entire solicit publishing schedules to make that work
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #453 on: September 01, 2021, 01:48:26 AM »

I think they are Gambit and deaged Storm. Would love solo to be in present but it probably takes place in past.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #454 on: September 01, 2021, 05:33:08 AM »

Nothing about those titles interest me. Coming from a wolverine fan and die hard overall X-Men fan. We've seen this. How is that going to be interesting. I know what they thought. "Everyone likes Wolverine! Let's make a whole @$$ event around him! Yeah they'll buy that!"
Not interested in this too.

I think it will be similar to Days of Future Past movie. Wolverine`s mind will be sent in 10 alt Wolverine bodies from 10 Moira`s lives. One by one we will see how all X-Men and Wolverine will be killed in all 10 lives so at the end Logan will find a way how to stop death cycle and start Second Krakoa age.[/size]So I am sure that most X-Men will appear as alternative cameos but probably just to be killed in some brutal way for shocking moments.[/color]

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #455 on: September 01, 2021, 05:39:11 AM »

Rumor has it that Hickman's era ended some time ago. They'd moved on and started developing their own ideas which how Hellfire Gala became a thing and why Planet Sized read like it existed all on its own (characters out of place, dressed differently, not referencing thing that just happened at the party etc). You can tell Hickman guided Duggan through the story and even what parts of X of Swords was his. I think it's obvious that whole event was reworked halfway through. The promo art had zero to do with what happened. They scrubbed entire solicit publishing schedules to make that work

I doubt it. It seems Hickman helped to create next Line of X books for near years.
For Gambit fans it is the worst thing that can happen because it means again No real plans for Gambit. Maximum that we can get is a supporting role in some team book like Excalibur and hoping that new writer don`t hate him as Howard and may at least do something with him.

I am excited for Claremont`s project but I am sure that it won`t be in Krakoa`s age. Claremont hates it and he is right. He told that most character development, friends of characters were killed with Krakoa`s new age. And look at Gambit who is now live for some stupid reason in Braddock`s lighthouse and have Nothing to add to his character on Krakoa except of 3 cats. Even his wife don`t live with him. Pure trash.

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #456 on: September 01, 2021, 09:05:08 AM »
I'd love for this story to take place in the present, but definitely not on Krakoa (I loathe this current era), anywhere else, have Gambit do his own stuff, go on solo missions, anything other than what we have now.

NicoPony

« Reply #457 on: September 01, 2021, 10:05:11 AM »
Not interested in this too.
I think it will be similar to Days of Future Past movie. Wolverine`s mind will be sent in 10 alt Wolverine bodies from 10 Moira`s lives. One by one we will see how all X-Men and Wolverine will be killed in all 10 lives so at the end Logan will find a way how to stop death cycle and start Second Krakoa age.So I am sure that most X-Men will appear as alternative cameos but probably just to be killed in some brutal way for shocking moments.

I can’t imagine anything more tedious than that.

“If people liked it with Moira, what would happen if we did it with Wolvie?” Don’t we have enough iterations of Logan?

This is a little tedious too:
https://anchor.fm/cerebrocast/episodes/Episode-049-Remy-LeBeau-feat--Chris-Robinson-e16o8kh

It has some moments.

Maybe not a solo-solo. Remy’s at his best as a mentor or friend. He needs someone to play off of. My favorite parts of the past stories was Gambit/Ororo, Gambit/Courier, Gambit/Fence, Gambit/X-23, Gambit/Wolvie. Also Gambit/Quicksilver because that was great. Just a whole page of them slapping one another in the face.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #458 on: September 01, 2021, 04:01:18 PM »
Now I don't think that Gambit story is for current X-Men Legends. #10 -12 will probably be by Claremont but about Pryde and Storm.All other from #1 cover already got their stories.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 04:23:48 PM by purplevit »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #459 on: September 02, 2021, 11:45:24 AM »

I doubt it. It seems Hickman helped to create next Line of X books for near years.

Oh, no he was the Head of X and planned out EVERYTHING. But he just said in an interview that when it was time to move on (Im assuming some after X of Swords or before), the rest of the office was happy to stay in act 1 of the 3 that he planned. Several months ago on the same site in a different interview the current X-Men editor (Jordan White) said himself that they've "moved on" from Hickman's original plan. The X-Men writers want to stay in this era for the time being instead of evolving the story as Hickman stated. What we're seeing is Duggan, Ayala, Howard, Percy etc. sorta doing their own thing - which is why things seem disjointed and rutterless. They aren't telling the same narrative we started in HoX/PoX.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #460 on: September 03, 2021, 05:13:32 AM »

Oh, no he was the Head of X and planned out EVERYTHING. But he just said in an interview that when it was time to move on (Im assuming some after X of Swords or before), the rest of the office was happy to stay in act 1 of the 3 that he planned. Several months ago on the same site in a different interview the current X-Men editor (Jordan White) said himself that they've "moved on" from Hickman's original plan. The X-Men writers want to stay in this era for the time being instead of evolving the story as Hickman stated. What we're seeing is Duggan, Ayala, Howard, Percy etc. sorta doing their own thing - which is why things seem disjointed and rutterless. They aren't telling the same narrative we started in HoX/PoX.

Not narrative that bothers me but lead characters that are in focus. I sincerely doubt that Gambit would get any lead project in Krakoa ear while Hickman is still there. If Hickman helped to create future books than it will be the same few characters as lead focus.

NicoPony

« Reply #461 on: September 03, 2021, 08:19:09 AM »
During Inferno, I am hoping some of the secrets/lies come to light, the shenanigans are questioned, and the Council is deposed. Though now that they want to stay in this “first act”, I fear that won’t happen. Seeing Psylocke headlining the previews is a good sign, I hope she imposes some Jacobin-like revolutionary justice and clears a few heads from the council table.

Maybe there will be a war of secession on the island? An exodus of the disenfranchised? A power vacuum that brings Apocalypse back? A power shift from those with omega-level powers and money to those mutants who more accurately represent the real Krakoan people (maybe one repping clones’ rights)?

I could see Gambit just saying: “y’all is crazy,” grabbing the cat carrier, and peacing out.

Offline hairlesscat

• Master Thief
« Reply #462 on: September 04, 2021, 06:36:41 PM »

I can’t imagine anything more tedious than that.

“If people liked it with Moira, what would happen if we did it with Wolvie?” Don’t we have enough iterations of Logan?

This is a little tedious too:
https://anchor.fm/cerebrocast/episodes/Episode-049-Remy-LeBeau-feat--Chris-Robinson-e16o8kh

It has some moments.

Maybe not a solo-solo. Remy’s at his best as a mentor or friend. He needs someone to play off of. My favorite parts of the past stories was Gambit/Ororo, Gambit/Courier, Gambit/Fence, Gambit/X-23, Gambit/Wolvie. Also Gambit/Quicksilver because that was great. Just a whole page of them slapping one another in the face.
Gambit has a million and one cool story arcs to choose from, and this guest chooses the Foxx one?! Go on somewhere with that nonsense!

NicoPony

« Reply #463 on: September 06, 2021, 02:08:25 PM »
Gambit has a million and one cool story arcs to choose from, and this guest chooses the Foxx one?! Go on somewhere with that nonsense!

LOL, that guy was so out of it, I think he might've been partaking of the aromatic herb during that interview.

The unbearable and super not-funny accent parts on behalf of the host aside, the idea of Gambit needing an author to come up with a Treatise on Remy LeBeau is food for thought.

Remy's motivations haven't been beyond being Rogue's loveseat (I decided he's no longer a coat rack, and he's moved past armchair, and has now graduated to loveseat/small sofa because he's so cosy). Otherwise, he's been showing up to a) steal stuff because he can or b) help friends when he can.

Anyone want to make a treatise on Gambit? A whole new world for Remy that moves beyond Guild/Rogue. What's his motivation? Who is his foil? Who is his buddy? What is his quest? What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Comparing Gambit to Catwoman is apt. Before I fell in love with X-Men on Saturday morning there was Batman: The Animated Series after school. Loved Selina Kyle, I even named my cat Isis after her's on the show. I loved her motivation was stealing from rich people and corporations because they were destroying the environment and mean to animals. Remy needs a reason to put his skills to good use. Randomly showing up with a dumbass sidekick while wearing a beanie is not ideal.

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #464 on: September 06, 2021, 04:12:23 PM »

Remy needs a reason to put his skills to good use. Randomly showing up with a dumbass sidekick while wearing a beanie is not ideal.

You mean the sidekick wearing the black & white horizontal stripes with a mask who's about to steal your quarter pounder?  Such stealth...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 02:45:57 PM by Sparta »