Author Topic: X-Summit  (Read 2755 times)

NicoPony

X-Summit
« on: September 25, 2021, 03:38:03 PM »
Leah Williams put this photo up of the virtual X-Summit. Some sleuth IDed the blue blob as Kieron Gillen. The middle blob looks like a woman’s arm and decor choice to me, but someone guessed at Claremont. I don’t think CC would be rocking his guns out like that. ;) Anyway, Gillen’s Sinister was smashing and he likes Gambit. Here’s hoping.

https://twitter.com/mymonsterischic/status/1441511518311522310?s=20

Howard is still there in the upper corner, I think…

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
Re: X-Summit
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 06:45:29 PM »
Gillen is cool. Glad that he is back.

I just hope that Gambit is free from Howard. She tortured us enough.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 06:48:45 PM »
Green smile is probably just Victor LaValle who is writing a Sabretooth mini.

NicoPony

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 07:33:15 PM »
No Zeb…

:'( :'( :'(

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 08:31:32 AM »
 Zeb got Amazing Spider-Man. Happy for him. I really hope that Gillen will write cool X-Men team and Gambit is on his roster.I remembered old interview with Gillen, Carey and Liu. And I think that Gillen answers about Gambit were the most right and extensive. Carey and Liu had more limited view of Gambit IMO.Found that old interview only on Gambit

Gazette https://gambitgazette.tumblr.com/pos...x-perts-gambit

edit: silly site formatting, content is exactly the same, just no 'size' or color' nonsense.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 11:14:33 AM by Nekobaghira »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 08:31:54 AM »
Wanted to post  this Old Interview here but it is converting it only into the wall of text.
So use link in previous post if someone is interested to read it.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 08:34:22 AM by purplevit »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 12:24:14 PM »
I don't know who Zeb is, I'm so out of it with comic books.

NicoPony

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 08:04:14 AM »
I don't know who Zeb is, I'm so out of it with comic books.

Zeb Wells is writing Hellions. Given his sense of humor, will probably fit well on a Spidey book.

I’m scared Excalibur will get a reboot and Tini will turn her sights on Gambit. No. Stay away from him. You’ve done enough damage.

I imagine the Hellions will be disbanded or at least lose Psylocke as their handler. Gambit could fill a role there. I could see Gill on a book like that.

I remember that interview…I think Gill had the least interesting things to say. Remember being disappointed that Carey “got” Gambit, but that version was never realized on panel post Legacy. Instead we got Gambit as Rogue’s emotional support animal, where he’s been stuck since whenever she’s around. I’d prefer Deathbit over that shiz.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 02:55:55 PM »
Instead we got Gambit as Rogue’s emotional support animal, where he’s been stuck since whenever she’s around. I’d prefer Deathbit over that shiz.

You and your damned wonderful quotes...
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2021, 03:05:05 PM »
LOL what the $@$# is so diverse about that coalition of writers? Ayala? Whew. Blow me away with your inclusion Marvel. I'm not saying "diversity" is the key to function - but for all their blustering, this is pretty run-of-the-mill in terms of representation. Marvel Twitter lets these clowns get away with a lot of BS. Once or twice a year someone other than Ayala gets to do a one-shot or something with Black Panther or Ms. Marvel, and they get to tout themselves as industry leaders of forward-thinkers. The @#@$ outta here...
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

NicoPony

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2021, 03:24:37 PM »
If they get a writer who is a person of color, a woman, and queer all at once, they win Diversity BINGO! All the boxes are checked!

Middle blob on the Hollywood Squares X-Writer edition … KT??? It looks like a woman’s arm to me.

Is the CC Gambit book gonna be on that new digital service? I sincerely hope not.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2021, 10:03:45 AM »

Gripstir post from CBR

Chris Claremont just did a YouTube podcast. Not a huge channel but Claremont got a lot of time to just talk

He does talk about Gambit briefly at the 1:01:03 mark. The question he got was like 5 minutes before but he talked more about Kitty being planned as the core of the future or something. But if you want to hear the whole question gotta go back a few minutes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e0h3KKRjcxw

I just like it for the fact he confirms a few facts of his original plan.

>Gambit is a simulacrum essentially. And the reason he is like he is, is because a 7 year old Sinister imagines him this way.

>Also I like the fact he said the connection between Sinister and Scott is they were at the orphanage together and would protect each other.

>But the fact I like the most is that he confirms Gambit was meant as a better fighter than wolverine hand to hand.

Offline andrei

• Guild Member
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2021, 02:38:25 PM »
I really dig that as a story line for Gambit! No doubt. The only thing that seens weird is the romance with Kitty... but I trust the guy a ton

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2021, 02:57:52 PM »
Gripstir post from CBR

Chris Claremont just did a YouTube podcast. Not a huge channel but Claremont got a lot of time to just talk

He does talk about Gambit briefly at the 1:01:03 mark. The question he got was like 5 minutes before but he talked more about Kitty being planned as the core of the future or something. But if you want to hear the whole question gotta go back a few minutes

>Gambit is a simulacrum essentially. And the reason he is like he is, is because a 7 year old Sinister imagines him this way.

>Also I like the fact he said the connection between Sinister and Scott is they were at the orphanage together and would protect each other.

>But the fact I like the most is that he confirms Gambit was meant as a better fighter than wolverine hand to hand.

I don't know if I like this story. Does this mean there is no guilds, or childhood in the streets and all these things we've come to love? I don't know. Also, the 7 year old comment was how a 7 year old Sinister envisions himself. Which is why he looks so ridiculous. It's the way a 7 year old sees an impressive/intimidating villain. Gambit is supposed to be the way Sinister actually looks as a 20 something year old.

Again, I might be glad this didn't happen. Unless there was a way to keep the origin we all know but add this into it somehow.

Offline killphil

• Master Thief
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2021, 07:43:50 PM »
Gripstir post from CBR

I'm not sure I believe Claremont entirely. Or at the very least, he could be remembering wrong, but alot of what he says seems contradictory to what was actually happening in the books at that time.

For instance, saying Gambit was sent in to kill Kitty. But she was over in Excalibur at that time, and that book never had anything to do with the main X-books until well after Claremont left. I would think Gambit should show up in Excalibur if that was the actual intent.
Also, he says Gambit was meant to be better than Wolverine and that he beat Wolvy every time. But in the issue Gambit does beat Wolverine, it's established that Gambit wins on account of Wolverine's poor health and that Gambit took advantage of Wolverine being distracted in the fight. Wolverine beats Gambit in UXM 280 which was written by Claremont, and only 7 issues later, so Gambit certainly wasn't beating Wolverine all the time, every time under Claremont's pen.
I don't know if I like this story. Does this mean there is no guilds, or childhood in the streets and all these things we've come to love?
None of that would have existed because all that back story was created for Gambit after Claremont left the book. Pretty sure those ideas were created by Jim Lee, and it was the conflict of ideas such as this and others that drove Claremont from the book.