Author Topic: ATTN: Lebeau Library  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
ATTN: Lebeau Library
« on: October 31, 2021, 04:07:23 AM »
I want to move the Lebeau Library to AO3. (Archive Of Our Own) - get it? LOL   
https://archiveofourown.org/

The Issues - Good, Bad or Indifferent:

1. New people to Xmen fanfic - Gamibt specific. (AO3 is a little lacking in Xmen stuff.) It would greatly add to their category. And new readers to great old stories. :)

2. I have to contact everyone. I'm not thrilled with it but its a requirement as its already implied with the site. And Yes, everyone should agree or so I hope. Help here would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if I can auto ask. All agreed the first time with fanfiction.net.

3. Once the Library gets on AO3 ... it will be easier for submissions .. since we don't take any on the site. 

4. My time limit will be long on response but flexible in loading stories. I feel that if I spend more time it will benefit us, thought a few helpers would be great (if you volunteer to help, I got Gambit goodies to reward with.)

I got a lot of stuff to do and the LL won't show up until late 2022 on AO3. That is if the LL is loaded up in a timely manor. (Timely doesn't mean immediate, it means reasonable loading time and person time.) They'll announce and all that, which is cool and the material will get new eyes. :)

5. Anyone who objects to this ... say so now. All of it, including authors, they don't have to join, all they have to do is tell us. The LL doesn't need to go anywhere but if I die, the only place it lives beyond this site ... is on fanfiction.net. I know morbid but I don't want to lose stories. :)

Finally, any help to move the LL to AO3 would be greatly appreciated.

Neko

I know its a daunting task but worthy. :)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
Re: ATTN: Lebeau Library
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 09:26:46 AM »
How I can help?

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 11:12:08 AM »
I would need to name you as a moderator which isn't a problem and then help load the material into a dropbox. I have the link which I would send in a dm or pm.

Let me get all the details ironed out, they've asked a lot of questions for terms of service and whatnot which is great but I need to think of some of it to make sure its the right thing for the Library.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 10:06:30 AM »
Of course, I will help with everything I can ;)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2022, 01:07:36 PM »
Talks are going well and Open Doors (AO3) has been very supportive, enough so that they'll help with moving the library. This pleases me because I was feeling overwhelmed with the project. I want the library there for diversity reasons (adding to the Xmen content) and if I pass on or have to close this place it won't be lost forever, even though it does live at Fanfiction.net.  AO3 gets more traffic and it would be good to get new eyes on terrific stories.
I wanted to update as I progress. Does it mean it leaves here? No. As long as I'm around anyway.

Neko.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 05:49:25 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2022, 02:09:55 PM »
Okay, good news the tech team will take the library. Should be very soon. I'll let you know what they tell me. Yay! New eyes for the Lebeau Library. They will announce and I'll let all of you know.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2022, 04:24:37 PM »
Progress today! I've answered all questions. No new submissions for now. We will need to team up via twitter to get the word out.

I'll use gambit guilds twitter too, nothing like looking for passwords. LOL

Yes, authors can opt out or abandon works or ask to have their material removed.

That's it for now, I'll keep folks in the loop. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 12:34:57 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2022, 08:36:59 PM »
Okay, everything OTW/AO3 needs is done. When they're ready - if we - as a group, tweet, tumblr or what not to get the word out, would be greatly helpful
I'll post in this thread when we're ready. :) The archive is still closed until there is interest.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 12:43:22 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2022, 12:08:47 PM »
NicoPony is helping me and we are tagging. Taking some time but we're getting somewhere. LOL
It's been awhile, I open the library to see what the tags should be. LOL
Anyway - will let you know when it will move, might take longer than anticipated but worth the effort.
If Nico and I decide its too much, we'll let you know. :)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2022, 07:21:32 PM »
End of the month - November 2022 - LL will get new readers via AO3 (OTW). Theoretically. LOL
https://www.transformativeworks.org/

"Open Doors" is the spot where fandoms can submit their libraries, which is what I've done. FYI, its completely volunteer, they do fund raising drives to take care of the workers and tech. They are incredibly successful with that. We get the LL there, I feel like it will be taken care of well.

I appreciate others to make it work. It's on its way, or we'll see. :) I don't count on anything until I see results but I'm optimistic. 

Now - some will want to not have their works in the fandom (say no. It is alright.) It's alright. I want this to expand the fandom with new eyes as it were, there is so much good story telling.

Stories can be abandoned or deleted by the original writers. Abandoned means other folks can pick it up and work on it. Deleted, well ... its still here and at ff.net. Valid email addresses may cause an issue but, nothing can be done with that issue.

Worst case, no one wants to share their story for whatever reason. - And refuses. That is fine, absolutely nothing wrong with that decision. I hope the creativity is enticing. (Kudo's and what not. Meaning the readers like the stories.) You can turn off comments too. Take the kudos and go as it were. LOL

It's here til I die. And the entire library is on ff.net. It's not lost forever, I wanted a place to encourage new stories and get new readers.

And with AO3, I hope to inspire new stories, for Xmen fanfic. Lebeau Library is no longer taking submissions, however that is a setting I can change if the need arises. Otherwise, I'm good with the library as it is and its hopeful influence.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 03:00:43 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2022, 09:27:54 AM »
It's been announced! Please - all fanfic writers agree. It will be great to have the entire LeBeau Library on A03.
Not sure how long the 'news' will be posted but it is cool none the less. C'mon, new eyes on older great stories will be fantastic!

« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 09:29:52 AM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2022, 10:55:12 AM »
The official announcement. I re-post due to not knowing who visits where and when:
The LeBeau Library of the Gambit Guild forum, an X-Men fanfiction archive focusing on the character Remy LeBeau or "Gambit", is being imported to the Archive of Our Own (AO3).
In this post: Background explanationThe LeBeau Library, as part of The Gambit Guild, was active between 2007 and 2010. While it is still online for now, the archivist Neko was concerned about the stories being lost if she is no longer able to maintain the website.
The purpose of the Open Doors Committee’s Online Archive Rescue Project is to assist moderators of archives to incorporate the fanworks from those archives into the Archive of Our Own. Open Doors works with moderators to import their archives when the moderators lack the funds, time, or other resources to continue to maintain their archives independently. It is extremely important to Open Doors that we work in collaboration with moderators who want to import their archives and that we fully credit creators, giving them as much control as possible over their fanworks. Open Doors will be working with Neko to import the LeBeau Library into a separate, searchable collection on the Archive of Our Own. As part of preserving the archive in its entirety, all fiction currently in the LeBeau Library will be hosted on the OTW's servers, and embedded in their own AO3 work pages.
We will begin importing works from the LeBeau Library to the AO3 no sooner than January. However, the import may not take place for several months or even years, depending on the size and complexity of the archive. Creators are always welcome to import their own works and add them to the collection in the meantime. What does this mean for creators who have work(s) on the LeBeau Library?We will send an import notification to the email address we have for each creator. We'll do our best to check for an existing copy of any works before importing. If we find a copy already on the AO3, we will invite it to the collection instead of importing it. All works archived on behalf of a creator will include their name in the byline or the summary of the work.
All imported works will be set to be viewable only by logged-in AO3 users. Once you claim your works, you can make them publicly-viewable if you choose. After 30 days, all unclaimed imported works will be made visible to all visitors. We will then permanently close down the site.
Please contact Open Doors with your LeBeau Library or Gambit Guild pseud(s) and email address(es), if:
  • You'd like us to import your works, but you need the notification sent to a different email address than you used on the original archive.
  • You already have an AO3 account and have imported your works already yourself.
  • You’d like to import your works yourself (including if you don’t have an AO3 account yet).
  • You would NOT like your works moved to the AO3.
  • You are happy for us to preserve your works on the AO3, but would like us to remove your name.
  • You have any other questions we can help you with.
Please include the name of the archive in the subject heading of your email. If you no longer have access to the email account associated with your LeBeau Library or Gambit Guild account, please contact Open Doors and we'll help you out. (If you've posted the works elsewhere, or have an easy way to verify that they're yours, that's great; if not, we will work with the LeBeau Library mod to confirm your claims.)
Please see the Open Doors Website for instructions on: If you still have questions...If you have further questions, visit the Open Doors FAQ, or contact the Open Doors committee.
We'd also love it if fans could help us preserve the story of the LeBeau Library or Gambit Guild on Fanlore. If you're new to wiki editing, no worries! Check out the new visitor portal, or ask the Fanlore Gardeners for tips.
We're excited to be able to help preserve the LeBeau Library!
- The Open Doors team and Neko
 Commenting on this post will be disabled in 14 days, on 4 December. If you have any questions, concerns, or comments regarding this import after that date, please contact Open Doors.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 01:37:24 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2022, 01:40:50 PM »
The site is fighting me. LOL
I will send out the emails as requested by Open Doors, we'll see how it goes. Yes, I expect bounce backs and non-agreement. I also hope, many writers agree, it would be a new 'life' as it were. We will save what we can and let the rest go. Apparently the Way-Back machine still works or something, not for me when last checked but whatever.

edit: I recently learned we might have an issue with the static pages. I'll look into it but not concerned because there are several ways to view it. Still, I'll see what the issue is and fix if it can be done. :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 01:51:22 PM by Nekobaghira »