Author Topic: Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors  (Read 3623 times)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors
« on: October 11, 2018, 03:42:25 PM »
Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors is an animated movie. Features Miss Marvel, Squirrel Girl, Patriot, etc.

Teen Avengers with some Inhumans in the mix.
I tried watching it today, I only got an hour in and had to bail. I thought Disney would be better at some of this animated stuff. In fact, I expect better from Disney. LOL

It was a little clunky or choppy in places.

If the characterization of Squirrel Girl is how she is in the books, wow .... let me say, she has to be an annoying character.  They went overboard with the "nuts" dialogue for her. "oh, macadamia" .... what??? I didn't stick around for more dialogue like for her, it was a tad cringe worthy.

The animation is okay at best, not as smooth as it could be but not horrendous either.

Anyone else see this?

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
Re: Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 04:30:11 PM »
I completely forgot about this. I was never too interested because I figured it was going to be for more of a younger audience anyways and I'm just not a fan of Squirrel Girl in general (despite the fact that Milana Vayntrub is voicing her).

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 11:29:53 PM »
Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors is an animated movie. Features Miss Marvel, Squirrel Girl, Patriot, etc.

Teen Avengers with some Inhumans in the mix.
I tried watching it today, I only got an hour in and had to bail. I thought Disney would be better at some of this animated stuff. In fact, I expect better from Disney. LOL

It was a little clunky or choppy in places.

If the characterization of Squirrel Girl is how she is in the books, wow .... let me say, she has to be an annoying character.  They went overboard with the "nuts" dialogue for her. "oh, macadamia" .... what??? I didn't stick around for more dialogue like for her, it was a tad cringe worthy.

The animation is okay at best, not as smooth as it could be but not horrendous either.

Anyone else see this?

Yeah, the "creative directors" aka the real head of Marvel Comics, Sana, vision of Marvel's future and how their characters will be interpreted. Very soft, and Disney-fied. She's trying her hardest to appeal to that audience at the same time push her narative. The shoe is definitely not for comic readers, at least not the ones that currently exist. The show is basically made up of her all-star cast pet projects. It's hard to listen to, much less watch.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 11:37:38 AM »
The pet characters was not lost on me with animated movie. Certainly Miss Marvel was the lead but story wise, she did things that doesn't work. I know I'm picking on her but all the characters did things that make you think? You can't be that naive or dumb can you? The answer is - yes, yes you can.

You can only do so much angst before its a draining or fatiguing type thing and teen angst is probably the worst to endure. It needs some balance with other elements. While I think the movie tried with Kamala's mother providing insight and comfort but  by the time you got there, you were worn out.

There was a silly thing that happened, I know why it was done but .... a shakes you head moment. I will use spoiler tags:

Miss Marvel saves a baby, her mother could have gone with her. Miss Marvel was supersized, her hand was big enough to carry two people. Instead, she takes the baby and Patriot saves the mother. They reunite later. Miss Marvel says get everyone out repeatedly. What the heck is Patriot waiting for a special invitation? It didn't make sense other than to show another character being a hero.
And that was just one thing, I didn't stick around for anymore.

Not my cup of tea.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 01:32:49 PM by Nekobaghira »