Author Topic: Xmen'97 (new animated series)  (Read 7252 times)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
Xmen'97 (new animated series)
« on: November 12, 2021, 11:45:18 AM »
Marvel Entertainment has announced a new Xmen animated series for 2023 on Disney+
It's titled "Xmen'97"

CBR reporting the original voice over actors for the new series, which means Chris Potter thus Gambit will be in it.
https://www.cbr.com/x-men-animated-series-disney-plus-revival/

https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/this-week-in-marvel-exclusive-interview-x-men-97-animated-series-hits-disney-plus/

What do you think?

Update; added another link from Marvel's site. Hopefully confirming the intended use of the original voice over actors. Chris Potter's name is in both articles. Bodes well for Gambit and his fans.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 03:56:04 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
Re: Xmen'97 (new animated series)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2021, 12:38:36 PM »
Finally some good news in regards to Gambit. He's in the main roster which means he'll be in most episodes (with hopefully a few spotlight eps along the way).
The comics were giving us nothing and will continue to disappoint. The animated series has a far larger audience and this can help propel him to the MCU.

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2021, 01:06:42 PM »
If this is a continuation then I absolutely love it. The original voice actors coming back is icing on the cake. As long as it's Chris Potter and not Tony Daniels gor Gambit. And it would be hard to hear anyone voicing Rogue opposite Chris Potter other then Lenore Zahn. I really hope the original writers/creators are coming back for this. That's a big deal and they are important. Better not be new diversity writers who wanna use this show as a vehicle to lecture the audience about real world modern day social justice.

NicoPony

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 03:34:22 PM »

yesssss.

Cast: That includes Cal Dodd, Lenore Zann, George Buza, Alison Sealy-Smith, Chris Potter, Catherine Disher, Adrian Hough, and Christopher Britton. However, while some of these voice actors will reprise their original roles, some will be taking on new characters in X-Men '97.
X-Men '97 will also add some new members to the voice cast. Those include Jennifer Hale, Anniwaa Buachie, Ray Chase, Matthew Waterson, JP Karliak, Holly Chou, Jeff Bennett, and AJ LoCascio.
We know some voice actors passed away, I think Cyke and Magneto? And Jubilee's actress said she wanted her role to go to an actor of Asian descent. Is that maybe Holly Chou?

I'm hoping...like a mashup of New Mutants/Gen X introduced with the older core cast as mentors/teachers.

Offline Miss Misery

• X-Man Teacher
  • "Stay conscious and true to yourself."
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2021, 07:48:16 PM »
Good to hear about Alyson's view on having an Asian actress do Jubilee.

As with the Claremont series I just found out about, I am cautiously optimistic about this. Glad to see Lenore and Chris back. It'll be interesting to see what stories they adapt this time.

I hope we get a better score and no third-person speech from our man.
“Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2021, 10:16:39 PM »
I hope we get a better score and no third-person speech from our man.
You and me both. I don't understand why folks don't get how horrible third person speech sounds. 

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2021, 12:48:46 AM »
Good to hear about Alyson's view on having an Asian actress do Jubile.

Honestly, I find it a bit sad she feels obligated to step aside in this day and age in fear of being cancelled by the media and twitter. She was a prominent voice actor in cartoons in a lot of our childhoods and it would be great to hear her again as Jubilee.

I agree, they should really calm down with the third person speak. Do it a couple of times for fun but that's it.

NicoPony

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2021, 09:27:51 AM »
Alyson is still on the show, just voicing a different character.

I was hoping to see some X-Men merch for sale. I really want a tee with the old is new again characters on it.

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2021, 12:15:50 PM »
There actually were some shirts, etc out with the TAS with redesigned uniforms (which started a lot of speculation about if a new cartoon was coming, lol)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2021, 02:35:58 PM »
X-Men originally tackled a lot of stories from around its years of airing and before - if they are taking up where they left off... we know how Gambit-heavy the mid to late 90s were for Gambit as a solo act (I think 3 solo/duo books?). Including his centric stories we can look forward to adaptations of; Operation Zero Tolerance, Magneto War, The Trial of Gambit, The Hunt for Xavier, Revolution, the Neo conflict, The Twelve... that's just random storylines from the late 90s. That era was very different from one the OG series was based on. Less centered around Cyclops' leadership, more fluid.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

NicoPony

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2021, 01:35:30 PM »
There actually were some shirts, etc out with the TAS with redesigned uniforms (which started a lot of speculation about if a new cartoon was coming, lol)

Time to Christmas shop!

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-4429803/girls-7-16-marvel-x-men-gambit-collage-panel-logo-graphic-tee.jsp?prdPV=275

Kohl’s knows little girls want to wear Gambit.

Now where’s the adult sizes? How come I can find child-sized Gambit shirts, but only adult Pokémon socks? What a world…

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2021, 02:51:58 PM »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2021, 11:31:30 AM »
With the announcement of the show, the first knee-bend comes from my man Clay Mann  ;D .  Lamenting how much he misses the franchise. Last I checked he was under an exclusive DC contract - but a public tweet is more like a warning shot. His contract is probably coming up and he's throwing out feelers. He's become a star artist. He comes back over the line he could probably pick his project. Avengers was a nice gravy boat with the MCU - but those characters are being phased out on the big screen. The X-Men is the new ticket for the foreseeable future. I said it. Cant wait for those "creators" to all of a sudden love Gambit.

https://twitter.com/Clay_Mann_/status/1460814320217034758
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

NicoPony

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2021, 12:42:39 PM »
There was a lot of Twitter chatter recently about our Guy, the majority of it being positive. I was happy to see Mr. Mann show up this morning in my feed.

It’s great to have the X-Men back on the small screen. You get much more intimate character driven stories, less OMG THE WORLD IS ENDING mad rush of random characters joining the fray like in movies. I don’t know that 97 will be the vehicle that delivers the kind of readership they’d gained back in the 90s. Comics aren’t that accessible or affordable. Some of them are not even readable. I know I’ve stared at a Bachalo drawn page before and just went: wut is going on here?! And Howard’s dialogue might as well be written in Greek. No idea what’s going on. The animated series does give a sort of Cliff’s Notes version to catch people up on what the X-Books are all about. A cleaner bare bones story of events is far more relatable than the ‘multi-plot-point need-a-spreadsheet and several diagrams to explain’ world Hickman has made. I hope the plot points 97 chooses to hit don’t involve anything Milligan/Austin came out with.

XTAS was campy, hokey at times, but it was also fun and optimistic. The movies just sucked the life out of X-Men and we ended up with Morrison that started 20 years worth of depressing toxicity. How much infighting and constant losing does anyone want to read? I hope the impact the cartoon has on the books is to bring back some of the joyfulness, the familial relationships, the playful banter I miss. Yeah, the XTAS Rogue and Gambit relationship was fun for all the reasons the article said. Just someone hide all the issues of Bizarre Love Triangle and Blood of Apocalypse from the Marvel Studios writers’ room and we’ll be fine.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2021, 12:51:27 PM »