Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2022  (Read 143283 times)

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
Re: Gambit Watch 2022
« Reply #315 on: August 31, 2022, 10:46:31 AM »
I looked at those KoX pages. I felt relieved more than anything.

Offline Zoks

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #316 on: August 31, 2022, 10:57:42 AM »
If we look at it optimistically Gambit was the only mutant that could have died and allowed for Betsy and Rachel to work out a way to resurrect Mutants in Otherworld. He had the backups in his Death persona and his Tarot magic, the knowledge to make a hall similar to Captain Britain's so Rachel can figure out how to skim through the timelines to find him, and the willpower to resist any changes the Siege Perilous would have dropped on him. All the Siege Perilous and the Death card did was bring out the worst of him, but at least that is still part of who he is.  Btw if Howard keeps him I wonder if she will power him up? His most recent Death powers were just his own powers during his Fabian Gambit solo before he started to charge his own teammates.

NicoPony

« Reply #317 on: August 31, 2022, 12:48:16 PM »
Anything that happens in KoX will be done in service to Betsy’s story. I hope her being in her own Captain Britain solo will mean Gambit is freed from TH’s writing. Generally solos mean other characters arent dragged along for the ride, right? God, I hope it’s not like Legacy with the return of Racky. TH can have a Betsy book full of Brit Corp Betsys with no other characters to have to bother with, her dream come true. Please don’t have Gambit follow her.

Where could Remy end up? I wouldn’t have minded him staying in Otherworld, just as long as he gets a new writer. Pretty sure Sunfire will be visiting OW soon, now that the gate is open. Where’s Polaris, she’s not busy. Let’s have a Horsemen reunion.

I enjoyed Gambit #2, but the art was a bit of a struggle. I liked it a lot more than #1 story wise. Hey, we continue the 90s theme with a Training Montage (‘You're the Best’ plays in the background)! Gambit is wet and shirtless! There’s kissing!

Offline Zoks

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #318 on: August 31, 2022, 01:10:35 PM »
I want Gambit to stay in Otherworld to establish a Thieves Guild there. Jim owes him a favor now, right?

Btw I suspect Howard will keep him, because I think she likes writing Romy stories.

Offline killphil

• Master Thief
« Reply #319 on: August 31, 2022, 06:28:31 PM »
You guys catch that New Sun cameo?

So two different Gambits today. Claremont's take was much better. Howard's wasn't that bad, seeing how Gambit was clearly not in his right mind what with dying and freaking out about resurrecting wrong (it looked like Gambit even while dead was struggling to hold on to his identity by remembering his love for Rogue). Also loved Deathbit with yet another set of powers. The tradition continues!

My take was that his powers were supposed to be the same as what was depicted in Limbo. Gambit saying that he wanted to change them with his gifts felt like a reference to whatever it was he did to Northstar and Dazzler   in that story from 12 years ago.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 06:43:02 PM by killphil »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #320 on: August 31, 2022, 07:08:58 PM »
I really dislike the male superhero underpants on the outside. No One Wants To See That. LOL

edit: they're tightie whities to boot with colors. C'mon -  boxers baby, boxers.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 07:47:49 PM by Nekobaghira »

NicoPony

« Reply #321 on: August 31, 2022, 07:39:52 PM »
I really dislike the male superhero underpants on the outside. No One Wants To See That. LOL

word. new son was raised in a bubble and fed via one of those gravity-fed hamster feeders, so can he really help it that he looks like he dressed in a dark closet of rejected superhero gear?

i do love Quinn’s art and the little details he snuck into gambit’s house of cards. it’s like you see something else every time!

i do hope cap Brit goes off into the multiverse or whatever and leaves Otherworld to more interesting characters. shiro/remy teamup to take down mad Jim would be perfection. we nearly had a horsemen reunion in XFactor, c’mon make it happen. I know BOA was bad, but the part where horsemen shiro and remy are rolling around in the snow having a slap fight and arguing like children right before sinister shows up actually makes me laugh. also there’s that data page in KoX where apocalypse talks about Death being the son that would kill him, then having Deathbit show up again, makes me super passionate about seeing gambit stab that big blue jerk right in the throat. so satisfying. we’d need a different writer tho if anything interesting is to happen.

magik is doing a magic school, maybe Ric can join her. I thought there were other magical proceedings afoot too, maybe in Immortal? (I got bored of that title and dropped it so I dunno.)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #322 on: September 01, 2022, 03:41:42 AM »
I really liked Gambit 2.
Story is fun and good written. Art is very beautiful.
Action scenes were cool. Gambit hitting a grenade with a bat and card flip both were awesome.
Glad to see Remy having a good time.
Really liked Marissa. She came to story naturally and is a very likable character. I already care about her much more than about Joelle.

I hope Gambit will stay away from Howard and otherworld as far as possible and will have a big and good role in Sinister Sins crossover in 2023.

Have a nice day, everyone.

Offline Zoks

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #323 on: September 01, 2022, 07:25:52 PM »
Hey now it could be worse. Whoever is writing X-force could get Gambit. Have you seen what they done to Sage?  We would be begging for Howard again.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #324 on: September 01, 2022, 11:04:44 PM »
Hey now it could be worse. Whoever is writing X-force could get Gambit. Have you seen what they done to Sage?  We would be begging for Howard again.
*chortle* ahhhh, NO to Howard ... Forever. LOL
But I love the optimism.

Offline wantutosigh

• Outcast
« Reply #325 on: September 06, 2022, 01:10:28 PM »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #326 on: September 07, 2022, 02:50:36 PM »
So I just finally skimmed through KoX 4 and 5 to see what you all were talking about... the $#%# was horrible. Flat out, bad. All around. Not just Gambit. But I'd expect nothing else from someone that obviously got most of her story from wikis and whatever D&D manual she's reading. Ok, they're together - why the @#@$ are Betsy and Rachel holding hands the whole time? They're just insta-in-deep-love now? Like effing teenagers? Is that really the time to start making out? Was no one concerned that they just watched their friend DIE, and then immediately lost his body? "Same old bastard", "I'm not going to go easy on you Remy" who is Betsy talking to/ about? Why the #@$@ were all the X-Men just sitting around afterward?! The mutha$@$@ died and they spent more time focused on an out-of-nowhere relationship than giving any real introspective - they literally just told us about it. And where the @#@$ did Santo (Rockslide/Wrongslide) come from? Pretty sure it wasn't him and was some sort of apparition made by the multi-verse hall place - but that was random as @#@$. It's like these writers don't actually know how to write or develop characters outside of their main focus and even then it barely makes any bloody sense.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 02:53:00 PM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #327 on: September 07, 2022, 02:58:12 PM »

Based on premise and cast - Gambit should have been on Hellions, or even Fallen Angels before that. Based solely on function- he should have been a recurring character in either Marauders or X-Corp or both (like Shaw). X-Force could have worked based on his being one of the most covert characters in the franchise - but they've softened him up so much over the years - he's barely a shadow of his old self. Probably trip over something and initiate a trap and then Quire would call him an idiot, despite originally idolizing him. I believe he called Gambit cool.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline wantutosigh

• Outcast
« Reply #328 on: September 07, 2022, 09:37:31 PM »
Finally got Gambit #2. I like it a lot more than #1. Better story, artwork, and action. We'll see where it goes. Who is narrating? I'd like to be in Gambit's head considering the title. I dig Gambit's demeanor and his confidence. Also, Remy wastes no time with the ladies. :gambit:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 09:39:03 PM by wantutosigh »

NicoPony

« Reply #329 on: September 08, 2022, 08:13:17 AM »
I sadly read KoX #5. I always think it’s not going to be as bad as everyone says it is. No. It’s worse. Betsy editorializes the entire plot, tells Rachel how to use her own powers, calls Gambit a b@st@rd and that she’s going to “get him home to his wife where he belongs.” But it’s coming from a bad@ss woman so that’s not condescending AND sexist at all. Interesting how she opens with Misogynist Merlyn who “hates all the women”, you know, for reasons. Lucky we have Betsy to show all the men who’s the BOSS. TH has written Betsy as a self-absorbed, self-satisfied, take no criticism, always proven right, invincible, know-it-all. And now she has a girlfriend!

Rockslide and Shiro’s appearances were completely random and seemingly irrelevant to the plot. With any other writer, I’d say it was foreshadowing. Maybe they were shoe-horned in there to set up another writer to take over Excalibur and bring these two on board.

Cleanse the pallet by re-reading Gambit 2.