Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2022  (Read 152876 times)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
Re: Gambit Watch 2022
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2022, 05:44:05 PM »
Three days and no one posted this?!

https://youtu.be/DjC6NUHhSZI 

It was a perfect setup.

Also, there is no ability for YouTube insert/embed?

Ahah, perfection!!!

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2022, 04:45:38 AM »
New Claremont interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_14UnCkxWZU

Starts to speak about Gambit around 1h12m
He wrote treatment for Gambit movie. Thinks that Tatum has his own ideas and Claremont is not on his radar.
Gambit mini is 5 issues:
3 stories,
tries a sense of humor
other X-Men will appear
it is got romance
we will learn secrets about his past
He didn`t read any new Gambit books to write it because mini is set in a specific point of time during Claremont`s run.
1:26
Gambit that exists is nothing like a Gambit Claremont had created. He had a completely different origin.
Everything he writes for Marvel is consistent to Marvel continuity and Gambit mini is in continuity.
If Claremont hadn’t left his Gambit would be vastly different character. His was there to seduce and destroy the core character of next X-Men generation Pryde.
He had a much nastier Gambit mind than Gambit is always just on the side of angels.
He is a thief and would steal the future from the X-Men.
Gambit in new mini is totally consistent for the most part with the current Gambit.

1:27:40 something about Gambit`s past that I can`t get. Maybe someone will check it.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2022, 06:32:00 AM »
X-Men 97 will have 10 episodes.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2022, 11:49:24 AM »
Thanks for all of the info Purp! Greatly appreciated.  :gambit:

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2022, 02:52:29 PM »

Russell Dauterman's IG story.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 09:42:16 AM by Nekobaghira »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2022, 02:53:46 PM »
Thanks for all of the info Purp! Greatly appreciated.  :gambit:
ALways glad, Boss ;)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2022, 02:55:36 PM »

Dauterman is drawing covers for X-Men RED so would be happy if it was for RED cover.
Gloves on pic looks like from 90s costume and not from KOX.
Gambit #1 2022 will arrive only with main cover and Alex Sinclair variant so it may be not for it too.

Offline wantutosigh

• Outcast
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2022, 05:55:28 PM »
Claremont drives me a little nuts sometimes with how much he has to mention how different his Gambit would've been. It's like, yeah we get it. Thing is Chris, the Gambit that was eventually realized after you left has tons of fans and through all the years still to this day remains one of the biggest fan favorites of the X-Men team. With basically no help from the movies. So keep that in mind please. Chances are that if he got his way Gambit might not be as beloved as he is. Thank you for creating him but understand he has tons of fans.

NicoPony

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2022, 08:00:42 PM »
CC did a decent enough job with Gambit during XXM and all, which was well past his initial idea. He can’t be mad a character he made got too popular to fail.

Offline Meliorist

• Guild Scholar
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2022, 08:45:33 PM »
Purp, at 1:27:40 CC says "Chose to use elements of his past that were hitherto unsuspected"

Offline thjan

• Guild Member
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2022, 08:46:14 PM »
Claremont drives me a little nuts sometimes with how much he has to mention how different his Gambit would've been. It's like, yeah we get it. Thing is Chris, the Gambit that was eventually realized after you left has tons of fans and through all the years still to this day remains one of the biggest fan favorites of the X-Men team. With basically no help from the movies. So keep that in mind please. Chances are that if he got his way Gambit might not be as beloved as he is. Thank you for creating him but understand he has tons of fans.

Yeah, this is how I feel on the subject.  We wouldn't have the Gambit we know today if he had gone though with any of the many "original" plans for Gambit he has talked about throughout the years.  He would have become a Madelyne Pryor type character or a re-occurring villain or something, none of which would have appealed to me.  I think he would have fizzled out as a character if those plans has come to be(I mean shoot, he wouldn't have even been a real character in half the plans).  I am actually glad editorial was nixed a lot of the more out there plans Claremont wanted to do(and not just with Gambit).   I actually think that is why Marvel was so successful in the 80s and 90s creatively.  You have to have that balance of letting your writers do their thing, but still have the editors there to rein them in when they go too far.  I know Jim Shooter gets a lot of flack from writers and some fans, but he ran a tight ship and I appreciate that when I read those comics from the 80s. You certainly can't say he stifled the writers too much when you look at the quality of the comics that came out under his tenure as editor-in-chief.  It started going too far the other way in the 2000s and now too many of the writers are given almost carte blanche to do whatever they want with these characters even if it ruins them for quite a while(especially the big name writers), and there is not even an attempt to maintain continuity or character consistency between the current titles, much less between the current comics and the comics of the past.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 08:51:42 PM by thjan »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2022, 05:55:48 AM »
Purp, at 1:27:40 CC says "Chose to use elements of his past that were hitherto unsuspected"

Thanks, Meliorist! I am ready for some shady past secrets
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 05:57:52 AM by purplevit »

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2022, 11:58:20 AM »
I said this on CBR and I’ll repeat, I wonder if Claremont is getting to the point where he’s mixing up some of his past ideas. Because he talked about some of his original plans in interviews from the 90’s. And kitty was never involved with the gambit story. His original description of his gambit ideas sounded like gambit was going to be conflicted to some extant (though I suppose I could have been reading into it.)

The character definitely wouldn’t have been as popular, because I can’t imagine evil pedo gambit being a fan favorite (or making it into the cartoon.)

Edit:stupid autocorrect
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 06:27:01 PM by anya »

Offline Icefanatic

• Master Thief
    • A Better Place - A Fandom Community Forum
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2022, 03:54:09 PM »
I said this on CBR and I’ll repeat, I wonder if Claremont is getting to the point where he’s mixing up some of his past ideas. Because he Ed interviews in the 90’s about some of his original plans and kitty was never involved with the gambit ones. His original description of his gambit ideas sounded like gambit was going to be conflicted to some extant (though I suppose I could have been reading into it.)

The character definitely wouldn’t have been as popular, because I can’t imagine evil pedo gambit being a fan favorite (or making it into the cartoon.)

I'm not sure how much of what CC(or anyone at Marvel for that matter) is saying can be believed.

It's common knowledge that CC found out literally right before the original X-Factor launch that it was happening(he had been deliberately kept out of it to avoid his objections over Jean's resurrection).

It was a Friday night and Ann [Nocenti, X-Men editor] took us out to dinner and didn’t tell us about a X-Factor until it was, like, 6:30-7:00 at night and the office switchboard was already closed. I wanted to call Shooter, but I couldn’t remember his direct line. Ann knew his number, but she wouldn’t tell me. She told me to just sit down, have another drink and relax. I mean, she played me beautifully. Since it was a Friday, I had the whole weekend to go berserk. I spent the weekend coming up with a whole new set of characters that they could use for X-Factor. The fact is, Ann did the smart thing. If I actually had gone in to see Shooter on Friday night, I would’ve quit. I was so pissed off. I couldn’t believe what they did to Cyclops. He was supposed to be a hero and they had him walking out on his wife and newborn child and not even thinking twice about it. No one was connecting the dots.”
-Chris Claremont, Comics Creators on X-Men

So he cobbled together a quick pitch substituting Jean's sister Sara for Jean, leaving Scott's marriage to Maddie intact, with the idea that the three single guys(Bobby, Warren and Hank) would vie for Sara's attentions romantically. He's told that story a bunch of times over the years, in interviews and at cons. Last year when he told it at a con, after talking about the three guys competing for Sara's affection, he took a pause and added something new.

'And Sara would have helped Bobby come to terms with his sexuality.'

First, Claremont has never been shy about discussing his plans for a character or their sexuality, whether it was addressed on-panel or not. Second, there has never been any mention of that in any of the endless prior accounts of that story. Third, the Comics Code in effect then would not have allowed that. Fourth, Marvel's Editor-In-Chief at that time, Jim Shooter, would not have allowed it and he was the person Claremont was desperately pitching this to as a Hail Mary to save Cyclops' character.

Simply put, it did not happen. And that is something that should be obvious to a large majority of fans. So why is CC saying it? I think for the same reason we got "Captain America was always Hydra" After the cosmic cube rewrote time. It's what is called an 'in-universe' answer. So why is CC giving an 'in-universe' answer to something like that, the kind of answer Marvel was giving about Cap prior to the Cosmic Cube time-travel reveal? In my opinion, it's more evidence my theory about Eva Bell rewriting the Marvel Universe into Old Man Logan's timeline is correct. And why comments about things like that regarding Gambit or Iceman or any other character should be take with a grain of salt, or even a possible hint of revelations to come, in these strange days.

#ConspiraXcy

NicoPony

« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2022, 12:12:23 PM »
https://aiptcomics.com/2022/02/11/x-men-monday-questions-chris-claremont/

First lewks at Gambit #1 and time to ask CC some well-thought questions. C'mon GG, let's come up with some good ones!